The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I ordered a couple of UHS-II SD cards from Amazon warehouse (because of the deals) and then realised people possibly returned them because they could be faulty :rolleyes:
Anyway to test these properly? I realise they can fail down the line but any software I can use to test them immediately?

I ordered a couple of UHS-II SD cards from Amazon warehouse (because of the deals) and then realised people possibly returned them because they could be faulty :rolleyes:
Anyway to test these properly? I realise they can fail down the line but any software I can use to test them immediately?

Or bought fakes and then bought the real ones through amazon and returned fakes for a refund?

at one point it was £600!

Was that with the lens? I've no idea on Sony pricing tbh, just saw that deal pop up. I have a vague interest in them as a FF mirrorless would be sweet, but I hear the IBIS sucks ass

Was that with the lens? I've no idea on Sony pricing tbh, just saw that deal pop up. I have a vague interest in them as a FF mirrorless would be sweet, but I hear the IBIS sucks ass

Yes with lens.
It doesn't have IBIS at all, so yeah it would definitely not be very good if you try to use it :D

Yes it was with the kit lens, arrives tomorrow [emoji2]

I would be looking at the A7II at the least, that has IBIS right?

The link you posted is to the original vanilla A7.

A7II does have IBIS and it doesn't suck ass. Lot of other things in this body sucks ass though.

The link you posted is to the original vanilla A7.

A7II does have IBIS and it doesn't suck ass. Lot of other things in this body sucks ass though.

Well, I didn't link it for me or I'd be buying it already, it was just sharing info.

I have a vague interest in them as a FF mirrorless would be sweet, but I hear the IBIS sucks ass

Separate sentence, I mean in general. What other things would you say suck ass? I'm always weighing up options. I use a Panasonic G80 atm, love it, as it's a tidy, robust little camera with cracking IBIS. Of course I'd love better low light and all that, but there's always a compromise. I shot FF for almost 6yr, with the D800E, but got rid as it was too bulky and clumsy, I hated the shutter sound and was sick of the 80mb RAW files. The only thing I ever missed about it was the low light performance

Well, I didn't link it for me or I'd be buying it already, it was just sharing info.

Separate sentence, I mean in general. What other things would you say suck ass? I'm always weighing up options. I use a Panasonic G80 atm, love it, as it's a tidy, robust little camera with cracking IBIS. Of course I'd love better low light and all that, but there's always a compromise. I shot FF for almost 6yr, with the D800E, but got rid as it was too bulky and clumsy, I hated the shutter sound and was sick of the 80mb RAW files. The only thing I ever missed about it was the low light performance

The colour science is ok but not near as good as the new gen models

The AF is passable provided you can live with a not perfect hit rate

The battery life is s***e

suck ass - what horrible slang

Was actually me started it this time :D Don't know about in the UK, but here in Ireland it just equates to 'is s**t'

The colour science is ok but not near as good as the new gen models

The AF is passable provided you can live with a not perfect hit rate

The battery life is s***e

This is the A7II? I have to admit it's tempting, fast AF is never something top of the list for me. I don't do sports and any wildlife I do I can manage with MF lenses [Birds perched rather than in flight, or macro work]

I wouldn't say the battery life is sh!t. I normally take a spare for my A7 but very rarely use it. I suppose if you're a machine gunner or shooting all day you'll need a few spares but saying it's sh!t is a bit much, IMO. I'd also argue with the AF hit rate but again I suppose it depends how and what you shoot. For static stuff my A7 is as far as I can tell pretty much accurate all the time.

On A7 v MFT, I have a GX80 and GX9 and the A7 is better than both if you go looking for the differences which for me include DR, sharpness and noise performance but in a whole image viewed normally most things would only be noticed by geeks and not by normal people :D In use I'd say that the biggest plus for an A7 over a MFT is DR in high DR scenes.

Last edited:
Was actually me started it this time :D Don't know about in the UK, but here in Ireland it just equates to 'is s**t'

This is the A7II? I have to admit it's tempting, fast AF is never something top of the list for me. I don't do sports and any wildlife I do I can manage with MF lenses [Birds perched rather than in flight, or macro work]

May as well get a cheap a7 mk1 then if it's basically down to image quality... Big premium to pay just for Ibis.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the battery life is sh!t. I normally take a spare for my A7 but very rarely use it. I suppose if you're a machine gunner or shooting all day you'll need a few spares but saying it's sh!t is a bit much, IMO.

2000 shots at Goodwood on Friday with the a7RII, over 10 hours with the camera on the whole time: 2 and a half batteries depleted. Pretty good going I thought, the batteries are pretty small and light relative to some DSLR ones anyway.

Another few thoughts.

With an A7 a MFT user would lose a couple of things, IS and the ability to shoot silently and there's no built in flash either which on the RF style MFT cameras (dunno about the SLR style ones) is pretty good as it can be tilted. A7's are also slow in operation compared to Panasonic MFT which are like little sportscars.

2000 shots at Goodwood on Friday with the a7RII, over 10 hours with the camera on the whole time: 2 and a half batteries depleted. Pretty good going I thought, the batteries are pretty small and light relative to some DSLR ones anyway.

I remember taking a bag full of rolls of film out, even one battery gives me more shots :D

I tend to turn the camera off between taking pictures which may help.

There's a Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 in the for sale section, I'm surprised it hasn't been sold yet. IMO it's a fantastic lens with a modern look and none of the "classic" rendering stuff that divides opinion with the 35mm f1.4.

May as well get a cheap a7 mk1 then if it's basically down to image quality... Big premium to pay just for Ibis.

I might try swing it to have just that along with my MFT gear at some point. I do love me some decent IBIS, it's why I went to MFT from Fuji. FF is a different story though, could be worth without the IBIS if it's great in low light

Another few thoughts.

With an A7 a MFT user would lose a couple of things, IS and the ability to shoot silently and there's no built in flash either which on the RF style MFT cameras (dunno about the SLR style ones) is pretty good as it can be tilted. A7's are also slow in operation compared to Panasonic MFT which are like little sportscars.

It's mostly the IBIS for me personally tbh, I don't need fast AF in general, and I haven't once used the pop up flash on my G80 - I have 2 speedlights I prefer to use. The silent shutter isn't a great issue either, unless Sony's are mad loud? I mostly use the mech shutter on the Pany - which is nice and soft/quiet to be fair.

Last edited:
The A7 is much louder than any of my MFT cameras have been but not in the same league as my Canon 20D as I remember that camera. Outside in the world the shutter noise has never been a problem for me but indoors it could well be, I wouldn't use it in a church or museum or the like.

Anyway, if you buy on line and aren't happy you have the option of returning it without embarrassment or hassle.

Last edited:
Red Flower...

Sony A7III with Sony 85mm f1.8 lens

Red Flower by CFC Photo, on Flickr

Beautiful

The A7 is much louder than any of my MFT cameras have been but not in the same league as my Canon 20D as I remember that camera. Outside in the world the shutter noise has never been a problem for me but indoors it could well be, I wouldn't use it in a church or museum or the like.

Anyway, if you buy on line and aren't happy you have the option of returning it without embarrassment or hassle.

I've had some loud cameras over time, in particular the Nikon D800E - that thing had quite the 'Slap!' - I remember shooting a Christening with it and being embarrassed how loud it was in church with the echo - I wonder why mirrorless cameras can be so loud though? they should benefit from lack of mirror surely? If Pany can do it, why not Sony?

Beautiful

I've had some loud cameras over time, in particular the Nikon D800E - that thing had quite the 'Slap!' - I remember shooting a Christening with it and being embarrassed how loud it was in church with the echo - I wonder why mirrorless cameras can be so loud though? they should benefit from lack of mirror surely? If Pany can do it, why not Sony?

Smaller sensor vs. bigger sensor.
Having said that later generations of Sony bodies are more discreet.

Smaller sensor vs. bigger sensor.
Having said that later generations of Sony bodies are more discreet.

I get the bigger sensor part, but they shouldn't be anywhere near as loud as a mirrored dslr surely? I can't say I have heard a FF Sony being shot near me, so can only go by video reviews and what people say.

I get the bigger sensor part, but they shouldn't be anywhere near as loud as a mirrored dslr surely? I can't say I have heard a FF Sony being shot near me, so can only go by video reviews and what people say.
It's not as loud as a DSLR because there is no mirror slap. It's still kinda loud I suppose. A7R is louder because it doesn't have electronic first shutter. So mechanical shutter opens and closes twice.
A7, A7R and A7II are the only three without silent shutter mode. A7II is just A7 with IBIS, a rather disappointing update by Sony IMO.

Back