The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

@woof woof - just to update you I never received my rokkor 58mm/1.4 from rocky cameras. But I got my money back from the credit card company.

I am going to try and claim back money on the other lens he did send me also. It has sticky aperture blades. Once I get a professional to certify this, I can claim it back also (then I'll use the money to have it repaired).

Originally I was not going to claim back money for other lens if he had kept to his word and sent me the rokkor. But if he is going to be d**k... I will claim back every penny since I am well within law/rules to do so.

Last edited:
@woof woof - just to update you I never received my rokkor 58mm/1.4 from rocky cameras. But I got my money back from the credit card company.

I am going to try and claim back money on the other lens he did send me also. It has sticky aperture blades. Once I get a professional to certify this, I can claim it back also (then I'll use the money to have it repaired).

Originally I was not going to claim back money for other lens if he had kept to his word and sent me the rokkor. But if he is going to be d**k... I will claim back every penny since I am well within law/rules to do so.

I'll cross him off my list.

I can't remember everything I bought off him but I certainly got my first 55mm f1.7 and a 70-210mm and a couple of others plus some tubes and an extender so I've maybe bought half a dozen or more things with never a problem... in fact with the zoom he gave really good service as he swapped the first one I got but didn't like no problem, but I'll not recommend or deal with him again.

It does look a cracker, I was trying to reconcile the price v the 16-35 f4 which is no slouch but the f2.8 GM seems to be better.

the zeiss f4 version is excellent which i also use but the GM seems to be the dream UWA zoom for mirrorless setup. its sharp, light and fast. the same setup on DSLRs would be much larger.

Gutted!!!

The flash on my A5100 has packed in.
Was taking some outdoor shots of the kids using flash for fill, it made a cracking sound everytime it flashed then just died....... :(

I was wondering how much better the auto focus on the A7Rii is compared to a A7II. I appreciate that continuous eye focus is a big difference but is normal continuous focus also much improved on the R? Primary concern is photos of swift moving toddlers and children... any opinions greatly welcomed. Thank you

I was wondering how much better the auto focus on the A7Rii is compared to a A7II. I appreciate that continuous eye focus is a big difference but is normal continuous focus also much improved on the R? Primary concern is photos of swift moving toddlers and children... any opinions greatly welcomed. Thank you

The original A7 can focus on toddlers/children/dogs so long as you’ve got a lens that can AF quickly enough too.

D08F3EE9-5B12-429D-92FD-5C979E6983A2.JPG

ORG_DSC01945.jpeg
(She was toddling towards the ball when this was shot)

Headed out to give the Tamron 24-70 a proper whirl yesterday, headed to one of my favourite local spots at Seacliff Beach, pretty happy with the sharpness, AF not quite up there with the native 24-70 but its really not far off for my needs.

20171015 - Tantallon Castle by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

We were going to go out today, the weather didn't look great but hey-ho. Suddenly it got even darker and outside at f4 I was at ISO 3200 and not in a good way lighting wise and then it rained.

Free time and nice weather for taking pictures don't often coincide.

There's no wind here in the NE. We've got a grey white sky here with no detail at all. It's pointless me taking any pictures... but I suppose if you've never seen these conditions and lighting it'd be interesting :D

There's no wind here in the NE. We've got a grey white sky here with no detail at all. It's pointless me taking any pictures... but I suppose if you've never seen these conditions and lighting it'd be interesting :D

Haha I faced the same conditions yesterday, seems like it's always grey no detail... And then the rain started... Reckon today we're getting a storm... :D Hmmm would make for some good pics... :D

Anybody else got an opinion on this?

It’s better. I wouldn’t say it’s a huge improvement generally but there are more focus points and the phase detection area is larger. The continuous eye af is very good but not perfect.

The AF in A7RII is definitely a noticeable improvement over the A7II. not to mention you have additional useful settings like shutter release priority, minimum shutter speed etc.

Personally I never really liked A7II or considered it a proper upgrade over my A7. No improvement IQ and AF is only marginally better than the original. Basically you can paying for IBIS which I don't care much for. So I never liked it. Its worst of the A7 series IMO.

Last edited:
Steve Huff tries the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 on his A9...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M61bss8AUmk

And here's the write up on his site...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/...-40-1-2-aspherical-lens-for-the-sony-e-mount/

I haven't got anything worth posting yet as all I've been able to take is shots about the house and garden and the Mrs but so far...

I'm still impressed. People are saying this lens has focus shift, field curvature, bad corners and CA but I'm still impressed :D I think this lens is made and optimised for wide open performance and it looks nice when used like that and it has none of the funkiness I'd associate with older wide aperture lenses, if you know what I mean, IMO it's definitely a modern lens in that respect. I'm also impressed with the lens as it's stopped down. f2 is sharp across the frame and f2-5 where I think I'll use it a lot I'd say it's very good. At F8-10... Ditto.

One of the first things I did was look for the field curvature, fuzzy corners and CA but I'm just not seeing anything to complain about and doing significantly better would no doubt mean more bulk and weight and probably dropping the f1.2 so all in all I'd rather have the lens as it is, compact and f1.2 with some issues if you shoot to provoke them and show them but in real world use and engaging your brain I think this is a very good lens :D

And a PS.
The lens has a little ring beyond the aperture ring which is for declicking the aperture.

Last edited:
What would you guys as Sony experts reckon an A5100 with 18-55mm is worth?
Flash is broken but otherwise camera works fine where flash os not required.

What would you guys as Sony experts reckon an A5100 with 18-55mm is worth?
Flash is broken but otherwise camera works fine where flash os not required.

They're about 230 working with 1650..... maybe 150-180 with the 1855.

Sony A7 III / A7S III / A9S announcement next week apparently :D lol

Back