The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It is, I can only find them around the £400 mark?
I saw one for under £300 but it’s not there anymore, I don’t know what the condition was though in all honesty.

Very poor in autofocus is very subjective, I suspect it beats hands down many lenses that yesteryear had ‘excellent’ autofocus. At least you’ve read a review though now so you can actually post an opinion :thumb:

It’s a free country bro you don’t get to decide if someone has an opinion or not.

I didn’t need to read reviews to know it’s a bit crap as I already said I know a couple of people that have owned the lens.

There is nothing subjective about the reviewer checking to see if the lens was mounted correctly as a.f is so bad.That is a pretty strong indicator that it’s a bit crap.

Last edited:
How about the Sigma 70mm 2.8 macro @ £329
Very sharp lens with truly horrific AF.
There is quite a lot of focus breathing in the macro range, way more than canon 100mm l.

The clickless aperture puts me off. I've never had a clickless one other than the selectable ones on Voigtlanders and I never tried that option with those lenses so I don't know how much it'd irritate me, enough not to try it though.

Using the 55mm f1.8, I do think it's a good lens and the dreaded fringing isn't in every shot but I do find that I like using manual lenses more except when the speed of AF is needed. With lenses with an aperture ring though there is the ability to make them much more MF lens like both in build and use... if anyone would bother.

Last edited:
Brand new A7RV, used once yesterday and looks like a pin has snapped off the lens contact unit. The camera no longer recognises any lenses. I'm pragmatic about it, been using Sony Alpha's for a long time now and its the first issue I've had.
I thought I'd give an update on getting my A7RV repaired...
Efinity emailed to say I can have it repaired at a local repair shop. I pre-empted any issues on sourcing the part, and purchased one on eBay that was sourced from California. This cost me £114 but turned out to be prescient as Sony UK didn't have one in stock and no idea how long I'd have had to wait. The company was making a killing as the lens contact module cost only £18 from Sony UK, if they'd had it in stock.
The camera was repaired by premier electronic services in Chesterfield and cost £250 labour; I'm told it was a complex repair which took 4.5 hours.
Sent the invoices to Efinity this week totalling £364.00 and they emailed for my PayPal details to transfer the money into my account.

The clickless aperture puts me off. I've never had a clickless one other than the selectable ones on Voigtlanders and I never tried that option with those lenses so I don't know how much it'd irritate me, enough not to try it though.

Using the 55mm f1.8, I do think it's a good lens and the dreaded fringing isn't in every shot but I do find that I like using manual lenses more except when the speed of AF is needed. With lenses with an aperture ring though there is the ability to make them much more MF lens like both in build and use... if anyone would bother.

It might be different if I still used a camera with only one wheel, but with modern lenses that have an aperture ring I normally do aperture selection through the body, not lens. I'd never notice the click or otherwise.

I thought I'd give an update on getting my A7RV repaired...
Efinity emailed to say I can have it repaired at a local repair shop. I pre-empted any issues on sourcing the part, and purchased one on eBay that was sourced from California. This cost me £114 but turned out to be prescient as Sony UK didn't have one in stock and no idea how long I'd have had to wait. The company was making a killing as the lens contact module cost only £18 from Sony UK, if they'd had it in stock.
The camera was repaired by premier electronic services in Chesterfield and cost £250 labour; I'm told it was a complex repair which took 4.5 hours.
Sent the invoices to Efinity this week totalling £364.00 and they emailed for my PayPal details to transfer the money into my account.
Glad you got it sorted and it sounds like good service from e-infinity (y)

I didn’t even know we have a camera repair shop in Chesterfield :thinking: :eek::ROFLMAO:

Got a chance to have a proper mess around with the Samyang 75mm this morning,

I am actually pretty happy with this one, will take a bit of getting used losing 10mm compared to an 85, but auto focus is spot on once I updated to the newest firmware, seems to be keeping up with the pup running around the garden anyway. It actually renders pretty nice, and colours are pleasing enough. Size wise it's perfect for the A7CII.

Last edited:
It might be different if I still used a camera with only one wheel, but with modern lenses that have an aperture ring I normally do aperture selection through the body, not lens. I'd never notice the click or otherwise.

That's a perfectly good way to use them but you lose the manual lens feel doing it that way.

Got a chance to have a proper mess around with the Samyang 75mm this morning,

I am actually pretty happy with this one, will take a bit of getting used losing 10mm compared to an 85, but auto focus is spot on once I updated to the newest firmware, seems to be keeping up with the pup running around the garden anyway. It actually renders pretty nice, and colours are pleasing enough. Size wise it's perfect for the A7CII.

How does it compare to the Sony 85 f1.8? Any reason you’d use this over the 85, considering the 85 is pretty small and snappy.

How does it compare to the Sony 85 f1.8? Any reason you’d use this over the 85, considering the 85 is pretty small and snappy.

I have had a few of the Sony 85 f/1.8’s. A.F speed is similar on both. The 85f/1.8 has very messy bokeh for me and while I liked it’s fast a.f speed I never loved the images it produced. I think the Samyang rendering is slightly better. Colours on the 85 are very cold. Colours on the 75 are probably the best I have seen using Samyang, more like the Sigma 85 art colours which I like. Just my personal opinion though, the 85 is a great lens for the money.

The 85 f/1.8 has a lot of C.A, the Samyang seems to have less especially backlit.

The Samyang is a lot smaller than the 85 which was the reason I went for it to be fair, it’s just a better match with the A7CII for me than the 85 would be. I want to keep my hobby kit as small as possible or I might as well just use my work kit.

The 85 f/1.8 would be sharper in the corners and I think the Samyang on a larger body wouldn’t feel as nice to use. I would prob prefer the 85 on anything bigger than the A7CII. Plus I have been lucky with recent Samyang purchases and not had any of the usual quality control issues. I fully expected to have to return and replace to get a good copy with all 3 of my recent Samyang purchases but they have all been grand.

If this had of been for work and it was choice between the 2 I would probably have went with the 85 f/1.8. To be fair I wouldn’t have bought an A7CII for work either.

Last edited:
I have had a few of the Sony 85 f/1.8’s. A.F speed is similar on both. The 85f/1.8 has very messy bokeh for me and while I liked it’s fast a.f speed I never loved the images it produced. I think the Samyang rendering is slightly better. Colours on the 85 are very cold. Colours on the 75 are probably the best I have seen using Samyang, more like the Sigma 85 art colours which I like. Just my personal opinion though, the 85 is a great lens for the money.

The 85 f/1.8 has a lot of C.A, the Samyang seems to have less especially backlit.

The Samyang is a lot smaller than the 85 which was the reason I went for it to be fair, it’s just a better match with the A7CII for me than the 85 would be. I want to keep my hobby kit as small as possible or I might as well just use my work kit.

The 85 f/1.8 would be sharper in the corners and I think the Samyang on a larger body wouldn’t feel as nice to use. I would prob prefer the 85 on anything bigger than the A7CII. Plus I have been lucky with recent Samyang purchases and not had any of the usual quality control issues. I fully expected to have to return and replace to get a good copy with all 3 of my recent Samyang purchases but they have all been grand.

If this had of been for work and it was choice between the 2 I would probably have went with the 85 f/1.8. To be fair I wouldn’t have bought an A7CII for work either.

Sounds like the Samyangs are working out well for what you want them for :)

For me the FE85 is more suited with what I want & my other lenses.

Glad you got it sorted and it sounds like good service from e-infinity (y)

I didn’t even know we have a camera repair shop in Chesterfield :thinking: :eek::ROFLMAO:
Well, I've not had the refund yet, but they're making all the right noises.
Yes, it's a pokey little place, looks like a junk shop and doesn't inspire confidence but he seems to know what he's doing.

Sounds like the Samyangs are working out well for what you want them for :)

For me the FE85 is more suited with what I want & my other lenses.

Surprisingly they are :).

It’s been a bit of a journey really. :ROFLMAO:

I initially was going to use my A7RVIa along with my 135G.M and 24G.M as that is the gear I use the least for work. A couple of trips out though and I was finding the 135 to be too long a lot of the time although it’s an amazing lens. So I switched it out for my 85G.M. I found that it struggled to keep pace with the pup so I bought the Siggy 85 f/1.4. It kept up with pup a bit better but I found out quickly that I was more reluctant to take it out with me being a larger set up.

I then got a 12-24G.M for work so that left me with the 85 G.M and a Tamron 16-28 I didn’t need. So I swapped them with another photographer for an Olympus set up thinking if I had something smaller I would be more likely to cart around with me. Quickly realised I wasn’t gonna gel with the Olympus set up so traded it into W.E.X for the A7CII. The Samyang lenses made the most sense just because of their small size. I can carry the A7CII with one lens and not feel like I am carrying a camera around at all. The other two Samyangs fit in my coat pockets.

There are a lot of disadvantages of course the A7CIi is missing a lot of stuff I take for granted with my work stuff like the joystick for example and obviously my work glass is much better. The small set up though allows me to get photos I wouldn’t otherwise get as my gear would be left at home.

Well, I've not had the refund yet, but they're making all the right noises.
Yes, it's a pokey little place, looks like a junk shop and doesn't inspire confidence but he seems to know what he's doing.
I’ve googled it and it’s actually in Bolsover (still classed as a district of Chesterfield), I don’t know that area very well other than the Castle.

Good to know it’s there though if I have any issues with my gear (y)

Looks very good actually for the intended purpose. D6 is actually worst to keep this in context.
Wouldn't buy it for shooting landscapes ;)
Nope, still some way off the A1, which is not as good as the top Sonys.

IMG_7411.jpeg

Not sure it'll ever reach it but they have made a clear distinction between the two now. A1 series I guess will be the "do-it-all" type body and A9 series leading edge for sports.
It’s their first go at it so I expect it will get better (y)

Last edited:
Questions:
Whilst using the 7rm5 over the weekend, I tried to half press and hold the exposure on the sky clouds, then move to recompose on some buildings.
The exposure changed to the buildings, blowing the sky.
Where can I find the settings on the menu to change this behavior?

Secondly:
There is some ai settings to focus and track people/birds and assist in focus on eyes (for example).
Does it only work in particular settings ?

Questions:
Whilst using the 7rm5 over the weekend, I tried to half press and hold the exposure on the sky clouds, then move to recompose on some buildings.
The exposure changed to the buildings, blowing the sky.
Where can I find the settings on the menu to change this behavior?

Secondly:
There is some ai settings to focus and track people/birds and assist in focus on eyes (for example).
Does it only work in particular settings ?
This is from the A1 manual but I assume it’s the same.
IMG_7412.jpeg

Your other options are AEL lock or exp comp.

I can’t help with the AI as I don’t have it.

Last edited:
Back