The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I don't think the A7 III is built like the A9 as that has a full magnesium body, the A7 III uses a plastic / hybrid rear with magnesium for the front.
A7mk3 us not built like the a9 or a7r3.

it has more plastic bits especially in the bottom.

A9 is built like a mini tank and the A7r3 not far off that

Riz just buy all 3 camera's.
Best of three worlds lol

I thought the only difference between A7iii and A7riii in terms of chassis is the back plate is Mag on the A7riii and Poly on the A7iii, otherwise identical.

Andy... hope you're going to post some pictures and a write up?

Loxia 85mm
Initial impressions:

the apparent compactness (that's the design purpose/compromise of course); the lens hood adds 3-4cm in length
then the surprisingly heavy weight (594g) for the size which gives a reassuring feeling of build quality. Mind you the Sony GM 85 1.4 is 820g, while the Batis 1.8 is 475g so...
in use, the usual loxia smooth-buttery focussing with that digital-zoom-in for exactness

Three pretty stunning quality prime 85mm lenses to choose from, we are lucky.

I was speaking to Wilkinsons. They currently have a £100 trade in bonus on the A73, but apparently this effectively is a Sony discount promotion of £100, so if you go through the ordering process this £100 can be automatically deducted (without having to do a trade-in) leaving the final price at £1899. The 1/2 price MC-11 and 3 year warranty still stand. All available until the end of April.
Also, for those on a budget, there is a £50 discount on the 50mm f1.8, so it now costs just £129! ... also until the end of April as I understand it.

Yeah - pretty big difference! Doubt the Art is any smaller, either. Guess I have a choice to make..

Will the Art be longer than the Nikon/Canon mounts due to the way the sensor works? I think like you said a 35mm F1.8/2 would sell shed loads even if its around the same size as the 28mm.

Will the Art be longer than the Nikon/Canon mounts due to the way the sensor works? I think like you said a 35mm F1.8/2 would sell shed loads even if its around the same size as the 28mm.

Exactly. This would be the sweet spot for travel etc - to keep size and weight down. I currently don’t have anything with decent reach, though. Carrying a 16-35/35/55 doesn’t quite cover me, now I’ve sold the 85. Dunno what to do!

I was speaking to Wilkinsons. They currently have a £100 trade in bonus on the A73, but apparently this effectively is a Sony discount promotion of £100, so if you go through the ordering process this £100 can be automatically deducted (without having to do a trade-in) leaving the final price at £1899. The 1/2 price MC-11 and 3 year warranty still stand. All available until the end of April.
Also, for those on a budget, there is a £50 discount on the 50mm f1.8, so it now costs just £129! ... also until the end of April as I understand it.
Are you tempted? ;)

On the verge..... :eek:

Waiting for Twist and Ohms definitive review...... :whistle:

Just buy it. Return it if it’s not for you - that’s why we have distance selling regs, after all.

@twist - I rarely used my 85, that’s the thing. Carrying it around just felt like unnecessary space/weight that could be taken by something else. Unless I can find a cheapish 70-200/70-300 FE I’ll probably temporarily just adapt something on the Canon side. Got better things to spend my money on atm! :p

I've just been out for a quick lunchtime walk with my A7 and new (to me) Nikon 20/3.5 I'm really happy with the output from the Nikon, along with its' close focus ability.

Nikon 20mm F3.5 lens on A7 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

All have just been transferred to my phone then uploaded. Full size versions are available on Flickr.

I am not updating mine….

Understandable, I was hoping for more changes than just the ones listed so figured it was worth the gamble (plus I'd rather it broke now than a year from now).

Question for you though, on your FE 50mm f/1.4, how noisy is it? I've got one here, the focus motor is fairly quiet but the aperture blades are a bit noisy. Which seems not quite right...

Yup, they never asked me for a part ex when using the voucher.

So... £2000
-100 "pex"
-100 MC11 (200 value)
-80 3yr extended warranty
------------
Effectively £1720

Question for you though, on your FE 50mm f/1.4, how noisy is it? I've got one here, the focus motor is fairly quiet but the aperture blades are a bit noisy. Which seems not quite right...

From holding my eye up to the EVF I can hear the AF noises, but I can't hear aperture blades when I use the manual aperture ring above the ribbed clicking of the ring itself. If I put my ear closer to the lens I can here a little metallic noise

Just buy it. Return it if it’s not for you - that’s why we have distance selling regs, after all.

@twist - I rarely used my 85, that’s the thing. Carrying it around just felt like unnecessary space/weight that could be taken by something else. Unless I can find a cheapish 70-200/70-300 FE I’ll probably temporarily just adapt something on the Canon side. Got better things to spend my money on atm! :p

that's not really why we have distance selling regs :rolleyes:

Yeah I adapt a canon 100-300mm which i got for £20 :D
Its reasonably sharp and rather contrasty too :eek:
IBIS works quite well :)

300mm @1/100s
34922994340_6c4fdde2a4_b.jpg

100mm @1/15s
33843984012_61e7ee2630_b.jpg

that's not really why we have distance selling regs :rolleyes:

Yeah I adapt a canon 100-300mm which i got for £20 :D
Its reasonably sharp and rather contrasty too :eek:
IBIS works quite well :)

300mm @1/100s
34922994340_6c4fdde2a4_b.jpg

100mm @1/15s
33843984012_61e7ee2630_b.jpg

Not bad, that!

As for DSR - as you’re not in face to face contact with the retailer, and as such unable to check/demo/inspect the item you’re purchasing, you have a right of return once you’ve inspected said items. Don’t see what the issue is, there. :)

Back