The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I took a few handheld cityscape shots from waterloo bridge on wednesday evening just around or before sunset. Can't quite get them processed exactly as I envisaged but I think they're ok.
First one is with the Sony 70-350mm and the second and third are with the Sigma 16mm with the third one bracketed at -2 /+2 stops.

London Eye by Merlin 5, on Flickr

London Eye 2 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

View From Waterloo Bridge 3 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
I took a few handheld cityscape shots from waterloo bridge on wednesday evening just around or before sunset. Can't quite get them processed exactly as I envisaged but I think they're ok.
First one is with the Sony 70-350mm and the second and third are with the Sigma 16mm with the third one bracketed at -2 /+2 stops.

London Eye by Merlin 5, on Flickr

London Eye 2 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

View From Waterloo Bridge 3 by Merlin 5, on Flickr
Nice pics. Some pretty severe banding in the sky on the last shot, have you done a lot of highlight adjustments or something?

Nice pics. Some pretty severe banding in the sky on the last shot, have you done a lot of highlight adjustments or something?

Fairly heavy handed HDR.

You're right chaps. I had a doubt during processing and you've confirmed it. Seems I was too aggressively trying to enhance the blue and orange with a linear gradient and caused banding. I'll redo the sky.

@Merlin5
Love the Eye close up.

Thanks Trevor, that's my favourite shot. :) It's fun using telephoto for city/landscape, not really done that before.

Some Super6 Rugby tonight for the A9, 400mm F2.8 and me. We all did fairly well early on and battled through when the iso went 10k plus.

_A9_1735 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_1292 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_0973 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_0747 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr_A9_0606 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Topaz Denoise would sort that noise and still keep pretty much all the sharpness. I tried it on your first image and it cleaned it all up but softened the sharpness. But if you were to use Topaz on the raw files before processing, the detail should look as good as identical.

A question for our London guys...

Me and the Mrs will be in London week after next, arriving mid day one day and leaving at about 16:00 the next. We staying just about next to the Thai embassy in Kensington where Mrs WW has an appointment which should be pretty quick (it takes just 10 minutes in Thailand, says she) so we're looking for something to do in the free time... I'd like to hit a museum but Mrs WW would be bored to death, she likes parks and flowers so apart from Hyde Park is there anything we should be visiting?

Pretty boring compared to most on here. But I've always liked the design of this Apartment Block.
35gm

Woking Apartment Block.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

We passed this one in Singapore several times. It looks like a pile of shoe boxes or shipping containers to me. It makes a change from straight up and down though.

zcuKKZp.jpg

Me and the Mrs will be in London week after next, arriving mid day one day and leaving at about 16:00 the next. We staying just about next to the Thai embassy in Kensington where Mrs WW has an appointment which should be pretty quick (it takes just 10 minutes in Thailand, says she) so we're looking for something to do in the free time... I'd like to hit a museum but Mrs WW would be bored to death, she likes parks and flowers so apart from Hyde Park is there anything we should be visiting?
If you are in Kensington then give Holland park a visit.
There have a very nice Japanese style Kyoto garden plus free roaming peacocks.
By the way you can't just show up at the door of the museums now, you'll have to book a ticket (even though it's free)

If you are in Kensington then give Holland park a visit.
There have a very nice Japanese style Kyoto garden plus free roaming peacocks.
By the way you can't just show up at the door of the museums now, you'll have to book a ticket (even though it's free)

Yes, I know that about the museums but as Mrs is so anti I haven't bothered booking.

Thanks for the tip on Holland park... I'm googling it :D

A couple of photos I just uploaded from Wednesday during one of my day and evening walkabouts around Southbank. Led Zeppelin was the inspiration for the first title. :D

Stairway To Lemon

Stairway To Lemon by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Shootin' The Breeze

Shootin' The Breeze
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Looks like he's on his way to Kashmir :)

Rob.

Looks like he's on his way to Kashmir :)

Rob.

Took me a second and then I realised what you did there. Lol, nice :D

Topaz Denoise would sort that noise and still keep pretty much all the sharpness. I tried it on your first image and it cleaned it all up but softened the sharpness. But if you were to use Topaz on the raw files before processing, the detail should look as good as identical.
Had a go with DXO Deep Prime. Hate the interface but very impressed by the results. I can't get on with Topaz, never seems to work for me. DXO has produced a wee bit of a plasticky look for the player charging the kick but that is because he isn't as sharp as he could be. The other player it has done a great job with. More annoyingly I like its automatic processing better than what I did with the sliders. Colour is better and I really like how it has set the exposure and contrast. It may well be that I can just shove all the images in and let it do its things. Can DXO batch process including Deep Prime and just leave me to do the cropping
_A9_1735_DxO by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_0973_DxO by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Jump on a District Line tube to Kew Gardens.
If you come to London by train use the 2 for 1 offer

Another vote for Holland Park here. Depending on when your appointment at the embassy is, you could head down to Kew Gardens if you have a few hours to spare.

Had a go with DXO Deep Prime. Hate the interface but very impressed by the results. I can't get on with Topaz, never seems to work for me. DXO has produced a wee bit of a plasticky look for the player charging the kick but that is because he isn't as sharp as he could be. The other player it has done a great job with. More annoyingly I like its automatic processing better than what I did with the sliders. Colour is better and I really like how it has set the exposure and contrast. It may well be that I can just shove all the images in and let it do its things. Can DXO batch process including Deep Prime and just leave me to do the cropping
_A9_1735_DxO by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_0973_DxO by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
I’ve recently adopted Deep Prime. Its results on Sony files, more so from A6xxx but also on ff, are amazing. It’s as if it should have a manual gearbox but only has an auto because it doesn’t need one.

Another vote for Holland Park here. Depending on when your appointment at the embassy is, you could head down to Kew Gardens if you have a few hours to spare.

Her appointment is early in the morning and we don't have to be at Kings Cross until 16:00 so we should have a good few hours to wander about.
Jump on a District Line tube to Kew Gardens.
If you come to London by train use the 2 for 1 offer

Will look into it.

The last time I was in London was years ago... probably more than 25 and maybe as long as 30 and even then it was only to go to Elstree Computers so all pointers are gratefully accepted :D

Les, I'm not into bird photography so keep that in mind as I may be talking tosh but those pictures look faultless to me. Well Done :D

Back