The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Who did you buy off, I wonder if some are okay and others not so much. Mines still fine.
Have a look here

Many people have had issues with that website codes.

I'm glad I didn't jump on it as soon as some of the others did.

Gamivo, straight from the link in your post I think. Not a massive issue though and still a chance of getting the cash back
Who though, Gamivo is just the website then you pick the seller. I used Captain something or other.

When my CS5 becomes unusable I think I'll be looking for a standalone buy rather than a subscription relying in any way on internet connections as I'm worried about reliability and access as there doesn't seem to be a problem free day with Virgin.

Other stuff...

Another 50mm f1.8...

I think the clickless aperture would annoy me.

Last edited:
Who though, Gamivo is just the website then you pick the seller. I used Captain something or other.
No idea. I knew it was a risk when I pulled the trigger. I can't seem to get into Gamivo no as every time I try I am asked to identify traffic lights, bridges, etc etc. I've written it off and should have bought from Amazon as usual.

Just booted off Photoshop as these are fraudulent subscriptions. Should have really known as it was too good to be true. Expensive mistake as I bought the year's worth. Paypal used to pay so I have put in for a refund.
Same here. 4, 3-month subs - all cancelled.

I suppose the old adage is still valid - if it’s too good to be true then it probably is.

Jake

Just booted off Photoshop as these are fraudulent subscriptions. Should have really known as it was too good to be true. Expensive mistake as I bought the year's worth. Paypal used to pay so I have put in for a refund.

I've not heard anything yet , still working
but even if there is, no drama , I knew there was bound to be a risk involved.

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Tamron 35-150 2-2.8?

LensesforHire have one so they are presumably out in the wild, but otherwise it doesn't seem to exist, just on pre-order everywhere with no known release date.

Recently posted an app for iphone to control camera remotely now here's one for android

@LeeRatters - perhaps this can be a solution for you on A7C :D
Surely won't work as an intervalometer as there is no bulb mode. That's the only function im wanting really.

I've never taken part in a challenge before but as I saw a mention of a 50mm one how could I resist? This wont win any prizes but the challenge was an excuse to take a camera and 50mm with me, in this case an A7 and a Takumar 50mm f1.4 used at f2.8.

New boots required.

CifF79c.jpg

The tyres were dated 2008 so I suppose I've had my moneys worth out of them. The car has been suffering from a vibration from the front so I'm hoping four new tyres and balancing will have fixed it. All I could do on the way home was 40mph and it seemed ok but I'll have to get it up to 70mph at some point to check.

Four new tyres for £260. I can't complain as tyres for my Porsche, Merc and Jag would have been a lot more :D

The artist and fellow MX5 owner at work. His GF has one too, almost identical to mine.

quj1HZC.jpg

Last edited:
Recently posted an app for iphone to control camera remotely now here's one for android

@LeeRatters - perhaps this can be a solution for you on A7C :D

Surely won't work as an intervalometer as there is no bulb mode. That's the only function im wanting really.

Well, it does say this......

"Interval mode

With the Interval mode, you can easily take pictures over minutes or hours at regular intervals. Together with the bulb timer, this also works for exposure times of up to 15 minutes. So you can create impressive time-lapse recordings or high-quality astrophotographs."

From that, it sounds like i may well work. Obviously depends on how well the phone/camera stay connected......

Well, it does say this......

"Interval mode

With the Interval mode, you can easily take pictures over minutes or hours at regular intervals. Together with the bulb timer, this also works for exposure times of up to 15 minutes. So you can create impressive time-lapse recordings or high-quality astrophotographs."

From that, it sounds like i may well work. Obviously depends on how well the phone/camera stay connected......
What do you mean there is no bulb mode?
A7C has bulb mode
IMG_20211217_182949.jpg

Appears I didn't see it because I have silent shutter on. Silly me.
yeah, no bulb more in silent shutter (not really sure why, its the same on A1 too).
Then again I wouldn't recommend using silent shutter with bulb since the likelyhood is you are shooting in low light conditions. Silent shutter reduces the dynamic range and impacts noise performance on A7C.

What are the options for a compact AF 50mm?

I have the 55mm f1.8 but although it is a good lens I'm convinced I can see those extra 5mm and the feeling has never really gone away. I know Sony do a cheapo 50mm f1.8 but afaik it has a cheapo focus system and I'm really not interested as it'll probably be slow and hunt on my old A7. I suppose that leaves the 50mm f2.5 and 3rd party options.

I have the 55mm f1.8 but although it is a good lens I'm convinced I can see those extra 5mm and the feeling has never really gone away. I know Sony do a cheapo 50mm f1.8 but afaik it has a cheapo focus system and I'm really not interested as it'll probably be slow and hunt on my old A7. I suppose that leaves the 50mm f2.5 and 3rd party options.
Samyang 45mm f1.8 if you don’t mind the 5mm the other way.

I'm afraid it has to be 50mm. Because :D

I've just been looking on Wex and I don't think there is anything but I just thought I'd ask as I thought I might have missed something,

Oh, there's that new Viltrox but the lack of a clickable aperture rings rules it out for me.

Last edited:

The AF is perfectly usable but it'll feel like using one of the older screw driven lenses like a minolta lens.

50mm f2.5 feels more premium but not sure why it exists.... if I was going to spend that much money I'd just get the FE55 anyway.

I'm afraid it has to be 50mm. Because
I don't really get this tbh...
generally speaking even primes with the same focal length will have slightly different field of view. There is some error margin in there. You should know this better than any one else considering how many 35/50mm you own.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the 50mm are closer to 55mm and some closer to 45mm despite being marked as 50mm.

Last edited:
The AF is perfectly usable but it'll feel like using one of the older screw driven lenses like a minolta lens.

50mm f2.5 feels more premium but not sure why it exists.... if I was going to spend that much money I'd just get the FE55 anyway.

I don't really get this tbh...
generally speaking even primes with the same focal length will have slightly different field of view. There is some error margin in there. You should know this better than any one else considering how many 35/50mm you own.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the 50mm are closer to 55mm and some closer to 45mm despite being marked as 50mm.

I can deffo see why the 50mm f2.5 exists. I like compact lenses and the f2.x G's are more compact than the 55mm f1.8 plus they have the aperture ring and presumably these two things are meant to appeal to A7c users or anyone who likes compact lenses with aperture rings. I do know that lenses vary in FoV. I've got quite a few 50/55mm lenses and I prefer 50 to 55mm. If I didn't care about a few mm here or there I'd be happy with 50 or 55 or even 40 or 35mm but I can be obsessive and geeky so I care and obsess over some things and not others.

I'm just not going to risk the 50mm f1.8 after reading reports on line and Toni's feedback too. The lens may be usable on newer cameras but I fear it'll just be a frustrating waste of time on my A7.

I'll have a think for a few weeks and then make my mind up as the choice at the mo is looking like sticking with the 55mm f1.8 and I can't remember the last time I used that lens or swapping it for the f2.5 which I may use more.

Last edited:
I'm just not going to risk the 50mm f1.8 after reading reports on line and Toni's feedback too. The lens may be usable on newer cameras but I fear it'll just be a frustrating waste of time on my A7.
I think Toni is the only one on this thread that seems to not like its AF. After the second fw update more reviews online also showed that the AF was reliable.
Its definitely slow but its reliable.

It does sound silly, but I never liked the FE55 to be honest. I think I'd sway towards the 45mm Samyang or 50G

Its quite a nice lens actually, I liked everything about it apart from I don't really use 50mm-ish primes.
In fact I'd take it over most 50mm primes apart from may be the 50GM.

Last edited:
It's not silly for me, just a preference based on decades of using one thing and deciding I don't like something which is nearly but not quite that thing.

I've had slow AF lenses before, the Canon 50mm f2.5 was slow but even one mention of slow and hunting just makes me think it's not worth my time especially on a 1st gen A7 as AFAIK these slow and hunting lenses perform better on later models.

I tend to like 35mm more but 50mm is still one of my preferred lenses in some situations and when I want a 50mm the Sony 55mm f1.8 usually isn't the lens I reach for, so much so that I can't remember the last time I used it.

Went to look around the Yorkshire Air Museum a while back. Great aircraft but some of the staff seemed a bit wooden... :naughty: (Sony A65 / Tamron 16~300)

Control tower interior at Yorkshire Air Museum A65 DSC02717.JPG

Apparently if you have an A7iv and you have the anti dust function turned on you have to wait 30 seconds after turning the camera off and changing lenses or this happens.

View attachment 338439
Wow, that's crazy. I'm assuming that's a fault that there'll be a recall on?

Apparently if you have an A7iv and you have the anti dust function turned on you have to wait 30 seconds after turning the camera off and changing lenses or this happens.
It always surprised me that some people would want to swap the mild inconvenience of having to clean the sensor every so often, for the risk of a broken shutter.
You can see how thin the blades are - they have to move fast enough to open and close in 1/8000s - even the slightest knock runs the risk of damage.
And if you're cynical, those that take least care when changing lenses are the ones most likely to have sensor dust issues - and so the ones most likely to opt to have the shutter closed to stop this - and also the ones most likely to accidentally knock the shutter (possibly without realising) when it's exposed like this.

It'd be interesting to know how that happened. Shutters are delicate and there's a difference between some weakness requiring a recall and shutters being damaged by ham fistedness or accidental incursion by something.

I change lenses anywhere and everywhere including on the beach and with only common sense measures and care I manage to have very little sensor contamination.

Last edited:
It'd be interesting to know how that happened. Shutters are delicate and there's a difference between some weakness requiring a recall and shutters being damaged by ham fistedness or accidental incursion by something.

I change lenses anywhere and everywhere including on the beach and with only common sense measures and care I manage to have very little sensor contamination.

It’s happened to 5 people that I have seen so far ao don’t think think it is user error.

Back