The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Translation for @twist if you're not prepared to pay through the nose for the latest equipment like Jonney, regardless of the actual quality of your output, then you might as well just use a mobile phone.
Can't criticise Jonney's output though... one think he knows is how to take lovely pictures.

@Jonney I've never said I won't buy the a7r2, there will be a time... just not today. If I pick up all the stuff for the right money then I'll try it but I'm not buying to lose if it doesn't work out.

My days of buying gear for the sake of it are over. I've owned 45+ cameras over the last few years for the fun of it. Can't be bothered with the process anymore.
I have to agree, it has to be at the right price, being from Yorkshire I always try and ensure its the right price lol, some may think I have GAS but I have only ever owned the following 7 camera's....

Nikon D40
Fuji X100
Nikon D7000
Sony A7
Sony A7II
Sony A7RII
Fuji XT-2

:)

Well I've ordered a Batis from some chap in America I now just have to hope the lovely guy sends me it.

Why America? I've only ordered from there once and I got stuck with a customs charge. Maybe it's a gamble but unless the lens was rare and cheap I wouldn't buy from the USA again.

Why America? I've only ordered from there once and I got stuck with a customs charge. Maybe it's a gamble but unless the lens was rare and cheap I wouldn't buy from the USA again.
Fair point.... but if the package is marked as a gift maybe there is no charge? :D

good choise on the batis 85.

Its an amazing lens and have done some portrait work with it.

@twist thats cool dont worry all is well. apologise if im too bias or demanding at times to you. You seem like a good lad and would love to grab a pint with u one day

@dancook sorry if i was the same with u as with twist and bashing leica. Its a nice camera. well built with great colour output but its not a camera for me. Enjoy it and dont mind me.

@woof woof 6d2 looks ok but if you use a 5d4 like me then its not really worth considering. I wish canon had 4k on all there cameras with C-Log. It wont eat up on there C line video cameras as those have a much higher bitrate and shoot raw footages. thats two huge benefits over just 4k and c-log.

Nothing really stands out but no doubt it will be a great upgrade for existing 6D owners.

The thing that stands out to me is the snails pace development.

If this was a mirrorless camera we'd expect and probably get quite a slice of new goodness but this seems a little underwhelming.

If this was a mirrorless camera we'd expect and probably get quite a slice of new goodness but this seems a little underwhelming.

Canon don't need to do anything fancy. it will sell well, and thats all they need to do.

Personally all these gizmos and gimmicks on mirrorless camera leaves me cold, as do the cameras.

I own Sony (A7R) and Leica (Q, M7,MM1, M10). I've tried the SL in the store - it's really a pro camera and not for carrying around for long, weighs 2kg. The really annoying thing about the four Leica are that they are completely different and I could not get rid of any. The Q, M10 and SL use versions of the same processing and menu software, developed with Panasonic. It makes using the M10 a dream. I find Sony software a nightmare, Fuji is better but Leica/Panasonic have nailed it. I think Panasonic have the patents on the SL zoom lenses as it is their tech, Leica haven't done zoom AF lenses for decades. Leica get bespoke sensors made for them, little is known about and by whom. Personally I consider Leica bodies are as much a means to use good lenses, including Zeiss and Voightlander, as well as vintage Leica M and R, which work very well on the A7R. My main complaint with the A7R is unreliable focus-peaking, the M10 is spot on.

Last edited:
Customs from the US is pretty strict, if it's with a courier (dhl/fedex) highly likely to get stung.

Fair point.... but if the package is marked as a gift maybe there is no charge? :D

I've asked it to be marked as a gift I think I'm paying £550 for it so if I do get stung it's grey import price. Can't find one for less than £750 on the bay so I'll take the chance.

I'm not sure how you can say that, it's more advanced in every way.

Canon don't need to do anything fancy. it will sell well, and thats all they need to do.

Personally all these gizmos and gimmicks on mirrorless camera leaves me cold, as do the cameras.

Maybe you could buy one of the older Sony's with overheating issues?

I was a Canon owner for years but not as long as I was a Nikon owner.

I moved to mirrorless for the size and weight advantages and if DSLR's were the bulk and weight of SLR's then I may be still using them but they're not and I'm not. It was only once I bought mirrorless that I realised the non size and weight advantages of the gizmos and now I wouldn't be without the in view focus and exposure aids, the 100% VF coverage, being able to focus anywhere within the frame not just in the central area, being able to fully visualise the scene and the image I was going to capture rather than guessing and chimping... etc... the list goes on. Mirrorless connects me with the scene, DSLR's isolate me from it. Going back to a DSLR would be like having an arm cut off and an eye gouged out.

Last edited:
I've just noticed the cashback deals on Sony A7x at the mo. The A7 is £699 :D I know it's older tech now but I think that's fantastic value for a FF camera that's perfectly useable for everyday casual none fast moving stuff.

A7II, £1149.

Last edited:
I've just noticed the cashback deals on Sony A7x at the mo. The A7 is £699 :D I know it's older tech now but I think that's fantastic value for a FF camera that's perfectly useable for everyday casual none fast moving stuff.

A7II, £1149.

Yeah, a Sony A7, Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and the 55mm f1.8 as a tidy little portable travel kit :)

Yeah, a Sony A7, Zeiss 35mm f2.8 and the 55mm f1.8 as a tidy little portable travel kit :)

I keep looking at Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 MC and 50mm f1.1.

I have Rokkor, Zuiko and FD lenses and too much duplication. I could go for the Voigtlanders and keep just one 24, 28, 85 and 135 and maybe the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 because it's tiny. I've always liked the look of these Voigtlanders but stupidly sold the only one I've had, a 35mm color skopar.

There's a lesson there... never sell anything.

Maybe you could buy one of the older Sony's with overheating issues?

I was a Canon owner for years but not as long as I was a Nikon owner.

I moved to mirrorless for the size and weight advantages and if DSLR's were the bulk and weight of SLR's then I may be still using them but they're not and I'm not. It was only once I bought mirrorless that I realised the non size and weight advantages of the gizmos and now I wouldn't be without the in view focus and exposure aids, the 100% VF coverage, being able to focus anywhere within the frame not just in the central area, being able to fully visualise the scene and the image I was going to capture rather than guessing and chimping... etc... the list goes on. Mirrorless connects me with the scene, DSLR's isolate me from it. Going back to a DSLR would be like having an arm cut off and an eye gouged out.

I don't need to buy an older Sony, I can buy an A9 and bask in the glory of having the most expensive handwarmer ever made!!

At the end of the day its still just an exposure meter metering a scene and capturing it on the sensor. All the gizmos running around the viewfinder doesn't alter that. You end up with an image that wont be markedly different to the same scene taken with another make of camera.

How pocketable is an a7ii with something like the 35 f2.8.

I have my D750s for weddings but considering a x100f. Never put much thought into Sony but the a7ii is not that much more used or grey.

I don't need to buy an older Sony, I can buy an A9 and bask in the glory of having the most expensive handwarmer ever made!!

At the end of the day its still just an exposure meter metering a scene and capturing it on the sensor. All the gizmos running around the viewfinder doesn't alter that. You end up with an image that wont be markedly different to the same scene taken with another make of camera.

But I'm more likely to have the A7 with me because compared to my old Canon's it's tiny and middle aged women don't point at me and say "Look at that P**** with a camera!"

I'd agree that the images are no better (pixel peeping aside and unless you're using an older Canon and try to boost the shadows, then you're likely to hit trouble) but my keeper rate is much better despite my expectations and standards rising because I'm much more likely to get the picture that I want first time, that was even true of my Panny G1 when I compared it to my 5D and it's even truer with the A7. And then of course there are the things that take a page of waffle to try and define that I'll sum up as best I can by saying that for me mirroless photography is much more involving, engaging, enjoyable and rewarding than the more conventional DSLR experience.

If it's not for you then it's not for you but maybe you might change your mind in time especially if the market goes that way and you have mirrorless more or less thrust upon you. Having lived in the SLR/DSLR world for decades I'd now hate to go back even if a DSLR could match the bulk and weight of an SLR and even if middle aged women stopped being so judgemental.

:D

I keep looking at Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 MC and 50mm f1.1.

I have Rokkor, Zuiko and FD lenses and too much duplication. I could go for the Voigtlanders and keep just one 24, 28, 85 and 135 and maybe the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 because it's tiny. I've always liked the look of these Voigtlanders but stupidly sold the only one I've had, a 35mm color skopar.

There's a lesson there... never sell anything.

The 35 Color Skopar is a superb lens, my son's everyday lens.
The other really excellent Voightlander is the 75/f1.8 Heliar Classic. Brilliant optics. A great portrait lens, I bought it to do a family party in poor light as I hate using flash. This is one of the first images I took with it, at f/1.8.

L9991406.jpg

Some of the wider and faster Voightlander's are optically poor.

Last edited:
How pocketable is an a7ii with something like the 35 f2.8.

I have my D750s for weddings but considering a x100f. Never put much thought into Sony but the a7ii is not that much more used or grey.

I wouldn't say these cameras are pocketable unless you are on the big side and have a big winter coat. My A7+35mm f2.8 is just about winter coat pocketable but I much prefer to carry it in a small camera bag or man bag.

Have you used this size compare thingy...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#579.394,567,ha,t

Last edited:
The 35 Color Skopar is a superb lens, my son's everyday lens.
The other really excellent Voightlander is the 75/f1.8 Heliar Classic. Brilliant optics. A great portrait lens, I bought it to do a family party in poor light as I hate using flash. This is one of the first images I took with it, at f/1.8.

View attachment 104962

Great stuff but there is the psychological barrier to get over of moving from 85 to 75mm :D It may be silly :D

The topic regarding the Sony system's weight and size comes up quite often and its usually compared to the DSLR's.
So I thought a quick comparison between the Sony A9 and Nikon D5 might interest people.

Sony A9 incl SD Card and Battery 673g
Sony A9 Grip 272g
Sony A9 Battery 83g
Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM 820g
Sony FE 16-35mm f2.8 GM 680g
Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM 886g
Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8GM 1480g
Total weight 4894g

Nikon D5 incl XQD Cards and Battery 1405g
Nikkor 85mm f1.4 595g
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 1000g
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 VR 1070g
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR 1430g
Total weight 5500g

Weight difference 606g​

The topic regarding the Sony system's weight and size comes up quite often and its usually compared to the DSLR's.
So I thought a quick comparison between the Sony A9 and Nikon D5 might interest people.

Sony A9 Grip 272g
Sony A9 Battery 83g
Total weight 4894g

Nikkor 85mm f1.4 595g
Total weight 5500g

Weight difference 606g​

Which goes to prove that it's only the body that makes the difference as the glass is physcally smilar is dimensions and weight.

Sony A9 Grip 272g
Sony A9 Battery 83g
Total weight 4894g

Nikkor 85mm f1.4 595g
Total weight 5500g

Weight difference 606g​

Good thing a sigma art 85 wasn't the choice. Not quite sure what happened with that design but its gigantic

Sony A9 Grip 272g
Sony A9 Battery 83g
Total weight 4894g

Nikkor 85mm f1.4 595g
Total weight 5500g

Weight difference 606g​
And you could leave your battery grip home for extra weight saving if just out and about shooting .

half the time i dont use my battery grip on my a7r2.

Which goes to prove that it's only the body that makes the difference as the glass is physcally smilar is dimensions and weight.

I think you have to look at what suits you and what matters to you.

For example I tend to like the 35/50mm FoV which I think plays to the strengths of CSC's and makes for a more compact and lighter package which is what I want. If however you prefer a gripped camera and a 400mm lens then it could be a less clear if not completely different outcome.

Check this out!

Budapest stag doo-718.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

no need for G master 24-70 hehe. It nailed focus in dark landscape conditions and look how sharp it is thanks to IBIS. no tripod was used

Nice, shot on the A7RII? What settings?
I wonder how much worse the Sony A9 is in real-world situations compared against the mighty 42.2mp A7RII?
@jonneymendoza have you had a chance to compared low, mid and high ISO photos against the too? Big difference in the real world?

Great stuff but there is the psychological barrier to get over of moving from 85 to 75mm :D It may be silly :D

My favourite lens is a 1980s 90mm Leica Tele-Elmarit. I bought it off a guy on eBay, he inherited it from his dad who bought it new, so one careful owner. Cost me £300, but got it cleaned and recallibrated. They are very easy to get hold of.
It is absolutely minute and weighs only 225g for a solid metal unit. The non-Tele 90mm lenses are bigger and heavier (350 to 400g).
http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/90mm-lenses.htm
It works brilliantly on my A7R. Another example:
28974299231_3e3fe68bee_k.jpg

Last edited:
But I'm more likely to have the A7 with me because compared to my old Canon's it's tiny and middle aged women don't point at me and say "Look at that P**** with a camera!"

I'd agree that the images are no better (pixel peeping aside and unless you're using an older Canon and try to boost the shadows, then you're likely to hit trouble) but my keeper rate is much better despite my expectations and standards rising because I'm much more likely to get the picture that I want first time, that was even true of my Panny G1 when I compared it to my 5D and it's even truer with the A7. And then of course there are the things that take a page of waffle to try and define that I'll sum up as best I can by saying that for me mirroless photography is much more involving, engaging, enjoyable and rewarding than the more conventional DSLR experience.

If it's not for you then it's not for you but maybe you might change your mind in time especially if the market goes that way and you have mirrorless more or less thrust upon you. Having lived in the SLR/DSLR world for decades I'd now hate to go back even if a DSLR could match the bulk and weight of an SLR and even if middle aged women stopped being so judgemental.

:D

I've always got an open mind. When the system has developed to the point where it offers me what i need then I would look into it further and if i thought it was beneficial i would consider changing. If i was a landscape photographer I would have an A7IIR without hesitation but I'm not so it would be a bit pointless to run another system alongside my Canons for the odd occasion that I take a landscape. As I get older i find carrying a big camera and lens a bit wearing sometimes after 4 or 5 miles but the weight difference for my needs is insignificant with regards to the total weight.

Back