The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A7IV by all standards is a better camera.
I had the A7C with an A7riv (traded both in for A1). It was never my main body but my wife enjoyed using it.

I don't think I'd use it as my main body tbh. It's not so much the size though for me, it just lacks a lot of features I value (1/8000s shutter, forefinger dial, more pixels etc)

I mostly always use the EVF and have done so for about a decade now. The current EVFs are many times better than when I started with them so they don't bother me as much.
Thanks @nandbytes I loved the concept of the small size full frame camera and it was great walking around Florida last year with the small kit lens and snapping holiday pictures, but I had to add a base to it as it was slightly small for my hands, putting the 85mm on and it cancels out any real sizing advantages :p
Last day of Sony cashback, local camera shop has a body in stock gonna give them a ring to see if they can price match WEX in price and trade in and that might be a deal breaker if not I'm going to grab a 20mm f1.8 G and persevere with the 7C and see if any decent deals pop up.

Last edited:
Thanks @nandbytes I loved the concept of the small size full frame camera and it was great walking around Florida last year with the small kit lens and snapping holiday pictures, but a had to add a base to it as it was slightly small for my hands, putting the 85mm on and it cancels out any real sizing advantages :p
Last day of Sony cashback, local camera shop has a body in stock gonna give them a ring to see if they can price match WEX in price and trade in and that might be a deal breaker if not I'm going to grab a 20mm f1.8 G and persevere with the 7C and see if any decent deals pop up.

I think the smaller body is really nice in a lot of situations especially while traveling or when you need a second back up body.
But closer to home for everyday photography you don't care about the size as much and as long as it's not obstructively large like the Nikon Z9 for example.

Reactions: JRJ
I tested my Peargear against my Sony type A. On one test it had the Sony slightly faster and on the other test the Peargear slightly faster. My interpretation is they are on a par read and write with the Sony Type a. Shame they market the minimum write speed as their max is the same as all other type a.

£149 on Amazon for 260gb. 10% voucher £137.10, with £3 postage.

Benefit of buying through Amazon for returns etc. Dispatched direct from Peargear. No import etc. Estimates a 2 week deliver - but delivered in 7days.

Going on my hols on Saturday and will have this in the camera. Apparently they have been making type B’s for a while.
I just bought the 520gb card with reader on Amazon. I'll report back in the next few weeks as my cards get hammered with images as I take about 5-10 thousand most weeks on my main camera. Just got a new PC so hoping to make everything as quick as possible and had enough pay from jobs recently that I can invest in quicker kit

I just bought the 520gb card with reader on Amazon. I'll report back in the next few weeks as my cards get hammered with images as I take about 5-10 thousand most weeks on my main camera. Just got a new PC so hoping to make everything as quick as possible and had enough pay from jobs recently that I can invest in quicker kit
That is a lot of storage needed, how do you allocate enough time to review them all ! ?

That is a lot of storage needed, how do you allocate enough time to review them all ! ?
It doesn't take too long in Photomechanic and the vast majority end up in the bin. I'll take around 5-6K of images in a single football match including warm up and general views. Probably takes 2 -3 hours to look through them for stock images and the odd image I may have missed sending from pitch side.

It doesn't take too long in Photomechanic and the vast majority end up in the bin. I'll take around 5-6K of images in a single football match including warm up and general views. Probably takes 2 -3 hours to look through them for stock images and the odd image I may have missed sending from pitch side.
When I started as a pro doing football we had 3x 36 exposure films and that was it and we had to get the shots in that. Although I still do rugby 300 x400 shots a match is the max.

When I started as a pro doing football we had 3x 36 exposure films and that was it and we had to get the shots in that. Although I still do rugby 300 x400 shots a match is the max.
I'm trying to restrict my shooting at sport events these days, that being said when you're shooting at 20fps you can have taken 60 shots before you know it :eek: I'm going to try taking no more than 1000 at Silverstone this weekend but I'm not sure I can be that disciplined :LOL:

I'm trying to restrict my shooting at sport events these days, that being said when you're shooting at 20fps you can have taken 60 shots before you know it :eek: I'm going to try taking no more than 1000 at Silverstone this weekend but I'm not sure I can be that disciplined :LOL:
Are you going to the MotoGP?

This is a Sony mount 28mm which tempts be but it is rather big.

I think this review is better...

Last edited:
Yeah, fingers crossed the rain stays away and Marquez stays fit.
I'm hoping to make it as well as a friend suggested it although still waiting to hear if he can go now, I've been to Silverstone for the FIA WEC which was amazing and I've never been to a MotoGP race so I'm very excited about it.

I'm hoping to make it as well as a friend suggested it although still waiting to hear if he can go now, I've been to Silverstone for the FIA WEC which was amazing and I've never been to a MotoGP race so I'm very excited about it.
I've been a few times, always enjoyed it. I'm just going for the Saturday this year, gives you 4 opportunities to see them (y)

I’ve got my A1 limited to 15fps. Again when I started shooting sports I had a super fast 3fps. :LOL:

Just tested my new to me PC for the first time tonight after a few days of teething issues down to terrible application of thermal paste. I was hoping I would see a big difference and I have. Importing and exporting now miles quicker in LR and denoise on a A1 file at high iso was 1min 45sec on my old i7 7700k and is now 13 seconds on the new 7950x. When you deal with as many files as I do these saving will really mount up and hopefully editing will become less of a chose.

Last edited:
Apologies in advance to anyone possibly suffering from GAS...

I bought the Sony a7t V last week (owning a7r IV and a7r IIIa as well) and used it yesterday for the first time on a proper photoshoot.
And WOW!! - I mean I am used to images from new cameras always looking pretty good.. but I did REALLY like the colours and the way the camera functions.

But now I want the same for my sports camera :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and not going to afford the A1 .. so WHERE IS A9 III ...:p

I’ve got my A1 limited to 15fps. Again when I started shooting sports I had a super fast 3fps. :LOL:
Good old days with 3fps ... that's what I started with with my Canon 400D back in the days... then after some years got the Canon 1D and it had 8fps... and that was just CRAZY fast!.

How is the A1 for sports?? Still worth to buy after it being few years old ... or can I wait for A9 III (if it ever comes out)

Just tested my new to me PC for the first time tonight after a few days of teething issues down to terrible application of thermal paste. I was hoping I would see a big difference and I have. Importing and exporting now miles quicker in LR and denoise on a A1 file at high iso was 1min 45sec on my old i7 7700k and is now 13 seconds on the new 7950x. When you deal with as many files as I do these saving will really mount up and hopefully editing will become less of a chose.
That's really impressive, I've got a top spec Macbook Pro and I've just timed it at 28s on a lossless compressed A1 file.

Good old days with 3fps ... that's what I started with with my Canon 400D back in the days... then after some years got the Canon 1D and it had 8fps... and that was just CRAZY fast!.

How is the A1 for sports?? Still worth to buy after it being few years old ... or can I wait for A9 III (if it ever comes out)
The A1 is a top notch camera, yes it's a couple of years old but the AF is still the one to beat (barring the new subject selection of some of the newer cameras). Sports, BIF, Landscape, portraits, the A1 does it all with ease (y). If it's purely for sports the A9II is still right up there though, if you're not getting the shot with either of these then it's down to the tog not the camera ;)

Weather's not looking good :(

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 08.06.54.jpg

I've just got my camera and gear stolen while in the South of Spain :confused: I've reported the serial numbers I found on my registered devices on https://www.sony.co.uk/mysony/ to the police. I don't remember them being as long on my camera body and lenses though? I have two numbers separated by a dash.
Very sorry to hear this, I hope you get them recovered or have good insurance. The serial numbers on my Sony gear are all 7 digits long whether camera or lens. None sony brand are different of course.

Very sorry to hear this, I hope you get them recovered or have good insurance. The serial numbers on my Sony gear are all 7 digits long whether camera or lens. None sony brand are different of course.
I do have insurance but I'm sad I didn't back up the last photos I took over the weekend on my hike.
On the Sony website, I have the following serial number for my lost A7 IV: 32853730-6585105. The second number has 7 digits, what is the first one preceding the dash?

I just missed the summer sale to buy it back as well it seems... Hopefully I won't have to wait too long before the next sale.

I do have insurance but I'm sad I didn't back up the last photos I took over the weekend on my hike.
On the Sony website, I have the following serial number for my lost A7 IV: 32853730-6585105. The second number has 7 digits, what is the first one preceding the dash?

I just missed the summer sale to buy it back as well it seems... Hopefully I won't have to wait too long before the next sale.

That is 2 serial numbers not one.

Did it come as a kit, maybe one is body one is lens.

I don't know what the first one is, maybe a batch number. When I registered my camera and lenses I had to manually input the serial numbers, did you not have to do the same and if so have you entered them incorrectly? Do you still have the boxes at home, maybe they have the serial numbers on (I can't remember whether they do off the top of my head)
That is 2 serial numbers not one.

Did it come as a kit, maybe one is body one is lens.
All my lenses are 7 digits, as is my body but maybe kit lenses are different? :thinking:

I don't know what the first one is, maybe a batch number. When I registered my camera and lenses I had to manually input the serial numbers, did you not have to do the same and if so have you entered them incorrectly? Do you still have the boxes at home, maybe they have the serial numbers on (I can't remember whether they do off the top of my head)

All my lenses are 7 digits, as is my body but maybe kit lenses are different? :thinking:

No, I just bought the body and I remember inputting a smaller number on the website, hence why I found it weird to see such a big number now. I checked the box and the serial number is indeed the second one after the dash. Thanks for your help!

Hey all, I have a quick question on the Sony A7 camera apps. I'm selling my A7Rii, and I downloaded a Timelapse app years ago. Just wonder if that's linked to an account I may have created? Or would it be linked to the camera?

A1 is top end for sports. I was going to wait for the A9iii but gave in and got the A1. If you can afford it it is worth it.

Looks like you had the weather on your side for Tintagel! I went about 5 years ago and it went from beautiful sunshine to absolutely wild wind and rain within about 15 minutes lol. Went to boscastle after which was also really photogenic

Looks like you had the weather on your side for Tintagel! I went about 5 years ago and it went from beautiful sunshine to absolutely wild wind and rain within about 15 minutes lol. Went to boscastle after which was also really photogenic

Considering how it's been the last month or so, we didn't do too badly all week in all honesty! Managed a few beach days, bit of sightseeing. Managed an evening and sunset at Boscastle, also a nice day at Port Issac. Plus a clear night sky.

Back