The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The current E mount 50/1.8 is around £100 and very sharp so the new FE probably doesn't add much over it other than FE compatibility. The 70-300 is a positive focal range but $1200 (so probably £1200!) is the usual ridiculous Sony pricing considering it's variable aperture and pretty slow at the long end.
The existing 50mm f1.8 for crop is really, really good. I had one for a while and on an a6000 there wasn't too much between that at the 55mm, plus there's the in body stabilisation. It'll comfortably outperform this new lens on a crop body.

The 70-300mm will perform similarly to the Canon L and existing Sony 70-300mm G for A mount - which is to say very well, and fairly priced in comparison. It's not your grandfather's old junky Sigma 70-300mm with coke-bottle glass.

The comments over at DPR are a scream :D

Apparently the 70-300mm should be $90 because the Tamron is and Sony should pay people to use a nifty fifty.

The 70-300mm will perform similarly to the Canon L and existing Sony 70-300mm G for A mount - which is to say very well, and fairly priced in comparison. It's not your grandfather's old junky Sigma 70-300mm with coke-bottle glass.

I have to ask how you know it will perform as well as a Canon L 70-300? As far as I know it's only been announced today? I never suggested it would be the same as the old Sigma but then it also has a different spec to the existing 70-200 F4 which I'd personally rather have and then just crop instead of relying on higher ISO to account for the slower aperture.

Forget this.... included in the above link.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good value for money for sony

Yes.

I'm pretty sure that it wont come anywhere near the optical performance of the 55mm but at least it's a cheap option for anyone who doesn't want to spend 55mm money.

I wonder if it'll hurt sales of the 55mm?

As you say diff market to the 55 I'm wondering if the rumours I heard about that a5 series are coming true?

I have to ask how you know it will perform as well as a Canon L 70-300? As far as I know it's only been announced today? I never suggested it would be the same as the old Sigma but then it also has a different spec to the existing 70-200 F4 which I'd personally rather have and then just crop instead of relying on higher ISO to account for the slower aperture.
MTF charts tend to give a pretty good estimate of lens performance, and while they're not comparable from brand to brand (Each company does them differently), they generally are from the same brand. Comparing the old A mount with the new E mount, there appears to be a bit of a bump in sharpness. Since the old lens is a known quantity with positive reviews (I considered it in the brief time when I had an A mount camera) that put it on the same level as the Canon, it's fair to assume the same of the new lens.
Yes there's a trade off, comparing it to the 70-200mm, and for a lot of people you're right, the 70-200mm will remain a better choice. If you're in good light and need the extra reach though, I'm sure this will beat it though, and more options are always good. :)

As you say diff market to the 55 I'm wondering if the rumours I heard about that a5 series are coming true?
I just wondered if people going for the 55mm because it was until now the only choice may now go for the cheaper 50mm.

Is the A5 a cheaper FF model under A7 class? Maybe rf style rather than SLR style? Whatever it is if it comes to pass I do hope it has an evf rather than being a back screen only model.

yeah thats the the idea, nex style body with ff, think something like that has some niches, like drones, steady cam, mountain climbing/hiking, b cam

but how much weight/size u save i dont know.

still no new stuff for a mount , sigh :(

its not as bad as it seems I had a wide range of bodies sold them all except 2 and will be down to 4 by the summer lol

Might be worth removing the eyepiece and giving the proximity sensor a quick wipe over and blow of air too. Only trouble I've had in that regard is a stray hair that was confusing it.

If you can't find a solution otherwise, shoot with it set to viewfinder or monitor, and have C2 set up to toggle between the two manually. It's how I have it set up nowadays and you might just prefer it that way too anyway.

Will give it a clean later and see if that helps. Great idea regarding the toggle, if cleaning it fails I'll do that! Thanks for the tip :)

how much was the 70-300 ? i bet the RX10II people are miffed , lets hope they don't refresh the A7Rii as fast lol

The a7s2 is the wife's for video lol... yeah already sold 55 and 28mm so no native glass left.... but collected 645z earlier :)

I'd be tempted by a cheapo nifty-fifty, though I guess it's whether it's better to get an optically better, but fully manual FD lens for about the same price with a converter?

I've ordered my R2... the wait begins (1-2 weeks apparently) *sigh* I've sold all my Canon gear so am temporarily camera-less, which is bad timing given it's our daughter's 1st birthday :oops: :$

A7RII? Nice one, they are wonderful bodies :) how comes you have to wait? No stock anywhere?

I'd be tempted by a cheapo nifty-fifty, though I guess it's whether it's better to get an optically better, but fully manual FD lens for about the same price with a converter?

I've ordered my R2... the wait begins (1-2 weeks apparently) *sigh* I've sold all my Canon gear so am temporarily camera-less, which is bad timing given it's our daughter's 1st birthday :oops: :$
Nice samyang in the classifieds lol

Internal order (ordering from a friend who works for Sony) so a bit slower to arrive. Worth if for the 44% discount though :D
Get some G master ordered then

If I had any cash left over... Sadly moving house, so things are a bit tight.
Also, suspect the GM's will be a bit heavy for me, looking to keep things light and nimble...

If I had any cash left over... Sadly moving house, so things are a bit tight.
Also, suspect the GM's will be a bit heavy for me, looking to keep things light and nimble...
Order me some stuff and I'd be happy to give you something ;)

Has anyone got the a7r original??? A friend has one and wants a few vintage lenses for it

I'll be surprised / appalled if any 50mm FD lens is technically better than the new Sony.

Has anyone got the a7r original??? A friend has one and wants a few vintage lenses for it

I wonder if he'd like a set of Zuiko lenses... 24, 28, 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5?

I haven't used them for a while or my FD's either and I keep thinking that I should slim down the kit I don't use... but then I think that I'd only get 2p for them if anyone actually wanted them so might as well keep them.

its 250 dollars, so a adapted manual lens should be significantly cheaper

I wonder if he'd like a set of Zuiko lenses... 24, 28, 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5?

I haven't used them for a while or my FD's either and I keep thinking that I should slim down the kit I don't use... but then I think that I'd only get 2p for them if anyone actually wanted them so might as well keep them.

Interesting zukio :) will ask

Anyone else using Nik and if so what for?

After browsing and playing I'm sure I'll use the b&w converter but so far I haven't found anything else that grabs me. Can't complain to much though as it's free :D

I use Nik in every single shot I do! It became an indispensable piece of tool after Photoshop or Lightroom.

Back