The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
Main camera will be Leica Q3 for a number of reasons.

1/ For personal reasons I want to document life at home, overall size and functionality will suit me better.

2/ Sony as technically brilliant as it is just leaves me cold, there's little to no challenge left when using the gear.

3/ Feel I need to re-establish an identity, this is going to force me to think much harder when shooting, i've become lazy.

4/ Going to be doing a lot of candid work hopefully, some new projects, it will suit my new (or back to my old) style better.

5/ It's already fantastically liberating, no more watching lens videos on YouTube for a start, although I am looking at poncy leather wrist straps rather too much :ROFLMAO:

Interesting points. That Q3 is some camera, especially for being so compact. I get what you mean though, I told myself just one lens for the current DSLR and I'm already looking at a second lol Looking forward to seeing some photos from the Q3.

Interesting points. That Q3 is some camera, especially for being so compact. I get what you mean though, I told myself just one lens for the current DSLR and I'm already looking at a second lol Looking forward to seeing some photos from the Q3.
I don’t think the Q series are particularly compact, especially when you compare it to the likes of the Sony RX1 series, although of course it has a built in VF.

I can understand the ‘appeal’ of just a single focal length but my photography is so varied it just wouldn’t work for me. That being said I have been forcing myself to go out with just the 35mm more these days.

1/ For personal reasons I want to document life at home, overall size and functionality will suit me better.

2/ Sony as technically brilliant as it is just leaves me cold, there's little to no challenge left when using the gear.

3/ Feel I need to re-establish an identity, this is going to force me to think much harder when shooting, i've become lazy.

4/ Going to be doing a lot of candid work hopefully, some new projects, it will suit my new (or back to my old) style better.

5/ It's already fantastically liberating, no more watching lens videos on YouTube for a start, although I am looking at poncy leather wrist straps rather too much :ROFLMAO:

Just my HO but if involvement and a move away from hi tech is the aim I'd go for an A7 and a simple manual lens and stop watching videos on line :D plus a Q3 isn't IMO significantly smaller than a Sony A7x and a compact lens to justify the move to a more expensive camera.

None of that will make a difference to your decision and why should it so I'll wish you well with the move and look forward to seeing some results :D

Nice, hope you enjoy it (y)

I don’t think the Q series are particularly compact, especially when you compare it to the likes of the Sony RX1 series, although of course it has a built in VF.

I can understand the ‘appeal’ of just a single focal length but my photography is so varied it just wouldn’t work for me. That being said I have been forcing myself to go out with just the 35mm more these days.

When I want compact and unobtrusive I use my GX80 and 14mm f2.5 or GM5 and 20mm f1.7. Neither will give the pixel peeping enjoyment or thin depth of the Q3 but in reasonable or even quite poor light they are IMO good enough for many uses :D

Last edited:
Sorry, I know this isn't shot with a Sony but I thought I'd share this I took with my iPhone today, very tame bird

IMG_6049-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Lovely pictures :D

I was last there in 2004 with my Canon 300D. I'd love to go back and have been thing about it recently but at the mo it's impossible.
Thanks, it is a lovely part of the world.

I have one :D I haven't used it much but I do have a picture taken with it printed and framed :D

RX1rii does have an EVF too.
Q is still nicer to use though, despite it being on the heavier/larger side for my liking

Sorry, I know this isn't shot with a Sony but I thought I'd share this I took with my iPhone today, very tame bird

IMG_6049-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
I like it, lots of details still captured.
I really like how starlings shine in the sun. I also really like their colour and patterns. For some reason not everyone shares my liking of these birds

Nice, not been there for a few years, enjoy.

2014 for me!!

Spent the years since on the south Dorset coast so fancied a change. I think the weather is going to be a big change too from the past! :rolleyes: We've been very lucky with sun & hot temperatures in the past but it looks like this will be more of a sightseeing/coastal path photography holiday rather than a beach sea swimming one :ROFLMAO:

I like it, lots of details still captured.
I really like how starlings shine in the sun. I also really like their colour and patterns. For some reason not everyone shares my liking of these birds
I like the colourings on Starlings too. They never let me that close when I have my proper camera and lens though :rolleyes:

I’ve just ordered one. Amazon £149 with a 10% voucher = £137 with postage. Specs claim 400 write is a minimum - but closer to 800 on testing. Coming for China so won’t see it for a couple of weeks.

I’ve slowly been switching to type a - bought 2nd hand and good prices for smaller cards. This one will be a good one for big shoots. If it’s any good I’ll order a 2nd and sell all my SDHC cards. Find the a’s really speed the workflow massively transferring images to computer etc.

Will give it a good test when I get it - if no good it will go back for full refund. Worth a shot.
Have you received the Pergear cards yet?

Thanks.

It was a lovely day. We had fish and chips on the pier and a lovely paddle :D

Don't forget the Sony 28mm f2. It doesn't seem to get a lot of love but after corrections area applied I'm happy with my used buy :D Googling showed me one at a well known seller for £179.

Chips on the pier! What an absolute treat

The expression is awesome, proper "cool dude" look trotting along the beach! lol Lovely creamy bokeh as well with the face super sharp.
Thanks, she absolutely loves the beach. I’m really happy with the 35mm GM, it’s becoming my new favourite lens.

if the specs here are true... colour me impressed

especially the 0.5x magnification through zoom range plus TC compatibility. With 2x TC you can get 1:1 macro.

Plus its smaller and wee bit lighter.

I will believe it when I sees it :p

The macro tag caught my attention as this lens could double as a more general purpose zoom and flower or other detail shot lens. f2.8 would be better than f4 but that'd mean bigger and more expensive.

I do miss the 150mm f2.8 I had for Canon DSLR's and the perspective that gave for flower shots.

Magnification and true macro are different things! It may be able to magnify but what about the field curvature?

I'm not really too interested in true macro as with most flower and detail shots it doesn't matter to me, a reasonable size in the frame and perspective are much more important and at 150mm and longer the distance to the subject will probably be long enough so that all that's required is a close focusing longer lens rather than a true macro. Field curvature will likely be a complete non issue.

The macro tag caught my attention as this lens could double as a more general purpose zoom and flower or other detail shot lens. f2.8 would be better than f4 but that'd mean bigger and more expensive.

I do miss the 150mm f2.8 I had for Canon DSLR's and the perspective that gave for flower shots.
Yes the f2.8 with added macro would probably make it fair bit bigger than current f2.8 lens.

The tamron 70-180mm can do 0.5x magnification too but has a very severe field curvature basically making it useless.
As @Mr Perceptive pointed out it not as simply as achieving a large magnification. But given that Sony is badging it as macro lens I take it then know what "macro" entails.

There are those seek perfection and those who just want pictures that record what they've seen.

I'm in the latter category. Yesterday, I noticed that a very small moth had taken up residence on the outside of our double glazing. It was strongly backlit and all of an inch or so wing tip to wing tip. This is what I managed with a Tamron 16~300mm on an A65, plus a lot of manipulation in Apple Preview...

Small moth on window Tamron 16-300 A65 DSC00536.JPG

Last edited:
Yes the f2.8 with added macro would probably make it fair bit bigger than current f2.8 lens.

The tamron 70-180mm can do 0.5x magnification too but has a very severe field curvature basically making it useless.
As @Mr Perceptive pointed out it not as simply as achieving a large magnification. But given that Sony is badging it as macro lens I take it then know what "macro" entails.

As I keep saying how much I miss that 150mm f2.8 I really should buy something around that length or preferably longer to fulfil that function. I have longer MFT lenses but the apertures aren't conducive to getting the nice bokeh you'd get with a 150mm or longer on FF. I do have film era 135mm's but the working distance seems longer than convenient and they're fiddly with a close focus lens.

if the specs here are true... colour me impressed

especially the 0.5x magnification through zoom range plus TC compatibility. With 2x TC you can get 1:1 macro.

Plus its smaller and wee bit lighter.

I will believe it when I sees it :p
Well it's officially released, time will tell if it's good at Macro or not, I've never been happy with 2x TC's but for close up it might be OK.

Back