The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I’m
My Crumpler Geekstar fits…

A73 with 35 GM
A73 with 85GM
24GM
50GM
2 x Godox flashes.
Batteries.

I can’t think of a better bag for shooting weddings. There is no frailing in any of the fabric and I’ve had it since my first wedding in 2007/8?
Just loaded up our bags for tomorrows wedding.

In mine I have:

2 x A9’s
1 x A7RIVa

35 G.M
50 G.M
90 Macro
12-24 G.M

2x Godox V860III
Xpro trigger

3 x Peak Design Slides

1 x Video light

Cleaning kit - Lens pens, rocket blower, cleaning cloth.

Table top tripod I sometimes use for macro.

4 x Spare batteries

The missus has:

3 x A7IV

35mm f/1.8
24 G.M
24-70 G.MII
Sigma 85 art

2 x Godox V1
Xpro trigger

1 x Video light

Same cleaning kit

4 x Spare batteries

Holdfast Moneymaker

We both could easy squeeze more in.

In my old faithful Lowepro which nowadays lives in the car. I have all my proper OCF stuff and the 135G.M and a Tamron 70-180 which we never use they are there just in case.

Last edited:
Well that's a pretty pathetic firmware update for the A1. After all this time, that's it, not even focus bracketing. Have to say the A1 has been the most disappointing camera I have had :(
Wow that’s a big shout, in what way is the A1 disappointing? :eek:

I’m

Just loaded up our bags for tomorrows wedding.

In mine I have:

2 x A9’s
1 x A7RIVa

35 G.M
50 G.M
90 Macro
12-24 G.M

2x Godox V860III
Xpro trigger

3 x Peak Design Slides

1 x Video light

Cleaning kit - Lens pens, rocket blower, cleaning cloth.

Table top tripod I sometimes use for macro.

4 x Spare batteries

The missus has:

3 x A7IV

35mm f/1.8
24 G.M
24-70 G.MII
Sigma 85 art

2 x Godox V1
Xpro trigger

1 x Video light

Same cleaning kit

4 x Spare batteries

Holdfast Moneymaker

We both could easy squeeze more in.

In my old faithful Lowepro which nowadays lives in the car. I have all my proper OCF stuff and the 135G.M and a Tamron 70-180 which we never use they are there just in case.

It's only a suggestion, but maybe we could swap bags & contents? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This is the bag I bought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078GMSP6J?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I paid less for it that that though. And I bought it mainly for the X100f and the film camera or drink etc just on walks or days out where photography isn't the main activity!

The one thing I'm not keen on, is that it isn't a buckle & is just a simple magnetic catch which obviously is easy to open! I just tend to wear it at the front or side rather than behind me.

This is the bag I bought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078GMSP6J?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I paid less for it that that though. And I bought it mainly for the X100f and the film camera or drink etc just on walks or days out where photography isn't the main activity!

The one thing I'm not keen on, is that it isn't a buckle & is just a simple magnetic catch which obviously is easy to open! I just tend to wear it at the front or side rather than behind me.

Thats a cool looking wee bag.

Some firmware updates that will be useful to me. Having more than 4000 files in a folder I have wanted for a while. What a stupid restriction that is and why is 9999 the highest file number(not only Sony). I haven't tried the new Creators Cloud app it can't be worse than what it replaces. Relay playback will be useful. It sounds like I will be able to send via FTP and it will allow me to automatically protect that image. Very useful but ridiculous it wasn't there previously. Scheduling FTP sending could be useful depending on how it is implemented. Custom grid lines may be useful for things like school photography where the ability to have kids all lined up in the same spot on the frame means you can crop once and apply it to other images. I won't pay for it though so masking tape will still be the order of the day.

I'll wait until I update to see if I like the new menu but I suppose it is too late at that point if I don't. Utter pain that you have to input all your settings and that is doubly so if you have quite a few FTP settings, copyright details etc. but at least I get double my money as I can transfer the settings to the second A1 and it is touch screen which helps. Hopefully, the creator app can help with this too.

All in all it would amaze me if these are the features most owners wanted. They would be miles down my list. Still it is already a cracking camera and has just got better. If there is another firmware update you can do it by memory card too so that is a bonus too. I think teh relative flop of the A9 iii made it unlikely that any of its features that could potentially have been included would have been withdrawn and hopefully it isn't a sign that they will use firmware to differentiate the A1 from the A1 ii and we end up with an upgrade similar to the A9 to A9ii . It could have been so much better and Sony continues to be the worst brand in terms of stills features. However, I would argue it is still teh best camera and it is a better update than I expected. Oh its free too and that makes it very welcome.

Wow that’s a big shout, in what way is the A1 disappointing? :eek:

I’ve always been disappointed with lack of eye af in video, I was pretty sure they’d add that and focus bracketing in this update. Theres also some annoying af issues where it will focus on a foreground and not the animal (Steve Perry did a video on it). Also the error messages you get when the contacts in the hotshoe get even slightly wet (known issue/poor design) which can completely ruin a shoot. Nick page was at the photography show and is now with canon (used to be Sony A1), someone asked him at his talk if there was anything he missed about Sony, he said “well I don’t miss the error messages that stopped me shooting when the camera barely got wet”.

I think just in general and considering how much it cost on release it’s been disappointing. To wait this long for such a poor update… I know they never promised specific things but people assumed certain things would be added. Compare this to what Nikon have been able to add/do with their updates to the z8/z9 :(

I’ve always been disappointed with lack of eye af in video, I was pretty sure they’d add that and focus bracketing in this update. Theres also some annoying af issues where it will focus on a foreground and not the animal (Steve Perry did a video on it). Also the error messages you get when the contacts in the hotshoe get even slightly wet (known issue/poor design) which can completely ruin a shoot. Nick page was at the photography show and is now with canon (used to be Sony A1), someone asked him at his talk if there was anything he missed about Sony, he said “well I don’t miss the error messages that stopped me shooting when the camera barely got wet”.

I think just in general and considering how much it cost on release it’s been disappointing. To wait this long for such a poor update… I know they never promised specific things but people assumed certain things would be added. Compare this to what Nikon have been able to add/do with their updates to the z8/z9 :(
Fair enough, I’ve not encountered either of those things,….. yet ;)

Some firmware updates that will be useful to me. Having more than 4000 files in a folder I have wanted for a while. What a stupid restriction that is and why is 9999 the highest file number(not only Sony). I haven't tried the new Creators Cloud app it can't be worse than what it replaces. Relay playback will be useful. It sounds like I will be able to send via FTP and it will allow me to automatically protect that image. Very useful but ridiculous it wasn't there previously. Scheduling FTP sending could be useful depending on how it is implemented. Custom grid lines may be useful for things like school photography where the ability to have kids all lined up in the same spot on the frame means you can crop once and apply it to other images. I won't pay for it though so masking tape will still be the order of the day.

I'll wait until I update to see if I like the new menu but I suppose it is too late at that point if I don't. Utter pain that you have to input all your settings and that is doubly so if you have quite a few FTP settings, copyright details etc. but at least I get double my money as I can transfer the settings to the second A1 and it is touch screen which helps. Hopefully, the creator app can help with this too.

All in all it would amaze me if these are the features most owners wanted. They would be miles down my list. Still it is already a cracking camera and has just got better. If there is another firmware update you can do it by memory card too so that is a bonus too. I think teh relative flop of the A9 iii made it unlikely that any of its features that could potentially have been included would have been withdrawn and hopefully it isn't a sign that they will use firmware to differentiate the A1 from the A1 ii and we end up with an upgrade similar to the A9 to A9ii . It could have been so much better and Sony continues to be the worst brand in terms of stills features. However, I would argue it is still teh best camera and it is a better update than I expected. Oh it’s free too and that makes it very welcome.
As there’s nothing of any use to me in the update I might not bother for a while, a new menu as well as having to set the camera up all over again are reasons enough to stop me updating, at least for now.

I have shot in lots of bad weather and never had these issues unless I was stupid enough to not have the flash cover on. Watch how many youtubers shoot without it. If it was such an issue a wee bit gaffa tape would have sorted it in two seconds or an appropriate cover. He shoots landscapes so it isn't as if the ergonomics of teh camera would have been a great issue with a camera cover compared to sports with two camera and constantly moving compositions. .

As there’s nothing of any use to me in the update I might not bother for a while, a new menu as well as having to set the camera up all over again are reasons enough to stop me updating, at least for now.
I'm usually straight on to a firmware update. I don't like passing up free lunches as my belly proves. I'm the same as you at least for the next day or two though. I haven't got anything in the diary though for a couple of weekends(delighted with that) so it may be a good time to update and learn anything that needs learned.

I have shot in lots of bad weather and never had these issues unless I was stupid enough to not have the flash cover on. Watch how many youtubers shoot without it. If it was such an issue a wee bit gaffa tape would have sorted it in two seconds or an appropriate cover. He shoots landscapes so it isn't as if the ergonomics of teh camera would have been a great issue with a camera cover compared to sports with two camera and constantly moving compositions. .

Consider yourself lucky, everyone I know with it has encountered the problem. Im aware they recommend using the hotshoe cover to stop the issue but it doesn’t work. It happens to me with it on (I always have it on unless using the Sony mic). And it’s not a case of just wiping it and working again it takes ages to stop, usually with the help of a hairdryer. So as your suggestion you’d have to have gaffa tape on all the time, no other system I’ve used have I had to use gaffa tape to help weatherproof it.

Here's a post I made last year about it :

But that's an annoyance, it's a collection of things that had made me disappointed with it, and this so called Major Firmware update just added to that.

Last edited:
Went to download the update for A1 and it has been suspended already. Months and months to come up with a fairly modest update and they have failed to get it done correctly -
It was confirmed that some products updated to Ver.2.00 may not be able to connect to the network.
Due to this issue, we have suspended the update. (March 29, 2024)

Went to download the update for A1 and it has been suspended already. Months and months to come up with a fairly modest update and they have failed to get it done correctly -
It was confirmed that some products updated to Ver.2.00 may not be able to connect to the network.
Brilliant :ROFLMAO:

One user reporting it’s not recognising lenses when used in aperture priority, mainly those with an aperture ring :runaway:

The A7Siii update is pretty good, it feels like a different camera with revised menu more like newer Sony style and also swipe on screen brings up useful icons both sides is this unique?
Seems quite useful if you remember its there, could do with it on A7iv too.
The only real technical improvement is focus breathing compensation which can be annoying but only applies to certain lenses.
If you have one and are planning to do it allow plenty of time as it completely resets the camera and you can't load customisations back in from saved version on card, the changes are too drastic.

The A7Siii update is pretty good, it feels like a different camera with revised menu more like newer Sony style and also swipe on screen brings up useful icons both sides is this unique?
Seems quite useful if you remember its there, could do with it on A7iv too.
The only real technical improvement is focus breathing compensation which can be annoying but only applies to certain lenses.
If you have one and are planning to do it allow plenty of time as it completely resets the camera and you can't load customisations back in from saved version on card, the changes are too drastic.
I’ve never been aware of focus breathing with any of my lenses, obviously I’ve not tested for it either. The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII is supposedly horrendous for it, but again I never noticed :oops: :$

I’ve never been aware of focus breathing with any of my lenses, obviously I’ve not tested for it either. The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII is supposedly horrendous for it, but again I never noticed :oops: :$
It's worse in video, you can stop it by flicking into manual focus.

One of the 3 bodies I updated yesterday has a Bluetooth issue. Only found it when trying to install the DCI 24 video format.

Hardly bothered though as all connections are usually switched off on the cameras

I updated my A1 yesterday - it seems to be working OK, but there appears to be a problem connecting to the new Creators App. It seems to connect, but after confirming connection to the camera by pressing 'OK' on the camera, you have to immediately use the app on your phone - it will not allow you to use the app, it's a brick.

Last edited:
Due to this issue, we have suspended the update. (March 29, 2024

That’s why I usually leave it a while before installing updates so others can be the testers.

I took my Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Color Skopar out today. I had one of these on my Bessa and always regretted selling it with the Bessa so I bought another and this one is in better condition than the one I had years ago.

A7 and that Color Skopar.

This lens is tiny and I love it but there are a few issues. There's vignetting, although it's sharp in the central area things quickly get a bit funky once you're away from that area, another issue is that as it's a rangefinder lens the minimum focus distance is a bit long for close up shots and with a close up filter fitted the range of working distance is small. Handing wise it is small and can be a bit fiddly and the aperture dial can be easily knocked. Another annoyance is that infinity isn't at the end stop, at least on my A7 via an adapter.

Lovely.

1-DSC05187.jpg

100% crop of the central area. I hope the sharpness survives the posting process,

1-DSC05187-C.jpg

The view to the left off the pier. The colour is IMO nice but it does lack a touch of contrast. You can see the issues towards the edge of the frame in the buildings on the left here.

1-DSC05198.jpg

Good Friday fish and chips.

1-DSC05207.jpg

It is a nice lens and I've wanted another for years but truth be told the optimised for Sony Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 is the better lens on my Sony for several reasons. Looking at the Color Skopar v the Pergear 35mm f1.4, apart from the Pergears aperture / transmission discrepancies I'd say it's close but the Pergear probably does shade it slightly for across frame performance. I can't really remember how the lens performed on my Bessa. I remember vignetting but in those days my prints were small so the across the frame issues were maybe hidden to a degree. Despite all this I do like the overall look and colour this Color Skopar gives.

One last one. I thought about doing a pan but didn't but luckily when we got home I spotted that a few shots were close enough to do a stitch. So I did it :D

1-Saltburn-29-03-24.jpg

Last edited:
I just had a disturbing thought... It's been quite a while since I looked for anything to buy.

Oh dear.

Anyone seriously thinking of buying anything?

Not photography related but I have been looking at cars but not an extra one, one of mine would have to go.

Last edited:
I just had a disturbing thought... It's been quite a while since I looked for anything to buy.

Oh dear.

Not photography related but I have been looking at cars but not an extra one, one of mine would have to go.
Always looking ;)

I just can't think of anything.

I've sold some very nice film era Nikon lenses so perhaps it's the money from those that's on my mind but generally I think I still have too much gear and should be selling not buying.

But buying is nice :D

I'd like a 135mm f1.8, but it probably wouldn't get used much. Also see a couple of long teles for sale in the classifieds, but likewise, I don't really do much telephoto work.

Starting to think of having a clear-out.

Having only recently moved over to Sony from m4/3s I seem to be forever researching Sony gm prime lenses, I’m just struggling to pick one. I keep coming back to the 35mm though but I’m in no rush. Hopefully by the end of the year I’ll have picked one up.

Oh dear.

Nothing for me. All I've bought for a while is the X100f from you and then a nice little messenger style bag for general walkabouts with it.

Having only recently moved over to Sony from m4/3s I seem to be forever researching Sony gm prime lenses, I’m just struggling to pick one. I keep coming back to the 35mm though but I’m in no rush. Hopefully by the end of the year I’ll have picked one up.

You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Pick a focal length.

You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Pick a focal length.
Many thanks for the reply, I’ve been a bit dubious of late thinking are they worth the extra over a standard prime but the more reviews I read and YouTube vids I watch they are appealing.
Do you have any experience with the 16-35? At the moment my widest focal length is 24 on a g zoom lens so I’m thinking this might bridge the gap and still include 35mm which I seem to be using the zoom at the most for landscapes.

Many thanks for the reply, I’ve been a bit dubious of late thinking are they worth the extra over a standard prime but the more reviews I read and YouTube vids I watch they are appealing.
Do you have any experience with the 16-35? At the moment my widest focal length is 24 on a g zoom lens so I’m thinking this might bridge the gap and still include 35mm which I seem to be using the zoom at the most for landscapes.

I haven't used a wide zoom since about 2013 when I had the Canon 17-40L sorry :)

My widest is also 24mm and that is plenty for me and how I tend to shoot!

And I don't worry about bridging gaps. I'm 24mm, 35mm, 85mm and 70-180mm :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

I have the Sony 20mm f1.8, 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2, 35mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.8 and can happily recommend them all :D

I find 20 or 24 and either 35 or 50mm a nice pairing for a day out but these days a stitch might be able to replace a wide lens, if the subject is suitable.

One from yesterday.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Color Skopar.

Mrs WW off onto the pier (that's her with the blue and white hat and backpack) to find a seat to eat fish and chips and drink coffee on. I got a Dr Pepper to go with my f&C and it was all lovely.

DSC05195.jpg

You can clearly see the poor performance away from the central area and towards the edges if you look at the pier and the people towards the left hand side bottom corner but for many pictures this wont be too much of an issue. Despite its image quality and some handling issues I do think this is still a nice and interesting lens. My old film era 35mm f2.8's do in some ways perform better than this old RF lens but even so... I like it :D

Last edited:
Here's a question for the tech savvy.

My usb lead seems to be going iffy as sometimes it wont connect to my pc and sometimes cameras wont recharge. I have lots of leads with different ends on but only this one of this type. How do I know what to buy?

There's a number beginning ECC and another beginning NB1D, are either of these a type number? The connector which goes into my A7 and some of my Panasonic cameras is flat and quite thin and quite visibly so compared to other leads I have but it isn't as long as the connector that goes into my phone.

it looks a bit like this but I can't be sure this is the right one.

Signed.
Baffled of east Cleveland.

Last edited:
Back