The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

From what I've read & seen, it's a cracking little lens. Certainly something I would go for if I weren't in the 35GM camp that's for sure!

Nice photos too btw :)

I've got used to 35mm and 50mm and I think I know where to stand and what the end pictures will look like with either so going out with this 40mm and thinking it'd be pretty close to 35mm I found myself standing too close for the picture I wanted and having to back up. I came home thinking it's too tight to replace 35mm and that I do prefer 35mm so I might as well offer it for sale and see if anyone wants it but I'll have to go out again and compare it to a 35mm and see which I prefer. It is a nice lens and I do like compact kit but the 35mm f2.8 is even smaller if not so nicely made and the 35mm f1.8 offers f1.8 and a closer MFD in a slightly larger but not massively so lens. The 35mm f1.8 isn't really all that much bigger than the 40mm f2.5 with its hood in place.

Decisions and first world issues :D

The A6700 + 18-50 is such a wonderful combination for size, versatility and capabilities. Love mine and take it everywhere. One from that combo:

A disappointing day so far. Used Sony hvl-f60rm2 flash turned up from Clifton but they mis advertised as it is the Mk 1 so will not fully work with A9 iii. They were really good dealing with it and it will be picked up tomorrow. A9 iii from Panamoz due to arrive by 11.20 and still not here. It says it is out for delivery so hopeful but as always fearing the worst. A bargain bundle of Camera, lens, bag, flash etc due by 1pm but seems to have left Dorset last night and not arrived in Edinburgh this morning. A day which had shaped up to be a gearfest is so far a complete disaster. For all the excitement of waiting for new kit the stress of it actually turning up undamaged really is tough to go through for a worrier like me. I'm twiddling thumbs with nothing to play with

A disappointing day so far. Used Sony hvl-f60rm2 flash turned up from Clifton but they mis advertised as it is the Mk 1 so will not fully work with A9 iii. They were really good dealing with it and it will be picked up tomorrow. A9 iii from Panamoz due to arrive by 11.20 and still not here. It says it is out for delivery so hopeful but as always fearing the worst. A bargain bundle of Camera, lens, bag, flash etc due by 1pm but seems to have left Dorset last night and not arrived in Edinburgh this morning. A day which had shaped up to be a gearfest is so far a complete disaster. For all the excitement of waiting for new kit the stress of it actually turning up undamaged really is tough to go through for a worrier like me. I'm twiddling thumbs with nothing to play with
New toys are always nice.

I ordered a Siggy 35 f/2 this morning should hopefully be here tomorrow. Christ knows why I was just bored and had a need for a new toy. We already have the G.M and the 35mm f/1.8.

Last edited:
If we are on the subject of cars, here's my family car :rolleyes:

View: https://flic.kr/p/2pU1WCw

Owned by my father in law for 20 years, well looked after with only 60k on it. Regularly serviced but lots of little niggles that I've had to sort. The plan is to keep it going as long as possible.

Think yourself lucky it’s only minor niggles thon Capri is giving me nightmares and has to be ready for the Ford Fair on Sunday.

It’s had a new distributer, a new coil, timing reset and still conks out after about 20 minutes. Will probably have to change the fuel pump as well even though we are pretty sure it is working fine but it’s the next thing on the list. Old cars are a joy to work on but a right nightmare to diagnose faults.

Last edited:
Think yourself lucky it’s only minor niggles thon Capri is giving me nightmares and has to be ready for the Ford Fair on Sunday.

It’s had a new distributer, a new coil, timing reset and still conks out after about 20 minutes. Will probably have to change the fuel pump as well even though we are pretty sure it is working fine but it’s the next thing on the list. Old cars are a joy to work on but a right nightmare to diagnose faults.

Does it cut out sharply? Cough and splutter?

New toys are always nice.

I ordered a Siggy 35 f/2 this morning should hopefully be here tomorrow. Christ knows why I was just bored and had a need for a new toy. We already have the G.M and the 35mm f/1.8.
Camera arrived all safe and sound. Panamoz excellent again. First impressions are good. It feels chunkier and better built. The battery tray is much better which wouldn't be hard considering how poor the hold on teh battery was in the previous grip. Buttons are bigger or at least taller and it feels a quality bit of kit. As per it is lashing with rain, always is on new camera day. I've got an athletics event on Friday so that will be a good test and then I am shooting skateboarding for teh first time on Saturday for fun. Gutted the Sony flash was the wrong model as it would have been ideal. I suppose that means i have to set up a Godox so I can use global shutter sync. First attempt at updating a camera through Creator app too and the downloading of the file to the camera was really quick and the whole process took about 5 minutes. No cable with camera though as a downside.. Perhaps the things I like most is the extra wheel where the exposure compensation dial was. I play with that all the time and this will make it better. Also a few more choices with custom buttons which always helps.

Does it cut out sharply? Cough and splutter?

It cuts out sharply near enough to the second after idling for 20 minutes. You can sort of keep it going a bit longer when driving but it eventually does it then too. It’s hard to start after it cuts out as well.

We were told it was likely the condenser but have put in an electronic ignition and it’s still happening. Have also changed the dizzy, new plugs, new coil and reset the timing all to no avail. My brother in law is convinced it’s not the fuel pump although I think it is. He has a clear glass fuel filter and it showing no issues with fuel getting in. Carb is pretty new as well.

Won’t get another chance to look at it again till tomorrow. Will let it run and cut out again and check the fuel tray.

been a real head scratcher.

Last edited:
Camera arrived all safe and sound. Panamoz excellent again. First impressions are good. It feels chunkier and better built. The battery tray is much better which wouldn't be hard considering how poor the hold on teh battery was in the previous grip. Buttons are bigger or at least taller and it feels a quality bit of kit. As per it is lashing with rain, always is on new camera day. I've got an athletics event on Friday so that will be a good test and then I am shooting skateboarding for teh first time on Saturday for fun. Gutted the Sony flash was the wrong model as it would have been ideal. I suppose that means i have to set up a Godox so I can use global shutter sync. First attempt at updating a camera through Creator app too and the downloading of the file to the camera was really quick and the whole process took about 5 minutes. No cable with camera though as a downside.. Perhaps the things I like most is the extra wheel where the exposure compensation dial was. I play with that all the time and this will make it better. Also a few more choices with custom buttons which always helps.

Sony have really cut back no cable is the least of it. A7CII ships with just the body and the battery nothing else at all.

Sony have really cut back no cable is the least of it. A7CII ships with just the body and the battery nothing else at all.
I don't think I have ever charged battery in a camera body. Surely the first thing anyone would buy. Got a clutch of lenses firmware updated, still a good few to go but only so much of that a man can take. One problem which I'm not sure if its is actually an issue is that in pre capture when at a slow shutter speed the viewfinder behaves very differently. I doubt I would ever be using pre-capture with a slow shutter speed but it almost looks like how a panned shot would look as you pan. Turn pre-capture off and it is fine. I have seen a few people complain about this effect and although I worked out what causes it I'm not sure if it should really do that.

I don't think I have ever charged battery in a camera body. Surely the first thing anyone would buy. Got a clutch of lenses firmware updated, still a good few to go but only so much of that a man can take. One problem which I'm not sure if its is actually an issue is that in pre capture when at a slow shutter speed the viewfinder behaves very differently. I doubt I would ever be using pre-capture with a slow shutter speed but it almost looks like how a panned shot would look as you pan. Turn pre-capture off and it is fine. I have seen a few people complain about this effect and although I worked out what causes it I'm not sure if it should really do that.
Does it have frame rate low limit like the A1, and does it still do it with that on?

I couldn't see a setting for low frame rate just standard and high. No bottom rate so presumably it is matching the shutter speed. PreCapture is essentially a no go for pre capture as you wouldn't be able to see if something happened anyway. It also only happens when you have press the shutter or have af on pressed. That is despite a half press of the shutter not having an assigned function. Weird as it can clearly show a decent display without pressing af on

I couldn't see a setting for low frame rate just standard and high. No bottom rate so presumably it is matching the shutter speed. PreCapture is essentially a no go for pre capture as you wouldn't be able to see if something happened anyway. It also only happens when you have press the shutter or have af on pressed. That is despite a half press of the shutter not having an assigned function. Weird as it can clearly show a decent display without pressing af on
It’s not in that menu it’s different to the viewfinder refresh rate. The A9iii does have it, see here (frame rate low limit), although the description here is different to the A1 as the A1 talks about low frame rate when panning.

Last edited:
It cuts out sharply near enough to the second after idling for 20 minutes. You can sort of keep it going a bit longer when driving but it eventually does it then too. It’s hard to start after it cuts out as well.

We were told it was likely the condenser but have put in an electronic ignition and it’s still happening. Have also changed the dizzy, new plugs, new coil and reset the timing all to no avail. My brother in law is convinced it’s not the fuel pump although I think it is. He has a clear glass fuel filter and it showing no issues with fuel getting in. Carb is pretty new as well.

Won’t get another chance to look at it again till tomorrow. Will let it run and cut out again and check the fuel tray.

been a real head scratcher.

I had sudden & random cutting out in mine before. Tried everything, spare coil, module, etc & it was the rotor arm. Where it slides on there's a very small metal tab - that was the issue! If it cuts out suddenly it is pretty much ignition related. Do you have power where there should be power when it cuts out or won't restart? ie at the coil, dizzy, etc See if you can try a wire direct from battery to coil - it shouldn't be ballast wire from the ignition though I don't think like the older stuff.

It’s not in that menu it’s different to the viewfinder refresh rate. The A9iii does have it, see here (frame rate low limit), although the description here is different to the A1 as the A1 talks about low frame rate when panning.

That is the very setting needed. I had seen it when setting teh camera up but when I saw the issue I only looked in teh finder settings. Now working as I expected and no difference from pre-capture being on or off from what I can tell. Thanks

I had sudden & random cutting out in mine before. Tried everything, spare coil, module, etc & it was the rotor arm. Where it slides on there's a very small metal tab - that was the issue! If it cuts out suddenly it is pretty much ignition related. Do you have power where there should be power when it cuts out or won't restart? ie at the coil, dizzy, etc See if you can try a wire direct from battery to coil - it shouldn't be ballast wire from the ignition though I don't think like the older stuff.

Will give that a look cheers

In the time I’ve had it, I’ve sorted the DISA valve as it was rattling, passenger side door was leaking water into the cabin, the roof stopped working, dodgy road handling on twisty roads so it’s been fun, I don’t mind tinkering with it every now and then.

I was going to go out today but it's dull and raining and windy. I'll try again tomorrow.

A7 and Sony 40mm f2.5 at f8. Cheap Chinese watch just placed on the windowsill. At AF MFD with No.4 close up filter.

DSC05940.jpg

The MFD is quite close and you can get a bit closer with MF but I wondered how it'd do with a close up filter so I tried this. I think this lens both with and without a close up filter will be ok for flower and other close up stuff when out and about.

Run it with the petrol cap off may be a blocked vent in the tank

I was going to go out today but it's dull and raining and windy. I'll try again tomorrow.

A7 and Sony 40mm f2.5 at f8. Cheap Chinese watch just placed on the windowsill. At AF MFD with No.4 close up filter.

View attachment 424364

The MFD is quite close and you can get a bit closer with MF but I wondered how it'd do with a close up filter so I tried this. I think this lens both with and without a close up filter will be ok for flower and other close up stuff when out and about.
That’s really impressive.

View attachment 424364

Watches on the windy sill could become a thing. iPhone :cool:

IMG_0163.jpeg

Watches on the windy sill could become a thing. iPhone :cool:

That’s really impressive.

Remember that picture of mine above was taken with a No.4 close up filter attached. I sometimes take a close up filter with me if I think I might be taking pictures of wild flowers or similar when out as it allows me to get a closer picture without swapping to a macro lens.

This is at AF MFD without the close up filter... Another equally cheap Chinese watch...

DSC05941.jpg

Changing to MF gets you a couple of cm or so closer.

DSC05942.jpg

I haven't measured the MFD against other 35 or 50mm lenses but I think it maybe does focus a little closer than I'd expect and of course as I'm just a happy snapper I'm ok with cropping. This is a 66% crop from the AF shot.

1-DSC05941.jpg

This reminds me what a PITA cleaning things for a close up is. I didn't bother cleaning for these :D

Just whilst I'm on the subject of cheap Chinese watches... I normally wear a watch when I leave home and I do have some nice Swiss watches but as I spend time in borderline or even actual dodgy places I began to think it was a bit silly wearing a nice watch so I started buying these cheap Chinese mechanical automatic watches and I have a few now all costing between £15 to under £30. I did read that some naughty Swiss watch makers have been importing these movements and selling them in Swiss casings at vastly inflated prices. Anyone interested could probably Google their way to this issue. I don't know if I'll buy any more of these as I watched an interview the other day about some of the stuff going on in China and it really shocked me. I had some idea but it really shocked me. Me not buying from China wont change anything and in fact we can't really avoid buying Chinese stuff but that interview is something that'll stay with me for a very long time and it'll take the sheen off buying unnecessary Chinese products.

Last edited:
A bit of a bargain arrived today. £1240 saw me get a gripped A7R3 in very decent order with 2 extra genuine batteries and pro media Lbracket, 85mm GM, HVL-F60RM flash, Think Tank Bag, BlackRapid Strap and a good few other bits and bobs. The camera is the oldest I have had in my hand from Sony and the only one without real time tracking. I may use it as a remote instead of my A9 for the extra resolution which will allow looser framing and more chance of getting the shot. Works well with the Pocketwizards. I'll sell either the A9 or the A7R3 and most of the other bits and bobs in the hope of getting the bulk of my cash back and ending up with a very, very cheap 85Gm and Sony Flash.

Had a quick go on the HVL-F60RM flash on the A1 and TTL is night and day better than the Godox flashes I have used and struggled with. I think they will all be up for sale too and I will get the new SonyHVL-F60RM2 for the A9 iii and the commander unit. I'll keep the bigger Godox Units as I only use them in Manual anyways and they are excellent.

I also had a quick play with the flash delay for a Godox V1 on the A9iii. It was very easy to get the timing right after setting the rear wheel up to change values. If shooting on manual the Godox Units will work brilliantly. No TTL though and I tend to use that at events. Hopefully, head out soon for my first shot with the A9ii outside the house.

As it's a bit quiet...

Random pictures taken with my A7 and here's a shock, they weren't all taken with a 35mm lens. One was taken with something else.

The Seaside.

1-DSC04763.jpg

The Lines. Before the council vandalised and tarmacked it.

1-DSC08590.jpg

Notse si siht?

1-DSC07316.jpg

Mrs WW's home town, and where she is now.

1-DSC06841.jpg

"Notse si siht" was taken with my Sony 55mm f1.8.

I've just had an email from MBP to say they have a Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 in Sony mount in stock. I have one already from Robert White. It's a nice lens. Someone should but MBP's :D There's is the SE version. I have the older one with the declick option and scalloped focus ring.

Last edited:
Back