The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yes with 1.4x.
Gives 560mm f6.3. the 200-600mm feels a wee bit more snappy at times especially with cluttered background but not sure if that's just A7IV being more snappy.
Nikon have always had an issue when the background is busy from my experience, I remember a member on here having lengthy discussions with Nikon about it in the past, on the D6 IIRC. I think it was @sk66 but I could be wrong.

Nikon have always had an issue when the background is busy from my experience, I remember a member on here having lengthy discussions with Nikon about it in the past, on the D6 IIRC. I think it was @sk66 but I could be wrong.
hmmm... I very rarely get nice clean backgrounds to shoot in. With wildlife its not like I can choose majority of the time.

In fact at closer distances, the Z8+PF just refused to lock on at all with busy background. was shooting a small reed warbler in the reeds, and it took a few tries to get A7IV to focus but it got there in the end. My friend just gave up on his Z8.
May be if we messed around with the settings, or aided it a little manually it would also get there in the end. But by the time you faff about with settings, the bird is generally gone.

Not that my pictures were great but its in focus.

Anyway I am going to watch more videos about the AF system. I will try again in a couple weeks or so.
I still like the lens, more I use it more I'd really prefer to use it over the 200-600mm.

Not watched this but might be of interest to those considering the Z8

I thought it was an odd comparison to pick because since they're quite different cameras, like people choosing between the A9 series and the A7R series at one point - they have different feature sets so whichever is closer to your needs is the better choice. I wouldn't even consider a non-stacked sensor camera now so the R camera is immediately out of contention while I'm sure for some people the R is a much better choice for their needs.

I thought it was an odd comparison to pick because since they're quite different cameras, like people choosing between the A9 series and the A7R series at one point - they have different feature sets so whichever is closer to your needs is the better choice. I wouldn't even consider a non-stacked sensor camera now so the R camera is immediately out of contention while I'm sure for some people the R is a much better choice for their needs.
Well they are similarly priced. As he says in the video to get the same kind of body you need spend a lot more on Sony.
A9II costs around the same and is probably a more appropriate comparison but it'll probably lose out because it's a few years old.

R5 is bit of a half way house between A7rv and Z8.

So the camera saga is over, after considering a RIV/V model for my use it would be overkill for the amount of images I shoot. So another A9II on the way. Overkill for weddings but at least they both match, and it is a lovely bit of kit.
You can shoot A7RV at a lower file size (i.e. the camera will downsize) can't shoot A9II to give you higher res ;)

You can shoot A7RV at a lower file size (i.e. the camera will downsize) can't shoot A9II to give you higher res ;)
Correct, trust me I spent so long researching it. I considered getting one and using M1 to have medium RAW at focal length, and then M2 to use full 61mp in super 35 to get a 1.5 crop and still be 24mp+ so you could have a 24/35 with light gathering of 1.4 at 24mp+ in one body.

But there's something about having two camera the same for what I do (especially screens) and I don't need to shoot higher than 24mp so I'd buy one just to use on lower resolution. Also doesn't have elec shutter, which I'm really enjoying using at the moment.

After my query the other day about which camera to choose, A7IV / A7R5 / A9.
Unless i change my mind again :D i have decided to keep the R2 for landscape stuff and i am going to try out an A9 for the other genres.
I have put a wanted post for an A9 if anyone is thinking of moving one on.

Hope to go to RIAT this year, with a decent camera that can autofocus on the fast jets etc.
The R2`s AF didn't cut it last time.

Well they are similarly priced. As he says in the video to get the same kind of body you need spend a lot more on Sony.
A9II costs around the same and is probably a more appropriate comparison but it'll probably lose out because it's a few years old.

R5 is bit of a half way house between A7rv and Z8.
I don't think comparing cameras just because they are similarly priced makes any sort of sense, he could do a comparison between a Leica Q3 and Sony A1 because they are similarly priced and clearly not a useful comparison either.

Last edited:
So the camera saga is over, after considering a RIV/V model for my use it would be overkill for the amount of images I shoot. So another A9II on the way. Overkill for weddings but at least they both match, and it is a lovely bit of kit.
Good choice (y)
After my query the other day about which camera to choose, A7IV / A7R5 / A9.
Unless i change my mind again :D i have decided to keep the R2 for landscape stuff and i am going to try out an A9 for the other genres.
I have put a wanted post for an A9 if anyone is thinking of moving one on.

Hope to go to RIAT this year, with a decent camera that can autofocus on the fast jets etc.
The R2`s AF didn't cut it last time.
The A9 won't struggle, should be a breeze (y)

I've enjoyed my A9 so much, I'm considering selling my A7IV which has nearly 50,000 on the shutter count for an A9II. Don't get me wrong I'm going to miss bird eye AF, and the extra resolution for cropping, but the A7IV does really feel like an elephant in mechanical, vs the electronic capabilities of the A9

Last edited:
How does everybody carry their 200-600mm? My trusty CarrySpeed Prime Edition is nearly finished at it appears pretty hard to get a replacement - I don't think they are made anymore.

Has anybody got or tried the Leofoto system with replacement foot? I have the peak design slide but find the length too short

Last edited:
How does everybody carry their 200-600mm? My trusty CarrySpeed Prime Edition is nearly finished at it appears pretty hard to get a replacement - I don't think they are made anymore.

Has anybody got or tried the Leofoto system with replacement foot? I have the peak design slide but find the length too short
I use the Peak design slide, I'm 6'4" and don't find it short, camera sits on my hip whilst walking :thinking:

Sitting on the pebbles at Sidmouth (Sony A65 / 16~300mm Tamron)

Sitting on the pebble beach Sidmouth A65 DSC00308.jpg

What are your thoughts on it? It would be a direct replacement to the old Sony 24-70f4 for me.
Most definitely, it's better than the old 24-70mm is almost every aspect apart from the size. But it's not a big lens either.

Its a fantastic lens, excellent image quality all round.
Contemplating getting an A7C just to permanently glue this lens on to it now that the lens has an aperture ring and I wouldn't miss the forefinger dial as much.

Most definitely, it's better than the old 24-70mm is almost every aspect apart from the size. But it's not a big lens either.

Its a fantastic lens, excellent image quality all round.
Contemplating getting an A7C just to permanently glue this lens on to it now that the lens has an aperture ring and I wouldn't miss the forefinger dial as much.
.... and compared to the 24-105G?

Peak Design Slide Lite with anchors on the two holes on the lens, but usually if I am just out with no more lenses etc I just carry it by the lens foot.

.... and compared to the 24-105G?
It feels a wee bit sharper than the 24-105mm too but I haven't done side by side comparison.
But more than minimal differences in sharpness I'd consider the range (wider vs longer), size/weight differences, aperture ring, OSS vs no OSS, 72mm vs 77mm filters etc

for me in the past I have tried tamron 28-200mm with UWA lenses (not long enough), Sony 24-105mm with an UWA prime+100-400mm (too heavy).
now I am trying 20-70mm+tamron 70-300mm combination for travelling and landscape. Hoping its a nice balance between being wide enough, long enough and light enough.

In future might replace the 70-300mm with an APS-C body+70-350mm if sony comes out with a nice APS-C body.

that's my thinking behind it all anyway.

Last edited:
AJFCJaXWROUgADlCRStgk8x0YtGebia0k2KnJKughVC-LbWMdbl-aC6pgvsNqCmt6XXP05enSFvkbrFHEdKJYgtx3e1AcSKlbd4zalVS_rfehmrgh7XArJRKdAYbifwW5uJfDJg_EjHqpIeyrGCv1t_v7YEh=w2352-h1568-s-no

AJFCJaWbEu5dgcFwI_ErDpb3_65vjcjXq8YcJrjCUVFgrBynAPSTd9IV8U3UYP0g1ONlTcYZNmoqaFYmh8sEuN_TYugy7QqI4vMUoeoIznYJJlfRyVOYtaCf-cnCHYVkffAG6j4X9CsSnDrPwkGJbSmP4npfFotZUKt6LldcHG33V3V7mbRI3dNDmuOReont1OMi_qeL64ll09i3TLH7N0WFYhQ49sCJilDYxYkYYphZuBWPuQKInENtHIAxeyVBCPo7EGLOiNpT0SGT4BG9HRO5px-aKkrfIuGFUUGMrUI_JM_7fxvtyr31BVQ3jrQPhjPqpolXPidJfDioX7mtq4K3tUIhNzgyhcAZ2XZgLoZ0KjSRqJTOpUWmiO6jSQiTVC2dwqFAwKUXb391DcZ5Coln671-RaMFPGnoStxbGkTfqsjDSyi9Z4xzOslSPhxUbIksviCNEJzkfybSVglfW8wndVCdQS5d62ViaZKOv-w06bCUhU8-0eKNDFw58J7a9vPnb2XJqQjjE5w2WhpRovtMjtn2HjQfPz1Lj3EkiYBk-1smtqXhrO5ZBJWZzl8ZWhIOMTyYAGnBCspL85xkAz7atvl1PHWWeAwgzljLLW3ll8W2sLLqHxezOpPJid2M4Gvf0ib6ZxG5Wsyc6OHpjplmC40xrqKB-Kv29eytdaaK_XAlMNpsY_q97isTnzhubCJREH2K4IcC96pzvHz-AKlR0KKYOaQiMz1dIKliUc9YuSP0RJxTezuMZZvDr0tzicHg9Scu7aGTI1R6eHkcHDZEPQwvGq6t_-tjKWOVwxuLC2K4jKGXWfSJnwfwZiPb5fAmzpQiPAmkkHpBZexSPIjmCY1ECCl0GL4KNbpoX22XDSD7-bvzYm3iiR9WsC9-K5JHQAmakIDg_kU1mMtQ3-gyog=w2514-h1676-s-no

AJFCJaWj5n_9bE7xCY2tVCbWhOsxtf0bITa_B0t9fwZy_cObt1e8BAt7cUjua1G13qlTxoEIqbJ9KHEc_vsRCtQIzgOa3PISc0QPrMa4utQEAUepnrVLuBEwY0qC_QfhtdF_uHKS4QjTaLeuC_1nOHhbKp28kN1J0DYuZSdUBXHbLubw_PgDcGGEsJ2xKbcQ1jW4gDjC6er44UaDS8h5j08v6_-i-yC-NL3CHkfEpFsf6DB33kt-JN82jS5bCgbVRPwfkwQZZo2iPLuIAW9oI-ZeeD5tOamOMCSoHUdGDTxfFA_Uj0uRhA926N4IfaCEWTioWMfmxnYjkHx7Obf8poRE6qCww2P5m3QKBTdpXx6G3kGDt35VPQVBmAOPJ-Q4KQcpucmL0E9cp71hK13FnJPbprf-ZOoIHmoKYClSWbDZOUrkOahcif3mYauQkoneH0ha4LUygyIdbLQRRjt0LwZaSWPZvngGqaQHfKNBejCnwiIzZ4V2dAGr6ZcFEY3raqEV2-3rhVidLJu6fwN6ZRRY2dSht69IDFG1C6K0SArWSKdhv2Zz3ettHEmsY_FuPBpNNKpYjOFkH--BrDoyyk0MLj4Lty0HrcYFynGNp0y8fuimcV0dDJpDv6lF5idRE-F9Nf_FAqLscWt5fnLhFy2E3S66ydjUnhh1Zgqi8iadwyibzKT5xQbhBY2BGEbRHqc7NhQMcGem7HSS1-oy8UuD9L248D-gSSOi0jnAth43DSQL3oOQotxXOItyVuaOv4TMZTwtKgQ_BJlnBmr9gPDjrgynQZ30_TDO1YnoJkWYT52bxwJ5aiw1wAZgWS7dPMUdwfA3XvJfmxnOfzJHD7IALyTDqImvNYYk_7ttms5fJk-HOIY7e36WARzEZiKVlofeHXA2hvo5OI554vSvbao5ew=w2514-h1676-s-no

AJFCJaUAqnA3_tEPPxlZhnreLOM2RH26HYu7cIZDFX846XXw_UcI9z0voikvZpTGA5-HcBo_S4Ng5WaYRoYosvfN2SnitdPGszFA_VMcg4OB03lRammqady_nIQRbDMk22xpY-joqrNm2eXgz7Xf47gbzeSzc48Hc8Vv0FjlfTOy9qj_sEMhcOVp4hNIRK1L6tM1H-LjUVeDhXOEJoqgCXHoOJk_UzykAi-BzJVPzgQmHlOw-nxWwH5Vo2WZes222YasEMUYUOV_3_2ccWm2I2dGgi3NkAfa8zrC6BwQXVl1MjFp39nUhYMkTNIKL6fNKYGhgY8mOhtt2VgUDM1Z-ptYJbs9eWW-fp6zWUhIaWSBBiW75hdTjYJJfCnu5VAMC6LlEqpsw8oXoxOxIzp4smjv5pGmJF98AMTPO82Bze0aFKvUrYDuFPNTKeCnMEKanSUhwdocDBIe8iHPwA8ZL67qiELl7plZHlyexfCCQakxN4qYokiPuyxFCdyoXBW8BF56yNXLVzXqth9yobK2ixwnhdBKul0RAKhXC6Xv25u8rortnBrcmxkMDgJ-vDAeFzEkjMqmvPx4GM6dPUZ8xaMyWJIN7dr73azpak6Kk4CCHXuJXJgVV2fVnurbdXeoGyNA-7t_KFzUUDYkxOpTKF7xHLiNqDMzxihSN1c6gryg_mGweagpb59PbwtK-dbHhejouaenSLvsMSwcLAtqHbK2dHfLs0AXAK4_Oz8j0uW7sCatcqMp1Knhk6PSZ7uKvUkcbNGIM6ZIwSyq2wurvH-DEKMmxKIg-ad_AqagQBa51BFmXDBJq0Ti3t9VkMmNAL1PAoVIMyLfeLVLRMbSBf9wmON5u1-6qurW0hK4lNOuZxLgfM_vFD2liDjZ9gGpaWm9c5fr-mdgm3IeGD55G2Q5tg=w2514-h1676-s-no

AJFCJaXv_GRMcTtL6ZwbWwdc9ldEdJPDlnT97-5PzsgqEh33AnkmJEc4micdEdfEIgw8UQzvrdHoNhrBlFWErA3JbEWcVD71ynix09szo7493SR-ghGpNJHj1jqSefETrnebWXDDP2dSZ4urkQxonajA8cz_F2vIfFoyd8OzOjE-9izm2VQeWwTa-Ki77xKUQxfAhWCnkQ-6WdQsnbdceMNb4C01e5Xyclhfv6HC_a1m1rnloeLkrPPBjC4gEZrdLNiN2YLTevrPAarV4AEwXwvmV5v_e9OkRNuX7J2OfD-pEt40Sv0KMZn6FLLORqAIzWm2AUp2CfutNn2Q5swj1lLn6ZuApA4MN99jhZQBkbftI2d-IBr9GpMAhl2ZFT3OgCLedH4Oe1q8wfp6vPDjjqFg-ivLsW9yXBBO3C_ChSu1ao3PAXFcR5TFwiqMLpAbIR3_gqFizlckhbsRcShLy8v7OQimzsxaiaj-JxJpWhDWv_EmdEHn8_jtW2jdHVae3aNw2MiT1mUCk9Ih-UMh4FowtMpeQffiiiB3tgwAggVHAw8dF-9hmOYohZR3RXCvL9t2s6Gk_CiOVD6lsTEIxACMtfv7CAIqEXWt2me9uiarz33kZJ2eTcAu1nG1oW9r2hVU3JS25hrl6QfyRh7ySJ_b2YRQh0lgPDzcuEHhGcYm-7I_OnjWG9_FQzWNPbbjlBEe1Yt16iaM-zdoKcemk4LpMvTlBGsd_1Fxf7AX7eqzsojfPJRBAM_Ff0LhDwIq5rADflomXlAb_yvXi-JFxNOsE8mShAZ4-Ga6iO-gdTTP4Tko6s5FB3ZnroEJo9wzn-Qxv6Bva1Y_aLDu338ychxi_ZO0xdB3CtMm2B3pHg8uEJGwgSqkwQ84RiVF40ptzTfv1gkLX3M-F-VS3TNeg35x2Q=w1676-h1676-s-no

It feels a wee bit sharper than the 24-105mm too but I haven't done side by side comparison.
But more than minimal differences in sharpness I'd consider the range (wider vs longer), size/weight differences, aperture ring, OSS vs no OSS, 72mm vs 77mm filters etc

for me in the past I have tried tamron 28-200mm with UWA lenses (not long enough), Sony 24-105mm with an UWA prime+100-400mm (too heavy).
now I am trying 20-70mm+tamron 70-300mm combination for travelling and landscape. Hoping its a nice balance between being wide enough, long enough and light enough.

In future might replace the 70-300mm with an APS-C body+70-350mm if sony comes out with a nice APS-C body.

that's my thinking behind it all anyway.
I've been toying with the idea of replacing the 24-105 for the 20-70.
I've always liked the 24-105 range but the wider angle of the 20-70 would be a bonus.
the 70mm max wouldn't be a problem as this where APSC mode comes in handy bringing it to 105mm
Having recently sold my 12-24G, I'm now looking at some of the wide angle zooms

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the 24-105 for the 20-70.
I've always liked the 24-105 range but the wider angle of the 20-70 would be a bonus.
the 70mm max wouldn't be a problem as this where APSC mode comes in handy bringing it to 105mm
Having recently sold my 12-24G, I'm now looking at some of the wide angle zooms
Well the APS-C mode applied to 24-105mm gets you further still :)
If 105mm of reach is all you need then it's fine to just crop in with a high Res body. Otherwise you'll need a lens to cover the long end with something else.

Also Sony 24-105mm will give shallower DoF at 105mm f4 compared cropping in from 70mm f4. Personally I'm not fussed.

I had the 12-24mm G and it's a really nice lens. But I never found myself using the 12mm much. Anything over 16mm isn't really something I'd use regularly. I quite like 20mm and it's wide enough for most purposes. In the odd cases I need to go wider I'm happy to take 3-4 shots in portrait orientation and make a pano.

Last edited:
Well the APS-C mode applied to 24-105mm gets you further still :)
If 105mm of reach is all you need then it's fine to just crop in with a high Res body. Otherwise you'll need a lens to cover the long end with something else.

Also Sony 24-105mm will give shallower DoF at 105mm f4 compared cropping in from 70mm f4. Personally I'm not fussed.

I had the 12-24mm G and it's a really nice lens. But I never found myself using the 12mm much. Anything over 16mm isn't really something I'd use regularly. I quite like 20mm and it's wide enough for most purposes. In the odd cases I need to go wider I'm happy to take 3-4 shots in portrait orientation and make a pano.
I use my Sigma 100-400 if I need to go beyond 105mm
Until recently I had the 12-24, 24-105 & 100-400 so basically covered from 12mm - 600mm but I very rarely used the 12-24 so sold it.
My new dilemma is whether to sell the Tamron 17-28 and replace it with the new 16-35PZ
However, I also have the Tamron 28-200 on my a7c and the 17-28 compliments it perfectly - same filter thread as well.

I use my Sigma 100-400 if I need to go beyond 105mm
Until recently I had the 12-24, 24-105 & 100-400 so basically covered from 12mm - 600mm but I very rarely used the 12-24 so sold it.
My new dilemma is whether to sell the Tamron 17-28 and replace it with the new 16-35PZ
However, I also have the Tamron 28-200 on my a7c and the 17-28 compliments it perfectly - same filter thread as well.
I have had two 17-28mm in the past and never got along. The zoom range is too small IMO. You can crop in him 17mm to 28mm lol. Just buy the sigma 17mm f4 :p

The 100-400mm options are too big and heavy for my travel needs.

If you are happy carrying 100-400mm and you feel 20mm is wide enough then 20-70mm+100-400mm could work too. You could also replace the 100-400mm with tamron 50-400mm which is about the same size/weight.

hmmm... I very rarely get nice clean backgrounds to shoot in. With wildlife its not like I can choose majority of the time.

In fact at closer distances, the Z8+PF just refused to lock on at all with busy background. was shooting a small reed warbler in the reeds, and it took a few tries to get A7IV to focus but it got there in the end. My friend just gave up on his Z8.
May be if we messed around with the settings, or aided it a little manually it would also get there in the end. But by the time you faff about with settings, the bird is generally gone.

Not that my pictures were great but its in focus.

Anyway I am going to watch more videos about the AF system. I will try again in a couple weeks or so.
I still like the lens, more I use it more I'd really prefer to use it over the 200-600mm.
There are several reasons why mirrorless cameras prefer a more distant subject and backgrounds... they all amount to "it's just easier."

There's also a lot of potential differences between how the two cameras were set up... i.e. which focus mode was used (e.g. wide area modes on the Z have a nearest bias), what aperture was selected and used for AF (e.g. Sony's aperture drive mode), etc, etc.

With mirrorless cameras I highly recommend programming a button to recall *MFD if that's an option... otherwise just pointing it at the ground and forcing it to hunt to MFD works, or a MF override...

(*Actual subject distance would be better if known in advance)

Last edited:
I have had two 17-28mm in the past and never got along. The zoom range is too small IMO. You can crop in him 17mm to 28mm lol. Just buy the sigma 17mm f4 :p

The 100-400mm options are too big and heavy for my travel needs.

If you are happy carrying 100-400mm and you feel 20mm is wide enough then 20-70mm+100-400mm could work too. You could also replace the 100-400mm with tamron 50-400mm which is about the same size/weight.
Decisions Decisions :thinking:

Out doing a bit of volunteering with my photography today. It was a event type shoot but I always try and capture images I really like and that tell a story. Hibernian supporters were giving up their time to do some close season sprucing up. This one, to me at least, was the slowest race you will see at a football stadium

The Paint Race by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Out doing a bit of volunteering with my photography today. It was a event type shoot but I always try and capture images I really like and that tell a story. Hibernian supporters were giving up their time to do some close season sprucing up. This one, to me at least, was the slowest race you will see at a football stadium

The Paint Race by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Superb image both visually pleasing and tells a story.

I've enjoyed my A9 so much, I'm considering selling my A7IV which has nearly 50,000 on the shutter count for an A9II. Don't get me wrong I'm going to miss bird eye AF, and the extra resolution for cropping, but the A7IV does really feel like an elephant in mechanical, vs the electronic capabilities of the A9

May be a good move as the cost of change wouldn't be that big. I've managed to get both my A9ii for a smidge over £2k, so then it didn't make sense to go A7IV (unless you need video specs)

May be a good move as the cost of change wouldn't be that big. I've managed to get both my A9ii for a smidge over £2k, so then it didn't make sense to go A7IV (unless you need video specs)
That's a great price, were they well used?

I have no interest in the video aspect. It's all about the still shots for me. Am I allowed to ask where you went for the A9ii

That's a great price, were they well used?
I have no interest in the video aspect. It's all about the still shots for me. Am I allowed to ask where you went for the A9ii

One was a Sony refurb from Camera World with an eBay discount for £2070.

One that has literally just arrived is a 1000 shutter used one but everything in box is still sealed, it’s proper mint. That was £2250 but I’ll sell the memory card that came with it for £50. Again from eBay.

Still not as cheap as my 24GM deal

One was a Sony refurb from Camera World with an eBay discount for £2070.

One that has literally just arrived is a 1000 shutter used one but everything in box is still sealed, it’s proper mint. That was £2250 but I’ll sell the memory card that came with it for £50. Again from eBay.

Still not as cheap as my 24GM deal
I'm always sceptical from buying on eBay as eBay only protect you for something like 60 days. It's completely up to the seller whether they will help you with faults after that, and certainly if buying from an end user, very often they will blank you if there's a problem. Saying that, when you are dealing with a reputable dealer who uses eBay they are more likely to help you outwith the 60 days.

The electronic shutter, and buffer are just game changing with regards what you can capture when you are an opportunistic photographer. I love getting moments that last a split second, you just have more precision and speed over what you can capture with the capabilities of the A7iv

Last edited:
Back