The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

For me this come down to if you prefer a full frame or apsc camera and the strengths and weakness of each.

Well i hardly ever use my 72, always reach for the R2, but the 72 has IBIS, and the 6300 better focusing, decisions decisions.....

Have you ordered the 70-200? Does look very good from the reports I've seen

Yep, have mine on order but when it'll turn up is any bodies guess.
Yes most reviews/reports are extremely positive but the odd one complained about swirly bokeh.

The problem is do I keep my 70-200 f4 for a lighter option lol :)

It's a bit quiet in here...

Empty amusement arcade, just the lady in the booth chatting to someone. A7 with 35mm f2.8 at ISO 2,500.

No one bought anything or have any interesting or pretty pictures to post?

Last edited:
A couple from the weekend
28837298683_cffca1315e_h.jpg

29170678060_1d3a98a4a3_h.jpg

What lens for the Sony can focus close pls

Hello all you knowledgeable folk,

lets see if you guys can advise me on spending some money. I recently picked up a a7mkII and a 35 2.8 lens. Loving it so far but now at the point where I am considering adding to the lens collection. My main need will be a trip at the start of October to New York. I want to be able to have a wonder around and get some cityscapes and the odd photo of family on the holiday. If I could currently only add one lens to my bag, what would people recommend? For sake of not bankrupting me I'll say a £1k limit, which is the very very top end of my budget at this time. Many thanks for your help.

Hello all you knowledgeable folk,

lets see if you guys can advise me on spending some money. I recently picked up a a7mkII and a 35 2.8 lens. Loving it so far but now at the point where I am considering adding to the lens collection. My main need will be a trip at the start of October to New York. I want to be able to have a wonder around and get some cityscapes and the odd photo of family on the holiday. If I could currently only add one lens to my bag, what would people recommend? For sake of not bankrupting me I'll say a £1k limit, which is the very very top end of my budget at this time. Many thanks for your help.

16-35 f4 will be the lens you want for anything wide.

Sigma just announced six new Full Frame Cine E-mount lenses and two T/2.0 Super35 zooms! Full details about each single lens can be read at Sigmaphoto.com/cinema-lenses/:

• Sigma 18-35mm T2.0 (Super 35)
  • Sigma 50-100mm T2.0 (Super 35)
  • Sigma 24-35mm T2.2 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 20mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 24mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 35mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 50mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 85mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
And here is the full press text:

SIGMA ANNOUNCES NEW CINE LENSES

Amsterdam, The Netherlands — September 7, 2016 – The SIGMA CORPORATION is pleased to announce that it will enter into the cinema lens market with the release of its SIGMA CINE LENSES, designed specifically for cinematography. In the world of digital film production, there is an increasing demand for higher resolution, and SIGMA’s new lineup of high-performance lenses is compatible with the latest, high-resolution digital cinema cameras. SIGMA has developed its own production system by establishing the required technology for mass production of high-performance lenses for ultra-mega-pixel shooting.

The company feels this valuable new lens line could create a fundamental change in digital film production, and provide a new solution for cinematographers.

Unbeatable value – the highest optical performance in its class and outstanding compact design
Wide range of lenses for professional use
Optimized for the latest digital moviemaking technology
For the first phase, SIGMA will release two zoom lenses in Japan and the USA for EF and E mount camera systems. Furthermore, another zoom lens and five prime lenses will be released to the market in sequence from 2017 onward. SIGMA plans to develop additional zoom and prime lenses as well as add support for PL mount camera systems. The latest release information will be sequentially updated on its official website.

Sigma just announced six new Full Frame Cine E-mount lenses and two T/2.0 Super35 zooms! Full details about each single lens can be read at Sigmaphoto.com/cinema-lenses/:

• Sigma 18-35mm T2.0 (Super 35)
  • Sigma 50-100mm T2.0 (Super 35)
  • Sigma 24-35mm T2.2 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 20mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 24mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 35mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 50mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
  • Sigma 85mm T1.5 (Full Frame)
And here is the full press text:

SIGMA ANNOUNCES NEW CINE LENSES

Amsterdam, The Netherlands — September 7, 2016 – The SIGMA CORPORATION is pleased to announce that it will enter into the cinema lens market with the release of its SIGMA CINE LENSES, designed specifically for cinematography. In the world of digital film production, there is an increasing demand for higher resolution, and SIGMA’s new lineup of high-performance lenses is compatible with the latest, high-resolution digital cinema cameras. SIGMA has developed its own production system by establishing the required technology for mass production of high-performance lenses for ultra-mega-pixel shooting.

The company feels this valuable new lens line could create a fundamental change in digital film production, and provide a new solution for cinematographers.

Unbeatable value – the highest optical performance in its class and outstanding compact design
Wide range of lenses for professional use
Optimized for the latest digital moviemaking technology
For the first phase, SIGMA will release two zoom lenses in Japan and the USA for EF and E mount camera systems. Furthermore, another zoom lens and five prime lenses will be released to the market in sequence from 2017 onward. SIGMA plans to develop additional zoom and prime lenses as well as add support for PL mount camera systems. The latest release information will be sequentially updated on its official website.
Sounds a full range can't help pondering how much they might cost if they are a good price ie cheap :naughty: one might tempt me the Sony version makes my eyes water

I've been thinking of selling off some of my manual lenses, I don't use them much and I don't need Minolta, Olympus and Canon FD options at every focal length :D Anyway... I've just been looking at the prices on evil bay and I was a bit shocked for a couple of reasons - there aren't many examples of some of the lenses about and the prices of some have doubled since I last bought anything.

I think the most valuable ones I have will be 24mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.2 and 85mm but the prices of even the more common stuff like 50mm f1.8 / f1.4, 28mm f2.8 and 135mm lenses seem to be rising. I assume this is because of the rise of CSC.

Dunno if I will sell, I don't use them much but then again I don't need the money and if I do sell them the chances are I'd be too tight to buy them again if I change my mind in the future.

What are you lot doing with manual lenses and older kit in general? Hording or selling?

When I moved away from Canon DSLR's I sold a couple of lenses for more than I paid :D

Nice :D

I took the same shot years ago and only realised later that my then GF had the same shot framed on her wall by some famous photographer or other. My shot was taken on a grey flat day and unfortunately with people in the shot, I haven't retaken it yet but might one day.

Nice :D

I took the same shot years ago and only realised later that my then GF had the same shot framed on her wall by some famous photographer or other. My shot was taken on a grey flat day and unfortunately with people in the shot, I haven't retaken it yet but might one day.
Yep a popular location I joined English Heritage and that was my first free entry was very lucky catching any blue sky many of my other visits include rain testing an A7m2

This is my feeble effort, taken with my 300D and Sigma 28-300mm at 28mm, ISO 1600 and a conversion done in Silver Efex Pro. I suppose it's an accurate capture of the scene on the day but it's a picture I never look at but in my defence it was a crap day and you can't polish a you know what.

Last edited:
Fuji owners are starting to get their XT-2's mmmm where's our A9!!! Lol

Fuji owners are starting to get their XT-2's mmmm where's our A9!!! Lol

I sort of get the whole Fuji love in scene but the A7 system has nice lenses now and after thinking about it I think I'm over lusting after aperture and shutter dials as I think that the way others do it is actually better for shooting with. And other than the dials the ISO fiddling, raw cooking (although they maybe all do this to some extent but maybe not as much as Fuji) and bias towards JPEG shooting would irritate me.

Best off with an A7 or maybe an A9 :D

Hence why I stuck with Sony, deep down I know Sony will address most of the issues which people mention etc and want in a A9 body.
Let's hope they announce it this month. :)

Got to say the top shop for my taste is stunning if getting an FD lens would let me do black and white like that I would buy one sadly my efforts in b&w just don't blow me away

I was very glad I had f/2.0 and no mirror slap for that shot: wide open with -2.3 EC at ISO 800 and it was still 1/25 sec :confused:

Back