The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

That is very true. That US dude had his shutter go after 20k-30k on the a7rii and it cost him 460usd to fix... Canikon is free or 250usd.

Surprised he didn't push for it to be done for free or at reduced cost as apparently they shutter has a 200 or 500k rating. :)

Surprised he didn't push for it to be done for free or at reduced cost as apparently they shutter has a 200 or 500k rating. :)

That doesn't mean anything. Luck of the draw. You aren't warranted out of regular usage and warranty period. No matter what the marketing says, it could be 1 million, but you couldn't take that in 12 months.

Tbf it's only Nikons consumer stuff that really has an issue as of late. I guess having cameras half the price of their main rival is difficult to continue but they need to address it. Free shutter no matter what count for the life of the product ain't bad. How's that specky evf?
Not as specky as your ovf will be :D

Shame Nikon DSLR recalls don't get you air miles.

Last edited:
Only my old ass 5d had specks, 5 mins to clean. Dead pixels not so much ;)
I'd rather clean a sensor than try and dismantle to clean a pentaprism, or evf for that matter. Dead pixies in evf's are a non issue as they are mapped out. Every slr/dslr I've ever used has at one time or another had crap on or behind the focus screen or elsewhere in the optical path and I do tend to doubt the word of any owner who insists their camera is immune.

I'd rather clean a sensor than try and dismantle to clean a pentaprism, or evf for that matter. Dead pixies in evf's are a non issue as they are mapped out. Every slr/dslr I've ever used has at one time or another had crap on or behind the focus screen or elsewhere in the optical path and I do tend to doubt the word of any owner who insists their camera is immune.

You shouldn't have bought such crap dslrs then ;) how many weather proof did you own again? What was it.... 0?

Have yours mapped out?

What would lies achieve on the internet Alan, don't be an ass.

Last edited:
If someone is able to give me a mirrorless system with good affordable lenses like on DSLRs and with a good sensor I'd swap overnight (come on Nikon you can do this!!)

EOS-M has got the excellent small affordable lenses sorted but thier sensor is soooo last decade :D

Last edited:
If someone is able to give me a mirrorless system with good affordable lenses like on DSLRs and with a good sensor I'd swap overnight (come on Nikon you can do this!!)

EOS-M has got the excellent small affordable lenses sorted but thier sensor is soooo last decade :D
The eos m has terrible lenses!

Hello, i guess i can officially join this thread now. I've got my A6500 + 18-105 on it's way after much deliberation!

Firstly, i've been in and out of photography for about 14 years, got my 10D (first proper camera) in 2004 (i think), and stuck with Canon for ages (up to 60D). Then i switched to M43 as i got fed up of lugging loads of gear about, i kept going through phases of when i sold all my gear, i missed it, so bought again, then on, and on, you get it!

Anyway, i switched to M43 as i said with the Olympus OM-D, E-M10, which was nice and portable, but i couldn't get on with it, no idea why, it's a cracking camera! I sold that, and recently, again, i was missing a camera.

I'm going back to Bangkok in 8 weeks, and then on to New Zealand (3rd time), but this time, to live, so i want to document my new surroundings. At first, i was looking at something small that records 4K as i'm looking at video these days too, so considered the Panasonic TZ100, then i started looking at aternatives, and found myself in the Sony shop in Carlisle, i looked at the RX100, but then then i started looking at the A7R2, but that was way out of budget, saw the A72, really liked that, and started weighing up the pros and cons of 4k video or full frame sensor, but 4K was an important factor for me, so i looked at the A6300, had a good play, took some sample images and 4k footage on a SD i had on me, the size was nice, not too big with the 16-50 kit lens. I took the SD card home, checked the pics and footage, liked the quality, did some more research and decided as i will be taking video, the IBIS and touch to focus would be a worthwhile upgrade, so opted for the A6500 and the 18-105 looks like a very decent all rounder to get me going! It should be here tomorrow i hope :D

So now, i've got a wish list to add to my new kit...

A good prime (50mm F/1/8?)
10-18 UWA
Flash/kit - looking at the Godox as they seem to get good reviews for a very reasonable price...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-P...TF8&qid=1501053403&sr=8-8&keywords=godox+sony

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-V860...TF8&qid=1501053403&sr=8-9&keywords=godox+sony

I think i'd prefer the latter and just add to it as it takes rechargeable battery rather than AA's. Though, any advice would be good?

I can't wait to get going again :D

The eos m has terrible lenses!

I disagree. They might be slow but they are all sharp wide open and better than Sony equivalent.

The 11-22mm is probably the sharpest APS-C UWA wide open across the range. sharper, smaller and much cheaper than Sony 10-18mm.

The 22mm/2 is sharper, smaller and LOT cheaper than Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 and also the comparatively rubbish 20mm/2.8.

The 55-200mm once again sharper, smaller then sel 55-210. The 28mm macro is sharp across the frame with inbuilt lighting, the sel 30mm never sharpens up in the corners.

Sure it doesn't have any G-master lenses but for someone looking at a consumer system which has really sharp lenses at a good price, it's certainly better value for money than Sony as far as lenses go.

But they do lack choices but I am not keen on any of Sony's APS-C lenses either, to some extent they might as well not exist.

Now if only they could fix their rubbish sensor :D

Last edited:
Fantastic choice. That little camera is a beast. Get a a gimble as well for video work

I was looking at those, the Zhiyun Crane 2, but the prices are a bit eye watering lol, i've just bought a DJI Osmo mobile recently and i nearly cried at the price of that haha. I'll probably sell the osmo though and put towards a proper gimbal depending on how 'in to' video i get. I also bough the DJI mavic a couple of months ago to so i've got aerial covered too :D

Hello, i guess i can officially join this thread now. I've got my A6500 + 18-105 on it's way after much deliberation!

Firstly, i've been in and out of photography for about 14 years, got my 10D (first proper camera) in 2004 (i think), and stuck with Canon for ages (up to 60D). Then i switched to M43 as i got fed up of lugging loads of gear about, i kept going through phases of when i sold all my gear, i missed it, so bought again, then on, and on, you get it!
So now, i've got a wish list to add to my new kit...
10-18 UWA
Flash/kit - looking at the Godox as they seem to get good reviews for a very reasonable price...
:D

The 10-18 is a great little lens and well worth getting, I have it and use it on my A6300.
The A6500 + the lenses you are getting will be a great little kit.

You shouldn't have bought such crap dslrs then ;) how many weather proof did you own again? What was it.... 0?

Have yours mapped out?

What would lies achieve on the internet Alan, don't be an ass.

Twist, if you'd read my speck posts you'd know it's not a pixel in my EVF it's a piece of something that's either worked its way there as per it could on any other system (other than yours obviously which remains 100% clean to this day and will always remain so) or come off the inside of the EVF unit. If it was just a pixel it would have been mapped out as I've done that twice, just to be sure.

As for being an arse, praise from Caesar :D You seem to spend most of your time having digs in non Nikon threads so don't be so sensitive about Nikon's quality woes and have the grace to take a few hits when Nikon are in the firing line :D There's always the chance that they'll get the next one right.

I've always fancied an A6xxx. Good luck with it :D Good luck with the travelling and the move too :D My Mrs is Thai but not from Bangkok, she doesn't like the city and I can't say I do either, we both like a quieter life but I can see the attraction.

I have a TZ100. I haven't used it much but was using it yesterday. I think they're ok but maybe work best as a companion to a larger better quality camera and I think you may have been a bit disappointed with one as your only camera so I think you did the best thing going further upmarket. Good luck with it all :D

Twist, if you'd read my speck posts you'd know it's not a pixel in my EVF it's a piece of something that's either worked its way there as per it could on any other system (other than yours obviously which remains 100% clean to this day and will always remain so) or come off the inside of the EVF unit. If it was just a pixel it would have been mapped out as I've done that twice, just to be sure.

As for being an arse, praise from Caesar :D You seem to spend most of your time having digs in non Nikon threads so don't be so sensitive about Nikon's quality woes and have the grace to take a few hits when Nikon are in the firing line :D There's always the chance that they'll get the next one right.

Indeed, mine is 100% clean. Strange you aren't whining about your speck as much as you bang on about your previous DSLR dust specks. I recall you saying it's a major benefit of evf.

I'm not sensitive about nikon quality, I've already said they're dealing with the current problem with excellent backup but should concentrate on upping quality control so there isn't a problem in the first place. You should read what I post.

Fyi, the evf is a screen, like tv's and monitors if the actual screen has a dead pixel it can't be remapped. A sensor can remap.

Last edited:

With the A6500 having an APSC sensor a 50mm lens would effectively be 75mm which in my opinion is not very useful, a 24 or 35mm would be better.

If you like a bargain then the 35mm f/1.8 OSS (SEL-35F18) is excellent and with the crop factor you have what is largely regarded as the "standard" focal length.

If money is no problem then the Sonnar T E 24mm f1/8 ZA (SEL24F18Z) is fabulous, a used version can be had for around £450.

I can recommend either of these because I have actually owned and used them and not on hearsay as so often happens on forums.

Last edited:
If there was a more compact and slightly cheaper 24mm f1.8 the Axxxx system would be a lot more attractive to me. The existing one is a touch big, IMO, and cheaper is always welcome :D

With the A6500 having an APSC sensor a 50mm lens would effectively be 75mm which in my opinion is not very useful, a 24 or 35mm would be better.

If you like a bargain then the 35mm f/1.8 OSS (SEL-35F18) is excellent and with the crop factor you have what is largely regarded as the "standard" focal length.

If money is no problem then the Sonnar T E 24mm f1/8 ZA (SEL24F18Z) is fabulous, a used version can be had for around £450.

I can recommend either of these because I have actually owned and used them and not on hearsay as so often happens on forums.

I've just sold my A6000 along with a 50/1.8 and would disagree that the 50 is not vey useful. We're all different photographers so have different tastes but the 50mm fov on crop was always good for portraits etc. It can be a bit long for indoor shots if you can move back but for the price it delivers excellent results so I wouldn't write it off.

Well it looks like i am also going to be part of this crew as tomorrow i should be collecting my Sony A5100 body.

To get me going i am going to purchase a kit lens until future funds can secure something more substantial.
Question is do i go 16-50 or 18-55?

Any help on the lens front would be greatfully received.

If there was a more compact and slightly cheaper 24mm f1.8 the Axxxx system would be a lot more attractive to me. The existing one is a touch big, IMO, and cheaper is always welcome :D

you mean something like the canon 22mm f/2 STM :D
cheaper, smaller and sharper (by about a stop i.e. you need to stop SEL24 to f/4 to get same sharpness as eos-m 22mm at f/2).
Only place Sony wins is focus speed (not sure that makes it worth 4x more :p ).

Last edited:
you mean something like the canon 22mm f/2 STM :D
cheaper, smaller and sharper (by about a stop i.e. you need to stop SEL24 to f/4 to get same sharpness as eos-m 22mm at f/2).
Only place Sony wins is focus speed (not sure that makes it worth 4x more :p ).
Do you own a Canon EOS M 22mm lens and have you used it on an AXXXX, have you also owned a Sonnar 24mm f1/8 and compared?

If so I'd like to see your sample images.

Do you own a Canon EOS M 22mm lens and have you used it on an AXXXX, have you also owned a Sonnar 24mm f1/8 and compared?

If so I'd like to see your sample images.

I used to own canon 22mm and it can't be used on e-mount because eos-m and e-mount have the same flange distance (hence no adapters exist). I have not owned but used 24mm f/1.8 briefly.

I've just sold my A6000 along with a 50/1.8 and would disagree that the 50 is not vey useful. We're all different photographers so have different tastes but the 50mm fov on crop was always good for portraits etc. It can be a bit long for indoor shots if you can move back but for the price it delivers excellent results so I wouldn't write it off.
I wasn't writing it off, I've never owned one so how could I.
Merely suggesting that 35mm (50mm APSC) would probably be a more useful focal length..................user choice though.

Last edited:
Is there no A5 or A6 thread? Surely there should be one. As much as I like chatting tech about all things I don't want to confuse my crop from my FF and end up with something I shouldn't have

upload_2017-7-26_12-20-4.png

A7 snob ;0)

Also, if you end up buying an APS-C lens for your A7 because someone talked about it on this thread, I don't reckon that would be their fault really :)

I wasn't writing it off, I've never owned one so how could I.
Merely suggesting that 35mm (50mm APSC) would probably be a more useful focal length..................user choice though.

Like we both said, focal length is a personal choice so I was just balancing your opinion from the point of view of someone who's used the lens;

"With the A6500 having an APSC sensor a 50mm lens would effectively be 75mm which in my opinion is not very useful"

I've just been out for a quick walk at lunchtime to test out my A7 and 50/1.8 in the real world and am happy with the performance. These are all handheld, jpg with no noise reduction and briefly edited on my phone as I was walking back to the office;

1) Lady Lever Art Gallery (light is flat and dull so not the greatest time to shoot architecture!)

2) "Strike a pose"

3) An example of 'Japanning'

4)

5) Low light colours

There are some more in my album here

Last edited:

I've decided i'll look out for a Sigma 30mm F/1.4. It's cheap as chips and seems to yield decent images with nice bokeh.

I also pressed the 'buy now' button on the Godox V860ii-S with the transmitter to expand later on, oh, and a Manfrotto Tri M bag. My wife is gonna kill me. (I'll just tell her i can't get it in NZ lol) :D

Is there anything worth looking out for in Bangkok btw? I'll be there for a week and i know there's a few shopping centres with camera shops (4th floor of MBK, festival centre (i think it's called).

Last edited:
Camera shops are easy to find :D and they seem to stock everything.

PS.
If you haven't been already... if you get the chance go and see the Big Buddha, it's one of my favourite places on earth, dunno why but I just love the place.

DSC06947.jpg

Last edited:
Back