The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

First time shooting athletics. Harder than I thought and the 400mm was too long for quite a few of the shots I intended to take.

Nice, the hurdle jump in particular :)

I feel like I will end up taking 70-200, 400 and 28mm Leica Q2 for all my sporting events going forward

Even though as you say 400mm might sometimes be too long… just needs to be used :)

I feel like I will end up taking 70-200, 400 and 28mm Leica Q2 for all my sporting events going forward

Even though as you say 400mm might sometimes be too long… just needs to be used :)
Hope you are enjoying your new toy. It isn't a miracle cure but it is a cracking bit of glass and I appreciated that weight saving carrying it about for 7 hours yesterday

You can always stand further back or get the 200-600mmDan :)

Well Amazon have the Sammy mk1 50 f1.4 at £299 which is pretty much second hand prices. I have one on the way, because I really miss the rendering. If it's decentered or the AF is much worse than I remembered then it can go back.

I'm just really busy with sorting out the house and an aged mother who has health issues, and I've hardly done anything since Feb. Hopefully will have a chance to do some more soon.

You can always stand further back or get the 200-600mmDan :)
I quite fancy trying to adapt a Sigma 120-300 but Sony really should have filled out its big whites with a 200-400 F4. Such a useful lens and it would have been ideal for athletics. A 300mm F2.8 would have worked really well too and it seems mad they haven't brought these lenses into the line up after such a long time

I quite fancy trying to adapt a Sigma 120-300 but Sony really should have filled out its big whites with a 200-400 F4. Such a useful lens and it would have been ideal for athletics. A 300mm F2.8 would have worked really well too and it seems mad they haven't brought these lenses into the line up after such a long time
I agree - it would be a good lens to own and at f4 a superb wildlife/ sports lens when twinned with the 1.4x TC- but at what cost? ££££££££

I would love to see a 300mm f2.8 as you say they missed the boat there

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a walk to Flats Lane Country Park planned for today and I was going to take my A7 and 35mm f1.8 but sadly the weather is just meh and the light even more so. Oh well... I'll put a DVD on instead :D

First time shooting athletics. Harder than I thought and the 400mm was too long for quite a few of the shots I intended to take.
Very nice. I think shots taken with the 400mm f2.8 should be banned, they're making me too jealous :LOL:
Still trying to get to grips with the Sony a9 + Sony 200-600mm - One from yesterday morning

DSC00197 MH Fly by by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)
Great shot, was this in the wild or at a centre/wildlife park?
Well Amazon have the Sammy mk1 50 f1.4 at £299 which is pretty much second hand prices. I have one on the way, because I really miss the rendering. If it's decentered or the AF is much worse than I remembered then it can go back.

I'm just really busy with sorting out the house and an aged mother who has health issues, and I've hardly done anything since Feb. Hopefully will have a chance to do some more soon.
I have to say I was tempted (and still am) when I saw that. I want the gen II, but at £300 it could be worth a punt.

We had a walk to Flats Lane Country Park planned for today and I was going to take my A7 and 35mm f1.8 but sadly the weather is just meh and the light even more so. Oh well... I'll put a DVD on instead :D

Go anyway. I went out for sunset last night to Portishead on a nice quiet little bay. Cloud snuffed it out about an hour before sunset. Good job we got there 2 hours earlier & sat on the blanket in the sun, with the dog, chilling out, missus was doing some crochet & I cooked steak & mushrooms on the trangia stove for my tea :) The dog pinched some though obviously..... :)

Go anyway. I went out for sunset last night to Portishead on a nice quiet little bay. Cloud snuffed it out about an hour before sunset. Good job we got there 2 hours earlier & sat on the blanket in the sun, with the dog, chilling out, missus was doing some crochet & I cooked steak & mushrooms on the trangia stove for my tea :) The dog pinched some though obviously..... :)

The sky is mostly a grey white nothingness only broken by glare and I must have a zillion pictures taken in conditions like this so I won't bother with a camera today but my legs could do with the exercise :D

PS.
For any / those who may be lucky enough to have clear skies later and able to stay awake... don't forget the blood moon :D

Last edited:
Very nice. I think shots taken with the 400mm f2.8 should be banned, they're making me too jealous :LOL:

Great shot, was this in the wild or at a centre/wildlife park?

I have to say I was tempted (and still am) when I saw that. I want the gen II, but at £300 it could be worth a punt.

Just had a look back through my catalogue - only had it a couple of weeks, but really liked the results

Baker street underground by Anton Ertl, on Flickr

I've just had a look at the 50mm on Amazon and on the camera size checker thingy and I think the bulk would annoy me. It's tempting those as I still can't get over the Sony 55mm being 55mm :D

just had a look at the 50mm on Amazon and on the camera size checker thingy and I think the bulk would annoy me. It's tempting those as I still can't get over the Sony 55mm being 55mm :D

It's a small price to pay for image qualities. I like the 55 for its size, sharpness and speed of focus, but the images are a bit too neutral.

The sky is mostly a grey white nothingness only broken by glare and I must have a zillion pictures taken in conditions like this so I won't bother with a camera today but my legs could do with the exercise :D

PS.
For any / those who may be lucky enough to have clear skies later and able to stay awake... don't forget the blood moon :D

I didn't even unzip my camera bag! :D

Had a bit of a shock - I've taken just 140 pictures since beginning Feb, and that includes 8 days at the Cussy house. Talk about a change of priorities.

I took 51 today. As the light and weather are poor I set myself a challenge, to take every picture at f1.4 with my Voigtlander 35mm.

MtaFRZ1.jpg

Last edited:
Had a bit of a shock - I've taken just 140 pictures since beginning Feb, and that includes 8 days at the Cussy house. Talk about a change of priorities.

Not good Toni :( I can do that many in a few hours on the Levels. I hops things pick up for you Buddy :)

I've just been out to see if I can see the blood moon but it's raining and I can't see any stars at all and no moon so I think we have complete cloud cover. Good luck to anyone who's stopping up late or getting up early to see it but I think I'll have to see it on telly tomorrow.

Just had a look and I took a couple of blood moon pictures on 17th July 2019. I don't know if that was the last time it was visible here.

Last edited:
I know - I never go to wildlife centres or Zoo's I prefer to find stuff in the wild

Like this Peregrine falcon high up on a Pylon

DSC00026 The Watcher by Les Moxon, on Flickr

and a Hunting Harrier
DSC00220 Stike a Pose by Les Moxon, on Flickr
The wild is definitely better, but for some wildlife parks are the only chance of seeing these wonderful animals. Despite living in the Peaks I've still not found anywhere where you're likely to see birds like this. I have seen them on occasion whilst out and about (maybe only a handful of times in my entire life) but never managed when I've actually gone out with my camera gear.

The wild is definitely better, but for some wildlife parks are the only chance of seeing these wonderful animals. Despite living in the Peaks I've still not found anywhere where you're likely to see birds like this. I have seen them on occasion whilst out and about (maybe only a handful of times in my entire life) but never managed when I've actually gone out with my camera gear.
Oh I agree they do serve a purpose - just not for me, I am fortunate enough to live surrounded by the Somerset Levels, with all kinds of wildlife :)

Quick search on fb reveals Theres peregrines at stockport sheffield and derby ,

Quick search on fb reveals Theres peregrines at stockport sheffield and derby ,
Yeah we get them in the area, they just hide from me :LOL:

Just posted this in the deals thread but guess more people might see it here, affinity have a 50% off sale so Affinity apps are £24 ATM

You went for the 24mm f1.4?

I do think a higher end 28mm is a strange omission to date but to be honest I can't see myself buying one as the f2 is good enough for me. 28mm has never been a favourite of mine but I recently mounted my MFT 14mm f2,5 on my Panasonic GX80 and I love it, so may well try and give the humble 28mm f2 a good try out :D

You went for the 24mm f1.4?

I do think a higher end 28mm is a strange omission to date but to be honest I can't see myself buying one as the f2 is good enough for me. 28mm has never been a favourite of mine but I recently mounted my MFT 14mm f2,5 on my Panasonic GX80 and I love it, so may well try and give the humble 28mm f2 a good try out :D
Yep. GM. I figured I could just lean in a bit. Little concerned about any distortion when shooting close up. I’ve got 28 covered in a couple F2.8 zooms. But want to get more separation.

Back