The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

May be someone with more tests done could answer to your questions.
My observations so far are that if the lens is native SONY - no problem at all to have OSS in the lens on and IBIS in the body on.

With not native lens...sometimes works, sometimes if I turn of the IS on the lens - it turns off the IBIS in the camera as well, which is strange, but...

And to continue the topic and tests with Sigma MC-11:
Tested Sony A7RII + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 16-35 F4 L IS a few days in the city.
Some mixed feelings... the focus on the Canon 6D was faster, more consistent and better.
The quality of the Sony A7RII is better, much better.
And for some reason the IS is not working in auto mode, when I set up the IBIS manually for the correct focal lenth it works much better (or just work).
Don't get me wrong - this combo deliver a lot and I am happy - especially for still or not fast moving subjects.

Some examples:

Ace Cafe London by kalpachev1, on Flickr

Ace cafe London May 2016 by kalpachev1, on Flickr

On my metabones I have to manually set the ibis. Auto only works with native glass.

Ibis works if u switch off the lens IS on canon and metabones or am I missing something?
Lens IS on IBIS is off, lens IS off IBIS switches on, don't think you can have both working can you?
Didn't think MC11 was purposed for canon glass so will be slow, only sigma glass canon mount ?

Last edited:
Ibis works if u switch off the lens IS on canon and metabones or am I missing something?
Didn't think MC11 was purposed for canon glass so will be slow, only sigma glass canon mount ?

I don't have metabones, so I can not confirm - just my observations over Sigma MC-11 (Especially for the Canon EF 16-35 F4)
And yes, MC-11 was purposed for Sigma lenses.
Just I am trying to find some solution for my Canon glass and to share it. It works.

Have a nice weekend :)

Np thanks for feedback, I did want one of these for the 600mm sigma
Seems to act same then, I use lens IS mostly and 5axis if I'm using none is lens or just leave it for FE lens to do what it does...

I talk to @owenb a lot he keeping away from here as it temp gas lol

Nah He's a tougher cookie than that excuse. More like he's into the 1DXII so much he's forgotten about little 'ol mirrorless at least for now ;-)
Yup more like it. He got it yesterday I believe

Am joining back to a7ii club on 6th June. Getting a7ii with 28-70 kit lens along with Sony ziess 55mm and Sony 70-200 f4

Am joining back to a7ii club on 6th June. Getting a7ii with 28-70 kit lens along with Sony ziess 55mm and Sony 70-200 f4

Nice choice. So you're getting Fuji, Sony 7ii and keeping the Nikon? Could of bought an a7rii with all that GAS leaking.

LoL not allowed to keep it all Mrs letting me try them all for a few month then I got to have a clear out.

Then if I settle on Sony I upgrade the body not alter whole system again lol

You're barking made rookies :D Just don't ever get interested in sportscars :D

Apart from the manual dials I just don't get all the passion for the Fuji system... They compete with the A7 series (and a prime) for bulk but can't match the quality.

A7 and MFT works for me. You tempted to give that combination a go?

Last edited:

Apart from the manual dials I just don't get all the passion for the Fuji system... They compete with the A7 series (and a prime) for bulk but can't match the quality.

You never know pal lol

I've gut feeling I'll settle on the a7ii. Which MFT would you pair with it omd em10?

But I would rather try have one system and the a7 with the sony 55 is a nice smallish combo

You never know pal lol

I've gut feeling I'll settle on the a7ii. Which MFT would you pair with it omd em10?

But I would rather try have one system and the a7 with the sony 55 is a nice smallish combo

The Olympus have something like a 40-150mm 2.8 which is like 80-300mm. Good for wildlife @rookies

Cost, weight, lenses, size, ergonomics, quality, youre right, can't see the attraction. Lol.

Cost, weight, lenses, size, ergonomics, quality, youre right, can't see the attraction. Lol.
I know I've done this to death but put a nice prime on an X-T1 and it's the same size or a bit bigger than my A7 + 35 or 55 but IMO can't match the IQ and my MFT + prime (again IMO) push the Fuji's hard for IQ and I think better the Fuji's in the shadows whilst being smaller.

I do see the attraction but I lack the fan boy gene and to me they're just tools to do the job and when looking for a small CSC the Fuji's are for me stuck in the middle not offering the very compact size of MFT or the quality of the A7.

Lovely dials though.

Yup but there ISO level not good for a one system.

If you mean MFT is relatively poor at higher ISO's you may be surprised. If you have a look at the DR and ISO tests over at DPR and other sites or download the files and DIY the latter MFT cameras do well and better (for example) the X-T1 in some regards. I'd use MFT at any ISO up to and including 25,600. I don't shoot many shots at the max ISO but having it available gives the option of not shooting wide open and instead stopping down a little to get deeper depth of field. After minimal NR and downsizing for final output the results at more usual high ISO settings like 3200 and 6400 can be good. Certainly these cameras are so much better than anything I got from 35mm film.

I don't know if you've followed MFT at all but shutter shock has been an issue with some bodies and lenses and I've just run into it for the first time with a lens I recently bought. However, the latest bodies are better for avoiding this and in Panasonic land anything from the G7 and after is probably going to be ok. The G7 is a good camera.

PS.
Personally I'd forget aperture equivalence for DoF. IMO it's a massively overrated internet fanboy/forum issue. Any camera from MFT, APS-C or FF system is adequate for DoF IMO and if razor thin DoF is your aim (and it really shouldn't be) you can get it from any of these systems. The final razor thin DoF shot will be a little differently framed but IMO this issue is done to death and is pretty much an irrelevance especially when looking at the difference between MFT 2x v APS-C 1.5x.

Last edited:
I know I've done this to death but put a nice prime on an X-T1 and it's the same size or a bit bigger than my A7 + 35 or 55 but IMO can't match the IQ and my MFT + prime (again IMO) push the Fuji's hard for IQ and I think better the Fuji's in the shadows whilst being smaller.

I do see the attraction but I lack the fan boy gene and to me they're just tools to do the job and when looking for a small CSC the Fuji's are for me stuck in the middle not offering the very compact size of MFT or the quality of the A7.

Lovely dials though.

Yeah you have and I've posted images comparing the size and the equivalent lenses and the fuji is always smaller. Anyone can put a slow lens on a camera and say it's smaller. If your logic is bigger sensor is better then how can you say the m43 is better than the Fuji cmon make your mind up.

Have you even used a fuji?

That's the point of apsc. It sits in the middle. Dof isn't important to you but it is to others. Yes you can get shallow dof with m43 but it won't be like like for like. Longer lenses faster lenses to achieve the same thing.

M43 has the benefit of size and cost though and it's an excellent system.

Last edited:
Yeah you have and I've posted images comparing the size and the equivalent lenses and the fuji is always smaller. Anyone can put a slow lens on a camera and say it's smaller. If your logic is bigger sensor is better then how can you say the m43 is better than the Fuji cmon make your mind up.

Have you even used a fuji?

That's the point of apsc. It sits in the middle. Dof isn't important to you but it is to others. Yes you can get shallow dof with m43 but it won't be like like for like. Longer lenses faster lenses to achieve the same thing.

M43 has the benefit of size and cost though and it's an excellent system.

No point arguing with the woof on this matter, he won't listen. In my experience of owning all three systems, Sony has the better image quality but the Fooj is much nicer to use, and has better image quality than mft (the comment about shadows is not true in my experience).

Reactions: JYC
No point arguing with the woof on this matter, he won't listen. In my experience of owning all three systems, Sony has the better image quality but the Fooj is much nicer to use, and has better image quality than mft (the comment about shadows is not true in my experience).

I will have all 3 soon we'll not a MFT but a d750,Xt1 and a a7ii. Going use all three then try keep one if not 2 ha ha

Really like the XT-1.

Before buying my A7ii, I narrowed my choice to the Fuji and Sony. In the end the Sony won as I got on better with it - both great cameras in my opinion.

I agree the overall image quality is better on the Sony, but not enough to notice unless the same image was taken with both cameras and compared side by side.

Really like the XT-1.

Before buying my A7ii, I narrowed my choice to the Fuji and Sony. In the end the Sony won as I got on better with it - both great cameras in my opinion.

I agree the overall image quality is better on the Sony, but not enough to notice unless the same image was taken with both cameras and compared side by side.

I've gut feeling ill have the Sony and Fuji then sell Nikon

Yup, but a sensor doesn't make a system and the difference isn't that big in terms of iso. Both have their own characteristics that I like, Sony sharp for foliage which I don't do much of, fujis colour and especially skin tones.

Last edited:

I'll listen but I have a brain which I engage and I then make the best choice for me.

If you think there's a significant bulk saving if going for an X-T1 over an A7 then all fine and dandy :D I don't agree and I don't see a significant (if any) advantage there for the Fuji system and if wanting to go significantly smaller than my A7, which I sometimes want t do, I use my MTF kit. For me the A7 and MFT make a good team :D My A7 is for ultimate quality and for the luxury and experience of using manual lenses and MFT is for the most compact system when even my A7 is too much.

I have no problem with the Fuji system but as I've said for me it's piggy in the middle and loses out to my A7 for quality and MFT for compactness but that's just me.

My/your choice, my/your money :D

As to shadows and recovery the graphs and examples are there to be seen and process and you can make your own mind up. For me the A7 does better and the Fuji doesn't leave MFT far enough behind, if at all and I see advantages there for MFT. You don't. Fine.

I can see the appeal of the Fuji dials and to me they are an attraction but I think that they're the only attraction and on balance I'd rather change the settings how I do with MFT and Sony as for me it's more practical and leaves my left hand free to support the lens and change focal length and/or focus as required. Changing the aperture with my left hand is just one more thing to do and is arguably better done with my right index finger using the little dial at the front of the camera.

PS.
I used to think and I've said more than once that for many people maybe APS-C is a good piggy in the middle choice. I shot with Canon APS-C for 8 or nine years and I adapted well and actually going back to "FF" with the 5D took more getting used to than first picking up an APS-C DSLR.

These days luckily for me I have the luxury of being able to have any kit I want and for me having my luxury A7 and the even less obtrusive MFT kit is doable but if I had to have only one system I'd probably chose between APS-C and MFT. I'd go MFT or possibly the Sony A6000 system but I agree that the Fuji is a good choice, but it's just that for me it's choice number three behind the Sony A7 and MFT systems and actually if going APS-C I'd probably go for the Sony A6000 system.

Last edited:
I take a lot of photos you be surprise but I just don't share my work as much as you guys do

I had the x pro 1 then the xt-1, changed to the A7r and never looked back, for me much better than the Fuji. I also ran the D700 with the Fuji and A7r, but sold it when I bought the A7R2, which I still have and am very happy with the brilliant image quality, and the ability to crop is amazing.

BUT ............ I did have to re-buy into Nikon, I just missed the feel of that camera and the faith that I have that I will always get the shot when I was nervous of missing focus due to speed on the sony. I now use both about equally, but the Nikon is used more when I don't have to carry it around the mountains.

So having sold all my Nikon gear, I am back to having a D800, 70-200 vr2, sigma 35mm art and 85mm 1.4, just in case.

Another 24-70 would be nice :)

Last edited:
Back