The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've been lucky so far with my manual lenses and have only had one Zuiko sticky issue and one Minolta focus ring issue. A good service seems to be in the region of £70 which makes it borderline if it's worth it or not but at least getting a lens serviced saves the lottery of buying another. If you want to DIY (I can't be bothered :D) the lenses seem to come apart easy enough.

Yes, I have had a lifetime of things coming apart easily enough. It's putting them back together that's the problem.

I convert to Adobe DNG and then process in CS5.

I tried the Sony stuff when I first got the camera and thought it was awful.

Use the latest lightroom.
Also finally got round to making my new camera strap, as much as i like the optech its just too bulky. Think im going to get a Canon FD 70-210 f4 its not a length i use much so im not getting the Sony offeing.

I struggle with straps and indeed my A7, GX7 and G1 currently don't have one.

After pixel peeping my new (to me) Zuiko 85mm f2 at 100% and deciding that the Rokkor is sharper and has less CA I took a step back and accepted that in real world full images such minor differences really don't matter all that much :D and the Zuiko is therefore cleared for real world use :D

I always go through this with new gear.

Last edited:
Use the latest lightroom.
Also finally got round to making my new camera strap, as much as i like the optech its just too bulky. Think im going to get a Canon FD 70-210 f4 its not a length i use much so im not getting the Sony offeing.

I've got an old Canon FD 70-210, was going to try it myself :)

Hi folks,

just after a bit of advice really, do you keep the in-camera chroma and lens related fixes OFF or ON.
There has been some talk that Sony uses aggressive NR / Auto lens corrections which affects IQ :)
Any idea?

Right fellow Sony A7/A7R owners....

I have passed on the below to Bill Drummond along with various emails / communications to Sony EU. Hope it will be forwarded onto Sony Japan for consideration.

- Improve Auto-Focus further with tweaking incl low light (comparable to the Sony A6000 / DSLRs)
- Improve continuous Burst mode AF Tracking
- Enable the First-Curtain Electronic Shutter for both first and second movement (Silent mode like Sony A7S)
- Auto ISO always seems to stick to 1/60sec speeds. Add option to set a min shutter speed (Same as Fuji XT-1)
- Ability to adjust the sensitivity of the eye sensor as it is far too sensitive on distance detection (i.e. when camera is held at waist and using the rear LCD the screen sometimes turns off as it assumes your waiting to use the eye sensor.
- Ability to upload JPEG/RAW files direct from the camera (via WiFi or 3/4G mobile hotspot) to FTP or Cloud based sites like DropBox & iCloud etc
- Full camera control via the Remote control application including menu setting changes (See Fuji remote app) incl Movie recording and LiveView
- Improve the bitrate for Movie recording to professional levels like the Canon 5D MKIII (XAVCS 50mbps Like Sony CyberShot RX100 MKIII)
- Improve AF-C for video recording to acquire focus quicker
- Ability to remove the NTSC warning screen upon camera start up
- Adjustable camera sounds volume and silent mode (like Fuji X100/s) hold down a button for 3/5 seconds made the camera silent.
- Ability to output Pure RAW files with no in camera additions like Lens corrections or NR etc
- Improve Apple Mac OSX firmware upgrade process/application (see below)
- Ability to add personal author information / copyright / email address to EXIF data in camera (Like Nikon)
- Auto-rotate of EVF information when camera is turned in portrait
- Allow LCD screen off mode via Fn or Custom buttons.
- Ability to use EVF for composition, once photo is taken it is displayed on the rear LCD screen.
- Ability to lock all rear buttons using a defined button hold for more than 3 seconds.
- Ability to link spot metering to the focus point not the centre of the screen

Let me know if there are issues/bugs or possible improvements I've missed.

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/alph...d-a7r-share-your-experience/m-p/1643101#M4276

Cheers :)

Last edited:
The only thing on my wish list is the ability to assign rear screen off to a custom button.

I haven't come across anything else that bugs me.

Oh... Replace the tilt rear screen with a fully articulated one which can be turned to the body. This should be easy for Sony to incorporate into a firmware update.

PS. And add something else to that firmware update... silent mode. Easy peasy :D

Last edited:
The only thing on my wish list is the ability to assign rear screen off to a custom button.

I haven't come across anything else that bugs me.

Oh... Replace the tilt rear screen with a fully articulated one which can be turned to the body. This should be easy for Sony to incorporate into a firmware update.

PS. And add something else to that firmware update... silent mode. Easy peasy :D

I have updated my list which Bill has access to.
He tweeted me saying that he would make sure the Sony Engineers get the information :)
Meanwhile I have emailed Sony Japan and Sony EU with the list too and written a letter to a contact in Sony Germany.

Its worth a try.

Fuji always used to listen to my other owners requests when it came to improvements and firmware upgrades. :)

Fuji listen though. Look at both cameras past FW history.

Correct... they sure listen.... I had a couple of contacts in Fuji which made things easier... one email to them and it got read and forwarded onto Japan.
Amazing customer service.

Lets hope Sony listen, it was worth a try even if nothing comes of it. :)

Last edited:
tempted to sell my 6D for a A7R...

tempted to sell my 6D for a A7R...

I only had a Nikon D7000 (DX sensor) and I havent once regretted moving to the Sony :)
I have even started using MF which I never did on the Nikon.

You could keep your Canon lenses for the time being and buy the Metabones MK4 lens adaptor and use them ont he A7R :)

To me, DSLR's are just big and bulky but professional's still use them as they still lead in terms of AF tracking performance for sports/widlife etc.

I only had a Nikon D7000 (DX sensor) and I havent once regretted moving to the Sony :)
I have even started using MF which I never did on the Nikon.

You could keep your Canon lenses for the time being and buy the Metabones MK4 lens adaptor and use them ont he A7R :)

To me, DSLR's are just big and bulky but professional's still use them as they still lead in terms of AF tracking performance for sports/widlife etc.
yer I mainly shoot landscape with my MF zeiss 21mm anyway. I'm attracted to the DR and detail this beast retains in the shadows.

Been reading up about the Metabones adaptors. :)

yer I mainly shoot landscape with my MF zeiss 21mm anyway. I'm attracted to the DR and detail this beast retains in the shadows.

Been reading up about the Metabones adaptors. :)

The A7 has slightly better dynamic range than the A7R but if you can afford it and dont need the faster AF of the 7... the A7R is the one to go for :)

An option to lock all the back buttons during use would be a nice way to prevent accidental fat finger issues and the resultant arsing about trying to fix the problem. IBIS as well for MF lens use.

An option to lock all the back buttons during use would be a nice way to prevent accidental fat finger issues and the resultant arsing about trying to fix the problem. IBIS as well for MF lens use.

Added to the list.... :)

No chance youll get IBIS, thats hardware.

Correct but in all fairness it would have just made the camera more larger in size if they tried to cram in IBIS on a FF sensor.
I think Sony could address most of the list if they really wanted to :)

Correct but in all fairness it would have just made the camera more larger in size if they tried to cram in IBIS on a FF sensor.
I think Sony could address most of the list if they really wanted to :)

I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger body for ibis, could argue lenses would also balance better. Sony rather release new models than release a decent fw update.

I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger body for ibis, could argue lenses would also balance better. Sony rather release new models than release a decent fw update.
Yes but they should really take a leaf out of Fuji's book and get every last bit of performance / update tweaking out on existing models.
For example the new CyberShot RX100 MKIII has XAVCS 50mbps video recording, how can a lesser model have better features than their flagship A series camera's? :)

Yes but they should really take a leaf out of Fuji's book and get every last bit of performance / update tweaking out on existing models.
For example the new CyberShot RX100 MKIII has XAVCS 50mbps video recording, how can a lesser model have better features than their flagship A series camera's? :)

They should and I really hope they do but ime their business model won't change.

They should and I really hope they do but ime their business model won't change.
Yes your probably right but consumers don't ask, they won't even think about it.
As mentioned earlier, my efforts might be a long shot and probably won't be implemented but its worth a try. (not costing me anything apart from a little effort and £2.00 airmail)

On a slightly better note... my new Gariz A7 half leather case has arrived :D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is there a decent lens adapter that doesn't have AF to cut the cost over the metabones? I would be using this camera predominantly with my MF Zeiss.

I'd need to alter aperture though

Is there a decent lens adapter that doesn't have AF to cut the cost over the metabones? I would be using this camera predominantly with my MF Zeiss.

I'd need to alter aperture though
What mount is your Zeiss? :)

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

I'm not sure if they make Canon EF to Sony FE adapters which have aperture adjustments. Mmm
Novoflex?

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums
I'll check then out, cheers mate

Do the adaptors such as the metabones one effect the focal length seeing as they move the lens away from the sensor?

Do the adaptors such as the metabones one effect the focal length seeing as they move the lens away from the sensor?

I don't think the adapter moves the lens away from the sensor as such, it just moves it to the correct distance from the sensor.

I think......... I'm sure someone will be along to correct me!

I don't think the adapter moves the lens away from the sensor as such, it just moves it to the correct distance from the sensor.

I think......... I'm sure someone will be along to correct me!

Yup.

The point of the adapter is not just to allow the lens to be fitted to the body but also to get it the correct distance from the sensor. Otherwise no workie.

cheers. Literally got my cursor over the complete order button on the panamoz site....umming and arring.

Right fellow Sony A7/A7R owners....

I have passed on the below to Bill Drummond along with various emails / communications to Sony EU. Hope it will be forwarded onto Sony Japan for consideration.
I'd absolutely add "link spot metering to the focus point not the centre of the screen" in there.

Is the A7r worth it over the A7? and is the A7 kit really not that great? Considering this, EM1 or XT-1 for a move to something more compact from my 70D.

Back