The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Oh yes the Sony 55mm 1.8 Ziess is one hell of a lens..
I was looking for something that was as sharp as my old oly 45mm 1.8 which was one of my favourite lenses. This exceeds it.

lol, not at all surprised. The 55 is a great lens.

Nice dog btw :)

Cheers she's not in the best of health but still a reliable subject.

When I first got mine I tested it against my legacy 50mm's and tried to keep in mind the results I got from my Sigma 50mm f1.4 snd Canon 50mm f2.5, the Sony really impressed me with very surprising sharpness across the frame even at wide apertures.

It really is an excellent lens and when you consider how compact and relatively cheap it is it's doubly impressive :D

So true

im seriously debating selling all my canon gear now and just get the G master equivalent zooms for when i need the range or versatile for paid jobs.

With some info leaked on the new 5d4 it looks underwhelming next to my a7r2 :(

I literelly only use my 5d3 when i need to shoot with my 70-200 f2.8

Now its been out for a while what's people experience with the sigma mc11 adaptor and compatible lens? I have been using the sigma 24-105 f4 with mine and its become one of my favourite walk about combos. Looking at getting the sigma 35mm f1.4 as something very different.

Now its been out for a while what's people experience with the sigma mc11 adaptor and compatible lens? I have been using the sigma 24-105 f4 with mine and its become one of my favourite walk about combos. Looking at getting the sigma 35mm f1.4 as something very different.

You can read a lot here about Sigma MC-11 compatibility:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1418181/0

Also I am using Sony A7R II + Sigma MC-11 with:

- Canon EF 16-35 F4L IS
Example:
Red Lion pub in Leytonstone by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

- Sigma 35mm F/1.4 ART (canon mount) - For some reason this lens on Sony A7R II deliver amazing details - check this example bellow, taken just after sunset - F4, Handheld at 1/30
Example:
The Bloomsbury Tavern by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

- Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8 L II.
Example:
OGA Hiroyuki by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

- Canon EF 70-200 F4 L IS
Example:
ZSL London Zoo by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

- Sigma 120-300 F/2.8 (non IS version)
Example at 300mm wide open (F/2.8)
Fairies exist by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Actually I do not have any FE Sony lens. Probably is a good idea to buy some.

So, the Sigma MC-11 is working well, not problems.
I have shoot the Ace Cafe Stunt show at Wembley with Sony A7R II + Canon 24-70 II and Sigma 120-300 F/2.8 - not a problem at all (my panning technique is far from the best).

Conclusion (My opinion):
If you are shooting something faster than stunt bikes - you could have a problem, but generally Sony A7X does not have the best tracking focus in general.
If you are shooting landscapes, still life, street, models, fashion...not a problem at all.

Regards,
Kalin

Last edited:
Yes I am impressed with the mc11 so far, looking for a 70-200 f2.8 to go with it as I cannot justify the price of the Sony version at the moment.

I like many others do use a mount lenes, but you loose some functionality especially with some of the focus options and speed, and it depends very much on the adaptor being used.

Have you guys had any issue trying to process the A7II Raw (ARW) Images in Lightroom. I just upgraded to LR6 and its still not working. It imports the images no problem, and then I get an (!) when i try and edit them and it says 'Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo' ?
Im confused as I have read online anything after LR 5.7.1 should work?
Any advice?

Have you guys had any issue trying to process the A7II Raw (ARW) Images in Lightroom. I just upgraded to LR6 and its still not working. It imports the images no problem, and then I get an (!) when i try and edit them and it says 'Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo' ?
Im confused as I have read online anything after LR 5.7.1 should work?
Any advice?
I now have LR 5.7.1 and it still doesn't work.

Dunno... but you could consider converting the raws to DNG files, it's free.

Lr6 does work with Sony raw I once forgot converting to DNG on import.

The little! Symbol usually refers to the image not being in the catalog I think in some way you are not importing the image correctly plus as I can see the image it's not that the file is not read but that you can't manipulate it usually a catalog issue

Lr6 does work with Sony raw I once forgot converting to DNG on import.

The little! Symbol usually refers to the image not being in the catalog I think in some way you are not importing the image correctly plus as I can see the image it's not that the file is not read but that you can't manipulate it usually a catalog issue

I have deleted my catalog, and started again from scratch. I tried copying the file directly from the card, and that failed so I tried copying from the card to my desktop then adding that in LR, and still no luck.
The file does import, it just won't allow developments.

Dunno... but you could consider converting the raws to DNG files, it's free.

How do I do this? If its my only option I guess I'd have too?

It must be an update issue, have never had any issues with Lightroom cc.

I tried 5.7.1, and re updating a couple of times but again, still the same!

I have deleted my catalog, and started again from scratch. I tried copying the file directly from the card, and that failed so I tried copying from the card to my desktop then adding that in LR, and still no luck.
The file does import, it just won't allow developments.

I tried 5.7.1, and re updating a couple of times but again, still the same!
On the top of lightroom on the import screen you will see convert to dig on import

Re import i use iMac and your LR screen looks different than i have all i do is put my sd card in the back open LR and select import then select my SD card and where i want it stored just to mention again as you can see the image LR is recognising the file it seems more an issue of it can't locate it

Good luck

Not that it likely helps, but likewise use LR CC and can import RAWs without issue (aside from memory and storage space!!).

Does Bridge view them happily?

Adobe DNG is a free program, Google it and you'll see it.

If you have a camera that gives raws that your software wont open if you convert them to DNG files using the free Adobe software the chances are that your software will then open the files. I have Sony A7 and Panasonic GX7 and G7 and my CS5 will not open the raws but will open them once converted to DNG.

Adobe DNG is a free program, Google it and you'll see it.

If you have a camera that gives raws that your software wont open if you convert them to DNG files using the free Adobe software the chances are that your software will then open the files. I have Sony A7 and Panasonic GX7 and G7 and my CS5 will not open the raws but will open them once converted to DNG.

I have tried this just now and it works! Any loss with DNG Conversion?

Liam, are you using the newer uncompressed RAW files?

If so this could be the issue as don't think these are supported until version 6.2 (could be wrong, just what I've read).

EDIT - Here's how to check:
http://briansmith.com/sony-a7ii-firmware-update-fw-2-00-adds-pdaf-uncompressed-raw/

I read something similar yesterday, because the RAW is now a 14bit file no longer a 12 bit. I'll do some further digging.

You can read a lot here about Sigma MC-11 compatibility:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1418181/0

Also I am using Sony A7R II + Sigma MC-11 with:

- Canon EF 16-35 F4L IS
Example:
Red Lion pub in Leytonstone by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

- Sigma 35mm F/1.4 ART (canon mount) - For some reason this lens on Sony A7R II deliver amazing details - check this example bellow, taken just after sunset - F4, Handheld at 1/30
Example:
The Bloomsbury Tavern by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

- Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8 L II.
Example:
OGA Hiroyuki by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

- Canon EF 70-200 F4 L IS
Example:
ZSL London Zoo by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

- Sigma 120-300 F/2.8 (non IS version)
Example at 300mm wide open (F/2.8)
Fairies exist by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Actually I do not have any FE Sony lens. Probably is a good idea to buy some.

So, the Sigma MC-11 is working well, not problems.
I have shoot the Ace Cafe Stunt show at Wembley with Sony A7R II + Canon 24-70 II and Sigma 120-300 F/2.8 - not a problem at all (my panning technique is far from the best).

Conclusion (My opinion):
If you are shooting something faster than stunt bikes - you could have a problem, but generally Sony A7X does not have the best tracking focus in general.
If you are shooting landscapes, still life, street, models, fashion...not a problem at all.

Regards,
Kalin

Had a more detailed look at the lenes you have used, I am keen to try the sigma 35mm f1.4 and a canon 70-200mm f2.8 so good to see you have had very positive experiences. Also interested in the sigma 120-300mm f2.8 but this would be a luxury lenes for me as so the base version would be all I would go for.

Had a more detailed look at the lenes you have used, I am keen to try the sigma 35mm f1.4 and a canon 70-200mm f2.8 so good to see you have had very positive experiences. Also interested in the sigma 120-300mm f2.8 but this would be a luxury lenes for me as so the base version would be all I would go for.

Thank you.
I am quite happy with the Sigma MC-11.

I am considering to sell it soon ( Sigma 120-300 F/2.8) as I needed it for a specific project and now don't use it. The price will be 550 pounds (no postage incl.)
If you are in London you are welcome to to try it

By the way yesterday I tried it with the Sony A6000 + Sigma MC-11 + Sigma 35mm F/1.4 ART and it did quite good job (bright sunny day).
Example from this combo:
Ace cafe London by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Regards,
Kalin

I love my song A7ii and the images that it produces. I love its size, the handeling, and the glass I have for it. What I do not like at all is the focus speed and the auto mode.

I have a DSLR for doing wildlife photos and the A7 for days out, family shots etc. The photos when right are amazing and I love the detail and the FF look, BUT the amount of keepers I'm getting from the camera is really very low. Most of my shots are of my young lad or his cousins who do not sit still ever. The camera just seems to fail to keep up. It couldn't even keep up with a 7 week old puppy last week.

Also the auto mode is rubbish, I like to give my camera to my wife or other family members when out and about so everyone can have fun getting some photos, I always just stick it in auto and let them blast away. With the a7 the photos are either missed focus or the camera has selected a too slow shutter speed or something like that. Fine when I'm using it and just shove it in manual but the auto mode doesn't seem to work well at all.

Is it me? Any tips to improve? Or should I sell it and get a more action orientated compact like the A6300? I'm sure I'd miss the quality of the photos but at least I'd get the keepers.

I'd say 90% of my shots are kids/ dogs/ action and the remainder is posed shots (which the A7ii handles fine).

I love my song A7ii and the images that it produces. I love its size, the handeling, and the glass I have for it. What I do not like at all is the focus speed and the auto mode.

I have a DSLR for doing wildlife photos and the A7 for days out, family shots etc. The photos when right are amazing and I love the detail and the FF look, BUT the amount of keepers I'm getting from the camera is really very low. Most of my shots are of my young lad or his cousins who do not sit still ever. The camera just seems to fail to keep up. It couldn't even keep up with a 7 week old puppy last week.

Also the auto mode is rubbish, I like to give my camera to my wife or other family members when out and about so everyone can have fun getting some photos, I always just stick it in auto and let them blast away. With the a7 the photos are either missed focus or the camera has selected a too slow shutter speed or something like that. Fine when I'm using it and just shove it in manual but the auto mode doesn't seem to work well at all.

Is it me? Any tips to improve? Or should I sell it and get a more action orientated compact like the A6300? I'm sure I'd miss the quality of the photos but at least I'd get the keepers.

I'd say 90% of my shots are kids/ dogs/ action and the remainder is posed shots (which the A7ii handles fine).

Before you sell it, consider to try it more in a manual mode.
I am not sure if there is AUTO ISO setting on the A7 II - if yes - then just go and set speed 1/125 +, F/4+ and leave the AUTO ISO to deal with the light conditions.
May be many people will disagree with me, but my opinion is that you will find almost NO difference in the photos between the Sony A7 II and Sony A6300.
Of course A6300 has much better and improved focus system, so I guess it will deal with the fast moving kids much better.
But leaving the camera on Auto mode is no no for me - the camera is trying to analyse the situation and some times it just not working as you are expecting.
I am shooting almost every day different scenarios and still I am learning - I am not perfect - usually I have tons of unusable images, so .. it is normal :)

Regards,
Kalin

I can't remember the last time I used auto mode mostly because I don't understand it :D When handing the camera to someone else I'd either leave it in aperture priority or in the case of low light and too low a shutter speed I switch to manual and dial in more sensible settings and let the auto ISO float.

None of that helps with focus speed although for accuracy I'd be tempted to ignore any fancy focus modes and just leave it on centre spot so there's no chance the camera will focus on something it thinks is more interesting.

Reactions: WWA
"Known sources" say that a model above the A7 is comping and will "drop a huge bomb in the imaging industry." Oh er... That's fighting talk!

Read all about it...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/big-...ny-a99ii-zeiss-lenses-sony-stf/#disqus_thread

My prediction is... It'll be expensive :D but maybe not Leica expensive :D

The only thing missing on my A7r2 is the buffer rate. the rest i would welcome incremental upgrades but the major pain in the backside is the buffer rate! i cant shoot professional portraits with it :( Slows me down a lot.

I would take 1 frame every second or two and by the 4th or 5th frame it is clearing buffer and i cant see the results. Sometimes i cant even shoot more frames as the camera is maxed out trying to send the images onto the card

Back