The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The 50-400 had 10% off at a Park open day event recently, surprising for a brand new model.

It's not really 99% of the V, i've had both more than once, the V is in a different league, not just the lens but the AF seems far snappier to me.

I don't really need fast focus. The increased ISO and shutter speed and having an electronic shutter and face detect will be enough and the old lens is good enough for me even for close ups. I just couldn't justify the additional money for a v on a whim which is really all this is as I don't think it can replace either my A7 or MFT kit. If the price of the v drops I suppose anything is possible but if this s hadn't given issues I don't think I'd have gone for a newer model so I doubt I'll get a v.

I don't really need fast focus. The increased ISO and shutter speed and having an electronic shutter and face detect will be enough and the old lens is good enough for me even for close ups. I just couldn't justify the additional money for a v on a whim which is really all this is as I don't think it can replace either my A7 or MFT kit. If the price of the v drops I suppose anything is possible but if this s hadn't given issues I don't think I'd have gone for a newer model so I doubt I'll get a v.
Yes but x100v fixes one of your major concerns i.e. it's weathersealed so chances of dust getting into the body is lower.

Yes but x100v fixes one of your major concerns i.e. it's weathersealed so chances of dust getting into the body is lower.

Too late now :D

The first thing I'll do is a dust bunny test at minimum aperture. TBH I'd rather have had another s but I could find any at a good price so went for a reasonably priced f.

Last edited:
I sort of see what he's saying... but... if you want a shot with the focus on a break dancers eye at a wide aperture you just aren't gonna get it with a manual Leica. So, you makes your decisions and you pays your money...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhJ-0U4uwv0

On that subject. Some may know I fiddle with manual lenses and various cameras and have recently bought another camera but I think for the money when looking just at image quality my creaking old A7 and just about any lens is IMO better and better value than anything else I've ever used.

More viewing pleasure...

Ah Ha!

I can't watch that now but I will later :D

Last edited:
I sort of see what he's saying... but... if you want a shot with the focus on a break dancers eye at a wide aperture you just aren't gonna get it with a manual Leica. So, you makes your decisions and you pays your money...

On that subject. Some may know I fiddle with manual lenses and various cameras and have recently bought another camera but I think for the money when looking just at image quality my creaking old A7 and just about any lens is IMO better and better value than anything else I've ever used.
Won’t have chance to watch this today, what’s the gist?

Won’t have chance to watch this today, what’s the gist?

He's using a Sony and the focus with the breakdancer is very good, almost like cheating, but it makes him understand why people would want to turn away from all the clever technology and use a Leica.

From my perspective I know what he's saying and I see the attraction in simpler kit so yes, you can turn away from modern tech and enjoy yourself and the gear fondling but the price you pay is that you can't take the sort of pictures that the new "cheating" technology lets you get.

He's using a Sony and the focus with the breakdancer is very good, almost like cheating, but it makes him understand why people would want to turn away from all the clever technology and use a Leica.

From my perspective I know what he's saying and I see the attraction in simpler kit so yes, you can turn away from modern tech and enjoy yourself and the gear fondling but the price you pay is that you can't take the sort of pictures that the new "cheating" technology lets you get.
Cheers. I understand both and I don’t see one as better than the other just different ways of doing things (y)

I disagree with him. Even with the perfect golf club I won't get the ball anyway where near the holes. And same way even with the world's most perfect AF system one cannot make good pictures.
I don't think he understands the difference between art and tools, if tools were to make the artist everyone would be Michaelangelo or Beethoven

Last edited:
Does anybody know if using a Sony flash solves this problem? I'm finding that the only way to switch off flash while keeping the flash mounted is to switch the flash off from the gun itself. Switching over to electronic shutter and then returning to mechanical shutter, with flash turned back on requires a power cycle of the camera to get the flashi to work again and I'm wondering if that's normal? Is this a problem only associated with using Godox flashes only - I'm using a TT685s? Also when it does decide to work - you normally have to wait around 15 seconds before the flash will start to fire again with the first shots being without flash.

Hmm, cheating sounds good to me:)

Does anybody know if using a Sony flash solves this problem? I'm finding that the only way to switch off flash while keeping the flash mounted is to switch the flash off from the gun itself. Switching over to electronic shutter and then returning to mechanical shutter, with flash turned back on requires a power cycle of the camera to get the flashi to work again and I'm wondering if that's normal? Is this a problem only associated with using Godox flashes only - I'm using a TT685s? Also when it does decide to work - you normally have to wait around 15 seconds before the flash will start to fire again with the first shots being without flash.
5D72BE04-B0CD-4A81-8368-66F8AF4A704F.png

Set the flash option to the Fn menu or my menu for quick access. Not sure how long it takes to ‘warm up’ though, can test when I get the chance.

View attachment 372646

Set the flash option to the Fn menu or my menu for quick access. Not sure how long it takes to ‘warm up’ though, can test when I get the chance.
Thanks for your suggestion - I find that the flash off option is greyed out when using M dial mode - hence why I have to switch it off from the flash itself.

Thanks for your suggestion - I find that the flash off option is greyed out when using M dial mode - hence why I have to switch it off from the flash itself.
Hmmm, can’t fathom why that would be. I’ll check mine at some point.

Electronic or mechanical shutter? My a9 is greyed out when on ES but not mechanical.
Mine too but he said it was the flash off option that’s greyed out which I don’t understand :thinking:

I disagree with him. Even with the perfect golf club I won't get the ball anyway where near the holes. And same way even with the world's most perfect AF system one cannot make good pictures.
I don't think he understands the difference between art and tools, if tools were to make the artist everyone would be Michaelangelo or Beethoven

I skipped through the golf bit.

I do see his point to a degree and it's something I agree with to an extent but I'm not going back to film and I'm not going to buy a digital Leica.

Luckily for me I'm not really interested in taking pictures of breakdancers or birds in flight or anything else that's particularly taxing on the tech.

Oh look... There's a little used A7iv in the classifieds.

Electronic or mechanical shutter? My a9 is greyed out when on ES but not mechanical.
It's in mechanical shutter mode - the 'off flash' option is only selectable in 'Auto' mode

Mine too but he said it was the flash off option that’s greyed out which I don’t understand :thinking:
Are you sure it's available in M mode with mechanical shutter? It just seems weird I can't turn on and off the flash from the camera via a shortcut or different mode dial other than via Auto

Are you sure it's available in M mode with mechanical shutter? It just seems weird I can't turn on and off the flash from the camera via a shortcut or different mode dial other than via Auto
I don’t know without checking, will have a look when I have chance.

Mine’s the same auto flash and flash off are greyed out in M,A,S and P. However if I turn my flash off and back in again at the flash it’s ready to fire instantly.

Mine’s the same auto flash and flash off are greyed out in M,A,S and P. However if I turn my flash off and back in again at the flash it’s ready to fire instantly.
Thanks @snerkler for testing that - I will do the same when I get home and see if mine is ready to fire immediately with just a turn off and on of the flash gun. Out of curiosity which flash gun do you use?

Thanks @snerkler for testing that - I will do the same when I get home and see if mine is ready to fire immediately with just a turn off and on of the flash gun. Out of curiosity which flash gun do you use?
Same as yours, Godox TT685s

Same as yours, Godox TT685s
Got to the bottom of it @snerkler The problem only arises when using electronic shutter and turning the flash on and then later switching over to mechanical - although the camera appears to show the flash is ready - it doesn't fire. You have to power cycle the flash while in mechanical mode to get the flash to operate again. I couldn't understand why the flash wouldn't fire - but I realise that the correct order while in electronic shutter is on - is to switch over to mechanical before switching on the flash. Switching on the flash and then turning on mechanical shutter doesn't work!!

Last edited:
FF sensor with 8k and global shutter...

Cameras could be 3 - 5 years away, or maybe Sony can do it faster? Time will tell.

Ah, something else interesting there. Colourised London...

Those colourised photos are cool. I'm missing where it says in the article that it's a global shutter?

Those colourised photos are cool. I'm missing where it says in the article that it's a global shutter?

It's on the front page and in the headline and 1st paragraph.

"Atomos ‘Sapphire’ Sensor Revealed: Global Shutter, Full-Frame, 8Kp60"

"The Atomos-developed 8K sensor is called “Sapphire F8,” shoots up to 8K at 60 frames per second, uses a global shutter, features phase detection autofocus, and — perhaps most importantly — it generates very little heat."

The interesting thing for me is that they say that a camera is 3-5 years away and this is I assume a cinema camera. I do wonder if anyone else is working on one with a more conventional aspect ratio for stills or vid/stills camera we might be interested in.

Last edited:
It's on the front page and in the headline and 1st paragraph.

"Atomos ‘Sapphire’ Sensor Revealed: Global Shutter, Full-Frame, 8Kp60"

"The Atomos-developed 8K sensor is called “Sapphire F8,” shoots up to 8K at 60 frames per second, uses a global shutter, features phase detection autofocus, and — perhaps most importantly — it generates very little heat."
Ahh, looks like you linked the wrong article, I found this article further down the page (y)

One from a trip to Wales last week:

52468905228_cd6bb329d5_b.jpg

Wonderful image. Congrats

They won't be far off I imagine we have a few at work but they max out at 1080p at the minute. We are working on a 4k one though, obviously not for photography cameras.

Back