The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think the MF will because my interest has shifted to pano landscapes and perhaps more controled portraits of family etc, so I don't need to worry about AF so much and maximum image quality will be the priority. The phone takes care of the daily stuff. I will still need to think about delving into MF but I have made my mind up about the Sony gear. A great camera for sure and perfect for weddings, wildlife and sport, of which I don't do.

I've been following Kyle for a long time now - https://www.youtube.com/c/KyleMcDougall/videos

He's recently added digital MF to his film MF kit & has a few videos about you might find interesting including using old Pentax MF lenses.

New kit is always nice.

I've been reviewing prints recently, and 30X20 images shot with 20mp APS-C and older lenses are distinctly so-so compared with the old D610 I had, which again is noticeably lacking compared to the A7III & 24-105. I'm not burning for a new camera, but can't help wondering how much I'd notice a MF outfit making a difference at that size. It would then be tempting to run 2 outfits side-by-side, with M43 for snaps/travel/wildlife and MF for the serious stuff.

New kit is always nice.

I've been reviewing prints recently, and 30X20 images shot with 20mp APS-C and older lenses are distinctly so-so compared with the old D610 I had, which again is noticeably lacking compared to the A7III & 24-105. I'm not burning for a new camera, but can't help wondering how much I'd notice a MF outfit making a difference at that size. It would then be tempting to run 2 outfits side-by-side, with M43 for snaps/travel/wildlife and MF for the serious stuff.
I have considered this myself but in the end I like telephoto lenses and majority of the good ones with long reach are FF ones.
Only exception is I really like the Sony 70-350mm but there isn't a Sony APS-C I want to use it on :(

I had a wee look at usedlens.co.uk as it's quite good for a comparison across sites. I ignore eBay results though.

Aye, I was thinking around £1,400-1,500 would be reasonable for an A9.
The 35 1.4 mint seems to be fetching over a grand, although that is a shop where they offer a warranty, although I've got about a 1 + 1/2 year left which I believe is transferrable.
The 24-105mm seems to be coming in at over £550 as you say.

I would need to factor in the inevitable haggle margin lol
I’m sat with him now Graham 1490 park offered for the A9

I’m sat with him now Graham 1490 park offered for the A9

I would probably be happy with that, although I would like to give here first shot at everything and if nobody is interested then try the retailers. WEX really soured my experience and shook my trust.

All this talk of new kit... :D

I haven't been able to get out much so have been reprocessing older pictures originally processed in CS5 with PS2022 and I'm sure I can see a difference for the better.

New kit is always nice.

Tom what i will say is moving to the R4 you would be pleasantly surprised, im sure some of the guys who have them could share a few RAWs with u.
What i noticed was when i orginally moved to the R3 the first few days my eyes were like WOW thats sharp, then obviously i adjust and its the normal. Spending all Saturday playing with files, all be it 16mb and 20mb Olympus, it lacked luster for me. On returning home and opening some of my A1 files it was like the old times again. SImple terms i got that same feeling when i moved from a HD tv to a UHD, its weird to explain but have a look at some RAWs.

Medium Format is an itch i want to scratch as do my friends, but for me they're too limiting, but if Landscapes and Portraits are your thing then im with you. Would you see more detail prob not, would they be better than an R4 possible i do know they tend to have a milky goodness about them, and of course 4:3. i was looking at the GFX 50s MK2 but contrast detect put me off, not thats its an issue but i would have like Phase detect, and that only comes with the GFX 100 :(

Panamoz had a7rv listed at £3800. So it's officially and fully confirmed it's ridiculous just a smidgen away from z9, a1 and almost a full grand above arguably superior R5 (depending on spec in question). Good luck with that joke, sony.

Panamoz had a7rv listed at £3800. So it's officially and fully confirmed it's ridiculous just a smidgen away from z9, a1 and almost a full grand above arguably superior R5 (depending on spec in question). Good luck with that joke, sony.

It's a brand new camera, what did you expect? The A7RIV wasn't much cheaper when it first launched as well. Panamoz also had it priced at £200 less than U.K retail on launch.

Will likely drop by about a grand over the next few months, just like the A7RIV did. Panamoz always take the p*** with every new product as they know as long as they are slightly cheaper than U.K retail and with stock always being scarce for new products they will still get lots of orders. Some people will buy from them just because they can't get stock elsewhere. Once stock is readily available in the U.K the price with Panamoz etc. will drop heavily.

The R series cameras always take a huge dip in price with the grey market companies

Last edited:
I agree, give it till after XMAS and itll be sub 3k. its deffo not worth the 1500+ extra

On Another note just seen Cotswold Cameras has Sigma 24-70 with 200 off, What Costwold like ? anybody know

The Canon RF glass is a joke, way over priced most of it, many will stick with Sony as you can build a great glass collection at a reasonable price. Of course some will adapt EF glass to Canon but you can also use that on Sony.

I think size of Z9 is more of a joke than A7RV's price :p
but you are comparing price against R5 which is around couple year old. A7RV will come down with time.
I am not going to get into which is superior argument because they are a bit different.

I am disappointed with Canon RF glass on the whole plus their decision to lock out 3rd parties so there is no chance of getting good affordable glass. And even if I won the lottery to fork out for the expensive ones they are mostly not great either.

Still waiting for Z7iii or Z8 or whatever nikon will do with the latest AF features.
Till then I'll keep my A7iv and sony glass. Likely hood is I will always keen my GM primes and just adapt them to nikon and buy Z primes for the telephoto range.

Winter in the park.

Old film era lens.

zfhJDXw.jpg

When she had a fringe.

Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

Y9UDyW3.jpg

Last edited:
The A7RIV wasn't much cheaper when it first launched as well
£2400 at panamoz if my memory serves me well. I nearly bought it but went with 5Ds instead.

The Canon RF glass is a joke, way over priced most of it, many will stick with Sony as you can build a great glass collection at a reasonable price. Of course some will adapt EF glass to Canon but you can also use that on Sony.
That's why I'm looking at one on and off. All my glass is EF and part of it is sigma ART.

I think size of Z9 is more of a joke than A7RV's price :p
Yes, both are over the sensible limit, and it hardly then matters which one is more. Z9 is at least flagship with stacked sensor and all that and goes against sony A1. The fact A1 and A7RV are this close is clearly off.
but you are comparing price against R5 which is around couple year old. A7RV will come down with time.
I am not going to get into which is superior argument because they are a bit different.
It will clearly depend on your requirements and lens collection, but let's just lay out some basic specs. Both 8k / 8k+ sensors and offer video as such. Above that the extra resolution is mostly meaningless, but if you shoot all the latest GM glass on tripod, so you will see an edge in your 4mx2.5m prints. FPS - clear win for Canon. Lenses - that depends on what you have or are willing to buy. Rolling shutter??? Any ideas? AF maybe minor edge to Sony but doubt there is much in it. Ergonomics - both awful. I don't want to pay over £2k for either to be quite honest.

I am disappointed with Canon RF glass on the whole plus their decision to lock out 3rd parties so there is no chance of getting good affordable glass. And even if I won the lottery to fork out for the expensive ones they are mostly not great either.
Agreed. Even if you can wait it out long enough for prices to drop they will still be all plastic, fully electronic, no focus window, no nothing so likely a shorter lifespan than EF glass due to mechanical failure and accidental damage. They have incredible f/1.2 primes and that f/2 zoom is pretty special so you would really properly buy into canon RF system because of that glass.

Park have a used Q2 reporter edition at £4699, I checked what the trade in / cash value would be if I wanted to get out of it again, MPB £2400 Park £3000

Shocking residual value, at least our Sony kit gives a reasonable return when selling.

Park have a used Q2 reporter edition at £4699, I checked what the trade in / cash value would be if I wanted to get out of it again, MPB £2400 Park £3000

Shocking residual value, at least our Sony kit gives a reasonable return when selling.

Whenever I feel even remotely tempted I remember that my Panny GX80 has a 14mm on it and I have both AF and MF 28mm lenses that'll fit on my A7.

They may not be Leica's but at the mo I can't see myself buying even a used Leica at those prices.

As always good luck to those who do spend their hard earned money on them and enjoy them.

£2400 at panamoz if my memory serves me well. I nearly bought it but went with 5Ds instead.

Nope it was over 3k. I only know cause I bought one myself the day they put them live as nobody else had stock and I needed it for a job. Think it was around £3200 from memory.

Had a big drop in price about 2 months later and then another a couple of months after that.

Not 100% sure of exact figure but was about £200-300 cheaper than U.K retail.

They do the same with everything including lenses. Always better to wait price wise for a few months after they sucker in those that must buy straight away.

Last edited:

Yes, but the longer term ownership is much better. If you bought a Leica Q at release £2,650 and 7 years later its worth say £1850 in a private sale, thats £800 over 7 years or £115 a year

Last edited:
I am totally fed up with this rain ... I think we have had one clear day in about 3 weeks.
Absolutely hammering it down outside.

I would have liked to get out in the fog we had here for a few mornings but couldn't get out.

A couple of Sony 85mm f1.8 pictures with a background to tax the bokeh.

m9v0YoX.jpg

SbO9oDm.jpg

I like the second one and have it framed, A4. The face detect missed the nearer eye and is more on the further but in the print it's not really visible.

One last one, Sony 35mm f2.8.

Just looking.

3yZu9Ul.jpg

I would have liked to get out in the fog we had here for a few mornings but couldn't get out.
I drove to work in it through the New Forest at 4.30am. Absolute hell driving at 20mph along a narrow road in the pitch black and having to deal with kamikaze New Forest ponies who just stand in the middle of the road looking at you (not to mention cows, pigs, deer, rabbits and a fox ... although not all that morning)

I drove to work in it through the New Forest at 4.30am. Absolute hell driving at 20mph along a narrow road in the pitch black and having to deal with kamikaze New Forest ponies who just stand in the middle of the road looking at you (not to mention cows, pigs, deer, rabbits and a fox ... although not all that morning)
At least you have the sense to drive at 20Mph - I live not that far from the Forest, and (as you probably know) it's a reasonably regular thing in the Hampshire news pages to have someone write off their car, kill livestock, etc. as a result of thinking the roads are clear and racing along at 60 mph+

At least you have the sense to drive at 20Mph - I live not that far from the Forest, and (as you probably know) it's a reasonably regular thing in the Hampshire news pages to have someone write off their car, kill livestock, etc. as a result of thinking the roads are clear and racing along at 60 mph+

Yup, makes my blood boil when I'm driving through the forest at 30mph and those prats overtake like it's a grand prix. For the life of me I can't understand why because you can guarantee I will come across them 5 minutes later stuck in a traffic jam. Not bothered about them or their car tbh but the animal is another matter.

Last edited:
Yup, makes my blood boil when I'm driving through the forest at 30mph and those prats overtake like it's a grand prix. For the life of me I can't understand why because you can guarantee I will come across them 5 minutes later stuck in a traffic jam. Not bothered about them or their car tbh but the animal is another matter.

We're plagued with speeding cars and very likely illegal motorbikes here and my only thought is that if they're going to kill themselves I hope they don't take anyone with them. Them, I don't really care about.

Last edited:
Tell me again why can't we have a £100 1TB NVME inside of every single camera today?

My first thought is overheating, especially in a confined space like a camera. Also, aren't regular NVME still quite large when thinking about a camera?

I seem to recall something about BGA SSD which I think is a compact version of NVME?

My first thought is overheating, especially in a confined space like a camera. Also, aren't regular NVME still quite large when thinking about a camera?

I seem to recall something about BGA SSD which I think is a compact version of NVME?
I've handled a few different nvmes and some seem to take up on half of the space on the board. But let's presume we have to go with the full size for whatever reason, including cost factor. The only really significant dimension is the length. So an obvious place is the very bottom of the camera just above the tripod hole; made it a few mm taller to accommodate 1 or 2 units as required. An increased height would in fact be most welcome for many people like myself.
While they sit idle there is no extra heat. For stills use there is no issue at all. For video you may just want to link up the heatsink to the exterior metal body. In any case it won't be any worse than your average cf express of whatever modern fast card.
A good example of this would be the dji mavic 3 cine. If a video drone can do it with all the restrictions, so can a still camera.
In fact there are some clever nvme adapters that will slot in to some cameras and output an external nvme. There is quite a significant cost saving in doing so if you can put up with the cables and all. So it makes me think this is all about milking extra money and agreements with certain companies.

Last edited:

I wouldn't ever be keen on owning a camera body that relies on internal storage. It is a very obvious failure point.

Would expect that is why we are never likely to see it.

Might be an option if it was available as some sort of detachable unit, would imagine that an oem solution for that would be very expensive, cards are relatively cheap in comparison and also have the advantage of being able to be used by a range of different camera systems.

I remember seeing a while back that a third party company had an nvme product for cameras. It didn't do well and was a ridiculous price.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ever be keen on owning a camera body that relies on internal storage. It is a very obvious failure point.

Would expect that is why we are never likely to see it.
There is no reason it can't be easily replaceable like in a laptop or even hot swappable. Absolutely none.

DJI cine 3 has it, your phone has it, in fact everyone phone has it (Integrated into board) and they are fine. Just make it accessible and problem solved.

Back