The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
I like both, sometimes I want an accurate record but sometimes I want more aesthetically pleasing. Depends what I'm shooting and what mood I'm in ;)

I think I'm ok with artistic interpretation as long as it doesn't goo too far :D

As trying to talk to Pergear was a waste of time my 35mm f1.4 is going back to the seller on Amazon. As soon as I get the refund I'll buy another and see if it's the same. If its f stops are anywhere near accurate I'll be very pleased but if not I'll keep it anyway as it's really only an issue in very low light / night time shooting so it'll be fine for anything like reasonable light.

Just testing out the K&F diffusion filter (left) I forgot that I bought a while back, appears to give a nice effect without being OTT. I'll have to try it out on some proper photos.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 14.09.00.jpg

Has the pound dropped again? The 20-70mm was £809 at Cotswolds yesterday but it’s at £999 today :eek:

Seriously impressed with the A6700 auto focus, now got me thinking about an A1
The A1's a serious bit of kit, but it's expensive and depending on which lenses you have for the A6700 could mean needing to buy a whole new range of lenses.

Seriously impressed with the A6700 auto focus, now got me thinking about an A1
Do you have the 70-350mm?
works incredibly well.

A1 obviously will have better tracking because of the stacked sensor and blackout free shooting.

Just updated my 200-600mm with the new 03 firmware. Update went fine and was quick if anyone wants to do theirs.

works incredibly well.

A1 obviously will have better tracking because of the stacked sensor and blackout free shooting.
Have you tried the Tamron 70-300mm, I was wondering if it's decent enough to use as a lightweight travel telephoto as it's only 545g

haha.

It's still on my camera but a Voigtlander is calling me :D
As you would not let me take care of your one for you, I have been keeping an eye on WEX and MPB in particular for an FE 35mm/1.8

Wex had an open box return for £430 for the last few days and I just happened to notice they were offering 20% off it today.

So well happy at £343 for an almost new one

Have you tried the Tamron 70-300mm, I was wondering if it's decent enough to use as a lightweight travel telephoto as it's only 545g
Yep it's quite good.
I switched from the Sony 70-350mm to the tamron 70-300mm to Sony 70-200mm f4 G2.
Tamron is the least sharp one of the three. Not saying it's bad by any means, Sony lenses are just on another level IMO.
Also subject detection and tracking on tamron wasn't as good as Sonys

As you would not let me take care of your one for you, I have been keeping an eye on WEX and MPB in particular for an FE 35mm/1.8

Wex had an open box return for £430 for the last few days and I just happened to notice they were offering 20% off it today.

So well happy at £343 for an almost new one

Give it a check over when it arrives for sharpness, decentering etc Just in case that was the reason it was returned.

Give it a check over when it arrives for sharpness, decentering etc Just in case that was the reason it was returned.
That's surprising I thought Sony lenses were pretty good in this regard :oops: :$

Yep it's quite good.
I switched from the Sony 70-350mm to the tamron 70-300mm to Sony 70-200mm f4 G2.
Tamron is the least sharp one of the three. Not saying it's bad by any means, Sony lenses are just on another level IMO.
Also subject detection and tracking on tamron wasn't as good as Sonys
Thanks, I'm not wanting to spend a lot or havine something heavy. I could use the 70-350mm but 105mm eq at the shot end may be a touch to narrow.

I think they probably are. But if I were buying a lens that had been returned, without knowing why it had been returned, I'd be giving it a full check over
That's a very good point (y)
I'm hoping for a good firmware up in the spring.
I don't think it's anything sparkling looking at the info from the conference, I think there was focus bracketing and then a couple of other minor bits so I wouldn't get you rhopes up if I were you :(

Spent the other morning in the company of a few local Short Eared Owls.
Shooting with the a1 + 200-600 I managed over 1500 shots with just the 1 battery.
Don't know how that happened as I have never been impressed with the battery life with the a1 in the past :thinking:
Bursts take less battery than taking the same number of individual shots fme.

That's a very good point (y)

I don't think it's anything sparkling looking at the info from the conference, I think there was focus bracketing and then a couple of other minor bits so I wouldn't get you rhopes up if I were you :(
I played with a Z9 and the new 180-600mm lens. Coming from Nikon it was quite nice. So I need something in the firmware to stop me giving my wallet a heart attack.

I played with a Z9 and the new 180-600mm lens. Coming from Nikon it was quite nice. So I need something in the firmware to stop me giving my wallet a heart attack.
The A1 already does all I need it to so I’m not too bothered about the update in all honesty. I guess a dog specific eye AF rather than just “animal” would be nice.

Thanks, I'm not wanting to spend a lot or havine something heavy. I could use the 70-350mm but 105mm eq at the shot end may be a touch to narrow.
Same here but the added macro capabilities swung it for me on the new 70-200mm.

Honestly if Sony had a 40mp APS-C body like Fuji or even 32mp like canon, I'd seriously consider it just for the 70-350mm. A6700 is no better than A7cr in crop mode and worst than A7Rv in crop mode.
What's the point of buying APS-C!

Same here but the added macro capabilities swung it for me on the new 70-200mm.

Honestly if Sony had a 40mp APS-C body like Fuji or even 32mp like canon, I'd seriously consider it just for the 70-350mm. A6700 is no better than A7cr in crop mode and worst than A7Rv in crop mode.
What's the point of buying APS-C!
A6700 £1375
A7cR £2799
A7Rv £3869

Looks like there's between 1424 and 2494 reasons to buy APS-C!
Since the 70-350 is £649, the A6700 + 70-350 is cheaper than the A7cR body only - one's a usable camera, the other a paperweight until you spend more.

works incredibly well.

Yes I do and very impressed with its quality, perfect walk about, around 1kg for both body and lens is amazing really

A6700 £1375
A7cR £2799
A7Rv £3869

Since the 70-350 is £649, the A6700 + 70-350 is cheaper than the A7cR body only - one's a usable camera, the other a paperweight until you spend more.
The 70-350 was down to £549 on Amazon the other week too, considering the quality of the image and the light weight of it that is a bargain

A6700 £1375
A7cR £2799
A7Rv £3869

Thanks but I already own FF.
No reason for me to buy APS-C

Last edited:
The best walkabout kit I've had was the a6600, 16-55 and 70-350.
I sometimes wish I still had it.
When I retired, my family chipped in and bought me an a7c kit.
I didn't want to appear ungrateful so I sold the a6600 setup.
I sometimes regret selling my Olympus gear, The EM1-II, 12.40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm f4-5.6 R giving me a 24-300mm focal range weighing just 1146g.

Back