The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have an app that does it for me.

Ah. That explains it :D

I'm allergic to smartphones.

Not that I do night time scenes but if and when I'll use the 500 rule or there abouts.

Last edited:
That may be so and CA is high for a modern prime but in a wider context it's not all that bad... IMO, and it's not the worst lens for CA I've used by a very long way. CA is for me just something to consider. I wouldn't write the lens off because of it unless someone is going to be taking a lot of pictures that will show CA. Anyone considering this lens should deffo think about CA and all the other issues and the positives too.

Anything backlit will show it at its worst, most wedding photographers and portrait photographer shoot backlit a lot.

I know quite a few people that bought the 35 f/1.8 and ditched it again straight away because of C.A. You can put up with the messy bokeh the C.A not so much.

In saying that I did like the lens it’s small, and the minimum focus distance is great but it just did t make any sense to keep it when it would never be used again.

Looking at buying the 200-600mm and 1.4x.

Panamoz will do them at the same price as E-infinity as long as I am prepared to wait 7-14 days but at least I get the 3 year warranty.

Not used either before as I always buy used ... how long to E-infinity take to deliver?

Anything backlit will show it at its worst, most wedding photographers and portrait photographer shoot backlit a lot.

I know quite a few people that bought the 35 f/1.8 and ditched it again straight away because of C.A. You can put up with the messy bokeh the C.A not so much.

In saying that I did like the lens it’s small, and the minimum focus distance is great but it just did t make any sense to keep it when it would never be used again.

I think this is the only picture I've taken with the 35mm f1.8 that shows CA. I can see it but no one else I've shown this to (in the world, not on a forum) have seen it.

5EJQayy.jpg

The 35mm f1.4 will no doubt be better but the 35mm f1.8 is already pushing it for me for size as I just don't like bulky kit. I might get that 35mm f1.4 one day but as I said in another thread what I'd rather have is top end performance in a f1.8/f2 lens to keep the bulk down a bit.

Looking at buying the 200-600mm and 1.4x.

Panamoz will do them at the same price as E-infinity as long as I am prepared to wait 7-14 days but at least I get the 3 year warranty.

Not used either before as I always buy used ... how long to E-infinity take to deliver?
At best a week, but normally longer.

I think you'd be looking at similar timescales from e-infinity so might as well get from Panamoz for extra warranty if same price.

Took a trip to Stonehenge last night. The weather was "interesting", a lot of fog and mist set in but what really screwed with me was it seemed like we were in perpetual twilight. The sky never really got dark!

Here are a couple quick ones I processed.... I have got a few more that I wanted to stack (not sure how well that will work out but that's the plan for later....)

Shot with tamron 17-28mm @ 17mm (cropped to about 18mm)
51303133567_787c072f7b_b.jpg

And 35GM
51304893615_d0636d8957_b.jpg
Very cool! I like the tighter crop better. Where I live in north Scotland we won't get real darkness till the second or third week of August. We have been clouded every night for about a month. I've missed all the NLC clouds action there has been lately.

I’ve found the opposite, I was always cleaning the sensor on my Nikons, having dozens of spots to clean each time. I’ve rocket blown my A9ii twice, each time having only one spec of dust that’s blown off easily.
Same here it makes little sense but my 5Dii was much worse.
The mirror doesn't keep dust out it just wafts it about I guess

I probably have got a bit less fussy and a bit more careful.
If I have the blower I use it around the lens mount before removing - then have everything ready for very swift swap and hold the body opening downwards.
In nearly three years the A7iii has had one wet clean

Very cool! I like the tighter crop better. Where I live in north Scotland we won't get real darkness till the second or third week of August. We have been clouded every night for about a month. I've missed all the NLC clouds action there has been lately.
Thanks
The weather has been quite bad here too. Was lucky to catch a break yesterday.
Totally missed all the NLC action this year. Though I haven't spent much effort photographing them. I did a few years back and got some nice shots. they are bit harder to time for me.

It's the post processing that I'm finding a steep hill to climb, it's a world away from the fairly basic pp that I've been getting away with for wildlife and macro for years.
It's certainly more involved than I have done in past. I can do a simple merge in PS for foreground and stars. But I have never done long stacks in past or any of the more advanced stuff in the past.

Tbh A7III with its really good high ISO would be just as good unless you are looking to print massive even then 24mp is no slouch

I went to Japan for that single photo, I really should get some iconic photos of this island too really. Now my brain is going…I think that tracking thing would be good for some cleaner low iso images.

Do you know what it is called?

Last edited:
I went to Japan for that single photo, I really should get some iconic photos of this island too really. Now my brain is going…I think that tracking thing would be good for some cleaner low iso images.

Move shoot move.
You can do a lot without the tracker.
I'd perfecting the post processing aspects before getting a tracker.

There is an ioptron tracker in sales that does the same thing.

It's certainly more involved than I have done in past. I can do a simple merge in PS for foreground and stars. But I have never done long stacks in past or any of the more advanced stuff in the past.
The stacking is the easy bit right from camera and lens settings through to the automated software image stacking, it's the rest of the process that's the hill to climb for me.
Until I started astrophotography I thought that stretching was something you did in yoga....

The stacking is the easy bit right from camera and lens settings through to the automated software image stacking, it's the rest of the process that's the hill to climb for me.
Until I started astrophotography I thought that stretching was something you did in yoga....
I can imagine it does get a bit tiresome especially with tracked panos and deep space stuff with a lot of frames and processing.
I am still a fair way from all those stretches :D

Only the 3 most recent images here are using the Move Shoot Move tracker. All the rest without & on the 8 year old A7!!

Would you recommend them? I guess they allow you to shoot longer with lower ISO.
Indeed you have to remember your foreground will be blurred as a result with your stars being sharp.
So you'll need to take separate shots for foreground (static untracked parts) and separate shots for the stars (tracked moving part). Then blend them in post.

A7r4. Has anyone ditched it in favour of another model to get more reliable eye af. Struggled a bit over the weekend in shadow and when my subject was wearing a hat.
Not actually the end of the world..

I got to the following via Petapixel...

The backroads of America.

This made me think of a fishing trip I went on in Kazakhstan. It was an 8 hour drive through the Kazakh countryside to get to the location and we passed through some diverse and interesting countryside and abandoned installations but unfortunately there was no time to photograph it, we just drove through it. What an amazing country though and I'd love to do that trip again and be able to photograph it.

Last edited:
A7r4. Has anyone ditched it in favour of another model to get more reliable eye af. Struggled a bit over the weekend in shadow and when my subject was wearing a hat.
Not actually the end of the world..

yes for the A1 :D
tbh I never had issues with the A7R4 even for people. It does struggle a bit with lower light or low contrast. I never considered it to be so bad that I had to swap bodies just because of it.
everything else (but the A1) will have another downside for getting better AF.

Its rather long.... :(

He talks a lot.

I found it boring. I'd much rather watch something from those blind elephants, The Undone man, Kai or Ortiz but I thought someone might get something from it, apart from a migraine :D

He talks a lot.

I found it boring. I'd much rather watch something from those blind elephants, The Undone man, Kai or Ortiz but I thought someone might get something from it, apart from a migraine :D
digitialrev was like the top gear of camera world when Kai was part of it.
it was entertaining and may be once in a blue moon you learnt something. but now I find him mostly boring.

Question on using the astro tracker...

I am trying to picture the workflow in my head. So...

1 - You point the tracker at Polaris so that it knows where the centre axis to spin
2 - You take the shot
3 - You take the foreground
4 - You blend them.

That's all fine but if you take the 1st shot with the rotation, if there is a foreground on that shot won't the foreground becomes a mass of blur? so how do you resolve the edges where the ground blurs with the sky overlap?

Is there a feature in LR that blends these automatically like it does with panoramic stitching? Or do people do these in PS with layer mask?

Scarily Canon has 2 more cards up it’s sleeve, the R3 and R1. Historically the 1 series has been the flagship and I don’t expect that to change. Sony needs to up the spec across the board to keep up when they do that.

Scarily Canon has 2 more cards up it’s sleeve, the R3 and R1. Historically the 1 series has been the flagship and I don’t expect that to change. Sony needs to up the spec across the board to keep up when they do that.

people are automatically assuming R3+R1 will be way better than A1 because R5 is supposedly so close to A1.
I think (looking on rumours online) R3 will be A9 equivalents and R1 will be A1 equivalent but with larger sport bodies.

The main thing you are paying for on A1 or A9 is the stacked sensor. they are really expensive to manufacture.
R3 will be probably 20-30-ish MP with stacked sensor and all people going around saying R6 is as good as A9 and R5 is nearly as good as A1 will see the R3 is in the same boat.
yes R6 and R5 are really great bodies but they are limited in electronic mode.

but canon are adding some really interesting and sometimes useful features like the eye detect AF thing, 8 stops IBIS, inbody focus stack etc. from that respect sony really does in need to up their game.

At the moment canon and sony have very different offerings. Sony really doesn't have an alternatives for R5 and R6 and Canon doesn't for A7RIV, A9 or A1. Sony will probably come out with A7IV and canon with R3 and R1. A7RIV and R5 are designed very differently so may be they'll never converge who knows.

Last edited:
Unless canon changes their line up numbering system.

It goes from single digits pro, double digits semi pro, triple digits consumer and 4 digits … beginner.

And in the single digits 1 is always the flagship and that historically has had all the tech thrown in, it’s always been the best at everything, size irrelevant. And then refreshes like every 5-6 years with its tech trickle down.

So going by how they have done their numbering historically, the R3 and R1 will be better, not different like Sony splits it’s S and R range, but just more tech the higher you go.

Unless they decide to throw that out the window this time round.

Back