The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Never really understood the fascination with 24-70mm f2.8 lenses.
Its not wide enough or long enough or fast enough or small enough.

I owned a tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for a brief period, did like it but in the end found more versatile zoom options, at least it was relatively smaller and lighter.

They are generally a boring lens.

Have to say though I have had a few of them and tend to use them as a back up in case the proverbial hits the fan with other gear.

The GMII is far and away the best I have used, it is ridiculously sharp and a.f is probably the fastest of any lens I have used. It’s very good for what it is.

I only use it regularly for the dancing at weddings though tbf. Not sure why but a 24-70 is something I have always grabbed when using flash.

I got it because I felt I should have one rather than needing it really. If I wasn’t shooting for work I wouldn’t have one.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see how heavy and how expensive the 24-70mm f2 will be. I still don’t think 70mm at f2 is that great for portraits, I just think it’ll be unnecessarily big and heavy, not to mention expensive for the type of lens it is. However, I’m sure there’ll be many that feel the need to buy it.

£282 new at Wex, £349 new at Cameraworld for 320gb Lexar Professional 900mb/s (y)
But they aren't Sony and the 320gb Tough card is well over 500 quid new although I notice they are doing cashback at the moment. I like Lexar cards too so wouldn't have any issue with those. My Pergear 520gb is much have had about a quarter of a million raws taken on it in teh last year or so and it has been great. Have you got any links for those Lexar cards from asia. A Another 320gb may mean I can pretty much shoot away at any event and not have to change cards on either camera

If anyone is thinking of selling an A7R II, III or IV I’ve got a wanted ad in the sales section.

I’m tempted by the A7CR but thought I’d maybe try a larger body again.

Last edited:
But they aren't Sony and the 320gb Tough card is well over 500 quid new although I notice they are doing cashback at the moment. I like Lexar cards too so wouldn't have any issue with those. My Pergear 520gb is much have had about a quarter of a million raws taken on it in teh last year or so and it has been great. Have you got any links for those Lexar cards from asia. A Another 320gb may mean I can pretty much shoot away at any event and not have to change cards on either camera
But he's selling a Lexar card not a Sony ;)

And WEX don't have stock anyway!
Seems not, cameraworld do at £349 though which isn’t a bad price, although not in the same league as Pergear price wise.

Seems not, cameraworld do at £349 though which isn’t a bad price, although not in the same league as Pergear price wise.
I have run a few 100k worth of images through the Peargear cards now with no issues. Haven’t heard of anyone having any bother with them either. They are good value for money if you only want to buy U.K stock.

I have run a few 100k worth of images through the Peargear cards now with no issues. Haven’t heard of anyone having any bother with them either. They are good value for money if you only want to buy U.K stock.
No issue with mine either so far, the only issue I have is that my computer doesn’t have a CFExpress slot meaning I have to use a card reader which is a slight inconvenience ;)

same here using a pair of 520GB pergear cards. fast and works just fine.
my laptop (macbook air) has no card slots anyway. the pergear reader doubles up as a SD card reader too. (y)

I have the Peargear card reader as well it seems to work dead on although I have noticed it can sometimes get a bit hot with a lot of use.

I have the Peargear card reader as well it seems to work dead on although I have noticed it can sometimes get a bit hot with a lot of use.
I find a lot of storage does that, even my Sandisk portable SSD’s get quite hot when they’ve been working hard.

Any thoughts or wishes for this "epic" and "something no one dared to do before" lens?

Instead of cutting edge or never been done before lenses I'd rather see compact and light primes of acceptable quality. Perhaps even moving up the quality ladder to lenses of the bulk and quality of the Sony mount Voigtlaners, just add AF :D I know it wont happen.

Any thoughts or wishes for this "epic" and "something no one dared to do before" lens?

Instead of cutting edge or never been done before lenses I'd rather see compact and light primes of acceptable quality. Perhaps even moving up the quality ladder to lenses of the bulk and quality of the Sony mount Voigtlaners, just add AF :D I know it wont happen.
10-1000mm f1.4 pancake with sharpness to resolve at least a 100mp FF sensor perfectly corner to corner

It's just clickbait nonesense, it'll probably be underwhelming. The SAR guy gets on my nerves more and more everyday :LOL:

It's just clickbait nonesense, it'll probably be underwhelming. The SAR guy gets on my nerves more and more everyday :LOL:

I agree, will likely be nothing too much out of the ordinary, he will post anything to get a few more clicks or views on his awful youtube channel.

Guys. It's just a bit of fun.

I am curious enough to keep reading but I don't find the never done before aspect grippingly exciting as it could just be another unusual focal length or range.

In truth I'd be more excited about a compact Sony mount MF TTArtisan 28mm f2 selling for £120. I'd buy that today :D

Well, from Sigma if they're bringing mirrorless equivalents of DSLR lenses, then this woudl count as 'epic' :LOL:

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/200_500_28/

As it's a bit quiet. A couple more night time Saltburn pictures. A7 and Sony 20mm f1.8.

The lights at the end of the pier are fishermen. I was desperately trying to keep my shadow out of pictures.

1-DSC05696.jpg

On the pier looking back towards the closed buisnesses.

1-DSC05712.jpg

I was quite surprised at the number of people milling about and by the number who wanted to chat.

Guys. It's just a bit of fun.

I am curious enough to keep reading but I don't find the never done before aspect grippingly exciting as it could just be another unusual focal length or range.

In truth I'd be more excited about a compact Sony mount MF TTArtisan 28mm f2 selling for £120. I'd buy that today :D
I'd be more excited about a 16-50mm f4. I do wish he'd stop banging on about Fuji, he's fixated with them.

Latest rumour is an f1.8 FF zoom lens, could this be the "epic" sigma lens?

I'd be more excited about a 16-50mm f4. I do wish he'd stop banging on about Fuji, he's fixated with them.

There is a reason he bangs on about the x100V so much, it is far and away the most searched for term related to photography equipment on Google the more times he mentions it the more likely he is to get clicks from google through to his site and in turn the more clicks he gets on the many many ads running on the site and amazon affiliate clicks. It is basic S.E.O.

Latest rumour is an f1.8 FF zoom lens, could this be the "epic" sigma lens?

Not sure an f/1.8 zoom is possible without being the size of a house but then that has not put Sigma off before. I guess they did have the old 24-35 f/2 for DSLR's.

Not sure an f/1.8 zoom is possible without being the size of a house but then that has not put Sigma off before. I guess they did have the old 24-35 f/2 for DSLR's.
Sigma have a 50-100 f/1.8 zoom for Canon, on 1.5 kg :LOL:

There is a reason he bangs on about the x100V so much, it is far and away the most searched for term related to photography equipment on Google the more times he mentions it the more likely he is to get clicks from google through to his site and in turn the more clicks he gets on the many many ads running on the site and amazon affiliate clicks. It is basic S.E.O.

Having been initially skeptical but then briefly having a X100s (it was faulty and went back) and then a X100f I can see the appeal of these cameras but there are just too many niggles for me and the reviews I've seen haven't convinced me that those niggles have gone away with the latest camera and IMHO these cameras just don't move the image quality on enough over MFT, if at all, to make the change worthwhile for me. I would potentially be interested in a Fuji like FF Sony camera if Sony can keep the niggles away and the cripple hammer in the cupboard.

PS.
Suffering a bit of gas. I've been looking at the 40/50mm f2.5's (I have the 24mm f2.8 G) but they don't really make sense as I have the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 and the G's in all truth aren't so significantly smaller than the 55mm (or 35mm f1.8) to justify me buying one especially when I have the 35mm f1.8 and f2.8 and 35 and 55mm f1.8's. There is 50 v 55mm issue (and 35 v 40mm) to think about but at the price of the G's I can't really justify the change and the 55mm is f1.8 which can come in handy. Other lenses, the 35mm f1.4 GM is a bit big for me, the f1.8 suits me better. Nothing is grabbing me enough to buy. Replacing the A7 isn't really in my thoughts as it does pretty much all I need apart from silent shooting and I have MFT that can do that. There are no MF lenses that are really appealing to me either. The Loawa 35mm f0.95 should but if looks too big for me to be comfortable with. I think I'll have to just get over the gas :D

Last edited:
Having been initially skeptical but then briefly having a X100s (it was faulty and went back) and then a X100f I can see the appeal of these cameras but there are just too many niggles for me and the reviews I've seen haven't convinced me that those niggles have gone away with the latest camera and IMHO these cameras just don't move the image quality on enough over MFT, if at all, to make the change worthwhile for me. I would potentially be interested in a Fuji like FF Sony camera if Sony can keep the niggles away and the cripple hammer in the cupboard.

PS.
Suffering a bit of gas. I've been looking at the 40/50mm f2.5's (I have the 24mm f2.8 G) but they don't really make sense as I have the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 and the G's in all truth aren't so significantly smaller than the 55mm (or 35mm f1.8) to justify me buying one especially when I have the 35mm f1.8 and f2.8 and 35 and 55mm f1.8's. There is 50 v 55mm issue (and 35 v 40mm) to think about but at the price of the G's I can't really justify the change and the 55mm is f1.8 which can come in handy. Other lenses, the 35mm f1.4 GM is a bit big for me, the f1.8 suits me better. Nothing is grabbing me enough to buy. Replacing the A7 isn't really in my thoughts as it does pretty much all I need apart from silent shooting and I have MFT that can do that. There are no MF lenses that are really appealing to me either. The Loawa 35mm f0.95 should but if looks too big for me to be comfortable with. I think I'll have to just get over the gas :D
I really like the X100 series, especially the latter ones. However, SAR is about Sony, not Fuji. Sony are never going to be Fuji ;)

It’s a pity it’s a 28-45 instead of even a 24-35.

This also would have me not interested.

“I talked to a few people testing the lens and they said the lens is way too big and heavy as a photography lens.”

PS.
I had an X100T for a good while it was a nice toy but the lens was soft as mush wide open.

I have also used an X100v wasn’t that impressed with the lens on that either although it seemed a little bit better than the older version.

Last edited:
I had an X100T for a good while it was a nice toy but the lens was soft as mush wide open.

I have also used an X100v wasn’t that impressed with the lens on that either although it seemed a little bit better than the older version.

I found the lens sharp enough wide open most of the time but it is more visibly soft at close range but how often would I wan to shoot wide open at or near MFD? Not too often if ever. A bigger gripe for me was the complete lack of feel to the manual focus and I would be using MF in some circumstances, close up shots for instance but probably not wide open.

Last edited:
I found the lens sharp enough wide open most of the time but it is more visibly soft at close range but how often would I wan to shoot wide open at or near MFD? Not too often if ever. A bigger gripe for me was the complete lack of feel to the manual focus and I would be using MF in some circumstances, close up shots for instance but probably not wide open.

I've been using MF with peaking for street stuff and I've been quite enjoying it.

I've been using MF with peaking for street stuff and I've been quite enjoying it.

What do you think about the focus action?

I ask because I thought it was completely devoid of any feel. Ok it sort of works in that twiddling the focus ring causes the lens to focus if IMO rather clumsily and it was by far the worst focus action I've encountered on any camera let alone a modern one costing hundreds of quid. That's an area I'd like to see improved.

What do you think about the focus action?

I ask because I thought it was completely devoid of any feel. Ok it sort of works in that twiddling the focus ring causes the lens to focus if IMO rather clumsily and it was by far the worst focus action I've encountered on any camera let alone a modern one costing hundreds of quid. That's an area I'd like to see improved.

Well, it's obviously not got the feel of an old manual lens, or a Voigtlander or Leica I would imagine, but it's certainly no worse than focusing anything else that is focus by wire. The 35GM is very hard to accurately focus imo especially on stars for night shots. Whereas the Tamron 70-180mm does have much more throw hence more accurate and lovely to manual focus.

I just found that the focus ring just spun with no resistance or feel and I also found it laggy but I suppose a lot depends on expectations. I do hope that if Sony do a similar camera they do a better job of the manual focus both in action and feel. I was happy with the overall quality of the lens and didn't find it overly soft other than around MFD wide open.

Sigma did the 200-500 f2.8 and that was a nice light lens. :ROFLMAO:

I just found that the focus ring just spun with no resistance or feel and I also found it laggy but I suppose a lot depends on expectations. I do hope that if Sony do a similar camera they do a better job of the manual focus both in action and feel. I was happy with the overall quality of the lens and didn't find it overly soft other than around MFD wide open.

I need to do some sharpness tests at some point before I decide to go the X100Vi route or not. There's other reasons stopping me. And a few reason's I'd like to. But I need to weigh things up.

I need to do some sharpness tests at some point before I decide to go the X100Vi route or not. There's other reasons stopping me. And a few reason's I'd like to. But I need to weigh things up.
In the crossover month that I owned the X100F and the X100V I tested the two side by side. The new V was definitely sharper, very noticeable when using at minimum focus distance and slightly better at distance.

Back