The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I generally used flash for macro as I would use very small apertures to get as much DOF as possible and therefore needed as much light as possible. Also flash helps to freeze motion. I don't do macro anymore as I just found it too much of a PITA, well shooting insects and the like is for me ;)

Apologies these were all shot with Nikon but the first 3 were with flash, and the last 2 natural light.

This guys was tiny, only about 4mm in total length

Breakfast by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

DSC_9577 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

DSC_9588 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

DSC_8056 2 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

DSC_8785 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
Wow they are Amazing shots! and as you say the first Spider is particularly impressiv.

Thank you for sharing, I think a small flash and then just play around using that and natural light :)

The ergonomics are far better on the A7 IV vs the older bodies such as the A7 III & A9, that makes a big difference if you're handling it for 12 hours+ at a wedding.

The only thing I dislike is the flip out screen, I hate them on any camera, only because I have visions of it snapping off at some point.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the 50mm GM? I’ve been offered one for £1500 but not sure on pulling the trigger - anyone used it?

Wow they are Amazing shots! and as you say the first Spider is particularly impressiv.

Thank you for sharing, I think a small flash and then just play around using that and natural light :)

Another cracking shot!

Seeing all these brilliant macro shots, shows I need to get some practice in haha :)
Thanks very much. I should add that a diffuser is very important, a 'straight' flash is far too harsh.

If you want to be impressed check this guy out. My flash setup is very similar. Insects I've come across aren't this compliant though :LOL:
View: https://youtu.be/wqRn3at0H60

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the 50mm GM? I’ve been offered one for £1500 but not sure on pulling the trigger - anyone used it?
The best 50mm you can buy for Sony, and probably the best 50mm you can buy from any of the main brands. If you can afford it and you can put up with the weight then it's a no brainer for me.

Normally at that price I'd asked if I could buy it if you didn't want it.
But I'm skint right now, but seems to be a good deal for what is arguably the best 50mm lens in its class.

On the rumor site...

80 or is it 85mm f1.2? Who knows? But maybe you will buy one? :D

I can remember using my 85mm f1.8 but I can't remember when that was, so I'm deffo out but I'm pretty sure a really good 85mm f1.2 will have people lusting after it :D

As someone said in the comments, still no 28mm f1.4? It does seem odd that just about every shorter length now has a class leading option except 28mm where "all" we have is the f2 which is good enough for me but people do seem to want a class leading faster aperture 28mm.

On the rumor site...

80 or is it 85mm f1.2? Who knows? But maybe you will buy one? :D

I can remember using my 85mm f1.8 but I can't remember when that was, so I'm deffo out but I'm pretty sure a really good 85mm f1.2 will have people lusting after it :D

As someone said in the comments, still no 28mm f1.4? It does seem odd that just about every shorter length now has a class leading option except 28mm where "all" we have is the f2 which is good enough for me but people do seem to want a class leading faster aperture 28mm.
28mm or a 24mm and two steps forward lol

28mm or a 24mm and two steps forward lol

Whenever foot zooming comes up I'm surprised to have to say that when you move you change the perspective. A better argument would be to use the 24mm from 28mm distance and crop for a 28mm FoV. That'd work, foot zooming doesn't.

Last edited:
Ladybower Reservoir water levels are so low at the moment that the plug hole and the ruins of Derwent Village, which was flooded in the 1940's to create the reservoir, are currently visable.

A9_06953 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_06959 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_06984 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_06995 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_07001 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_07018 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_07026 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_07051 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Very nice set of landscape style captures Toby, liking all of these very much even if the water levels are a dreadful problem at the moment for pretty much all of us.

Very nice set of landscape style captures Toby, liking all of these very much even if the water levels are a dreadful problem at the moment for pretty much all of us.
Thanks George, appreciate the comments. Last time the water levels were this low I never went up to see the ruins and I regretted it so thought I'd make the effort this time (y)

Thanks George, appreciate the comments. Last time the water levels were this low I never went up to see the ruins and I regretted it so thought I'd make the effort this time (y)
Sadly the predictions are that such events will become more common as the climate continues to change.

Does anyone know if/how to switch off mechanical shutter completely on a9? I already have it set for electronic shutter only but when it goes to standby mode or when I switch it off, I get the shutter down like with newer models when you change the lenses. The reason I want it off completely, is the fact that it sometimes get jammed and gives me Camera Error message.

Does anyone know if/how to switch off mechanical shutter completely on a9? I already have it set for electronic shutter only but when it goes to standby mode or when I switch it off, I get the shutter down like with newer models when you change the lenses. The reason I want it off completely, is the fact that it sometimes get jammed and gives me Camera Error message.
you should probably get that checked out instead of trying to stop it from doing that.
The reason it closes every so often is because it automatically remaps the hot pixels every so often.

you should probably get that checked out instead of trying to stop it from doing that.
The reason it closes every so often is because it automatically remaps the hot pixels every so often.
Is there a way to stop it from remapping the dead pixels? I don’t want to spend any money on it to be honest as it will be replaced by a1 very soon and most likely end up as a 3rd in line back up body.

Is there a way to stop it from remapping the dead pixels? I don’t want to spend any money on it to be honest as it will be replaced by a1 very soon and most likely end up as a 3rd in line back up body.
There is on the A1 and A7IV. Not sure about A9.
May be someone with an A9 can help.

I’m not sure if the A9 has the option, but the A9-II has the option to close the shutter whenever the camera is turned off, I believe it’s to protect the sensor against dust when changing lenses. It can be turned on/off in the menu, it’s in the cleaning section iirc.

But as above, I’d be sending the camera back for repair if you’re getting an err message.

I’m not sure if the A9 has the option, but the A9-II has the option to close the shutter whenever the camera is turned off, I believe it’s to protect the sensor against dust when changing lenses. It can be turned on/off in the menu, it’s in the cleaning section iirc.

But as above, I’d be sending the camera back for repair if you’re getting an err message.
I checked and seems like there is no option unfortunately.

Sadly the predictions are that such events will become more common as the climate continues to change.

Without wishing to derail a 'photography' thread. I did read about some of the Welsh reservoirs, which are the same size (volume) as built even though they are now supplying a much greater demand because of the population/town growth further down in the Valleys. So yes, whilst some reasoning can be down to drier summers etc they are also 'draining' quicker & faster for that reason too.

Ladybower Reservoir water levels are so low at the moment that the plug hole and the ruins of Derwent Village, which was flooded in the 1940's to create the reservoir, are currently visable.

A9_06953 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_06959 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_06984 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_06995 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_07001 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_07018 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_07026 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_07051 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Nice, very interesting images (y)

We went for a walk yesterday and it went from sunny and warm to pouring down and hailstones in about 20 seconds. We got soaked. Today we went out again and we got soaked. I see a pattern here :D

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8.

I think this was 28 pictures.

FM4ZZVL.jpg

Single shots.

Wq3dAPJ.jpg

xqqtQJj.jpg

Y7uJGwu.jpg

A rare moment not getting wet.

O8yhdG5.jpg

We made a friend.

0HTLywH.jpg

It was this video (although in German) - if you can follow it - that tested the AF performance of the A7IV vs the A9 and explained how although the AF processing is older - the stacked sensor and ability for AF to continue tracking throughout because of blackout free shooting gives a higher keeper rate of tack sharp images (35 minutes in). Saying that I'm sure the A7IV would probably be more than capable for Weddings. The R6 has been great for AF accuracy and speed - and it's not stacked so I'm thinking the A7IV will be perfectly good.

I’ve been using a9 and a7iv for weddings and there’s really not much in it. In fact when I’m editing I have no idea which camera I took the shot on unless I have to pixel peep for skin retouching and the a7iv edges it. The a7iv does seem slightly more responsive with the 50mm gm though ime.

The whole camera brand af stuff is now getting silly. Sony, canon, Nikon and Fuji all have offerings that are brilliant. It’s more of a case of which you prefer using.

I’ve been using a9 and a7iv for weddings and there’s really not much in it. In fact when I’m editing I have no idea which camera I took the shot on unless I have to pixel peep for skin retouching and the a7iv edges it. The a7iv does seem slightly more responsive with the 50mm gm though ime.

The whole camera brand af stuff is now getting silly. Sony, canon, Nikon and Fuji all have offerings that are brilliant. It’s more of a case of which you prefer using.
Unfortunately no manufacturer seems to have both the lenses and body I'd want :(

On APS-C (I can't believe I'm saying this!) Sony is the only one with lenses that I'd want or makes sense to me - 11/1.8, 10-20mm, 15/1.4, 16-55/2.8 and 70-350mm.
But body wise for some reason they are hell bent on reusing that old 24mp sensor and won't release something with higher MP. In fact I can get more pixels from crop mode of A7RIV which is silly. Fuji and canon actually have bodies I'd want.

On FF there is nothing on Nikon apart from Z9 which is bloated and expensive with AF that matches A7IV or R5. But they have lenses like the 400mm f4.5, 800mm f6.3 and 24-120mm that I really like.

Why can't one manufacturer do everything :p

Without wishing to derail a 'photography' thread. I did read about some of the Welsh reservoirs, which are the same size (volume) as built even though they are now supplying a much greater demand because of the population/town growth further down in the Valleys. So yes, whilst some reasoning can be down to drier summers etc they are also 'draining' quicker & faster for that reason too.
My wife works in the water industry, and is involved in planning for future needs. We are facing a combination of factors - such as Climate Change, increased population, and increased environmental awareness (the amount of water that can be taken from rivers that are considered environmentally sensitive, such as chalk streams, is being reduced, and in some cases reduced to zero) - and the bulk of the solutions to this (EG building additional resevoirs) take considerable time from initial concept to actually delivering.

Unfortunately no manufacturer seems to have both the lenses and body I'd want :(

On APS-C (I can't believe I'm saying this!) Sony is the only one with lenses that I'd want or makes sense to me - 11/1.8, 10-20mm, 15/1.4, 16-55/2.8 and 70-350mm.
But body wise for some reason they are hell bent on reusing that old 24mp sensor and won't release something with higher MP. In fact I can get more pixels from crop mode of A7RIV which is silly. Fuji and canon actually have bodies I'd want.

On FF there is nothing on Nikon apart from Z9 which is bloated and expensive with AF that matches A7IV or R5. But they have lenses like the 400mm f4.5, 800mm f6.3 and 24-120mm that I really like.

Why can't one manufacturer do everything :p
Yep there’s no perfect system unfortunately. I’m still waiting for a FF camera with a 16-600mm f1.8 lens the size and weight of something like the EM5 :LOL:

Back