The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think it's close to the point of how sharp is sharp. My experience with the 70-200f4 on the a7rii was very positive in terms of image sharpness. I Could crop the hell out of it and still have a fine looking photo in terms of sharpness and detail on screen. I never thought that I was missing out on sharpness from that lens. Just the 2.8 of the gm would be nice.

Perhaps image sharpness between the two would become more obvious when printing large? I don't know.
I will be keeping a watchful eye on Sony's ongoing progress in the mirrorless market....... :D :eek: ;)

Guys wanted to ask a question

As some of you know I'm venturing into Manual focus land with a few old Minolta Lens, currently winging there way to me is

50mm F1.4
135mm F2.8

I have a specific quandary around Samyang Lens the new ones. as i own a D500 from Nikon as well, is there any reason why one would buy the FE version, do i actually gain anything, or would i be best suited to buy the Nikons version, and use the Fotodiox adaptor i have to fit it to the Sony.

Any advantages of native FE Samyangs, i presume they wont auto magnify like when you switch a proper AF lens to MF or do they ? I'm also thinking maybe i,ll get EXIF data with FE, with Nikon i don't. but that's by the by.

I do Lust after the 85mm GM but the cost of it is a lot and i feel for that i could spend wisely and get 3 if not more Manual Samyangs, which are pretty good if you shop smart.

Views ?

I guess it's a matter of taste, but I quite like the vignetting here as it adds some drama to the scene.
I like the picture too and on the general topic of vignetting, I hardly ever add it myself but one of my favourite pictures from my film days was taken with a Nikon 35mm SLR and a variable aperture standard range zoom and it has industrial quantities of the stuff. I still like it though and so do others :D

Why are Cine lens so expensive ? i was looking at Samyang primes the other day and there like 200 to 400 then soon as u hit the Cine ones your talking 1700 +. Somebody educate me :)

Why are Cine lens so expensive ? i was looking at Samyang primes the other day and there like 200 to 400 then soon as u hit the Cine ones your talking 1700 +. Somebody educate me :)

I'm sure I can't tell you everything but I think they're made better.

I think the "betterness" can include stuff like being better built and more able to stand up to more use and more pro use and abuse, being T stop instead of F and being more what it says rather than being in the region of, having less focus breathing and being more consistant both in physical build so that the lenses fit the same rigs and stuff and in optical performance and look so that lenses give the same look and the film maker doesn't get radically different colours and/or rendering when swapping one lens for another... and other technical stuff that makes stuff more expensive stuff...

If you Google something like "Why are cine lenses more expensive" or something like that you'll probably get a million pages to look at.

I gathered a bit from watching a YouTube vid about Cooke lenses.

I can't see myself caring about any of the tech and consistency between lenses stuff and I can't see myself ever owning a cine lens but I expect that plenty will care or maybe just be willing to pay the extra for a "better" lens, maybe :D

Last edited:
Yeah I would in the next month or two ;)

Unless something of mine dies, and I don't have much, I can't see me buying anything with a Sony badge... but after selling some stuff recently I am tempted by the FE 50mm macro :D

Anyone used one?

Hi guys, not been on for a while due to family matters, and as a result no classifieds privileges. I'm going to sell all my Sony gear, A7R2, A72, 85mm GM, 70-200 F4 G, 55 1.8, 35 2.8, 2 x safari 2 600 lights, 1 x Godox 600 TTL, X1 transmitter, 2 x Godox 850 flashes, shed loads of soft boxes etc, light stands, umbrellas, Lee big stopper, CPL, 2 x grads, and loads of other stuff.
Is there any way I can get onto the classifieds just to sell all this as my last post before having to give up photography for good?

Hi guys, not been on for a while due to family matters, and as a result no classifieds privileges. I'm going to sell all my Sony gear, A7R2, A72, 85mm GM, 70-200 F4 G, 55 1.8, 35 2.8, 2 x safari 2 600 lights, 1 x Godox 600 TTL, X1 transmitter, 2 x Godox 850 flashes, shed loads of soft boxes etc, light stands, umbrellas, Lee big stopper, CPL, 2 x grads, and loads of other stuff.
Is there any way I can get onto the classifieds just to sell all this as my last post before having to give up photography for good?
New rules so get some posts in and it'll reappear in no time.

...before having to give up photography for good?

Golly.

Why are you giving up photography?

I don't have much time for taking pictures these days and me and GF are (hopefully) getting married this year so I'll have even less time but I wont be completely giving up.

Looking for a cheapish adaptable FF wide angle, around 17-18mm for the A7R, does anyone have any suggestions?

Slightly longer there's the Tokina/Cosina/Vivitar 19-35mm and there's a cheap Canon 20-35mm USM. I had one of those and the only real issue was distortion which was pretty epic but maybe not an issue with todays software. There's also the Sigma 20mm f1.8 which I also had and thought was very good. Another I've had is the not so cheapish Sigma 12-24mm which IMO is a stunning lens.

Last edited:
Golly Gosh :D

And here's me wondering if I should buy a humble FE 50mm f2.8.

Had to have quite the clear out to gather the funds.

I haven't used that macro lens. It's a little short on focal length for macro for my liking so I'd imagine it does quite well on apsc bodies.

Had to have quite the clear out to gather the funds.

I haven't used that macro lens. It's a little short on focal length for macro for my liking so I'd imagine it does quite well on apsc bodies.

I used to have a Sigma 150mm that I liked a lot and I now have an old manual Sigma 50mm macro for an equivalent field of view of 100mm on MFT and although it's a little short it just about gets me what I want.

What attracts me to the FE 50mm macro is that I like to shoot flowers, leaves and any other interesting stuff I spot when I'm out and about and the 50mm macro would therefore be an ok lens for use as a walkabout and for shooting the odd close up whilst out and about.

I'm just a bit nervous of buying yet another thing I've never handled.

I used to have a Sigma 150mm that I liked a lot and I now have an old manual Sigma 50mm macro for an equivalent field of view of 100mm on MFT and although it's a little short it just about gets me what I want.

What attracts me to the FE 50mm macro is that I like to shoot flowers, leaves and any other interesting stuff I spot when I'm out and about and the 50mm macro would therefore be an ok lens for use as a walkabout and for shooting the odd close up whilst out and about.

Read many reviews? Sounds like it will suit your needs.

Read many reviews? Sounds like it will suit your needs.

I haven't actually found many.

I might have to sit down and trawl the net/youtube.

I used to have a Canon 50mm f2.5 and I imagine the Sony being similar... a good lens but slow to focus.

Alan why don't you try Wex or Amazon to purchase who have a no quibble 30 day money back guarantee. I have been chopping and changing lenses due to my disabilities and heart attack and have been using Wex and they have been excellent with me. As long as it shows minimal use for testing you can return no problems within the 30 days.

Theres a reason they offer this service so don't feel guilty about using it. They have enough of my money anyway;)

Is this the lens? > http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...duct=1606390&gclid=cj2a4qba6tecfeiw7qod1d0a-g

Alan why don't you try Wex or Amazon to purchase who have a no quibble 30 day money back guarantee. I have been chopping and changing lenses due to my disabilities and heart attack and have been using Wex and they have been excellent with me. As long as it shows minimal use for testing you can return no problems within the 30 days.

Theres a reason they offer this service so don't feel guilty about using it. They have enough of my money anyway;)

Is this the lens? > http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...duct=1606390&gclid=cj2a4qba6tecfeiw7qod1d0a-g

Simon, you must be some sort of GENIOUS!

Thank you for suggesting the bleeedin' obvious that just hadn't occurred to dozy me!

And yes, Wex have had so much of my money I get invites to the company do. Well, nearly... :D

If I do it like this I think I'd go for Wex as isn't some Amazon stuff grey import rather than UK stock? Maybe I'm doing them a disservice but I think I read that somewhere and maybe it doesn't matter anyway if it is.

Thanks Simon.
:D

PS.
Yes. That's the lens I'm thinking about.

Last edited:
Simon, you must be some sort of GENIOUS!

Thank you for suggesting the bleeedin' obvious that just hadn't occurred to dozy me!

And yes, Wex have had so much of my money I get invites to the company do. Well, nearly... :D

If I do it like this I think I'd go for Wex as isn't some Amazon stuff grey import rather than UK stock? Maybe I'm doing them a disservice but I think I read that somewhere and maybe it doesn't matter anyway if it is.

Thanks Simon.
:D

PS.
Yes. That's the lens I'm thinking about.

If you buy from Amazon themselves it's usually UK stock, but I have heard of the odd comment when people have gone to register their lens/body (applies to all manufacturer's) saying it's not and its come in from the EU. I have never had a problems myself. The only time you have to watch is the Marketplace sellers on Amazon as their more likely to have grey stock.

Amazon have it for the same price as Wex. See where it states " Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Gift-wrap available." it's this you need to look at, as sometimes there will be fulfilled by Amazon and they are usually grey items.> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-50mm-...id=1485803744&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+50mm+macro

Or you can look at the linked page, which you get directed from the main page where it states "4 new from £499.00" which will take you to all the sellers of the particular item > https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01LDII0VS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Hope that makes sense.

I

As you're a fan of manual lenses, and macro tends to be MF anyway - that Bokina I bought it seriously impressive if you can get hold of one. Sharp enough to cut yer finger and lovely to use too, bit weighty but not unmanageable.

Saw a great review of both the 5d4 and a7r2 and its as if he read my mind about both pros and cons for each camera! This is why I shoot with both

Back