The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think someone left the door open again... the riff raff are getting in!

Chris, if you have a D750 you must find it quite a disappointment after the G1?

:D
lol had Alan,sold it a year or so ago, but just observed the 750 thread is steady though nothing like it was 12 months ago

lol had Alan,sold it a year or so ago, but just observed the 750 thread is steady though nothing like it was 12 months ago

Ah, that was a good camera and it served me well. I hope it went to a good home.
Ah again, just reread and I assume you sold the Nikon? Still got the G1 then????

Last edited:
I'm looking for a "longer" lens to go with my existing kit (which peaks at the 70mm on the 24-70). I'm off to Berlin for a week and can see a few opportunities for taking longer focal length shots from the TV Tower and some other viewpoints. I've looked at the native options and realistically I'm probably looking at a zoom which means the 70-200 f4 or 70-300 FE but is anyone using any other non-native lenses at a good price point? I'm not too bothered if I have to pickup a Canon or Sony adapter as I'm sure I might try other lenses from them in future.

I'd love to just buy the Sony 85 f1.8 or Batis 85/Loxia 85 but I'm not sure thats going to be long enough and its not really much more than the 70mm end of the 24-70.....

Ah, that was a good camera and it served me well. I hope it went to a good home.
Ah again, just reread and I assume you sold the Nikon? Still got the G1 then????
correct, but unfortunately I sold the G1 also, regretted it for a while though, went to a friend if I'm not mistaken,ive been through so much gear recently I'm having a break :)

I'm looking for a "longer" lens to go with my existing kit (which peaks at the 70mm on the 24-70). I'm off to Berlin for a week and can see a few opportunities for taking longer focal length shots from the TV Tower and some other viewpoints. I've looked at the native options and realistically I'm probably looking at a zoom which means the 70-200 f4 or 70-300 FE but is anyone using any other non-native lenses at a good price point? I'm not too bothered if I have to pickup a Canon or Sony adapter as I'm sure I might try other lenses from them in future.

I'd love to just buy the Sony 85 f1.8 or Batis 85/Loxia 85 but I'm not sure thats going to be long enough and its not really much more than the 70mm end of the 24-70.....

70200 f4 sounds ideal, smaller, lighter.... cheaper. Buying the Canon and adapter will likely cost more and be slower and larger incl adapter. No point. Stay native this time round imo.

Last edited:
correct, but unfortunately I sold the G1 also, regretted it for a while though, went to a friend if I'm not mistaken,ive been through so much gear recently I'm having a break :)
I sometimes miss that camera. They're old tech now but there's something about the look of the pictures at ISO 100-400 that I like.

I still have a GX7 and a GX80 but although they're almost certainly better cameras I can't say that the pictures have the G1's charm. The G1 has charms like an old lens :D

I had a couple of copies of the 24-70 f4 a few years back, there seems to be huge sample variation, if you get a good one its a good lens, not as good as the f2.8 but good. However if you get a bad one its truly awful.
Thanks Chris looks like I will give it a miss. Like I said quite fancy the latest version but can't justify the price myself.

The 70-200 f4 really is good, it is only the extra stop it's missing, and I love mine. (That doesn't mean that at some point I won't trade it for the f2.8 version!!!)

I have the FE70-300, I did have the Canon 70-200L f4 lens with an adaptor the focus was OK but a bit sluggish and the lens with adaptor was quite long.
I love the 70-300, it's shorter than the FE70-200, so compact and easier to carry, the IQ is excellent, possibly not quite up to the FE70-200 although I think it would be nit picking to spot any real world differences.
I can recommend it totally, lovely lens.

Last edited:
A few hours ago.
Somewhere in Camberwell on a route 45
Just before midnight.

Shot through the glass (double decker bus)
Sony A7R II + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 50mm F/1.4
Very strange combination, as the lens hunts from time to time and struggle with the AF. I think in AF-C it focuses better.
By the way the bus was moving.

London by night by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

I'd highly recommend the FE 70-200 f4 G if you can afford it, it's razor sharp which can easily give you a 300mm cropping ability.
Check out the heavy crops of the planes.

https://flickr.com/photos/39891775@N05/sets/72157645949808315

I also used it a lot at the Tour de Yorkshire bike races, also on my Flickr.

Last edited:
oh no here we go again :)

Again? I've only switched once but I guess it could seem like I've done it multiple times ;)

My entire camera history which may surprise some....

Nikon D40
Fuji X100
Nikon D7000
Sony A7
Sony A7II
Sony A7RII
Fuji XT-2

And back to Sony once I have decided on a body and done some number crunching.

So a total of only 8 bodies in my life-time, hardly a big GAS problem :D

Again? I've only switched once but I guess it could seem like I've done it multiple times ;)

My entire camera history which may surprise some....

Nikon D40
Fuji X100
Nikon D7000
Sony A7
Sony A7II
Sony A7RII
Fuji XT-2

And back to Sony once I have decided on a body and done some number crunching.

So a total of only 8 bodies in my life-time, hardly a big GAS problem :D

Yes i agree not too many changes ,more i was thinking the cost of your change ;) you buy the good expensive stuff

Last edited:
Yes i agree not too many changes ,more i was thinking the cost of your change ;) you buy the good expensive stuff

Very true but luckily a bought most of my last Sony stuff pre-brexit, it also included a healthy discount which resulted in no loss to move to Fuji.
I may lost something on the Fuji gear hence the number crunching... :D

I forgot it doesn't have a filter thread though, the 16-35 takes 82mm which is handy, although I suspect 100mm filters probably wouldn't be wide enough on that one at 16mm

I think people with the Sigma 12-24mm used to hold or blutac filters to the inbuilt lens hood. I used mine a few times with the bucket in place and a filter holder screwed to it but of course it only stopped vignetting at the longer lengths, I can't remember exactly at what length though but probably 20mm plus. Maybe there'll be similar workarounds for the Sony.

Amazon have the FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM on for around £2250, so a £250 saving if anybody is looking :D

I watched a review of the A7ii and the guy stated that to change the focus point you have to go into the menu? Is this correct? The review is quite old though so perhaps it's been rectified with a firmware update?

I watched a review of the A7ii and the guy stated that to change the focus point you have to go into the menu? Is this correct? The review is quite old though so perhaps it's been rectified with a firmware update?

No, that's not quite right :D

On my MK1 A7 to move the focus point I press a button to call it up and then use the four buttons on the back to move it left / right / up and down. I'm pretty sure that on the MK2 it's the same.

Yeah like Alan said you basically press a button which activates the af movement then you can move the point.... with your Nikon you just press the d pad side arrow and it moves. Basically 2 step process vs 1... I think the a7rii and a9 allow a 1 step process now though although I may be wrong.

Yeah like Alan said you basically press a button which activates the af movement then you can move the point.... with your Nikon you just press the d pad side arrow and it moves. Basically 2 step process vs 1... I think the a7rii and a9 allow a 1 step process now though although I may be wrong.
Still two steps on A7R2. You got to put it on af selection mode. A9 ofncours is a has a dedicated joystick that u can even use as a back button focus

That sucks. I hate 2 step.
Yup. It's the end of the world or if it isn't it stops you using the camera as that extra button push makes it absolutely useless :D

But at least having to press a button and then move your finger / thumb 5mm isn't usually fatal and does prevent accidental movement of the focus point... which can of course be positioned anywhere right up to the very edge of the frame far beyond what's possible with any DSLR. AFAIK :D

Last edited:
Yup. It's the end of the world or if it isn't it stops you using the camera as that extra button push makes it absolutely useless :D

But at least having to press a button and then move your finger / thumb 5mm isn't usually fatal and does prevent accidental movement of the focus point.

Nope, for you it's fine, your imagery is slow, for me it's a pita, that second makes a big difference, just like you can live with mf and slow af. I've never accidentally moved the af point... you need to press the button pretty hard to do that.

See Alan... I'm not generalising... that's why I said I hate, not we all hate.

Last edited:
Back