The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Could it be true?

Could Sony add a front control wheel to their evf on the left style cameras? Maybe they'll add one but take the back one off? If they do bring out an evf on the left style camera with an additional front control wheel a future FF one could maybe interest me but not if it has all the hobbles (for me) the A7c has.

Oh, and a new zoom lens too.

Could it be true?

Could Sony add a front control wheel to their evf on the left style cameras? Maybe they'll add one but take the back one off? If they do bring out an evf on the left style camera with an additional front control wheel a future FF one could maybe interest me but not if it has all the hobbles (for me) the A7c has.

Oh, and a new zoom lens too.

Hopefully it doesn't have a gimped Auto ISO too.

Lovely images from your holiday Toby. I loved my holiday there some years back. So many opportunities for beautiful photos.
Thanks, yeah it's lovely we had a really nice time.
Toby, having changed from the A9ii to the A1 was it worth it?
That's a very difficult one to answer as I don't think any of them are "worth" the extreme price tags they have, even when bought grey, but if you want them you have to pay it. This being said the A9ii and A1 are the best cameras I've had. I have definitely noticed the benefits of the A1 over the A9ii and for me they justify the change. One that I didn't think would be a big deal is the extra resolution, going from the A7RIV to the A9ii I didn't miss it that much, but since getting the A1 I have done more wildlife and the extra res really helps.

The bird eye AF is another big one, shooting birds now kinda feels like cheating :LOL: The lack of lag when doing slow shutter pans is also a big one for me. Then there's the little things like the EVF, and the 1/2 stop extra DR. The 30fps is overkill for me, and 20fps is still overkill a lot of the time.

For me it's been 'worth' it, but I would guess for some they're not going to see much of an advantage.

Thanks, yeah it's lovely we had a really nice time.

That's a very difficult one to answer as I don't think any of them are "worth" the extreme price tags they have, even when bought grey, but if you want them you have to pay it. This being said the A9ii and A1 are the best cameras I've had. I have definitely noticed the benefits of the A1 over the A9ii and for me they justify the change. One that I didn't think would be a big deal is the extra resolution, going from the A7RIV to the A9ii I didn't miss it that much, but since getting the A1 I have done more wildlife and the extra res really helps.

The bird eye AF is another big one, shooting birds now kinda feels like cheating :LOL: The lack of lag when doing slow shutter pans is also a big one for me. Then there's the little things like the EVF, and the 1/2 stop extra DR. The 30fps is overkill for me, and 20fps is still overkill a lot of the time.

For me it's been 'worth' it, but I would guess for some they're not going to see much of an advantage.
I have the Birds Eye focus on the 7iv. I see the A1 as a combination of the best bits of the A7iv and the A9ii but can I justify the cost.

I have the Birds Eye focus on the 7iv. I see the A1 as a combination of the best bits of the A7iv and the A9ii but can I justify the cost.
I'd add the A7R V in there too as it has the bigger higher res EVF and the higher res sensor, although not quite as high as the A7R V of course.

I'd add the A7R V in there too as it has the bigger higher res EVF and the higher res sensor, although not quite as high as the A7R V of course.
It’s caught my eye at £3k grey, must resist. Then again if it had a Leica badge it would be about £10k lol

It’s caught my eye at £3k grey, must resist. Then again if it had a Leica badge it would be about £10k lol
I assume you mean the A7R V not the A1?

From the rumor site... A why I switched brands vid...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LXLkLaqEbU&t=665s

This interested me for two reasons. Firstly, the number of times she mentions loving Canon, not wanting to leave Canon and being emotionally attached to Canon. This is amazing and for me very difficult to relate to. Secondly, for all I know she may be a tiny lady but if she isn't just the size of that honking great Canon camera and lens.

This is not a lens I've ever thought about buying but they do have their fans.

This is not a lens I've ever thought about buying but they do have their fans.

I'm surprised youve never had one! Known for the swirly bokeh, they are surprisingly sharp in the centre (even wide open), and amazingly in my case cover the whole GFX sensor with only slight soft vignetting

I'm surprised youve never had one! Known for the swirly bokeh, they are surprisingly sharp in the centre (even wide open), and amazingly in my case cover the whole GFX sensor with only slight soft vignetting

Two reasons.

I prefer 50mm to 55 and 58 is getting that bit longer and I think they're a bit too extreme.

Last edited:
This is the last of the Pen y Fan Brecon Beacons shots everyone!!!

Phew.... :) << Yeah, I heard ya! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

*** by Lee, on Flickr

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Very nice, I didn’t get a chance to try astro in the end as we didn’t have clear skies at night.

Well I've just pulled the trigger on a A1. A friend of mine only a few years older than me is in hospital in an induced coma with a 50/50 chance of coming out of it. It made me think life is too short so enjoy it while you can.

Well I've just pulled the trigger on a A1. A friend of mine only a few years older than me is in hospital in an induced coma with a 50/50 chance of coming out of it. It made me think life is too short so enjoy it while you can.

Yup. Enjoy. And the old saying... You can't take it with you.

Hope your friend has the best possible outcome.

My next big buy will probably be another car as Mrs has her test next month and it's in an auto. I bought an Evoque thinking she'd drive it and she said she would and she has a XTrail which she left in Thailand which must be about the same size or maybe bigger, so all should be good? But. Once I got the Evoque she then announced she doesn't want to drive it and she now wants a small auto.

I don't mind buying another car but that'll be four and Mrs WW will pester me to sell at least one of the cars I have and I really want them all.

From the rumor site...

£454 on the Pergear site.

From the rumor site...

£454 on the Pergear site.

I find it really strange that they are open for preorders yet there is no information about the size and weight of the lens!

One from yesterday with the TTArtisan 50mm f2.

This path was widened by 3ft by the council a while back. They went down with a tractor fitted with cutting things each side and just smashed anything in the way cutting whole trees down and cutting bushes way back and then they tarmacked the path. I thought it was an act of utter vandalism but thankfully the bushes are recovering and it doesn't look as bad as it did when it'd first been done.

DSC02486.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. Enjoy. And the old saying... You can't take it with you.

Hope your friend has the best possible outcome.

My next big buy will probably be another car as Mrs has her test next month and it's in an auto. I bought an Evoque thinking she'd drive it and she said she would and she has a XTrail which she left in Thailand which must be about the same size or maybe bigger, so all should be good? But. Once I got the Evoque she then announced she doesn't want to drive it and she now wants a small auto.

I don't mind buying another car but that'll be four and Mrs WW will pester me to sell at least one of the cars I have and I really want them all.
That’s a hard one.

Makes you think doesn't it, hope they make a full recovery.

I very much hope your friend is ok and I've had similar feelings myself, I was on the fence about buying a Sony A9 a few years back as it would be the most I've spent on a camera and would mean a change of system. My Dad was in hospital and we received bad news so I thought screw it, life's too short and ordered the A9 even though I'm not a very impulsive person. I'm glad I did as it's captured many amazing shots for me that I may not have managed to get otherwise and you can't go back in time to capture shots again.

Even after a few years it still amazes me what it can do as I was trying to get shots of the dog slamming in the water as he accelerated in for a swim but lazily had only taken the 100-400mm lens which I was shooting one handed at close range (to allow me throw the stick in) and was thinking it's probably just a waste of time but the camera has absolutely nailed so many of the shots, I can pick and choose. I was thinking years ago with my old Olympus E-3 and 50-200mm how many shots I took to get a handful I was happy with my of my first dog breaking the waves and pushing off into a loch.

Last edited:
Which makes me wonder what damage might have been caused instead if the shutter was NOT closed, and the focused sunlight instead fell on the sensor?

Probably not as much, as that’s pretty much what a camera does in operation. I’m guessing the thin plastic (?) shutter simply melted.

Probably not as much, as that’s pretty much what a camera does in operation. I’m guessing the thin plastic (?) shutter simply melted.
Not really, you don’t (or shouldn’t) leave a sensor exposed to magnified light for long periods as it can still get damaged. I’m sure it’s more resistant than shutter blades due the the filters etc on the front of the sensor, but it’s still susceptible to damage like any part such as the plastic housing seen here in a 7D II

IMG_5872.jpeg

Back