The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

and the sigma arts performance on the sony is awesome ...........

By the time youve added the ART and the adapter to the A7rii youre looking at DSLR size and very similar weight. Then its wether you want the other features / positives / negatives of mirrorless because size and weight is out the window.

Last edited:
By the time youve added the ART and the adapter to the A7rii youre looking at DSLR size and very similar weight. Then its wether you want the other features / positives / negatives of mirrorless because size and weight is out the window.
Yup and I sort of like the benefits of the a7 series over my 5d3. The only thing going for the 5d3 is its battery life. Buffer speed and robust. For shooting in an urban environment or a day trip to the lake district. The A7rii is fine but traveling around the world. The 5d3 is what will be used

Yup and I sort of like the benefits of the a7 series over my 5d3. The only thing going for the 5d3 is its battery life. Buffer speed and robust. For shooting in an urban environment or a day trip to the lake district. The A7rii is fine but traveling around the world. The 5d3 is what will be used

Yeah, both DSLR and Mirrorless have a place in my bag, each have something to add.

Anyway - horses for courses. I'm looking at a small (smaller than my 7D with Sigma Art 35mm) high-quality camera that I'll take with me on travels, climbing trips and when generally out and about. It'll be used as a point-and-shoot, and a "serious" camera.

I guess it all depends on what your shooting etc.... I have an rx100m2 that I put in my pocket sometimes

Anyway - horses for courses. I'm looking at a small (smaller than my 7D with Sigma Art 35mm) high-quality camera that I'll take with me on travels, climbing trips and when generally out and about. It'll be used as a point-and-shoot, and a "serious" camera.
a6300 ;-)

a6300 is a damn nice camera defo shouldn't rule it out if you want small and light

Mate the mirrorless system ain't any smaller then a dslr with quality fast lenses though.

If you don't need fast lenses then that's when the downsizing will benefit

Reality doesn't support the highlighted view and I do wonder why we see this repeated time and time again. An A7 body, even a II, is so much smaller than a FF DSLR (like the 5D I had...) that there's always going to be a saving if the cameras being compared are fitted with the same or equivalent lenses so the question should be is the saving in bulk offered by an A7+lens significant.

Ignore the lenses and the loaf of bread here and look at the cameras.

Look at that big fat DSLR...

Yup, the smaller the lens fitted the more the saving in bulk and weight but even with similar lenses there should still a saving unless you pick a relatively huge Sony lens and a relatively small DSLR lens as the A7 series body is so small.

A7II v 5DIII...

Here's an A7II with 85mm f1.4 GM v 5D with Sigma 85mm f1.4.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#312.222,579.516,ha,t

Of course an A7/A7II is smaller than a DSLR but does it matter? It's a personal decision.

Suggesting APS-C cameras in A7 thead?! Wheres @woof woof to tell us that for him it's got to be either m43 or FF :exit:

You called... but not sure I understand what you mean... have you had a lunch time pint? :D

I use my A7 as my luxury kit and I use my MFT kit when I want even smaller kit or when I'm going somewhere I don't want to take my A7. I don't have anything against APS-C and indeed a few tweaks and additions to the A6000 series lens line up and I'd be very tempted.

.... mmmm lunchtime pint....

latest

You called... but not sure I understand what you mean... have you had a lunch time pint? :D

I use my A7 as my luxury kit and I use my MFT kit when I want even smaller kit or when I'm going somewhere I don't want to take my A7. I don't have anything against APS-C and indeed a few tweaks and additions to the A6000 series lens line up and I'd be very tempted.

How do you find the MFT image compared to the A7 when printed at A3?

How do you find the MFT image compared to the A7 when printed at A3?

This is a portrait I shot in 2011 with my old GF1 and 14-45 kit lens with 2 Nikon speed lights triggered remotely (one on the background and one in a soft box as key light).

25915804022_98e13b1ac0.jpg

We have it printed 18"x12" (pretty much A3) and hung on the wall and the detail is excellent. I've also got a 36"x24" canvas on another wall taken with the GF1.

Excuse the iPhone shots!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1458842432.523877.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1458842462.441056.jpg

Apologies these aren't shot with an A7 in the A7 thread but it illustrates the point that 'even' M43 can deliver excellent portrait results with the right lighting. This was shot in a small bedroom with a popup white background and a stool for Chloe to sit on.

Last edited:
The Olympus E-M1/M5ii was a serious contender as a successor to my Nikon D700 kit. Enough for me to borrow the kit from them for the weekend for a "test drive", was very close to buying one and the associated PRO lenses, which were giving me excellent results, certainly much, much better than any of the current Sony Zeiss zooms, G range excepted.

Never tried it before tbh. Any good?
There are six (I think) different filters, one for sharpening and noise, one for HDR, one for film lookalike modes, one for b&w conversion etc... The one I'm most interested in is the b&w converter as it's something that I struggle to get a good look with.

If you haven't come across Nik filters before I think it's worth clicking on the link and having a quick read or even downloading the set to see if they'll be any use to you as these Nik filters do seem to have their fans.

Last edited:
The Olympus E-M1/M5ii was a serious contender as a successor to my Nikon D700 kit. Enough for me to borrow the kit from them for the weekend for a "test drive", was very close to buying one and the associated PRO lenses, which were giving me excellent results, certainly much, much better than any of the current Sony Zeiss zooms, G range excepted.
I recently bought a Panasonic G7 and 12-35mm f2.8 and they both do seem very good but I don't think that they can match the image quality of my A7 if I want to obsess, but it's good quality in a small package. There's no doubt that there are some very good MFT lenses and if they could be scaled up to FF whilst keeping the quality they'd be some of the best lenses... ever?

I recently bought a Panasonic G7 and 12-35mm f2.8 and they both do seem very good but I don't think that they can match the image quality of my A7 if I want to obsess, but it's good quality in a small package. There's no doubt that there are some very good MFT lenses and if they could be scaled up to FF whilst keeping the quality they'd be some of the best lenses... ever?

If the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 or 40-150mm f2.8 was scaled up to FF size, it'll probably look like the G master and weigh just as much !

Would be great if Olympus made Sony FE lenses. I'd even buy APS-C type Olympus pro lenses and use them in cropped mode, there is enough MP, esp for an A7rii. For critical work or landscape, I'll use FF lenses.

The setup would look like:
A7 ii (r or standard)
18-50mm f2.8 (APC-/NEX) Olympus
Sony/Zeis/Loxia/Batis FF 24mm f2.8
Sony/Zeis/Loxia FF 85mm f2.0

Doubt it'll happen though, Oly will keep carving the m43 furrow and they've never made lenses for any one else.

Last edited:
Have you read the rumour about Oly developing a FF system? ok, it may/possibly wont happen, but it could :D

I like having some quality kit but in many instances I don't think that I need the very highest quality. My old film era manual lenses are frankly poor by modern standards but for whole images viewed on screen or in even quite large prints viewed normally they're good... and it's only at the wider apertures and when pixel peeping towards the edges that failings against modern lenses become more obvious. My A7 files do look gorgeous even when looked at closely but that's a different thing to lens quality and not something that I think MFT can match but when looking at a whole image it's easy for me to confuse A7 and MFT shots :D

Back