The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There's a bit on the new A7RIII over at Luminous Landscape but as it's a subscription site you have to pay... $12 a year I think it is. More A7RIII stuff will doubtless follow over there and for those who can't access I'll tell you the bottom line... the guy likes it and has ordered one :D

Another note.

I spent yesterday buying old lenses :D I've received one and there's another four on the way :D I wont bore you all with the details but one thing I'll say is...

Some people buy the latest greatest lenses and spend ages MAing them but these old lenses never give me front / back focus issues... unless it's my user error.

And just in case anyone doesn't get it, that's a :D

Last edited:
There's a bit on the new A7RIII over at Luminous Landscape but as it's a subscription site you have to pay... $12 a year I think it is. More A7RIII stuff will doubtless follow over there and for those who can't access I'll tell you the bottom line... the guy likes it and has ordered one :D

Another note.

I spent yesterday buying old lenses :D I've received one and there's another four on the way :D I wont bore you all with the details but one thing I'll say is...

Some people buy the latest greatest lenses and spend ages MAing them but these old lenses never give me front / back focus issues... unless it's my user error.

Stupid question but I thought AFMA was something that only really affected DSLR's? Something to do with the way the algorithms work

Stupid question but I thought AFMA was something that only really affected DSLR's? Something to do with the way the algorithms work
Nothing to do with algorithms more to do with the fact that they have separate sensors for recording image and performing AF. Ideally you want the path that light takes to both the sensors to be exactly the same. But sometimes they are ever so slightly different due to tolerances which leads to front or back focus.

With mirrorless both AF and image recording is done on same plane. So the path light takes is exactly the same. Hence no back/front focusing issues.

Last edited:

It's just me being daft :D

There are no front or back focusing AF issues because these are manual focus lenses and I'm using them in "live view" to focus on the sensor :D

Sorry to be daft :D

I've received three lenses today, it's like Christmas :D

All so far in very good condition and working perfectly.

I'm conscious that I'm always going on about old lenses :D
No seriously I am interested in what new shinies you got

I got two new lenses myself. A voigtlander 10mm f/5.6 I picked up from classifieds and voigtlander 40mm f/2 :D

Last edited:
I saw that 10mm in the for sale section.

I'll be interested to know what you think of both.

I got some FD's. I know I've just sold three but these were at a good price and in good condition...

28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and f1.8 and 85mm f1.8.

I've not had a FD 35mm f2.8 so that interests me and there's not as many about as the 28mm's. The 85mm is a breech lock and came with a hood and a case all in very good condition.

Fav lenses at the mo are my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and Rokkor 55mm f1.7 and 45mm f2. The latter is weightless :D

I saw that 10mm in the for sale section.

I'll be interested to know what you think of both.

I got some FD's. I know I've just sold three but these were at a good price and in good condition...

I've not had a FD 35mm f2.8 so that interests me and there's not as many about as the 28mm's. The 85mm is a breech lock and came with a hood and a case all in very good condition.

Fav lenses at the mo are my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and Rokkor 55mm f1.7 and 45mm f2. The latter is weightless :D

Where are you sourcing your lenses from these days Alan?

Simon.

All over Simon. I'm finding that pretty much all of the cheaper (hopefully) mass market stuff that interests me is available sooner or later and does crop up from time to time but prices are all over the place. I got some good priced lenses from dealers who don't have their stock on line by sending emails and calling to ask if they've got whatever I'm interested in.

Exactly forty years ago I was using the 50mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.8, both breechlock, on my Canon FTb-N. :eek:
They were just the job for photographing the Saturday concerts at Kingston Poly. I must still have the negs and contact sheets somewhere.....

Ok, more thoughts on the A7R3, the dual card slots.

Great, its finally here, but why is it one USH-1 and the other USH-2?

I gave Canon a lot of flak for this when the 5D4 came out and Sony is not immune to the same criticism. The tech is there, why bottleneck yourself with a slower card slot? The entire reason for most professional having 2 card slots of redundancy meaning writing both cards at the same time and having putting 2 card slots in, having 1 slower, 1 faster would means the fastest you can write to is the slowest one so WHAT IS THE POINT?

It's already £3200, charge me another £50 and put in 2 USH-2 slots.

Just wondered how many people use Photomemories Apps on their Sony. Up to now I haven’t bothered, but after hearing so many people on another forum moaning that the riii doesn’t have Photomemories I’d thought I’d have a look. I have to admit the the SR and Filters apps look quite useful if you don’t have any filters to hand

I quite like the smooth reflections app. I'll post some examples tomorrow... Bed time now :D

Exactly forty years ago I was using the 50mm f1.4 & 85mm f1.8, both breechlock, on my Canon FTb-N. :eek:
They were just the job for photographing the Saturday concerts at Kingston Poly. I must still have the negs and contact sheets somewhere.....
And these lenses can now have a new lease of life on a mirrorless camera :D

I've been using old lenses for years on my Panasonic MFT cameras but when the Sony A7 came out it was the first FF CSC with the obvious advantage of giving the same field of view when using the old lenses :D

This seems painfully obvious but I can’t find a straight/simple answer:

Is there a cord/cable so I can operate a Sony flash slightly off-camera?

I have an a7RII and Sony F20M flash, I don’t really need another flash so spending £200 on another flash with an IR receiver just to take the flash slightly off camera seems a little excessive.

Do you want full manual control or automatic TTL? For full manual, any hotshoe cable will work but for TTL I’d assume you’d need a Sony specific cable. Alternatively, any cheap flash with an optical receiver built in could be triggered by your F20M on camera (just turn the power to the lowest setting if you don’t want it to affect the exposure). I’ve always used a pair of cheap Jessops brand flashguns and an old Sigma 530 (all Canon Mount) as on and off camera flashes with my A6000/A7.

Just wondered how many people use Photomemories Apps on their Sony. Up to now I haven’t bothered, but after hearing so many people on another forum moaning that the riii doesn’t have Photomemories I’d thought I’d have a look. I have to admit the the SR and Filters apps look quite useful if you don’t have any filters to hand

examples as promised from smooth reflections app

34065988095_04fc8ab4ba_b.jpg

33254505093_85a74cffbd_b.jpg

33254507533_2c19061ca1_b.jpg

34058034972_c0fd039929_b.jpg

33390618833_f4258d21c7_b.jpg

I've not had a FD 35mm f2.8 so that interests me and there's not as many about as the 28mm's. The 85mm is a breech lock and came with a hood and a case all in very good condition

I think you will have fun with those.

The FDn 35/2.8 is a nice lens, better than the FDn 28/2.8 and certainly sharp enough on an A7 - I often use it for street photos at f/8 with the focus set around 3m, meaning I don’t have to worry about it any more.

This seems painfully obvious but I can’t find a straight/simple answer:

Is there a cord/cable so I can operate a Sony flash slightly off-camera?

I have an a7RII and Sony F20M flash, I don’t really need another flash so spending £200 on another flash with an IR receiver just to take the flash slightly off camera seems a little excessive.
One could be made using two FA-CS1M adapters plus an FA-MC1AM cord but the parts are expensive and hard to source. There are other ways of doing it but it gets more complicated and needs a knowledge of Sony's flash cable architecture.
Amazon briefly had a dedicated cord for the MI shoe but that now seems to have disappeared. I bought one and it worked with some cameras but not others which might be a reason for its disappearance.
I'd buy a Godox TT685S flash for under £100 and use the F20M to trigger it. The F20M is so feeble that its best use is as a trigger.

Hi folks,

another firmware update out for the FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master lens - Ver. 04

Benefits and improvements from the latest update
  • Fixed an event that may not work properly in some products updated to Ver.03.
:D

Haven't they promised to deliver the best mirrorless body next year?

If they decide to go with a small flange distance like other mirrorless designs, they have a lot of catching up to do in terms of lenses.

It'll be nice to see another brand provide a FF option with EVF, I am sick of Sony being the only option :p

I had a Nikon SLR for a looooooooooooooooong time and I suppose I still have a soft spot for them but any future Nikon FF CSC will have to be pretty special to get me interested as apart from brand loyalty (which I haven't got a lot of) I can't think what could get me to switch.

Another note.

Arent frint back focus issues more to do with the mirror system in DLSR’s,surely you wouldnt get any issues with a mirrorless or is the type of focussing system as in phase versus the other which i cant remember? Lol

One could be made using two FA-CS1M adapters plus an FA-MC1AM cord but the parts are expensive and hard to source. There are other ways of doing it but it gets more complicated and needs a knowledge of Sony's flash cable architecture.
Amazon briefly had a dedicated cord for the MI shoe but that now seems to have disappeared. I bought one and it worked with some cameras but not others which might be a reason for its disappearance.
I'd buy a Godox TT685S flash for under £100 and use the F20M to trigger it. The F20M is so feeble that its best use is as a trigger.
Wotuld this be of any use to @ukaskew I made them to trigger Sony hvl 60m flashes from radio triggers.

Attachments

• 143B357B-A382-4A95-A03F-C161DA426933.jpeg
    143B357B-A382-4A95-A03F-C161DA426933.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 18
Arent frint back focus issues more to do with the mirror system in DLSR’s,surely you wouldnt get any issues with a mirrorless or is the type of focussing system as in phase versus the other which i cant remember? Lol

Sorry Chris this was just me making a funny :D

Front / back focus issues are of course something you get with DSLR's because the focus is decided not on the sensor but somewhere else and you don't get it with mirrorless systems which take the focus off the sensor. You also don't get it with mirrorless sensors when using manual lenses like I was talking about either :D

I think it's time I apologised to the forum for my silliness.... Sorry! :D

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 @F1.2, 100% crop.

1-DSC08259.jpg

Last edited:

Front / back focus issues are of course something you get with DSLR's because the focus is decided not on the sensor but somewhere else and you don't get it with mirrorless systems which take the focus off the sensor. You also don't get it with mirrorless sensors when using manual lenses like I was talking about either :D

View attachment 113997

That’s why I loved mirrorless so much back in the nex days and why it’s tempting me back!

View attachment 113997
Lol no need to apologise Alan,just send me your A7 lol

Wotuld this be of any use to @ukaskew I made them to trigger Sony hvl 60m flashes from radio triggers.
Unfortunately not, Mark, as neither the camera nor the flash have those connectors. This is what Chris is after but B&H seems to be the only source of them at the moment.

Thanks for trying guys, I’ve seen a previous gen Sony mid-range flash with IR for £40 so I’ll probably just pick that up.

Back