The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I don't understand anyone setting a max ISO other than the max available. I'd much rather take the picture than not because the ISO is too high. You can always delete a picture if it isn't useable but don't take it and you haven't got it to evaluate.
I find the max iso on cameras to be far higher than usable for me so I prefer to have the auto iso set to the maximum iso that's acceptable to me and work on changing other settings to stick within that. On rare occasions when I'll accept the higher iso, I'll change it temporarily for that shot and then change it back but I found very high iso shots so noisy that I'd be as well not having the photo.

Same here, Aperture with auto ISO but nearly always need to put in - exposure comp to reduce zebras

I guess that's just scene & metering mode dependant. I can't say whether I go + or - more to be honest.

All I know is that it works well (for me at least!)

Reactions: nog
I find the max iso on cameras to be far higher than usable for me so I prefer to have the auto iso set to the maximum iso that's acceptable to me and work on changing other settings to stick within that. On rare occasions when I'll accept the higher iso, I'll change it temporarily for that shot and then change it back but I found very high iso shots so noisy that I'd be as well not having the photo.
With topaz Denoise and LR’s new Denoise I’ll let it go to 12800 if needs be, but it’s very rare that happens.

Oh well, each to their own.

With aperture there's a hard stop when your lens runs out of it and lowering the shutter speed beyond a certain point isn't the answer if the subject or me and the camera are likely to move so when those limits are reached that leaves high ISO's.

As you can tell from my pictures I'm just a happy snapper with no pretentions to be anything else so I'll take the picture no matter what and see if it'll be useable as a whole picture on screen or maybe a print. Thinking about it, the worst pictures I've ever taken noise wise have been at ISO 25,600 under artificial lights and they are useable as a memory of the moment and doubly so after processing in the new noise software in PS2023.

Last edited:
I always fancied a TR7. My second car and my first new car was a russet brown Mini 1,000. I got a sun roof and a vinyl roof fitted. I loved that car :D

Wasn't a good car then and certainly won't be a good car now, Never fancied a Speke Special, didn't become anything until they chopped the roof off and threw the V8 in - the prototyped Dolomite 16v version might have been interesting though (in convertible form)

Had a play with NIk Effects yesterday, pretty funky but not something I'd use very often, if at all.

A1_04654-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Wasn't a good car then and certainly won't be a good car now, Never fancied a Speke Special, didn't become anything until they chopped the roof off and threw the V8 in - the prototyped Dolomite 16v version might have been interesting though (in convertible form)

You have to judge by the standards of the time and against peers. Quality and reliability wise they seemed to be comparable and maybe a little better than some others of the time and not as good as some others, they certainly tuned quite well. I think the look has aged well too. They still do have fans.

"Ignore the nay-sayers: the Triumph TR7 is a fine classic sports car that’s fun to drive, great to look at and relatively easy to fix. What’s not to like?"

:D

Had a play with NIk Effects yesterday, pretty funky but not something I'd use very often, if at all.

A1_04654-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

I think there's a little too much of everything there for me :D

With Nik there's about about a billion combinations of settings and sliders and filters but I think as with all of this you have to decide what you're going for and when you get there or there abouts stop and step away from the sliders.

A it's quiet.

I thought this might work as a crop.

DSC02798.jpg

DSC02798-c.jpg

DSC02798-c1.jpg

A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 again.

Oh, and PS2023 thinks that nothing is blown. The light was very harsh and if there's nothing blown it's not by much :D

Last edited:
I think there's a little too much of everything there for me :D

With Nik there's about about a billion combinations of settings and sliders and filters but I think as with all of this you have to decide what you're going for and when you get there or there abouts stop and step away from the sliders.
Yeah it’s definitely ‘out there’. I used to have the Nik software when it was free but I’ve lost the installer and I doubt it’d still work anyway. I’ve got the 30 day free trial at the mo but there’s certainly nothing that would make me want to part with £135 to buy it :oops: :$

I still have the free Nik version but I can't get it to work with PS2023. I have tried installing it in different places but it never works, it looks like it's working but the changes aren't applied. I've kept CS5 for when I want to do a mono conversion with Nik. Mono is all I seem to use Nik for these days.

On the subject of glare and back lit subjects.

I really struggled to see detail in the EVF with backlit scenes at Whitby with my A7 and +2 of exposure comp dialled in. I don't have many days like this and in fact it's very unusual but it did make me wonder how much better the EVF's are on later models. Do they cope any show detail any better?

On the subject of glare and back lit subjects.

I really struggled to see detail in the EVF with backlit scenes at Whitby with my A7 and +2 of exposure comp dialled in. I don't have many days like this and in fact it's very unusual but it did make me wonder how much better the EVF's are on later models. Do they cope any show detail any better?
I think it's more difficult to see in bright light but I think most of that is due to light leak into the VF, if I shield my eye with my hand it's much easier to see.

I use the old, free Nik Silver Efex for all my mono stuff, but with my own presets as a starting point. Just like any software package one can make obviously bad choices, but it doesn't have to be like that.

TR7 - my memory of when they were current is that they were attrocious, and were an example of why the British motor industry failed. I had a relly who owned one, and he had a serious accident because of mechanical failure while driving. Just an ugly piece of junk, now nostalgically reimagined as interesting and special. And I'm being polite.

Last edited:
GOzmKLs.jpg

bought a 50mm F1.2 GM to go with my A1 to shoot my own wedding in September! We couldn't find a photographer we liked who had availability at either location (UK and then Spain...) so its turned into a DIY jobby. Will be interesting lol

bought a 50mm F1.2 GM to go with my A1 to shoot my own wedding in September! We couldn't find a photographer we liked who had availability at either location (UK and then Spain...) so its turned into a DIY jobby. Will be interesting lol
Erm.... Ok. I am wondering how you'll photograph AND get married at the same time? :thinking:

That's the most original excuse for buying a new lens I've heard :) . Ive got an anniversary common up:thinking:

I'll set the camera to eye auto focus and aperture priority set at around f4 and give it to my dad to handle. The reception in the evening if in a restaurant we've hired where I can do the same again but using a larger aperture and I have two lumecube pro LED lights and mini tripods I can setup on a low setting in the darkest areas to help with exposure. My wife will have some great photos and I'll just hand it to my dad again with the correct settings to take some of both of us. Got most of it planned already.

Ha I don't need an excuse to splurge the cash on photography stuff. The 600 F4 GM will take some beating in that regard compared to cheap primes!

I'll set the camera to eye auto focus and aperture priority set at around f4 and give it to my dad to handle. The reception in the evening if in a restaurant we've hired where I can do the same again but using a larger aperture and I have two lumecube pro LED lights and mini tripods I can setup on a low setting in the darkest areas to help with exposure. My wife will have some great photos and I'll just hand it to my dad again with the correct settings to take some of both of us. Got most of it planned already.
Sounds like you have your plans already but it’ll be a shame that any friend or family member will miss part of the day to take photos.

I’m sure if my parents were still alive when I got married they would have just wanted to enjoy the day and not have to worry about taking pics of the special moments and not feel part of it.

I’m sure you’ve all discussed it though and know what you’re doing so I hope it goes well (y)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have your plans already but it’ll be a shame that any friend or family member will miss part of the day to take photos.

I’m sure if my parents were still alive when I got married they would have just wanted to enjoy the day and not have to worry about taking pics of the special moments and not feel part of it.
Oh photography isn't anywhere near the main focus of the day. It'll be a 5 minute spree at a few parts of the day and then going back to enjoying ourselves. A lot of people will be taking photos and videos anyway so its more for the "quality" stuff. The bulk will be post ceremony at the place we are getting married at. No dramas

Oh photography isn't anywhere near the main focus of the day. It'll be a 5 minute spree at a few parts of the day and then going back to enjoying ourselves. A lot of people will be taking photos and videos anyway so its more for the "quality" stuff. The bulk will be post ceremony at the place we are getting married at. No dramas
Cool, I have actually updated my post before I realised you’d replied (y)

@snerkler Toby, have you tried your 70-200mm MKII with both teleconverters?

Thinking about getting one and maybe selling on the 100-400mm GM.
I have the 1.4x and really rate it, I think I tried the 2x but could be getting confused with the Nikon one I tried. I know I’ve never used a 2x that I’ve been happy with.

I have the 1.4x and really rate it, I think I tried the 2x but could be getting confused with the Nikon one I tried. I know I’ve never used a 2x that I’ve been happy with.
I think 2x TCs only work well enough with (fast) tele primes.
They also work well enough for macro uses so might still be usable with something like the new 70-200G2 at very close focus distances. Even still I am a little dubious.

I had 2x TC with my old Minolta 200mm f2.8. it worked well enough and was pretty sharp stopped down to f8. With fast teleprimes you also have the room to stop down a little bit to improve the sharpness.

@snerkler Toby, have you tried your 70-200mm MKII with both teleconverters?

Thinking about getting one and maybe selling on the 100-400mm GM.
2x TC was dire with the original 70-200mm f2.8 which made me sell it and get the 100-400mm.

you can use this tool for some comparisons

Looks to be about usable if you are willing to stop down to f8 with the new GMii version.

Last edited:

Best of luck with that

2x TC was a dire with the original 70-200mm f2.8 which made me sell it and get the 100-400mm.

you can use this tool for some comparisons

Looks to be about usable if you are willing to stop down to f8 with the new GMii version.
The trouble with those test charts is that I’d imagine they’re shot at close distance and I find TC’s ok at close distance, it’s when shooting subjects further away the degradation becomes more apparent.

I don’t know anyone with a 2x TC that I could borrow to run my own tests vs the 100-400mm.

The trouble with those test charts is that I’d imagine they’re shot at close distance and I find TC’s ok at close distance, it’s when shooting subjects further away the degradation becomes more apparent.

I don’t know anyone with a 2x TC that I could borrow to run my own tests vs the 100-400mm.
I imagine they are basically shot at the closest distance needed to get the full chart in the frame.
Not sure how big thier chart is but I can't imagine it being 6x4" sized ;)

I imagine they are basically shot at the closest distance needed to get the full chart in the frame.
Not sure how big thier chart is but I can't imagine it being 6x4" sized ;)
I’d imagine no more than 10ft away

I’d imagine no more than 10ft away
I like how folks like phillipreeve test thier lens sharpness at infinity, "portrait distances" and closest focus distance. But they barely test fast telephoto lens let alone with TCs.

But not many people do this. At the end of the day it is a lot of effort for probably very low returns? Most people checking out these reviews probably don't care about about such differences?

I use the old, free Nik Silver Efex for all my mono stuff, but with my own presets as a starting point. Just like any software package one can make obviously bad choices, but it doesn't have to be like that.

TR7 - my memory of when they were current is that they were attrocious, and were an example of why the British motor industry failed. I had a relly who owned one, and he had a serious accident because of mechanical failure while driving. Just an ugly piece of junk, now nostalgically reimagined as interesting and special. And I'm being polite.

Well, there you go whereas when I had a Lotus Elan SE I had a pal who's mildly tuned TR7 he used every day would leave my Lotus behind every time. I suppose a as always a lot came down to how the car was cared for.

Back