The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The Z9 looks impressive. A few bold statements stood out for me; 1) The world's best AF, 2) The first truly blackout free shooting, and 3) Fastest scan time

1 is a bold claim and I'm not sure how you go about proving such a claim, but the second is interesting. On my A9-II I can't tell that extra frames are added to make up for the blackout, but. I'm interested try a truly blackout free to see what that's like. I wonder if this is somehow linked to 3), and if so it suggests we're getting close to a global shutter?
1) I wish that is the case and hopefully will give Sony the kick to not simply sit on their previous success in this area.
2) I am surprised by this claim more that anything. I always felt A9 onwards was truly blackout free
3) the scan speed is 1/270s vs. 1/260s of the A1. I can't imagine 1/10s making such a big difference (I only see that as them trying to get one up for marketing than any real world implications)

The other interesting thing is there is no mechanical shutter? If so how does bulb mode work?

Also the price is $1000 less than A1 which is really great.

Downsides I see - 3.69M dot EVF, A1 has 3 times resolution plus high magnification @0.9x

Also the EVF refresh is 60hz vs. upto 240hz A1 can do.

So they have certainly cut some corners to keep the price down....

Last edited:
1) I wish that is the case and hopefully will give Sony the kick to not simply sit on their previous success in this area.
2) I am surprised by this claim more that anything. I always felt A9 onwards was truly blackout free
3) the scan speed is 1/270s vs. 1/260s of the A1. I can't imagine 1/10s making such a big difference (I only see that as them trying to get one up for marketing than any real world implications)

The other interesting thing is there is no mechanical shutter? If so how does bulb mode work?

Also the price is $1000 less than A1 which is really great.

Downsides I see - 3.69M dot EVF, A1 has 3 times resolution plus high magnification @0.9x

Also the EVF refresh is 60hz vs. upto 240hz A1 can do.

So they have certainly cut some corners to keep the price down....
The EVF refresh rate is disappointing, I'd missed that.

The EVF refresh rate is disappointing, I'd missed that.
60Hz is still usable IMO.
120hz is ideal.
I can't really tell the difference above that.
In fact on A1 the trade off is 120hz @0.9x or 240Hz @0.76x magnification.
I prefer using the former

Depending on the configuration of the stacked sensor, it could be used to integrate short exposure time images into a final long exposure image.
You mean something like Panasonic or Olympus' live composite feature?
Not really true long exposure though is it?
Also I saw no mention of such a feature....
Or may be they hide it for the end user

Yes effectively that, a composite build, whether its available to the user doesn't matter to the actual function. Agreed its not true long exposure

We don't know how many layers are in the stack, there could be an extra one compared with other stacked sensor cameras, which would also help with the blackoutfree shooting

We don't really have enough information to tell.

I'm not tempted no. I tend to be a zoom shooter primarily and if I use primes I use them for their subject isolation so want f1.8 or faster.

f2.8 or faster zooms tend to be bigger, heavier and more expensive whereas a slower prime may be smaller, lighter, cheaper and can often offer better image quality at the zooms maximum aperture. With the zoom you do get more flexibility though.

£5,299 UK

Is there much of a market for these integrated grip cameras?

Looking at integrated grip Canons the other day they looked massive and frankly ridiculous to me in these days of smaller mirrorless cameras. I know that the grip makes portrait orientation shooting more comfortable but you're then dealing with a larger heavier body so I wouldn't want one for portraits, and I'd rather have the grips extra batteries in a bag and you can always add a grip to a smaller A7x body. But that's all just me.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any thoughts on good lenses options for hiking where size/weight is important. I've used a 5Dmk2 and 24-105 F/4 for years but it died and I wanted to go a little smaller and newer so have a A7 IV on order.

24-105 F/4 is pushing it size wise, but I may still try it.
24-70 F/4 is a good size but quality doesn't seem great. It might be worth a compromise though.
24mm F2.8 is interesting as a small option.
24mm F1.4 is interesting as a mid size/weight option of high quality.

A little zoom is useful but it's quite tempting to look at primes for those days where I want to carry a smaller setup.

Build quality is important to me as the kit will be used and abused whilst out hiking. Protecting it perfectly is not realistic.

I might take my old setup to a shop and compare size/weight of some of these options.

To me, the obvious choice would be the Tamron 28-70 f2.8, plus 17-28 or possibly a wider prime.

60Hz is still usable IMO.
120hz is ideal.
I can't really tell the difference above that.
In fact on A1 the trade off is 120hz @0.9x or 240Hz @0.76x magnification.
I prefer using the former
It is useable, and I think that's what I had on the A7RIV if memory serves me right? However, this is there flagship sports camera spouting the fastest this and the fastest that, but then they stick in a sub par (in terms of the competition) EVF that has the potential of lag. Seems a very odd choice to me.
I never thought about bulb tbh. What is the reason electronic shutters can't be used for bulb, I can't remember?
f2.8 or faster zooms tend to be bigger, heavier and more expensive whereas a slower prime may be smaller, lighter, cheaper and can often offer better image quality at the zooms maximum aperture. With the zoom you do get more flexibility though.
Very true and I'm not saying there's not a place for these lenses, they're just not for me for the reasons I mentioned (y)

Very true and I'm not saying there's not a place for these lenses, they're just not for me for the reasons I mentioned (y)

As I said above, thinking about these lenses reminded me of the f3.5's I have and the even slower primes of the past. They're not for everyone but I think they do have a place.

Last edited:
@nandbytes where've you seen that the Z9 EVF refresh rate is 60hz? I've been on both the UK and US Nikon sites and can't see anywhere it mentions the EVF refresh rate :thinking:

“where've you seen that the Z9 EVF refresh rate is 60hz? I've been on both the UK and US Nikon sites and can't see anywhere it mentions the EVF refresh rate”

Engadget review states

“It has a 3.69 million dot OLED viewfinder with just a 60 fps refresh rate, but Nikon said that it always delivers that speed and never downgrades it no matter what you're doing. It uses a multi-direction rear LCD and not a fully-articulating screen, but you can tilt t he screen up to face yourself.”

“where've you seen that the Z9 EVF refresh rate is 60hz? I've been on both the UK and US Nikon sites and can't see anywhere it mentions the EVF refresh rate”

Engadget review states

“It has a 3.69 million dot OLED viewfinder with just a 60 fps refresh rate, but Nikon said that it always delivers that speed and never downgrades it no matter what you're doing. It uses a multi-direction rear LCD and not a fully-articulating screen, but you can tilt t he screen up to face yourself.”
Thanks. Strange that there's nothing listed on the Nikon site.
A fellow Hog owner (y) Nice bike :cool: I bet those wheels take some cleaning :oops: :$

So sorry all, big mistake and posted in the wrong thread. :banghead:

George.

Last edited:
Is there much of a market for these integrated grip cameras?

Looking at integrated grip Canons the other day they looked massive and frankly ridiculous to me in these days of smaller mirrorless cameras. I know that the grip makes portrait orientation shooting more comfortable but you're then dealing with a larger heavier body so I wouldn't want one for portraits, and I'd rather have the grips extra batteries in a bag and you can always add a grip to a smaller A7x body. But that's all just me.
I've wondered the same especially as I noticed on a number of A1/A9 reviews complaints that it didn't have an integrated grip although one did point out they thought it was a plus the cameras didn't have a grip because it meant they could be easily used in a mechanical gimbal. For me it's a plus not having the grip and on jumping between the D750 and the A9 at the moment I'm surprised how bulky the D750 feels and it's on the smaller/lighter side of DSLRs, I did have a grip for the D700 which I thought worked well and didn't seem a downside compared to an integrated grip.

I still haven't fully changed over from Nikon and have a range of good F-mount lenses which I'd love to use with silent, blackout free shooting but the integrated grip on the Z9 immediately takes it out of consideration even if it does work well with F-mount lenses.

The Z9 looks impressive. A few bold statements stood out for me; 1) The world's best AF, 2) The first truly blackout free shooting, and 3) Fastest scan time

1 is a bold claim and I'm not sure how you go about proving such a claim, but the second is interesting. On my A9-II I can't tell that extra frames are added to make up for the blackout, but. I'm interested try a truly blackout free to see what that's like. I wonder if this is somehow linked to 3), and if so it suggests we're getting close to a global shutter?

Looks really good but I can't jump ship for the Z9 although I'd like to. If that tech finds it's way to a Z850 then those 2 cameras would be enough for me to go back (I miss you Nikon lol)

I still haven't fully changed over from Nikon and have a range of good F-mount lenses which I'd love to use with silent, blackout free shooting but the integrated grip on the Z9 immediately takes it out of consideration even if it does work well with F-mount lenses.

I did have a Canon SLR with a grip but of course it was still not the bulk and weight that an integrated DSLR or even mirrorless will be.

The obvious thing is you can make a small camera bigger by adding a grip or plate but you can't easily make a big camera smaller.

Looks really good but I can't jump ship for the Z9 although I'd like to. If that tech finds it's way to a Z850 then those 2 cameras would be enough for me to go back (I miss you Nikon lol)
Fortunately for me (as I'm too easily tempted) the fact their 70-200mm f2.8 is still pretty heavy and they don't have a lightweight sports body means that I'm not tempted back to the Z system. I think the fact they've made the 24-120mm f4 is lighter than the Sony 24-105mm, and the 14-30mm f4 is lighter than the Sony 16-35mm f4 is impressive though.

Fortunately for me (as I'm too easily tempted) the fact their 70-200mm f2.8 is still pretty heavy and they don't have a lightweight sports body means that I'm not tempted back to the Z system. I think the fact they've made the 24-120mm f4 is lighter than the Sony 24-105mm, and the 14-30mm f4 is lighter than the Sony 16-35mm f4 is impressive though.
I don't regret my move from Nikon to Sony but the Z9 is a camera I would love to use with my Sony lenses. I wish Sony had the 14-30 F4 as I would trade against my 16-35mm in a heartbeat and get a 20mm F1.8 with the remainder. It is great the big 3 are now competing again as that should mean we get some firmware updates, price reductions or newer models sooner. All the new kit is expensive but we are spoilt by what the kit can do

Last edited:
I don't regret my move from Nikon to Sony but the Z9 is a camera I would love to use with my Sony lenses. I wish Sony had the 14-30 F4 as I would trade against my 16-25mm in a heartbeat and get a 20mm F1.8 with the remainder. It is great the big 3 are now competing again as that should mean we get some firmware updates, price reductions or newer models sooner. All the new kit is expensive but we are spoilt by what the kit can do
I don't regret my move either, I'm very happy with the Sony. However, I do prefer Nikon colours and I do prefer the ergonomics of the Nikon Z bodies.

I don't regret my move either, I'm very happy with the Sony. However, I do prefer Nikon colours and I do prefer the ergonomics of the Nikon Z bodies.
Likewise. The A9ii/A7R IV etc models handle pretty well and the colours are pretty good too but I loved the feel of the D850, I don't miss the weight though and that was the reason I swapped over and probably why I will end up sticking with Sony.

The 14-30mm isn't very good optics wise.
The canon RF 14-35mm f4 on the other hand looks excellent.

Sony does have a 12-24mm f4 which optically stunning too but no front screw filters :(

I'll be interested to see how the 24-120mm preforms. It's a newer design than the Sony so no surprise they have managed to reduce the weight.

All three systems offer different things but none of them offer everything I want in the same system :-/

All three systems offer different things but none of them offer everything I want in the same system :-/
A7C with around 40mp, global shutter, would be pretty much perfect for me. Sure it will actually come at some point, global shutter would be great completely do away with the mechanical one.

A7C with around 40mp, global shutter, would be pretty much perfect for me. Sure it will actually come at some point, global shutter would be great completely do away with the mechanical one.

I must admit I'd quite like more megapixel. I often do heavy crops and it can get pixelated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I had 40mp instead of the 24mp I have, I could crop in a lot and it would likely still look quite clean and detailed?

I must admit I'd quite like more megapixel. I often do heavy crops and it can get pixelated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I had 40mp instead of the 24mp I have, I could crop in a lot and it would likely still look quite clean and detailed?
Yes if the lens is good enough.

Thanks. Strange that there's nothing listed on the Nikon site.

A fellow Hog owner (y) Nice bike :cool: I bet those wheels take some cleaning :oops: :$
Indeed they did tooth brush with a strip of abrasive pad on as they had just started to get a little rust .

Rob. what bike do you have ?

Yes if the lens is good enough.

Thanks. Would a lens the quality of either of my Sigma f1.4 lenses be regarded as good enough?

Back