The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yes, doable from a clean ISO 100 tripod exposure. Some topaz helps there for sure.

good for you. I find 35mm upper range far too limiting to consider this a general purpose. My general purpose basically consists of a minimum 3 lenses in my backpack, and that selection basically depends on the job and the day. 16-35mm is usually in but not always.
I can always use 35mm in crop mode and still get a 22mp 52.5mm image.

I've had a couple of hour sessions at the local RC model boat club to practice on not easy subjects so fast erratic small glossy dim weather and no contrast but i am pleased with the results at this stage but one thing i'd like to know is there a way to manually lock the tracking on the subject instead of waiting for it to lock on given the conditions.
A1 setup using AF Tracking on shutter release any tips and criticism welcomed.

kwpmbc 19-11-23-34 by Ben Cheneler, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've had a couple of hour sessions at the local RC model boat club to practice on not easy subjects so fast erratic small glossy dim weather and no contrast but i am pleased with the results at this stage but one thing i'd like to know is there a way to manually lock the tracking on the subject instead of waiting for it to lock on given the conditions.
A1 setup using AF Tracking on shutter release any tips and criticism welcomed.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pgGVwY]kwpmbc 19-11-23-34 by Ben Cheneler, on Flickr[/URL]
I don't know what you mean but manually locking tracking on as tracking is obviously AF and not manual?

If you mean you're using wide focus and letting the camera choose the subject then you can use single point tracking and it will immediately lock on to whatever the AF point's on.

I can imagine they’re tricky to track. Very difficult for a camera to pick up against the water, pretty impressive that it finds it at all.
This is what i have been using trying with face/ eye detect on and off.
s_focusarea_lock_w.png
s_focusarea_lock_z.png
s_focusarea_lock_c.png
s_focusarea_lock_f_m.png
s_focusarea_lock_fext.png
Tracking:This setting is available only when the focus mode is set to [Continuous AF]. When the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down, the product tracks the subject within the selected autofocus area. Point the cursor at [Tracking] on the [
cE61E.png
Focus Area] setting screen, and then select the desired area to start tracking using the left/right sides of the control wheel. You can also move the tracking start area to the desired point by designating the area as a [Tracking: Zone], [Tracking: Spot S]/[Tracking: Spot M]/[Tracking: Spot L] or [Tracking: Expand Spot].

I've found some good samples of the 17-50mm f4, some can be downloaded at 60mp such as this
View: https://flickr.com/photos/145268771@N04/53284409274/in/album-72177720312046825/

The test charts here are confusing, they're labelled as the 17-50mm yet the exif says 40mm f1.5G

Edit: just found this, must be where the charts are from. The corners aren't great, but they're not too bad at f8 imo. The real world shot above looks acceptable to me too.

Last edited:
This is what i have been using trying with face/ eye detect on and off.
s_focusarea_lock_w.png
s_focusarea_lock_z.png
s_focusarea_lock_c.png
s_focusarea_lock_f_m.png
s_focusarea_lock_fext.png
Tracking:This setting is available only when the focus mode is set to [Continuous AF]. When the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down, the product tracks the subject within the selected autofocus area. Point the cursor at [Tracking] on the [
cE61E.png
Focus Area] setting screen, and then select the desired area to start tracking using the left/right sides of the control wheel. You can also move the tracking start area to the desired point by designating the area as a [Tracking: Zone], [Tracking: Spot S]/[Tracking: Spot M]/[Tracking: Spot L] or [Tracking: Expand Spot].
I'd probably use tracking zone (set to the central zone), if that wasn't quick enough I'd see if I could nail it with single point tracking (spot).

I've found some good samples of the 17-50mm f4, some can be downloaded at 60mp such as this
View: https://flickr.com/photos/145268771@N04/53284409274/in/album-72177720312046825/

The test charts here are confusing, they're labelled as the 17-50mm yet the exif says 40mm f1.5G

Edit: just found this, must be where the charts are from. The corners aren't great, but they're not too bad at f8 imo. The real world shot above looks acceptable to me too.

Friendly neighborhood CF has a review out today
View: https://youtu.be/6t9-pMw0tcg?si=6MUfKoOLWeOUTmCL

I'm definitely sticking with the 20-70mm now.

I wouldn't pay more than £250 for such performance and only f4 max aperture. It will be just acceptable for 6K A7III. It is an absolute waste of 8K, let alone 60MP sensor.
Reminds me of the canon 17-40mm but in a slightly smaller package. Though tamron might be better at f8-11 throughout the range.

It's probably still a very useful lens for vlogging and content creators. They mostly shoot at 2k or 4k anyway.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the canon 17-40mm but in a slightly smaller package. Though tamron might be better at f8-11 throughout the range.

It's probably still a very useful lens for vlogging and content creators. They mostly shoot at 2k or 4k anyway.
It probably is a little better than 17-40. That was a truly shocking optic. Maybe if you had perfectly centered copy but I am pretty sure there weren't many of those around :LOL:

It will be fine as a 4K video and vlog lens. Why wouldn't you get 20-40 /2.8 or that 20-70 f4 instead is well and truly beyond me but they are obviously free to market it and sell it at the expense of their brand image. For a little while it looked like Tamron was getting into quality glass with the excellent 35mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm G2 was very decent as well but I have no first hand experience of it to confirm. In some way shape or form the new line is a downgrade.

Well it has been a long time since I posted to this website (loss of Talk photography mobile app I think). I have just purchased the Sony 70-200mm f4 G Macro OSS II lens for a trip to Argentina next week, I initially purchased this because of the weight saving and thinking I couldn’t stretch to the f2.8. However a timely bonus has just come in this month’s pay and now has me thinking should I return the f4 and pick up the f2.8 after all. What would you do in my shoes? Ps. I’m still only a hobbyist..

Well it has been a long time since I posted to this website (loss of Talk photography mobile app I think). I have just purchased the Sony 70-200mm f4 G Macro OSS II lens for a trip to Argentina next week, I initially purchased this because of the weight saving and thinking I couldn’t stretch to the f2.8. However a timely bonus has just come in this month’s pay and now has me thinking should I return the f4 and pick up the f2.8 after all. What would you do in my shoes? Ps. I’m still only a hobbyist..
O Boy !! I’d definitely get the 2.8. Having the funds now after initially settling for the f4 would nag at me

Obviously get the mk2

Well this depends, the f2.8 GM II is the better lens optically, it’s an internal zoom and of course it’s a stop brighter but the f4 macro is still very sharp, lighter and of course has the “macro” function if that’s important to you.

I’d personally have the f2.8 GM II ;)

Friendly neighborhood CF has a review out today
View: https://youtu.be/6t9-pMw0tcg?si=6MUfKoOLWeOUTmCL

I'm definitely sticking with the 20-70mm now.
Doesn't look great wide open, but I'd mainly use it at f8-11 which look really good. Centre at 50mm f4 looks disappointing though. I'm not going to rush to make a decision, I've managed with the 16-35mm and 24-70mm well enough.

This looks good though ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWHU1VisNRI&ab_channel=ChristopherFrost

I'm not sure why this has had so much bashing, apart from 35mm f4 it performs very well imo. I'm not sure if I've ever used mine wider than f8 :thinking:

Last edited:
Doesn't look great wide open, but I'd mainly use it at f8-11 which look really good. Centre at 50mm f4 looks disappointing though. I'm not going to rush to make a decision, I've managed with the 16-35mm and 24-70mm well enough.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWHU1VisNRI&ab_channel=ChristopherFrost

I'm not sure why this has had so much bashing, apart from 35mm f4 it performs very well imo. I'm not sure if I've ever used mine wider than f8 :thinking:
I recently purchased the 16-35PZ
Have to admit that I haven't used it much but happy with the results so far ;)

I recently purchased the 16-35PZ
Have to admit that I haven't used it much but happy with the results so far ;)
It's the power zoom that puts me off that one.

Personally I bought the 70-200mm f4 G2 for travel. IMO it's more versatile than the GM especially for traveling with.
Overall smaller, lighter, still takes 1.4x, has a brilliant macro feature.

I personally don't buy lenses that can't be used at the widest aperture. I rather they just make sharp. cheaper, smaller, lighter f8 lens then. I am paying for carrying the bulk of a f4 lens, I want it to be good at f4. and I am only expecting "good", which is basically one level above soft/mush.

Don't think I've ever used the power zoom to be honest
It's only power zoom so unless you've only ever used it at one focal length you've used the power zoom ;)

The optically best lens I have is the Voigtlander 50mm f2 but these days I think I'm caring less about performance across the frame and into the corners and more about what lens I want to use and why. The Pergear 35mm f1.4 is a lens with both a few positives and a rather long list of potential weaknesses and although I've used it a lot since I've got it I do see that it's weaknesses are there to be seen if you look.

A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4, todays walk home.

DSC03670.JPG

DSC03672.JPG

Last edited:
One last one.

The white memorial caught my eye and made me think about the balance between grief and love at these times (my mother died a couple of months ago and I'm going through hell with my sister.)

It's at f1.4 and I haven't done too much to lessen the Pergears weaknesses.

DSC03671.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for barging in. I had my amazon Black Friday A7ii (€ 669) delivered yesterday. My A7 is almost 10 years now, and it has aged (like most of us do). It never let me down, but recently it would not switch on unless I reinserted the battery. Something to do with the contacts of battery or camera. I did not buy the A7iii (€ 1500) because of lack of communality with my other SONYs (battery, charger) and because I have A7R2s for higher res. So, I have the A7, A7ii and two A7R2 (and NEX-3, -5, -6 from the early days) now... ---

My new SONY :

DSC06294-a7-5-c.jpg

Life just got a little bit better. I had been having issues with a couple of my Godox flashes not being able to shoot TTL. Not being sure of the cause, and ruling out the cameras as another flash worked perfectly, I bought a new foot to try. Not just a new foot but the upgraded one that has a metal base. For anyone that has an A1 this stops quite a bit of swearing when you are trying to wrestle a speedlight on to the hot shoe. My V1 now works well in TTL and is a huge deal easier to mount on the flash. I'll be ordering up replacements for my v860 ii and iii and just a pity you cannot get the new foot for the Pro 1 transmitters. For 13 quid possibly the best value for money purchase I have made for a while

Last edited:
but I'd mainly use it at f8-11 which look really good
Actually no it doesn't, not even close, and f11 is diffraction limited giving you at most 24mp effective resolution.
Like I said a total waste on cameras with 8k or denser sensor

I personally don't buy lenses that can't be used at the widest aperture. I rather they just make sharp. cheaper, smaller, lighter f8 lens then. I am paying for carrying the bulk of a f4 lens, I want it to be good at f4. and I am only expecting "good", which is basically one level above soft/mush.
This. Everything now comes with very premium price so you are definitely right to want headline performance out of it

You may as well have the best one. There is no way f4 lens is worth £1400; add another 600 and you get lots more performance.
F4 one may eventually become a great used option but for now the early adopter premium on it is personally impossible to swallow given its performance

Hi, sorry for barging in. I had my amazon Black Friday A7ii (€ 669) delivered yesterday. My A7 is almost 10 years now, and it has aged (like most of us do). It never let me down, but recently it would not switch on unless I reinserted the battery. Something to do with the contacts of battery or camera. I did not buy the A7iii (€ 1500) because of lack of communality with my other SONYs (battery, charger) and because I have A7R2s for higher res. So, I have the A7, A7ii and two A7R2 (and NEX-3, -5, -6 from the early days) now... ---

It's a shame to see another A7 being retired. Mine is thankfully still going and is now over 10 years old.

Hope you are happy with your new MKII :D

It's a shame to see another A7 being retired. Mine is thankfully still going and is now over 10 years old.

Hope you are happy with your new MKII :D

Hi, I still use the A7 as my daily walker. The A7ii will be on stand-by, and used when I have to rely on my tool.

I am still undecided on the 17-50 f4, had a play about with it lunch time. six pictures, two at each of @17mm, @28mm & 50mm and F4 and F8 at each.

I also have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and I am wondering in that is a better lens to keep and put the £750 from the 17-50 towards something else.
I have another 15 days to return the 17-50.

Edit - I am actuallly wondering if I should the return the A7 ii to WEX, I have just realised I have still have about 15 days in which I could do this. I could
come out of this pretty much finacially unscathed and re evaluate my photography needs over winter.

Last edited:
So I registered my Sony 70-200mm f4 G2 for the extended 2 years warranty. Sony sent me 3 caskback vouchers codes for £100 each on new lenses.
As far as I know these are only given with new bodies which I did get with my A7IV (and all used up too now).

Feels like a bug in the system somewhere... not sure if I should try using these codes...?? :thinking:

So I registered my Sony 70-200mm f4 G2 for the extended 2 years warranty. Sony sent me 3 caskback vouchers codes for £100 each on new lenses.
As far as I know these are only given with new bodies which I did get with my A7IV (and all used up too now).

Feels like a bug in the system somewhere... not sure if I should try using these codes...?? :thinking:

Do it....

Seriously???
Don't know where you get your info from but I can assure you, you can manually zoom without using the power zoom switch ;)
The zoom ring is also a power zoom so you can use either or, but neither are your traditional zoom or fly by wire zoom. It's a credit to Sony that it's had you fooled though ;)

Actually no it doesn't, not even close, and f11 is diffraction limited giving you at most 24mp effective resolution.
Like I said a total waste on cameras with 8k or denser sensor
Real world examples look good to me. Clearly not the best performer but look perfectly acceptable to me.

It'd be rude not to try ;) That being said, if they're to be used on the Sony site they'll still cost more than anywhere else unless you can use all three on one lens ;)

It'd be rude not to try ;) That being said, if they're to be used on the Sony site they'll still cost more than anywhere else unless you can use all three on one lens ;)
It can be used with any recognised seller and can be stacked with the spring/winter cashbacks that runs at various times of the year. Add that to the 10% off that shows up for the odd week here and there and you can basically get lenses cheaper than grey prices.
One code per lens only. So for example I can't even buy two copies of the same lens and use different two codes on them.

Back