The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The bits I like are the constant Bluetooth connection it's so annoying on current gen cameras.
The closable shutter is nice as well, other than that not much to offer me.

How do the newer sensors compare to the older sensors? Im thinking about my a7r2 here?
There is alot to like with the IV, slightly improved EVF, better AF, articulating screen, constant bluetooth connection (use for GPS finally!!!!!), new menu's, dual cards, better battery life, but I am still unsure.

The drop in resolution concerns me, I know the a7r2 sensor is good, would I gain anything from the newer sensors that might offset the drop in MP?

I would have liked higher res EVF, and more MP, I think I would seriously be considering it if it was 36MP rather than 33 which puts me on the fence over this one. It is a big jump in some ways, but in others not so much..

How do the newer sensors compare to the older sensors? Im thinking about my a7r2 here?
There is alot to like with the IV, slightly improved EVF, better AF, articulating screen, constant bluetooth connection (use for GPS finally!!!!!), new menu's, dual cards, better battery life, but I am still unsure.

The drop in resolution concerns me, I know the a7r2 sensor is good, would I gain anything from the newer sensors that might offset the drop in MP?

I would have liked higher res EVF, and more MP, I think I would seriously be considering it if it was 36MP rather than 33 which puts me on the fence over this one. It is a big jump in some ways, but in others not so much..
sensors haven't improved a huge lot since A7RII in terms of image quality.
But there's been plenty of improvements in other areas that you noted like AF, EVF etc.

this new sensor may have improved things but no will know till we see more technical comparisons.

Last edited:
I'd definitely say AF is the really noticeable improvement from early bodies.

I'd definitely say AF is the really noticeable improvement from early bodies.

I'll be honest, I'm struggling to see ever the AF advancement is worth it (for me)? Because the A7iii performs so well, and even on weddings where I take thousands of images, very few are often out of focus because of a camera problem.

I'll be honest, I'm struggling to see ever the AF advancement is worth it (for me)? Because the A7iii performs so well, and even on weddings where I take thousands of images, very few are often out of focus because of a camera problem.
I wouldn't call an A7iii an early body though. 1 and 2 only really. When I jumped from a 1 to a 4 basically it's ridiculous how much better the AF is.

I think real time tracking is real improvement both in terms of hit rate and usability. I can see that being of good use in a weddings situation.

but you went from arguably the worst (A7R) to arguably the best (A7C) in the A7 series (well A7iv is probably the new best....)
Sorry I don't understand your point. What if not AF has improved more from the early cameras?

Sorry I don't understand your point. What if not AF has improved more from the early cameras?
just meaning to say the difference you notice and Martin might notice might not be as "ridiculous" in terms of AF

TBH it's very hard to see what photographic improvements they might have made for the A7IV without cannibalising other cameras in the range. Better EVF and a flippy screen are good but not going to be a USP. It's a competent camera, but innovation would be impossible.

Last edited:
TBH it's very hard to see what photographic improvements they might have made for the A7IV without cannibalising other cameras in the range. Better EVF and a flippy screen are good but not going to be a USP. It's a competent camera, but innovation would be impossible.
20fps with canon R6 style blackout free shooting plus 1/60s silent shutter clearance speed like R5/6.
In comparison A9's electronic shutter scan speed is 1/160s, R3 does 1/200s and A1 does 1/250s.

You are right, EVF, flip screen are quality of life improvement but is not as helpful as AF.

I'm tempted. +'s for me personally are the larger mexapixel count to allow for more cropping of tiny birds, Bird EyeAF (massive for me this), real time tracking should hopefully improve hit rate of moving subjects dramatically over the A7iii. -'s are fps and laughable rear screen res.

Most of my positives are as you can see due to enjoying bird and wildlife photography. I've nearly gone the A9 route a few times, but the lack of Bird EyeAF and no cropping advantage over the A7iii have stopped me. I've been toying with an R5 as I feel it would really suit me, but the lack of anything like the Sony 200-600 is putting me off somewhat.

Me and my wife managed to get a quick play with a pre-production a7iv this morning, (don't tell Sony). My missus may have changed her mind about upgrading the A7III's no point worrying about it for now though as it likely be a good while before there is any stock availability.

For me it would be all the quality of life enhancements, they are little things, but when coming from gen 2 models, there are a hell of a lot of improvements. It was the always on Bluetooth that first made me sit up, GPS or lack of drives me up the wall sometimes. I'm in no rush, but I am going to have a good think about this one.

+ New menus
+ Bluetooth connectivity
+ Bit better EVF
+ Better battery
+ Much better AF including animals, R2 suffers on that one

- drop in resolution
- doesn't have that proper upgrade feel
- a7r2 is still a very good camera image wise

If I had a 7iii, then not enough reason to upgrade, but with an A7r2 the reasons are more over long term frustrations. The A7rIV is also possible, but I don't need that many MP, A1 I'd love, but too rich for me

I had a scare last night. I'd been out for about 7 hours in London and in the evening it rained hard. I was shooting in the rain with the Sigma 16mm and constantly wiping the lens. When I got home and viewed some photos through the EVF it was fogged up but on the inside. And viewing the room I was in, it was all misted up in the EVF and also live view. The rear glass of the lens had condensation which I was able to wipe away although it quickly misted up again. Fortunately the EVF is back to normal today.

those cameras still use the old processor and they did really give A9 a major update with fw v5.0.
I think you are the end of what that processor can do.
So the A9-II has the old processor too? Does that mean it's only the A1 and A74 with the newer one?

sensors haven't improved a huge lot since A7RII in terms of image quality.
But there's been plenty of improvements in other areas that you noted like AF, EVF etc.

this new sensor may have improved things but no will know till we see more technical comparisons.
What about colour science, they've improved that with each generation imo.

It's a brilliant feature.
Run an FTP server on my mobile.
Connect camera to phone via FTP.
My phone syncs with my home NAS.
Every photo I then take instantly uploads to my home NAS.
You inspired me to have a go setting up an FTP transfer with my A9 and android. Apart from clumsily hitting something I never wanted to on the touchscreen for the server app it was very easy. It has failed a few transfers for some reason but I will keep trying and it is a mile easier than using the Sony App. The images also show up first in the Lightroom app so another few clicks saved. I actually managed some tweets during my last Rugby game but it was hard to do and follow the action. The FTP should mean I can have the images on the phone when I there is a stoppage which should make it much easier. Cheers for the nudge I needed. Hoping the imminent arrival of an A9 ii will make it even quicker to transfer

Back