The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

the 85mm 1.4 isn't the greatest choice for my street photography with it's relatively low AF speed, but I got some standing still..

Yes, the Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM does have slow AF, which I believe struggles to keep up with fast move subjects using Eye-AF.
I used to own the Ziess Batis 85mm f1.8 and that was pretty quick to AF.
I keep looking at the current Zeiss discounts on offer......
Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 and 135mm f2.8 would be a good two lens prime setup for weddings / events. :D

Yes, the Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM does have slow AF, which I believe struggles to keep up with fast move subjects using Eye-AF.
I used to own the Ziess Batis 85mm f1.8 and that was pretty quick to AF.
I keep looking at the current Zeiss discounts on offer......
Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 and 135mm f2.8 would be a good two lens prime setup for weddings / events. :D

suggestion: spend that money on a holiday with your family and take some of your current gear with you.

Look at the crop from the centre, its not blurred, something whack is going on there in the corners.
Those corners are odd, almost looks like ghosting from two images superimposed :eek: I think the Zeiss is better in the centre too, but you'd expect that.

I keep going round in circles. Was looking at the D850 again last night and then saw the price of XQD cards and quickly scrapped that idea again :eek:

suggestion: spend that money on a holiday with your family and take some of your current gear with you.
Agreed although we need to buy a new house first...... :)
I am not planning on buying anything just yet and certainly don't need more lenses etc, I have more or less replicated my Fuji system apart from the Fujinon 90mm f2.0 :)

Those corners are odd, almost looks like ghosting from two images superimposed :eek: I think the Zeiss is better in the centre too, but you'd expect that.

I keep going round in circles. Was looking at the D850 again last night and then saw the price of XQD cards and quickly scrapped that idea again :eek:

Why do you need XQD? Thats optional right.

That does IMO look ridiculous on the small body though and I don't think I'd be interested in a combination like that and probably not in using a lens like that on my A7 either.

Unfortunately big lenses seem to be the norm now.

If you can find me a smaller lens that’s as wide as 1.4 and has AF, do let me know. Can’t defy physics, unfortunately!

If you can find me a smaller lens that’s as wide as 1.4 and has AF, do let me know. Can’t defy physics, unfortunately!

You or rather they could make 35mm f1.4's more compact but it'd involve optical compromises. I think that they're BIG these days because the makers are trying to make them very good and of course some of them may be bigger than they need to be because they're DSLR lenses. Maybe more compact native lenses could still be good enough for those of us who want a more compact lens even if it isn't one of the best 35mm f1.4's ever made.

I know there aren't any Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 fans here but that is a compact f1.4 and it is IMO a good lens.... MF though and with bokeh at f1.4-2 or so that many people will not like.

Agreed, however having the 20 fps burst rate enables some keepers when using Eye-AF with the FE 85mm f1.4 GM.
My youngster is pretty active, with Eye-AF in use on the 85mm f1.4, it is unable to consistently track the eye quick enough, so it all comes down to sparying and praying :D lol

You or rather they could make 35mm f1.4's more compact but it'd involve optical compromises. I think that they're BIG these days because the makers are trying to make them very good and of course some of them may be bigger than they need to be because they're DSLR lenses. Maybe more compact native lenses could still be good enough for those of us who want a more compact lens even if it isn't one of the best 35mm f1.4's ever made.

I know there aren't any Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 fans here but that is a compact f1.4 and it is IMO a good lens.... MF though and with bokeh at f1.4-2 or so that many people will not like.

It’s not that big though. Like, for a 1.4 lens with af, it’s really not that big. Equally, I’m not paying £600 for a lens that has vignetting, barrel distortion, crazy amounts of CA or is blurry in the corners because, what, it weighs 400g less? That defies all logic. Should we all buy sh*t lenses because they’re light? Not for me, thanks.

The Samyang is cheaper than the Sony 2.8, don’t forget.

It’s not that big though. Like, for a 1.4 lens with af, it’s really not that big. Equally, I’m not paying £600 for a lens that has vignetting, barrel distortion, crazy amounts of CA or is blurry in the corners because, what, it weighs 400g less? That defies all logic. Should we all buy sh*t lenses because they’re light? Not for me, thanks.

The Samyang is cheaper than the Sony 2.8, don’t forget.

Have you got yours yet?

Isn't that what f/1.8 and f/2.8 lenses are for? Just seems a weird complaint when we do have choices between large and small lenses in that range.

Weird? Where's the compact native 35mm f1.8?

Yes there's the 35mm f2.8 and I have that lens. What I don't have and don't want is a 35mm lens the size of a bazooka on the end of my A7. YMMV.

Yes there's the 35mm f2.8 and I have that lens. What I don't have and don't want is a 35mm lens the size of a bazooka on the end of my A7. YMMV.

Then you have the lens you need.

Is it worth saying again that there's no compact native mount AF 35mm f1.4 or f1.8?

Er, no :D

But apparently some of you are dreaming that there is and I have it.

Is it worth saying again that there's no compact native mount AF 35mm f1.4 or f1.8?

Er, no :D

But apparently some of you are dreaming that there is and I have it.

You won't get one either imo, nobody is going to tool up and AF an optically flawed lens to save on a few mm when they could do the same add some quality and sell more units at a higher price.

Best bet, get yourself an AF LM adapter.

I wonder if Tamron willmake a Sony mount for their 35mm 1.8. Thats quite a compact lens compared to its 1.4 counter parts.

You already own the small 35mm lens. Sony won't be making another one.

For comparison, the Nikon 35 1.4 is 9cm, Samyang is 11cm and the Canon 1.4 is 10cm. The Nikon costs £1,400. Canon £1,600 and the Samyang £500.

Go fish.

You already own the small 35mm lens. Sony won't be making another one.

For comparison, the Nikon 35 1.4 is 9cm, Samyang is 11cm and the Canon 1.4 is 10cm. The Nikon costs £1,400. Canon £1,600 and the Samyang £500.

Go fish.
Those figures don't account to when an adapter is attached to those lenses

Back