The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think it’s a big ask for the Z6/7 to match the mark iii A7’s tbh, wouldn’t surprise me if they fall short. How much the reduced number of AF points affects real world use we’ll have to wait and see, but I’d be surprised if the Nikon AF matches Sony on the whole. Assuming the stats are right, why they would cripple the Z6 AF compared to the Z7 I just don’t know. I know there’ll be a price difference but how much does this actually affect price?

if they don't match then what's the point?

well may be there is a point if the adapter will make all F lenses work like native lenses...

On paper though this is a solid start. I think it will keep a lot of Nikon users happy, it doesn’t need to beat the Sony but good enough for them to stay.
But it would give the internet a field day ;)

if they don't match then what's the point?

well may be there is a point if the adapter will make all F lenses work like native lenses...
There’s a lot of cameras that don’t live up to the A7iii performance but people still buy them ;)

There’s a lot of cameras that don’t live up to the A7iii performance but people still buy them ;)

erm... no they don't at least not in great qualities.

The point I am trying to get at is this is a mount switch for pretty much any user inc. nikon user. if the adapter provides full native like functionality (and I really really really hope it does at least to give sony a kick up their butt to improve their adapter support) then I can see how its a nice option for F-mount users. If the adapter gives only a subset of AF features like on sony a-mount then its not really much of an option tbh.

erm... no they don't at least not in great qualities.
sure they do (y)
The point I am trying to get at is this is a mount switch for pretty much any user inc. nikon user. if the adapter provides full native like functionality (and I really really really hope it does at least to give sony a kick up their butt to improve their adapter support) then I can see how its a nice option for F-mount users. If the adapter gives only a subset of AF features like on sony a-mount then its not really much of an option tbh.
I think on the internet the new Nikon will be judged against the Sony that’s for sure, any shortcomings will be highlighted, and will be rejoiced by Sony users ;)

The reality is that there’s a large portion of Nikon users that will not contemplate Sony, or any other brand for that matter. If the camera is ‘good enough’ then people will buy it. I won’t buy Z-mount until it at least matches the performance of my D850 though.

I think on the internet the new Nikon will be judged against the Sony that’s for sure, any shortcomings will be highlighted, and will be rejoiced by Sony users ;)

Yeah don't really get the rejoicing part! If nikon do well its good for sony users too. It'll force sony to do better. That's the only reason I was little disappointed at the first glance of Z6.
I was really happy to see the 35mm f1.8 and i am hoping the adapter is epic. Makes me happy if they beat sony :D

Yeah don't really get the rejoicing part! If nikon do well its good for sony users too. It'll force sony to do better. That's the only reason I was little disappointed at the first glance of Z6.
I was really happy to see the 35mm f1.8 and i am hoping the adapter is epic. Makes me happy if they beat sony :D
My thoughts on cameras (or tech in general) is that the latest release should be at least as good as the current market, for a given price point. On that basis if the Nikon isn’t as good (as a package) as the Sony mark iii’s then I will see it as a bit of a disappointment. However, I do think the likelihood that it will be a match is slim.

If it’s ‘decent’ I’m sure folk will buy it. After all, people bought the first gen A7’s, and people bought the Canon M series from day one.

Love how they don’t bother to put the hood on the zeiss.
It's doesn't need one, it's that awesome. :D

On a serious note it's the shortest lens of the three and the hood is shorter too. But it and it's hood are wider than the other two.

It's doesn't need one, it's that awesome. :D

On a serious note it's the shortest lens of the three and the hood is shorter too. But it and it's hood are wider than the other two.

Shorter by like 1mm..... It's so awesome with its softness wide open and huge amounts of CA

It was a joke. But i admire you jumping to your Sony’s defence so quickly.

Seriously though the zeiss lenses are actually my favourite. Have a premium feel and look to them.

;) Sure it was and I wasn't wrong. 'My Sonys' what like I own GM or Zeiss :LOL:

Last edited:
Back