The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Maybe. After reading about XTrans I can't see a reason for it other than marketing. AFAIK Fuji claim it's a random pattern but it isn't, it's just a larger repeating pattern than bayer and the whole thing takes more processing power... Or so I've read.

I've no idea if this new Sony development is an improvement and even if it is we can't guess when it'll appear in a camera but Sony being what they are they could stick it in a new camera and announce it next week :D

I can’t find any benefits of X-Trans only flaws tbh.
So after delving a little deeper the purpose of X-trans is to reduce moire therefore I can, in theory, see the benefit of the X-Trans. However, in the real world I've never experienced moire, at least not that I've seen, but I did sometimes see the X-Trans artefacts. Despite what the web has me believe, I've even seen the artefacts in jpegs so I don't believe it's truly an issue with which raw processor you use.

So I guess it's a trade off, some people may be more susceptible to seeing moire and therefore Fuji could make more sense, then there are the ones that aren't susceptible to moire but are susceptible to X-Trans artefacts and therefore choose bayer. I'm sure it'll be a debate that will rage on until sensor tech changes completely.

I keep toying with swapping my m4/3 for an RX100, but I’m not sure I can take the IQ drop and fiddliness. It’s only for me to take out on dog walks though and would save me taking a bag.
I still have my RX100 I, great little cameras. I don't really notice an image quality do from my A7C. Maybe if you pixel peep I guess.

I keep toying with swapping my m4/3 for an RX100, but I’m not sure I can take the IQ drop and fiddliness. It’s only for me to take out on dog walks though and would save me taking a bag.
Try something larger like LX100ii or X100v

Try something larger like LX100ii or X100v
But then I move away form the pocketability. These, and my EM10 are fine in the winter when I've got a coat with big pockets but in the summer it would be nice if I could fit a camera in my shorts pocket rather than carrying a bag.

But then I move away form the pocketability. These, and my EM10 are fine in the winter when I've got a coat with big pockets but in the summer it would be nice if I could fit a camera in my shorts pocket rather than carrying a bag.
LX100ii was pocketable for me.
May be try the Ricoh griii then?

LX100ii was pocketable for me.
May be try the Ricoh griii then?
Not flexible enough :facepalm: ;) I was looking at a couple of the Fuji single focal length compacts as they have digital teles that output at full res (obviously with some degradation) but I can't get past the X-Trans artefacts. I've just been looking at more Fuji raw and jpegs samples this morning and I just can't unsee it. Some SOOC jpegs I've seen from the HS2 are the worst yet :eek:

So after delving a little deeper the purpose of X-trans is to reduce moire therefore I can, in theory, see the benefit of the X-Trans. However, in the real world I've never experienced moire, at least not that I've seen, but I did sometimes see the X-Trans artefacts. Despite what the web has me believe, I've even seen the artefacts in jpegs so I don't believe it's truly an issue with which raw processor you use.

So I guess it's a trade off, some people may be more susceptible to seeing moire and therefore Fuji could make more sense, then there are the ones that aren't susceptible to moire but are susceptible to X-Trans artefacts and therefore choose bayer. I'm sure it'll be a debate that will rage on until sensor tech changes completely.

I read a long write up on this on Peta Pixel.

Just thought I'd share a picture of this mornings sunrise. It was stunning and made me wish I had a better vantage point than the bedroom window :D

A7 and 20mm f1.8.

5GPfz8h.jpg

Last edited:
Not flexible enough :facepalm: ;) I was looking at a couple of the Fuji single focal length compacts as they have digital teles that output at full res (obviously with some degradation) but I can't get past the X-Trans artefacts. I've just been looking at more Fuji raw and jpegs samples this morning and I just can't unsee it. Some SOOC jpegs I've seen from the HS2 are the worst yet :eek:
Ricoh GRiii doesn't have xtrans. comes in couple different focal lengths too now (28mm and 40mm) plus you can add some tele converters if you want a little flexibility.
doesn't have a view finder though, but you can add a OVF to the hotshoe if you want.

Ricoh GRiii doesn't have xtrans. comes in couple different focal lengths too now (28mm and 40mm) plus you can add some tele converters if you want a little flexibility.
doesn't have a view finder though, but you can add a OVF to the hotshoe if you want.
Yeah I looked at the Ricoh a few days ago but I don’t want to be carrying converters and there may be times I could do with a viewfinder. I’m not looking too seriously, just playing with ideas (y)

Guys,

I still have a touch of gas.

How good or bad is the a7c EVF? I've read that it's not good, what d owners think of it in relation to other EVF's?

Guys,

I still have a touch of gas.

How good or bad is the a7c EVF? I've read that it's not good, what d owners think of it in relation to other EVF's?
It's fine. It's not as good as full sized ones like in A7RIV. It's borrowed from APS-C bodies.

It's fine. It's not as good as full sized ones like in A7RIV. It's borrowed from APS-C bodies.

I suppose the best thing it to try one if I get the chance to visit a shop.

I'd like it to be better than the ones fitted to my MFT RF style cameras. I'd describe those as useable but they're not exactly lovely. I don't suppose anyone knows how it is compared to my original A7?

I'd like it to be better than the ones fitted to my MFT RF style cameras. I'd describe those as useable but they're not exactly lovely. I don't suppose anyone knows how it is compared to my original A7?
It's better in one way and worst in another.
The resolution is about the same.
A7 has a higher magnification of 0.7x Vs 0.6x of A7C. So it's a bigger viewfinder.
A7C has higher refresh rate so will seem smoother in operation.
A7C also probably has newer optics in front of the EVF panel that'll also make it wee bit nicer.

Last edited:
Lee... I've had a year from hell, well actually it's been hell since January last year and if a new camera will bring a little joy then why not? I suppose hell is relative and I do have Mrs WW and my mam :D

have you tried any of the big tele Primes 500 f4 or 400f2.8. I quite fancy one but was wondering what the af would be like , I have a 400 f5.6 and it not very good on a Sony.
No I haven't but there is plenty of reports online inc. Fred Miranda and such forums.

I have adapted fair bunch of other canon lenses especially primes in the 35-200mm range inc. all the 50mm options, 85mm options, 100mm f2, 135mm f2 and 200mm f2.8. They were already not as good as native lenses and telephotos normally behave worst than shorter lenses.
So I didn't really feel the need to try them to prove that AF wouldn't match native performance. It would end up being bit of an expensive experiment to prove what I feel I already know

Lee... I've had a year from hell, well actually it's been hell since January last year and if a new camera will bring a little joy then why not? I suppose hell is relative and I do have Mrs WW and my mam :D
Sorry to hear you've had a bad year. Life's too short to miss out, what's the worst that can happen? You buy it, don't like it and return it (y)

I've been looking at the new 16-35mm f4 (not looking at buying it) and I'm not convinced it's a great deal better than the ZA. It looks a little bit sharper in the centre (although the examples were shot on difference cameras (A1 vs A7RII) but it seems to have bad distortion in the periphery. Admittedly it has less CA's but they're much easier to correct that the distortion I'd have thought. The new one seems to have more vignetting as well.

Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 07.42.12 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

I've been looking at the new 16-35mm f4 (not looking at buying it) and I'm not convinced it's a great deal better than the ZA. It looks a little bit sharper in the centre (although the examples were shot on difference cameras (A1 vs A7RII) but it seems to have bad distortion in the periphery. Admittedly it has less CA's but they're much easier to correct that the distortion I'd have thought. The new one seems to have more vignetting as well.

Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 07.42.12 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
I'd check and see if the lightroom profile is able to correct it without issues.
I tried the lens out last weekend and it's really light and small. It's also weathersealed and doesn't extend out.
It also has the customisable button and aperture ring
So there's benefits to "upgrading".

I think the biggest difference in image quality you'll see is at the 35mm end.

Last edited:

As you know I went from the gen 1 A7R to the C and find the viewfinder good enough.
It's better in terms of quality but just smaller.
If you use the viewfinder the majority of the time of say it would disappoint though you'd probably get used to it. Personally I use the screen the majority of the time so it's a non issue for me.

I think I might have Sony GAS as I've just bought a A7r mkiii and a 70-350mm lens. I know the lens will be a crop on the 7r but that's fine as I got the lens to use as a light weight set up for when the wife and I got for a walk in case there is any wildlife about.

I think I might have Sony GAS as I've just bought a A7r mkiii and a 70-350mm lens. I know the lens will be a crop on the 7r but that's fine as I got the lens to use as a light weight set up for when the wife and I got for a walk in case there is any wildlife about.
The image circle actually covers FF at wider ends with that lens :)

Reactions: mav
I'd check and see if the lightroom profile is able to correct it without issues.
I tried the lens out last weekend and it's really light and small. It's also weathersealed and doesn't extend out.
It also has the customisable button and aperture ring
So there's benefits to "upgrading".

I think the biggest difference in image quality you'll see is at the 35mm end.
35mm definitely is better on the new one. The site doesn't allow you to download the test images to see if corrections are applied, I might see if I can download other raws at some point.

As you know I went from the gen 1 A7R to the C and find the viewfinder good enough.
It's better in terms of quality but just smaller.
If you use the viewfinder the majority of the time of say it would disappoint though you'd probably get used to it. Personally I use the screen the majority of the time so it's a non issue for me.

ta :D

Had some fun with a new 50mm 2.5 G on an impromptu couple of days in the Lake District. I normally use 35mm but enjoyed it. Especially how light it is.

DSC00211 by Peter Law, on Flickr

DSC00275 by Peter Law, on Flickr

DSC00232 by Peter Law, on Flickr

(edited to add Flickr links)

Nice shot, I was booked into that Hotel last week/weekend but had to cancel as I had a nasty fall on the Monday and ended up in hospital. Gutted :(

Back