The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Panamoz just offered me the Tamron 70-180mm for £810 so I couldn’t resist and have one on the way :D
It's £910 on their website, how did you swing that then?

£776 here :)

Les
I think I may have to rethink my price somewhat :LOL::LOL:

They are normally open to some haggling on the prices. Got my A1 and A7C cheaper than listed prices at the time.
I did enquire about the 70-180mm and they offered me £820 about 4-5 weeks ago. I just decided against it.

if you do rethink your price I might be interested but I am in two minds about this lens in general hence I haven't yet made an offer.

Last edited:

As already mentioned they’re open to haggling (y)

I just realised today I have as many guitars as I have lenses.
You write that as if you feel it's a problem.
So do you need more guitars, more lenses, or more space for your collections?
(since less of either is clearly illogical :ROFLMAO: )

They are normally open to some haggling on the prices. Got my A1 and A7C cheaper than listed prices at the time.
I did enquire about the 70-180mm and they offered me £820 about 4-5 weeks ago. I just decided against it.

if you do rethink your price I might be interested but I am in two minds about this lens in general hence I haven't yet made an offer.
As you know I’ve been on the fence for quite some time but I do have a couple of events coming up soon that I’m off to and I can’t wait forever for the Gen II Sony. Plus that will be very expensive at launch so I’d probably wait for a couple of years before entertaining that and the Tamron is more than up to the job in the meantime. I might never get the Sony anyway (y)

As you know I’ve been on the fence for quite some time but I do have a couple of events coming up soon that I’m off to and I can’t wait forever for the Gen II Sony. Plus that will be very expensive at launch so I’d probably wait for a couple of years before entertaining that and the Tamron is more than up to the job in the meantime. I might never get the Sony anyway (y)
I have went Sony with all my main lenses except the Tamron 70-180. It is a bit plasticky but is fast to focus, sharp and very portable

Couple of shots from the weekend.

Lake at St James Park...

Both lovely pictures. The first picture may be spot on but to me it looks like it needs rotating anti clockwise, just a bit. It may be spot on and what I'm seeing may be an optical illusion but I'd be tempted to rotate it a bit.

BTW. That building front and centre, is that your place :D

Looks OK, alhtough I would have expected it to be a little bit lighter tbh.

I haven't looked into this lens but years ago when I had Canon DSLR's there was a similar Sigma I lusted after. These may not be top end lenses (they may be, I don't know) but if the price is ok they could be ok for someone like me, not too interested in top end quality and just want some pictures of squirrels and birds etc.

Last edited:

for me the main downside of this lens is it can't take TCs :(

for me the main downside of this lens is it can't take TCs :(
It’s not a lens I use TC’s with so that’s fine for me, if I want longer I just use my 100-400mm (y)

Looks like my 50GM is stuck in customs at Stansted.

Was supposed to be delivered today, :dummy:

I hope there's no dust in it.

Fingers crossed, touch wood etc...

I've got something arriving today.... Something I've kept quiet about...

An electric tyre inflator for my cars.

Last edited:
It’s not a lens I use TC’s with so that’s fine for me, if I want longer I just use my 100-400mm (y)

It's not just about longer it's also speed and size.
100-400mm is larger plus it extends. It's more expensive to own a 70-200mm plus 100-400mm (and in my case plus a 200-600mm).
100-400mm is at f5.6 at 200mm and 300mm.
70-200mm is f2.8 at 200mm. F4 at 280mm and f5.6 at 400mm.

If the 70-200mm+TCs was even remotely close to Sony 100-400 I would have got it.

Last edited:
It's not just about longer it's also speed and size.
100-400mm is larger plus it extends. It's more expensive to own a 70-200mm plus 100-400mm (and in my case plus a 200-600mm).
100-400mm is at f5.6 at 200mm and 300mm.
70-200mm is f2.8 at 200mm. F4 at 280mm and f5.6 at 400mm.

If the 70-200mm+TCs was even remotely close to Sony 100-400 I would have got it.
Yep completely get that, I was only talking about my needs (y). As I said before, in an ideal world I’d prefer the Sony but when you take into consideration weight and cost then the Tamron wins for me. I will be interested to see what the Gen II and the Sigma are like though, and if I do end up selling the Tamron again at some stage I shouldn’t lose too much on it. Will certainly be cheaper than renting (y)

Looks like my 50GM is stuck in customs at Stansted.

Was supposed to be delivered today, :dummy:
Hope it doesn’t take long, my watch was delayed in customs for over a week recently :(

Thank you, I saw Wes Perry recommends that charger in one of his videos,
Did you have to pay any tax when it got to UK?

Thanks, I'll have a look at that one too.

No, it was only $40 so I think we can get away with that. It is a nice charger, Im really pleased with it and no need to change the top plate either unlike the cube2

Ooh dear Fed Ex has just confirmed that my parcel is lost or stolen so there will be no 50GM coming anytime soon for me.Will have to contact Panamoz for refund or replacement.

Terrible news

It's amazing how often this seems to happen.

Bad luck and better luck going forward.

Ooh dear Fed Ex has just confirmed that my parcel is lost or stolen so there will be no 50GM coming anytime soon for me.Will have to contact Panamoz for refund or replacement.
:(

Would Panamoz pursue this after sorting you out or would it just be treated as a w/o to them?

Would Panamoz pursue this after sorting you out or would it just be treated as a w/o to them?

Have no idea, they have not replied yet.

If I haven’t heard from them by tomorrow I will be raising a claim with PayPal.

It's amazing how often this seems to happen.

Bad luck and better luck going forward.

More annoying is that someone else from FedEx has just phoned back to confirm it’s lost. They just happened to mention that there has been quite a lot of large value items going missing after going through customs recently. They seemed to be implying that there is a lot of theft at the moment in customs.

They always respond. Customer service is the main (not only) reason I buy from them.

More annoying is that someone else from FedEx has just phoned back to confirm it’s lost. They just happened to mention that there has been quite a lot of large value items going missing after going through customs recently. They seemed to be implying that there is a lot of theft at the moment in customs.

You'd think it'd be worth tightening up a bit but I suppose any CCTV monitoring, restrictions or searches would be an infringement of rights.

When I bought My A7C from Panamoz, who had price-matched E-Infin, it was despatched by FedEx. When it didn’t arrive, Panamoz immediately arranged a replacement to be sent out by UPS. The total delay from first expected delivery date to successful delivery was 7 days. Plus they generously gave me a compensation payment without me asking. Now that’s customer service.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but my first thought is someone in FedEx knowing that these packages are trying to slip through customs and therefore perhaps less questions being asked by the vendor making them tempting to nick?

Back