The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No. They both use contrast only but the a7s focuses in much lower EV. It's fairly close (iso) but the a7s is better, I like the way the a7s renders but the a7r is also good. The R also suffers shutter shock is very loud and the S has silent shutter and quieter mechanical plus way better video.

A7s has silent shutter? Didn't know that

A7s has silent shutter? Didn't know that

Yup, its one of the biggest reasons I bought it. I think it only works at the same shutter speeds as mechanical though (1/8000). Fuji for e.g. goes up to 1/32000. Gotta watch out for rolling shutter though, especially with the bigger sensor.

Last edited:
Which strap is this?

BTW, Ive switched it between a few cameras over quite a long period, no problems, even had a D750 and heavy Sigma 35/50 ARTs dangle from it to test so its well made. Also very compact compared to neck / sling straps etc. Excellent VFM. Also, look at the peak design clutch, very good but bulkier and more expensive.

I have the PD clutch on my Nikon, the cordweaver on an XE1 and a PD slide on my XT1 at the moment.

Last edited:
Make up your mind.

And there's no Sony that offers anything near what a 1dxii offers. From what I've seen the 1dxii Dr is improved.
That's my point dude.

They can't command 1dx prices if it can't match or beat it in every single department

The £5k figure has been plucked out of the air but realistically, how many people have already paid nearly £3k for an A7R2 on release? If there are enough people willing to pay that, I get the feeling Sony could state that any new line comes with included unicorn tears and wallets will open.

My reasoning for the 5k figure is that the a7r was close to 3 it seriously would not surprised me if it was 4k ... it can't be cheaper if it is the flagship model...

Which ones? As far as I can see it's just a dual fast card slot with a large buffer. There's are other details are there?

It's rumours at the moment isn't it?
If it's a mirrorless camera with fast fps, dslr build, dual card slots and bigger battery - that's a few boxes ticked for my liking.

well ihave a false left leg and I have a funny idea that I shake to much to handhold it..... none of the pics are sharp at all...... which is a bummer :-(

Ah fair enough. Once you start hitting those resolutions, any movement is going to be picked up. I take it you don't want to use it on a tripod?
yeah I'm pretty sure it is me as the wife took a few and hers are a lot sharper obv got use to the ibis of the sonys I think to be honest .... no cant really tripod it unfortunately it will be going back tomorrow I think... I tried it I like it but no good if it doesn't work for me :-( on the plus side my bank balance will look a bit better lol

yeah I'm pretty sure it is me as the wife took a few and hers are a lot sharper obv got use to the ibis of the sonys I think to be honest .... no cant really tripod it unfortunately it will be going back tomorrow I think... I tried it I like it but no good if it doesn't work for me :-( on the plus side my bank balance will look a bit better lol

you could try faster shutter speed?
mirror and shutter slap become issues too with larger sensors. not sure if there are leaf shutter lenses for the 645 system or not

Back