The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Why when you've already got, and don't use, the best camera Sony make?
I know..... Sony GAS innit.... I managed to talk myself out of buying it last night... so hopefully I resist.... however if I end up doing some events / weddings I may take the plunge.

I know..... Sony GAS innit.... I managed to talk myself out of buying it last night... so hopefully I resist.... however if I end up doing some events / weddings I may take the plunge.

Why spend the money on something you may do? You're spending a fortune on gear you don't use mate. IF AND WHEN YOU NEED IT, then buy. You're just losing money.

Why spend the money on something you may do? You're spending a fortune on gear you don't use mate. IF AND WHEN YOU NEED IT, then buy. You're just losing money.
Your both right..... I will aim to go on a Sony GAS ban for 2018 :)
Apple GAS will continue as planned :D lol

Mate just phoned Wilkinson re when to expect the camera to ship. Advised not expecting stock of a7iii until mid to late April.

So i didnt get to use the EVF is a lot of what i would call low and bright lights. How does the A7iii stand up in dark and gloomy indoor lighting? Would there be any lag, drop in quality or other issues that may effect tracking subjects?
The A7iii won't be able to keep up with the A9 and A7riii as they have a faster refresh rate. I'm sure I saw a video of the lag with the A7iii on youtube, but it might have been one of the other models as you know what my memory's like ;)

Mate just phoned Wilkinson re when to expect the camera to ship. Advised not expecting stock of a7iii until mid to late April.
Hopefully enough time to fix the stripes ;)

The A7iii won't be able to keep up with the A9 and A7riii as they have a faster refresh rate. I'm sure I saw a video of the lag with the A7iii on youtube, but it might have been one of the other models as you know what my memory's like ;)

Sure it will be fine for keeping up with what I shoot. Well, hopefully !

So like you say, it’s a huge crop to even see the effect. Looking at the original image, even though I know where the lines are, I don’t see them without zooming in.
I think it was more noticeable on the first image tbh, you could see that at normal size but even that was faint and in an extreme situation. Would be interesting to know how the A7iii would compare in the same test to know if it is actually worse than the A9. In one respect it's good to know about these things, but on the other hand it's not so good as you start to look for problems that you might never see. I'm sure most people who've read this thread (and any other similar threads) will scrutinise their images now looking for it, yet had they not known they would have just marvelled at their images without a care in the world ;) Could be worse, could have a Fuji :eek: :sneaky::whistle:

I think it was more noticeable on the first image tbh, you could see that at normal size but even that was faint and in an extreme situation. Would be interesting to know how the A7iii would compare in the same test to know if it is actually worse than the A9. In one respect it's good to know about these things, but on the other hand it's not so good as you start to look for problems that you might never see. I'm sure most people who've read this thread (and any other similar threads) will scrutinise their images now looking for it, yet had they not known they would have just marvelled at their images without a care in the world ;) Could be worse, could have a Fuji :eek: :sneaky::whistle:

The first image Dan posted was the actual 1:1 crop of the full size image (which is why it was more noticeable). Looking at the full image, there’s no way I’d have an issue giving that to any of my portrait/wedding clients, other than the massive flare caused by the extreme lighting!

The first image Dan posted was the actual 1:1 crop of the full size image (which is why it was more noticeable). Looking at the full image, there’s no way I’d have an issue giving that to any of my portrait/wedding clients, other than the massive flare caused by the extreme lighting!
I was referring to the first uncropped one ;)

Sure it will be fine for keeping up with what I shoot. Well, hopefully !
It was this video I was talking about, but surprisingly it was the A9 not A7iii. You always have to take this guy with a pinch of salt though, Dan's shot BIF and never complained about lag so I'm assuming angry tog has some weird setting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeC5IDril00

It was this video I was talking about, but surprisingly it was the A9 not A7iii. You always have to take this guy with a pinch of salt though, Dan's shot BIF and never complained about lag so I'm assuming angry tog has some weird setting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeC5IDril00

I never take his videos seriously as it’s mostly bull****t!
The Sony A9 has one of the best EVF’s

The Sony A9 was geared towards silent shutter usage, you get lag on the mechanical shutters, it’s not the EVF or refresh though, this similar across all the A7 bodies and not just the A9.

Last edited:
Hmmmm I hope he has some weird ass settings on as that’s not looking good.

No, I think he might be right ..... remember the Sony A9 is 5fps and not 10fps, so the blackout will be greater hence causing more slow down on the EVF.
Let me test...... I’ll report back.

As for the comparison, he’s forgetting the Fuji XT-2 is a APS-C sensor, smaller sensor, smaller shutter = smaller shutter lag time.
What a mupster! Lol :D

Last edited:
No, I think he might be right ..... remember the Sony A9 is 5fps and not 10fps, so the blackout will be greater hence causing more slow down on the EVF.
Let me test...... I’ll report back.

As for the comparison, he’s forgetting the Fuji XT-2 is a APS-C sensor, smaller sensor, smaller shutter = smaller shutter lag time.
What a mupster! Lol :D

Ahh I’m confused, so when is the A9 20fps?

I do a lot of focus tracking when horses are between jumps, approaching jumps, going over jumps so lag in the EVF will have quite an effect on this.

Ahh I’m confused, so when is the A9 20fps?

I do a lot of focus tracking when horses are between jumps, approaching jumps, going over jumps so lag in the EVF will have quite an effect on this.

The Sony A9 shoots at 20fps when using electronic shutter (silent).

I can’t seem to find videos of the A7 III shooting in 8 fps (minimal blackout) or 10 fps (image review) modes.

Here is the A7R III which I expect will be slower (lag) than the A7 III.

View: https://youtu.be/W1GmF7nq-z8

Sony should have delayed the Sony A9’s release and put in the 10 fps shutter system!
Grrrr

Last edited:
It's a worldwide shortage though from what I understand. US only getting in April.

Look at the fuss they create purposely holding stock back to increase demand and make more people want it just because there is a waiting list and ‘no stock’;). The more waiting, the more hype, the more hype, the more interest. Bet they’re stock piling loads of them.

Look at the fuss they create purposely holding stock back to increase demand and make more people want it just because there is a waiting list and ‘no stock’;). The more waiting, the more hype, the more hype, the more interest. Bet they’re stock piling loads of them.

I think it's illegal to purposefully hold back stock in some parts of the world...

The Sony A9 shoots at 20fps when using electronic shutter (silent).

I can’t seem to find videos of the A7 III shooting in 8 fps (minimal blackout) or 10 fps (image review) modes.

Here is the A7R III which I expect will be slower (lag) than the A7 III.

View: https://youtu.be/W1GmF7nq-z8

Sony should have delayed the Sony A9’s release and put in the 10 fps shutter system!
Grrrr

So what happens at 10fps in image preview? Sorry not up on mirrorless so no idea so trying to get all info possible!

Back