The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Rumour site says that the rumoured new lens is a 12mm f2.8.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/venu...e-world-for-both-a-and-e-mount/#disqus_thread

Any interest if true?

I'll be interested if the price and image quality are right. If not I'll be happy with the Samyang 14mm that I'm already looking out for second hand.

Just ordered the Meike battery grip as I find the A7ii a little small to grip well + I wanted a wireless remote anyway. Anyone had any issues with this?

Just on the subject of astrophotography... which I'm not into other than pointing my camera at the moon a couple of times...

Over on LL there was an interesting discussion about lens focal length and aperture and the argument put forward was that a 28mm f2.8 was preferable to a 24mm f2.8 because of the light transmission... Interesting though it was... Anyway, I don't suppose the proponents of the view would be too interested in a 12mm f2.8 if they thought that the difference between 24 and 28mm f2.8's was significant enough to persuade them to move to the 28mm.

Anyone here persuaded by the 24 v 28mm argument and see any reason to discount a 12mm f2.8?

Love try some of this photography too if only if I know how to lol

Batis lens get that out of here

What are people though on this 3rd party grip? I keep looking at the Sony brand

What are people though on this 3rd party grip? I keep looking at the Sony brand

If you mean the Meike that I mentioned above it seems to get very good reviews and does everything the same as the Sony version. Just a personal view, but I'd prefer to save the extra £200 and put it towards a lens (plus I wanted a wireless remote anyway).

If you mean the Meike that I mentioned above it seems to get very good reviews and does everything the same as the Sony version. Just a personal view, but I'd prefer to save the extra £200 and put it towards a lens (plus I wanted a wireless remote anyway).
Is this battery grip on amazon? I can only see one for the old Sony a7

Where u bough urs from

Last edited:
You will have let us know how u get on with it pal

Nah it a crap lens [emoji106][emoji106]

What I can say is the Batis lens looks freaking awesome but does it produce a much better image for the price tag??

What I can say is the Batis lens looks freaking awesome but does it produce a much better image for the price tag??
Not tried my 85mm but matt granger says it's 2nd best 85mm his ever used. Behind the otus.

He rates it higher then canon and nikon equivalent.

The Batis 85 is a wonderful thing. Great on a6000 too.

I have the meike battery grip. Seems a little oversized. my pinkie finger doesn't naturally fit well in the gap when holding in portrait mode. It does a good job of balancing out a larger lens though and for £40 I'm fairly happy with it. Wouldn't dream of paying the price for the Sony grip.

A7RII Sensor cleaning

Took a shot of blue sky today at f22 and looked at LR "Visualise Spots" and from the results I really need a wet clean.
I've attached a couple of images at two different slider levels and I'd appreciate opinions particularly on the second one with the slider full on seems a bit OTT to me but what do you think?

Also I have been informed that the bottle of Eclipse E2 that I still have from my Canon days is at least 5 years old and I should buy a bottle of Eclipse.
Is this correct please?
Anyone suggest a reasonably priced source for thisEclipse and a pack of FF swabs please as I'm a bit leary of getting some substitute liquid rubbish?
TIA
SensorSpots#1.JPG SensorSpots#2.JPG

Just on the subject of dust bunnies...

I've given up pointing them out in other peoples pictures as some people just don't seem to notice and when I point them out they don't hear "You've got a dust bunny there mate" they hear "You've got a tiny todger and you're a lesser man and I entertain your wife three times a week cos you can't" and they react accordingly. So, I just let them get on with it.

Anyway... long time back I used to visit another forum and a mod there insisted that dust bunnies just weren't a problems with DSLR's and cleaning systems would never be incorporated into pro bodies as they weren't needed. His 5D often just sat on the back seat of the car with the lens off... no problem.

I wonder what his pictures looked like :D

lol do we really need another adapter?????

Probably not, but choice is good :)

On another subject I had another look at the Samyang 14mm and saw the deal breaker for me. Filters.
I mainly shoot landscape and love using filters. The Samyang solution to this is ridiculous IMO.

So I still need (want) a wide lens (that takes a conventional filter holder). Any suggestions?

I'd prefer not to go for the Sony 16-35 as I'd prefer a prime. Kind of tempted to go with my original plan of buying the Batis 25mm and hoping something great between 14-16mm gets released maybe towards the end of the year. Now a 14-16mm Loxia, that would be about perfect (probably).

Don't the lee filters fit the samyang????

Just had a look at the Lee solution. Much better than the Samyang solution but not ideal for me.

Lee sell an adapter@ about £90, but then I'd need to use 150mm filters instead of the 100mm kit I'm planning on. I like the HiTech Firecrest filters (had a 67mm set when I had my Canon M3) as there is no colour cast at all. The difference between a single 100mm Firecrest and a 150mm is about £60 it seems. That will soon add up.

I guess it depends how many filters you use .... I know some lee filters are available 2nd hand on the forums as well

On another subject I had another look at the Samyang 14mm and saw the deal breaker for me. Filters.
I mainly shoot landscape and love using filters. The Samyang solution to this is ridiculous IMO.

So I still need (want) a wide lens (that takes a conventional filter holder). Any suggestions?

I'd prefer not to go for the Sony 16-35 as I'd prefer a prime. Kind of tempted to go with my original plan of buying the Batis 25mm and hoping something great between 14-16mm gets released maybe towards the end of the year. Now a 14-16mm Loxia, that would be about perfect (probably).
The Batis 18mm is due in April ;)

I have been experimenting with the Sky HDR app that's available on playmemories and first impressions are that for landscapes with a tripod it makes filters completely redundant; costs a lot less too.

Try the batis. Is it not wide enough for now?

I have been experimenting with the Sky HDR app that's available on playmemories and first impressions are that for landscapes with a tripod it makes filters completely redundant; costs a lot less too.

Doesn't the Sky HDR app just kind of replace a grad? (hope I'm wrong here)
I like to use ND filters a lot, especially a 6, 10 and 16 stop for different water and cloud effects. Can that app do this as well? (guess I'll be downloading this today and trying it :))

The Batis 18mm is due in April ;)

I like the idea of the 18mm Batis, but wouldn't buy the 18mm and 25mm as a bit to close IMO. For me a 25mm and say a 16mm (any good 16) would be a good combo.

Try the batis. Is it not wide enough for now?

Yes I think it would be fine for now and it seems a great lens from all the reviews I've seen. How are you finding yours?

Hi everyone, I've Just changed to a Sony A7ii & the Zeiss 24-70 from a Fuji XT-1 and various lenses and was wondering about an adapter for my Lee filters (100mm)
has anyone used these filters with this lens, can you tell me if I will need the wide angle adaptor or will the standard one do the job, I will be using the holder with just one slot
and the slim polariser.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards Bob

Back