The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Are you really complaining that he suggested a battery that is almost 50% cheaper?
No I am not complaining about him suggesting an alternative which I am thankful for.
Just complaining about ex-pro's price itself.

But by the looks of it you can get them cheaper if bought as part of a dual charger kit.

You didn't say you wanted a battery for 50p. :rolleyes:
I'll tape some old flat AAs together for you.
Cheers :D

Like I said I wasn't complaining at you for the suggestion.

Currently wondering if the 'genuine' ones from HK (eBay) really are genuine Sony.

I think you need to head down to the optician sharpish.

Although I don't entirely agree, the Fuji XT-2 files didn't blow me away when compared to my original Sony A7 images for noise / ISO and DR abilities. On paper however they seem very close and the Auto-Focus system on the XT-2 was miles ahead of the Sony A7 / A7 II's system. :)
So I guess it comes down to what you prefer.

So what Sony gear do you have?
Are you ditching Fuji again?

Although I don't entirely agree, the Fuji XT-2 files didn't blow me away when compared to my original Sony A7 images for noise / ISO and DR abilities. On paper however they seem very close and the Auto-Focus system on the XT-2 was miles ahead of the Sony A7 / A7 II's system. :)

Sony APS-C like A6300 or A6500 are probably a better comparison to XT2 and rest of fuji.
A7 series is FF.

It's like comparing A7 series to GFX. Not really a like for like :p

Last edited:

i found his statement pretty disrespectful to anyone who has ever posted photos in those threads. not the first time and won't be the last i guess.

don't have any sony gear yet but due an a7r2 and batis 25mm. I've just had over £1000 come out of my account fraudulently so that is currently on hold while the bank do their thing.
used the xt1 on an engagement shoot last night. that camera will be going and so will the 23mm. might keep hold of the 56mm and look for a pro2.

i found his statement pretty disrespectful to anyone who has ever posted photos in those threads. not the first time and won't be the last i guess.

don't have any sony gear yet but due an a7r2 and batis 25mm. I've just had over £1000 come out of my account fraudulently so that is currently on hold while the bank do their thing.
used the xt1 on an engagement shoot last night. that camera will be going and so will the 23mm. might keep hold of the 56mm and look for a pro2.

Yeah I hear what your saying, I found the Fuji system has a certain charm, but because I was spoiled with FF previous I just had to return. :)
Hopefully the banks can sort it out and you can get into full Sony GAS :D lol
I am planning to build a home cinema so my Sony GAS days are numbered :eek: lol

Yeah I hear what your saying, I found the Fuji system has a certain charm, but because I was spoiled with FF previous I just had to return. :)

I've just bought an house and am moving in on friday, i have one of the rooms that i'd like to use as a cinema room too. have some contacts in the AV industry so currently researching a few bits.

See within the menu system of the camera you would think it would stay on the last option you were on within the menu. Sometimes after a few shots etc it would revert back to the original menu instead of the one you were on last. Dont think my canon ever done that

Have you ordered the new Sony A10 home cinema AV unit?

You can attach GMaster speakers to it

Have you ordered the new Sony A10 home cinema AV unit?

You can attach GMaster speakers to it
@jonneymendoza

Nope, I am going to retain my existing JAMO THX 9.1 speaker system and then add 4x SVS Prime Elevation speakers for Dobly Atmos.
Probably power it via a Onkyo amplifier and Oppo BD203 UHD player feeding a 4K projector (99-106" screen)
Still at the planning stage.

@addicknchips will PM you regarding the cinema room plan.

Cheers,

Riz

Also, from what you have posted, and don't take it negatively, the files you posted, the colours from the A7 are frankly unacceptable to me, in my opinion, I would not deliver those to my clients.

So yes, old Sony cameras would not get a recommendation.

Wait, what. You're honestly saying you wouldn't be able to get a set of files out of an original A7 that you could deliver to a client? Is that a joke?

Do you provide your clients unedited jpegs straight out of camera or something? Cause short of that, your answer is completely baffling.

Wait, what. You're honestly saying you wouldn't be able to get a set of files out of an original A7 that you could deliver to a client? Is that a joke?

Do you provide your clients unedited jpegs straight out of camera or something? Cause short of that, your answer is completely baffling.

I am sure I can.

But my point was based solely on what he has posted, if that is indicative of what is produced from the A7 with those manual lenses, that is unacceptable.

Last edited:
They are £30 :rolleyes:

For £26 more I could get a genuine one or for less import a genuine one from HK

The Ebay ones are generally fakes. A good clue is that they all have the same serial number on the hologram (it ends in 9E - possibly 59E or 89E). I've not found a genuine one for less than £70.

The Ebay ones are generally fakes. A good clue is that they all have the same serial number on the hologram (it ends in 9E - possibly 59E or 89E). I've not found a genuine one for less than £70.
I have found them for £56 ;)

Thanks for the tip I'll check the serial number.

I am sure I can.

But my point was based solely on what he has posted, if that is indicative of what is produced from the A7 with those manual lenses, that is unacceptable.

So you’re saying, based on a non-professional, enthusiast photographer using 20-30 year old lenses, that his results are “unacceptable?”

Do you know many professional photographers using cheap film lenses on modern digital bodies and providing those photos to clients? I certainly can’t think of any.

If anything, this whole thing just comes across as judgemental, sneering and in very poor taste. I’m pretty sure you know that the original A7 is more than capable, but can’t resist a snide remark to another user. Pathetic.

It's the best 50 I have used. I don't really use that focal length much :(

I use 35-40mm a lot and sony is :mad:

55 is a touch tight for me, but the size and portability of that lens means I can’t get rid!

40 is my sweet spot, I reckon. Would be awesome to have a good AF 40 on E mount.

55 is a touch tight for me, but the size and portability of that lens means I can’t get rid!

40 is my sweet spot, I reckon. Would be awesome to have a good AF 40 on E mount.
Zeiss Batis 40mm f2.0 coming soon ;)

Any chance of sharing - that's a great price if genuine. I've seen others claiming to be genuine for £27....
Bristol cameras :)

Now that I think about it if you factor in delivery charges that's more like £62

Bristol cameras :)

Now that I think about it if you factor in delivery charges that's more like £62

I was just going to say - £62 with delivery. Still a good price though - best I've seen, and should be the real deal with Bristol Cameras.

So you’re saying, based on a non-professional, enthusiast photographer using 20-30 year old lenses, that his results are “unacceptable?”

Do you know many professional photographers using cheap film lenses on modern digital bodies and providing those photos to clients? I certainly can’t think of any.

If anything, this whole thing just comes across as judgemental, sneering and in very poor taste. I’m pretty sure you know that the original A7 is more than capable, but can’t resist a snide remark to another user. Pathetic.

Let's go back to the start shall we?

I’ve been thinking about chopping in my Fuji kit and dipping a toe into Sony water with an older model to see how it feels. I’ll be honest and say I’ve been a bit underwhelmed when I’ve picked them up previously but hey I need to be a bit more prudent about these things at present.

I was thinking about picking up an older A7R or A7ii as the used prices on these are pretty good now.

In truth I don’t need the huge MP of the a7r2 which is what led me to look at the A7ii to start really. I’m also not really wanting to drop a huge amount of cash on the new a7iiir until I know Sony is for me.

I’m wondering if anyone here is still using them and their thoughts.

@wibbly thinking about getting a Sony A7 or A7II.

I don’t think the older Sony cameras are a good indication of how good Sony is right now or because to be honest, I’d take a X-T2 over a A7II.

I said old Sony bodies are not comparable to his Fuji gear.

Non-professional, enthusiast has nothing to do with his quality of images, I am talking about technical, not artistically speaking.

Using old lenses has nothing to do with the quality of his images, I am talking about technical, not artistically speaking..

His images are his images. The whole argument was whether @wibbly should chop in his Fuji gear to an older A7 or A72. @woofwoof ‘s argument is that he should because of the superior image quality and because of all the options of legacy lenses.

The only person here that I know uses an A7 and legacy lenses are him. I know of no one else. If those are the resulting images from them…it’s not really a solid argument to get an A7.

Is that not a logical argument?

I don’t look at those images and think “god, my Fuji gear can’t get those awesome colours and definition”. Would that not be what someone want to do when they upgrade gear?

This isn’t about whether the user on the other end is professional or amateur, instead of saying “I find them unacceptable to produce them to a client” is just a way of qualify them in terms of IQ. I am not, and in NO POINT have I ever mentioned the quality of the photo from an artistic merit, I have never said they are crap. I am merely talking about the IQ of the image as a result of the camera through those legacy lenses.

If the argument is using those lenses and the A7 can get you great looking images, prove it. Because it is a very hard sell to get someone who is used to using auto focus lenses to drop that habit to go into a system for the reasons of legacy lenses when you can’t even see the fruits on the other side.

Last edited:
I was just going to say - £62 with delivery. Still a good price though - best I've seen, and should be the real deal with Bristol Cameras.
Still cheaper than £75.

I am in two minds right now. 3rd party or this...
With the new larger batteries I wouldn't need more than a one spare I think.

Last edited:
If an image is under exposed, is it judgemental to say it is under exposed?

If an image has a colour tint, is it judgemental to say it has a colour tint?

If an image is over exposed with a wrong white balance, is it judgemental to say it is what it is?

I find the images from the A7 with legacy lenses as presented have an unacceptable image quality. Yes, I am sure the camera can do better, but should I argue for both sides in the same post?

No, you shouldn’t get the A7 because it is well known that Sony’s colour science wasn’t good during the A7 and A7II. They are a lot better now.

Yes, you should get the A7 because despite the crap AF and weird colour science I can get great images from it if you put in some work.

No, you shouldn’t get the A7 because I think the Fuji you have now has better colours.

Yes, you should get the A7 because you might end up getting a lot of old manual lenses, discover a love for legacy glass that you never knew you had.

No, you shouldn’t get the A7 because it was a below par camera when it came out, it is still a below par camera now, even lower.

Yes, you should get the A7 because you can get into FF.

Sometimes you just pick a side and stick to it, I am sure anyone who in this section of the forum will know most if not all of the above, it is down to you to priorities what is more important to you, as a poster you pick one side and make your case. My feeling is that the negative of the A7 wayyyyyy outweigh its positive.

Still cheaper than £75.

I said it was the best price I'd seen :)

I am in two minds right now. 3rd party or this...
With the new larger batteries I wouldn't need more than a one spare I think.

I've got 1 spare. Which feels abnormally few, but has so far been totally fine and I've not fully depleted a single battery yet. I'm tempted to get 1 other, but I generally always have too many batteries. I had 5 with my XT-2 and used at most 4 in a day. I might get a fake for £27 for the third I don't really need.

I said it was the best price I'd seen :)

I've got 1 spare. Which feels abnormally few, but has so far been totally fine and I've not fully depleted a single battery yet. I'm tempted to get 1 other, but I generally always have too many batteries. I had 5 with my XT-2 and used at most 4 in a day. I might get a fake for £27 for the third I don't really need.

Yes I know, sorry didn't mean jump on you. Was just thinking out loud about prices :)

Think I'll buy a genuine one for the first spare.

Just 5? I had 7 genuine Sony ones and 6 3rd party ones at one point :D (of the older smaller np-fw50 ones that is)
Funnily I hadn't even paid for most of them, I somehow amassed them lol

Yes I know, sorry didn't mean jump on you. Was just thinking out loud about prices :)

Think I'll buy a genuine one for the first spare.

Just 5? I had 7 genuine Sony ones and 6 3rd party ones at one point :D (of the older smaller np-fw50 ones that is)
Funnily I hadn't even paid for most of them, I somehow amassed them lol

Yes, 2 genuine batteries is probably sensible. It really feels a lot like the battery life on a DSLR in that there is very little range anxiety. A lot easier to manage and less weight to carry!

Back