The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I must admit I bought all mine body only so haven't used it only use primes

I must admit I bought all mine body only so haven't used it only use primes

I wouldn't use it professionally, but as a lightweight lens for travel it works perfectly! A 2.8 28-70 is about half a kilo heavier.

For those who understand the more technical side of things, LensRentals have been throwing out tests of a lot of Sony lenses recently, comparing them to the competition. I've put a quick summary for each, but if you know what an MTF chart is, they're well worth reading for a better understanding.

Sony 70-200mm f4 vs Canon and Nikon equivalents. Summary - fractionally less sharp in the centre, but performs better in the mid-frame and edges.
Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM vs Canon and Nikon equivalents. Summary - Sharpest in the centre, better edges than the Canon, but worse than the Nikon.
Sony 85mm f1.4 GM vs Nikon, Zeiss Planar, and Zeiss Otus. Summary - similar to the Nikon, Otus still rules the roost.

Also copy variance was found to be much better on all three than the much maligned 35mm f1.4, and very much up to Nikon and Canon's standards in this regard.

Obviously there is much more to a lens than just raw sharpness, and there is more to a photo than the technical image quality, but who doesn't want better lenses anyway?

Anymore news on the rumoured recall of g master glass? My Instagram is full of shots of people's lenses arriving.

Those lensrentals guys are back at it. They tore an 85mm f1.4 GM lens apart to investigate the reports of scratches, failed lenses, and the end of Sony as we know it. I won't spoil how the story ends up, you'll have to read it for yourselves. Even if you don't care about the 85mm drama, it's still cool to see how the magic works inside modern lenses like this.

Those lensrentals guys are back at it. They tore an 85mm f1.4 GM lens apart to investigate the reports of scratches, failed lenses, and the end of Sony as we know it. I won't spoil how the story ends up, you'll have to read it for yourselves. Even if you don't care about the 85mm drama, it's still cool to see how the magic works inside modern lenses like this.
Thanks for that, very interesting read.

I am looking for some advice, please.

Is there anyone using the Metabones Smart T adapter and Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L Mark II on Sony A7R II?
I read a lot on the net about the combo, but looking for some real experience.
I will not use it for sports, so AF-C is not important for me.

Thank you very much in advance.

Is there anyone using the Metabones Smart T adapter and Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L Mark II on Sony A7R II?

what are you shooting with it?? I had the r2 with metabones iv worked very well ... I have an a7ii at the moment and while the r is a bit quicker to focus not much in it tbh..... the 24-70works great on the a7r2 it is however bloody heavy and front weighted but image quality wise its cracking

The cost of that lens and the new metabones isn't too far off the cost of the new g master lens

what are you shooting with it?? I had the r2 with metabones iv worked very well ... I have an a7ii at the moment and while the r is a bit quicker to focus not much in it tbh..... the 24-70works great on the a7r2 it is however bloody heavy and front weighted but image quality wise its cracking

Yes, I was considering getting the grip. Because it bigger lens is little bit awkward, or may be because I am coming from Canon 6D. Will see.
About what I am shooting - My job is to shoot people. Most of the times naked people.

P.S. I have the lens already (Canon 24-70 MKII). considering to buy the GMaster but with all this issues about the UK stock..

Last edited:
personally if I t was me I would stick with the canon lens unless you need to spend the money...... for people especially naked ( I am a boudoir photographer sometimes myself) it is an ideal combo I would recommend it.....

personally if I t was me I would stick with the canon lens unless you need to spend the money...... for people especially naked ( I am a boudoir photographer sometimes myself) it is an ideal combo I would recommend it.....

Does it focus well in lower light (indoors)?

I've recently considered the 135f2 - but didn't have the best of times with my metabones previously.

tbh 100% honest if its boudoir etc the models/clients are still....... there is a delay on focusing not going to lie I would say it takers 2 seconds to lock on but for portraits headshots etc even in lower light no issue imho.... the other beautiful thing about these bodies is manual focus is also such a joy to use that with a setup shot if it does struggle flip the switch and manual... I had a positive experience with it upt op 300mm anything for fast action etc I wouldn't bother with

oh another thing is a friend uses the commlite adapter hardly any diff if I'm honest....

Yo wagwan.

Yea I got that combo. I did a shoot with it yesterday actually. Does the job mate.

IQ is quality but do use a grip with it as its a heavy lens but so will the g master.

Yea man the 35mm art. Best af canon lens on the a7rii.

The 24-70 canon sometimes hunt rarely like 30percent of the time but they sigma is fine 95percent of the time

Lovely. Sold my Nikon one and this could save me some money on the Sony 35 1.4

a7rs go for between £600 to £725 ish depending on condition..... I'm looking for one atm so done my research lol..... the mkii has ibis newer sensor less shutter shock better with adapted lens etc so yep tbh quite an upgrade

a7sii my wife owns fab camera totally diff to a7r2 tbh .... 12 megapixels optimised for low light .... fab fab camera but depends what you shoot if landscapes etc the a7r2 is the one to go with

One last one from today. It'd be great to have some light, colour and life but so often precious time away from responsibilities coincides with no light, no sky flat days that I just know will get me no real keepers. I suppose this dead light dreariness is interesting until you've seen it day after day after day... hey ho...

Just interested in who's using what and intending to buy what...

I'd post a poll if I knew how to do it :D so I just wondered if someone with time on their hands might post one maybe asking what bodies, lenses and kit people are using and what they're thinking of buying.
:D

Just interested in who's using what and intending to buy what...

I'd post a poll if I knew how to do it :D so I just wondered if someone with time on their hands might post one maybe asking what bodies, lenses and kit people are using and what they're thinking of buying.
:D

Good idea Alan. I'll leave this for someone else to do. I've only just worked out how to quote people. But happy to contribute what's on the gas list or in the post. Oh and did I mention I have a Batis for sale?? You would love it @woof woof image.jpeg

Back