The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I got a new 67mm pinch lens cap for my Tokina 17mm yesterday :D It had a Sigma branded cap but the pinch bits were small and offset and all in all it was a fiddly thing so a new unbranded standard centre pinch cap has improved things greatly and it feels like a new lens :D Such a simple little fix for £1.69 and it made my day :D

I got a new 67mm pinch lens cap for my Tokina 17mm yesterday :D It had a Sigma branded cap but the pinch bits were small and offset and all in all it was a fiddly thing so a new unbranded standard centre pinch cap has improved things greatly and it feels like a new lens :D Such a simple little fix for £1.69 and it made my day :D
You really need to get out more! :)

The Olympus guy? I think you did

Did I? Oh well. I know I've linked to his site before but I didn't know if I'd linked this article or not.

I don't think I'd call him an Olympus guy per se but he's a MFT user these days. I think in the past he used Nikons.

I like his site both for his video reviews and his comment as I think he talks a lot of sense and he's sometimes very and funnily cutting.

As it's quiet here...

I thought I saw a picture here but the light was poor. This has been in Nik filters Colour Effex and had a touch of detail extractor and contrast colour range.

A7 and I think my 17mm Tokina.

DSC08812.jpg

Same shot but this time via Nik filters Silver Effex, Analog Effex and then into Colour Effex for the detail extractor and contrast and colour range.

DSC08812-N2.jpg

Last edited:
New (to me) lens day [emoji1303]

IMG_1515259462.966337.jpg

I sold my 28-70 to MPB because I’ve only used it a couple of times and bought the Samyang 85/1.4 with the proceeds. I’m really impressed with the build quality and it’s slightly lighter and less front-heavy than the Samyang 14/2.8 I had for a while. The focus ring is very well cushioned and the aperture clicks nicely.

I need to give it a run in the daylight but indoor testing so far tells me I’m going to like it. This is what a lens should deliver for reasonable money.

New (to me) lens day [emoji1303]

View attachment 117795

I sold my 28-70 to MPB because I’ve only used it a couple of times and bought the Samyang 85/1.4 with the proceeds. I’m really impressed with the build quality and it’s slightly lighter and less front-heavy than the Samyang 14/2.8 I had for a while. The focus ring is very well cushioned and the aperture clicks nicely.

I need to give it a run in the daylight but indoor testing so far tells me I’m going to like it. This is what a lens should deliver for reasonable money.

These look good, update on how you like it after using it :)

I’ve just heard about another option for MF on APS-C E Mount. The 7Artisans 35/1.2 is only £127.50 from Hamish at 35mmc.com

I haven’t seen results from it yet but if it’s anything like the other 7Artisans lenses it could be bargain[emoji4]

These lenses are cheap and may be worth a gamble and a gamble is what they could be as I've read a few reports of very poor quality but I suppose if you buy from a good dealer and get a poor copy all you're wasting is time as they'll swap it or give you a refund.

It's a shame if the quality isn't consistently good enough as cheap and good enough lenses is one thing I'd like to see. Lenses of the quality of an old Zuiko/Rokkor/etc but capable of mounting without an adapter would be great, especially if there wasn't the danger of going through hassle to get a good one.

From what I’ve read and having spoken with Hamish he’s been impressed with the overall build quality. He normally shoots Leica so if the 7Artisans don’t feel cheaply made to him I’d take it as a positive sign.

I can’t think of anywhere else, legacy or new, that we could find a 35/1.2 for under £130 or a 35/2 in native FE mount for £160.

Last edited:
From what I’ve read and having spoken with Hamish he’s been impressed with the overall build quality. He normally shoots Leica so if the 7Artisans don’t feel cheaply made to him I’d take it as a positive sign.

I can’t think of anywhere else, legacy or new, that we could find a 35/1.2 for under £130 or a 35/2 in native FE mount for £160.

No, I think a legacy 35mm f2.8 could be anything from £50-120 depending upon condition and brand and faster ones are going to cost more for example I just checked evil bay and there's a Rokkor 35mm f1.8 for a buy it now price of £165 or there abouts (postage included in that.) I don't think I paid anything like that for mine, it's a decent enough lens but not great at f1.8 and it needs an adapter. If you can find a legacy 35mm f1.2 it's going to cost a bit :D

I Googled these 7artisans a while ago and ended up with a few reports of them not mounting properly or being generally poor but maybe it was a batch or early copy problem, who knows... I do think they're possibly worth a go but at the mo I don't have enough info to go on... the (M mount and therefore only a small adapter is needed) 50mm f1.1 looks interesting but I haven't read enough or seen enough pictures taken with it to convince me to give one a go and I already have a Rokkor f1.2 which is ok but of course needs an adapter. The only other 7a FF lens I can see is the 35mm f2.

I might Google and see what reports I can find. As I said, I like the idea of mounting these without an adapter or with just a low profile adapter in the case of the 50mm f1.1.

Another thought on legacy lenses and rising prices. Prices do seem to be rising, maybe down to the growing popularity of CSC's so anyone interested in legacy lenses should maybe buy soon as if Canon and / or Nikon bring a CSC out and it sells well I think the price of legacy lenses could rise even further.

Just had a quick look at those 7a links but there's just not enough there to convince me they're worth a gamble. I downloaded some 50mm shots but as far as I can see they're all wide aperture shots so I've no idea how this lens will perform on an A7 when stopped down. Plus the lens is more expensive than a legacy 50mm f1.2 and they're at least a known quantity.

I'll have another look if more reviews and files become available.

Last edited:
Just had a quick look at those 7a links but there's just not enough there to convince me they're worth a gamble. I downloaded some 50mm shots but as far as I can see they're all wide aperture shots so I've no idea how this lens will perform on an A7 when stopped down. Plus the lens is more expensive than a legacy 50mm f1.2 and they're at least a known quantity.

I'll have another look if more reviews and files become available.

The reviews do both state that the lenses, being Sonnar designs, give ‘character’ rather than clinical sharp results like modern lenses.

As for stopped down performance, I’d have thought a fast aperture lens would generally be used at those wide apertures rather than stopped down too much? If I only want to shoot at F5.6, I may as well use a 50/1.8 as the performance will be the same :0)

The reviews do both state that the lenses, being Sonnar designs, give ‘character’ rather than clinical sharp results like modern lenses.

As for stopped down performance, I’d have thought a fast aperture lens would generally be used at those wide apertures rather than stopped down too much? If I only want to shoot at F5.6, I may as well use a 50/1.8 as the performance will be the same :0)

Well that's one way to look at it but another way is to look at it is why should I have to carry two 50mm lenses when one should be enough? My Rokkor 50mm f1.2 gives character rather than clinically sharp results at wider apertures but stopped down it's just a nice and competent enough lens, as are all of my current f1.2, 1.4, 1.8 and f2 legacy lenses. This makes them effectively dual use lenses as wide open you can get what is unequivocally older lens charm and character but stopped down they're sharp enough and good enough across the frame that the fact that they're 40 years old is pretty much irrelevant.

A lens that costs more than my Rokkor and gives character at f1.x is all well and good but if it's equally characterful stopped down to f5.6 it would be kicked over a hedge PDQ. However, there's still the fact that these 7A lenses mount either directly or via a small M adapter. I'll have another look if and when more reviews on A7x cameras come along but if it's funky at all apertures I'm not interested, YMMV, and I do anyway have the characterful Rokkor 50mm f1.2 and the excellent modern Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

And I've just bought another old lens so my gear lust is satisfied for a few days :D

Last edited:
Well that's one way to look at it but another way is to look at it is why should I have to carry two 50mm lenses when one should be enough? My Rokkor 50mm f1.2 gives character rather than clinically sharp results at wider apertures but stopped down it's just a nice and competent enough lens, as are all of my current f1.2, 1.4, 1.8 and f2 legacy lenses. This makes them effectively dual use lenses as wide open you can get what is unequivocally older lens charm and character but stopped down they're sharp enough and good enough across the frame that the fact that they're 40 years old is pretty much irrelevant.

A lens that costs more than my Rokkor and gives character at f1.x is all well and good but if it's equally characterful stopped down to f5.6 it would be kicked over a hedge PDQ. However, there's still the fact that these 7A lenses mount either directly or via a small M adapter. I'll have another look if and when more reviews on A7x cameras come along but if it's funky at all apertures I'm not interested, YMMV, and I do anyway have the characterful Rokkor 50mm f1.2 and the excellent modern Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

And I've just bought another old lens so my gear lust is satisfied for a few days :D
I'm curious to know what you actually photograph (apart from your wife) with this pile of old lenses, do you have a web site or a Flickr site where I can see shots?

Maybe it’s fair to say that someone like yourself who has 24 different legacy 50mm lenses and generally shoots static subjects in good light isn’t the target market for these lenses?

I just shared them as interesting new native FE mount lenses for anyone that may be looking for good value 35/50 primes and doesn’t want to trawl ebay to find legacy glass then have to use adaptors.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know what you actually photograph (apart from your wife) with this pile of old lenses, do you have a web site or a Flickr site where I can see shots?

I rarely get out by myself these days... I'm a full time carer and I'm married now so time to myself?

I used to go out for about half a day about once a fortnight or so in the hills or at the coast but these days normally I'm with my Mrs :D and there's the odd holiday too :D

What I take pictures of... family, friends, scenery, flowers, leaves, fences, rusty old junk and other interesting stuff I see. I sometimes take just one lens but sometimes three and I'll change lenses anywhere.

I have no interest in social media so I have no flickerbook or friendface but I've probably posted as many pictures in this thread as anyone.

Maybe it’s fair to say that someone like yourself who has 24 different legacy 50mm lenses and generally shoots static subjects in good light isn’t the target market for these lenses?

I just shared them as interesting new native FE mount lenses for anyone that may be looking for good value 35/50 primes and does t want to trawl ebay to find legacy glass

Oh dear, snottiness now is it?

I wasn't having a pop, just stating my interest and what attracts me to them and puts me off from them, there's really no need to spit your dummy out.

But no, I don't always shoot static things in good light.

PS.
Jezus.

Folk on the net eh?

I'm off incase / before I say what I think and get a ban...
:D

PS.
Jezus.

Folk on the net eh?

I'm off incase / before I say what I think and get a ban...
:D

Bit dramatic? I wasn’t being snotty, I was genuinely suggesting that the 7A lenses maybe aren’t for you but may be of interest to others.

I suggested that you shoot static in good light because of the shots you share.

Last edited:
Bit dramatic? I wasn’t being snotty, I was genuinely suggesting that the 7A lenses maybe aren’t for you but may be of interest to others.

I suggested that you shout static in good light because of the shots you share.

If you weren't trying to be snotty to me you came off as so. 24 50mm lenses? Only shoot static in good light? I've probably posted as many pictures in this thread as anyone and I've probably posted as many low light pictures as anyone.

I don't post every picture I take :D and the only people pictures I post are of the Mrs, other friends and family pictures are taken but very rarely posted.

If you weren't trying to be snotty to me you came off as so. 24 50mm lenses? Only shoot static in good light? I've probably posted as many pictures in this thread as anyone and I've probably posted as many low light pictures as anyone.

I don't post every picture I take :D and the only people pictures I post are of the Mrs, other friends and family pictures are taken but very rarely posted.

I apologise for the sarcasm about the number of 50mm lenses you have. Don’t want to cause a fight ;0)

Coming this year apparently... some rumours that something could be announced in Feb
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sigmas-first-fe-lenses-will-art-series/

Sigma 35mm first I'd bet....

Fingers crossed....... Only been waiting forever...... :D:D

And on the lens subject...... How is the kit FE28-70OSS....?? I'm thinking of it for landscape/walking/hiking days out where I don't want to be swapping lenses one handed on top of a hill in gale force winds......... :rolleyes:

Plus I already have ND filters & a CPL in 58mm which will fit.

Fingers crossed....... Only been waiting forever...... :D:D

And on the lens subject...... How is the kit FE28-70OSS....?? I'm thinking of it for landscape/walking/hiking days out where I don't want to be swapping lenses one handed on top of a hill in gale force winds......... :rolleyes:

Plus I already have ND filters & a CPL in 58mm which will fit.

That 24-105 would have my name written on it I think!

28-70mm is pretty good, I do kind of feel like I am not doing the camera justice when I use it though, not sure why.

This was taken on it (5 shot stitch):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21ZFK19]Snow topped mountains behind Castlerigg Stone Circle, near Keswick. by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

So was this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23aybmK]There's still some colour... by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

That 24-105 would have my name written on it I think!

28-70mm is pretty good, I do kind of feel like I am not doing the camera justice when I use it though, not sure why.

Thanks Tom. Cool shots! I'm not printing big. I'm not entering competitions. I just want something autofocus for when out & about up in the hills/mountains or at the coast.

I only have the FE35 & Batis 85mm at this moment in time but I thought for just over £200 used that zoom might be worth a go for what I want from it. I have manual 28mm lenses - but the kids/girlfriend struggle with MF......

Back