The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

...some of the native Sony glass, especially as so far many of the lenses havebeen a bit suspect quality wise.
Are they? I thought the only questionable FE lens was the 24-70mm f4 and even that has had some good to very good reviews on line. Anyway, I'm mostly a prime guy and there don't seem to be too many question marks if any over the primes and to be honest I'd rather have the compact and very good 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 than a Canon AF lens via adapter. Actually I don't think there's a Canon 50mm I'd want to own. The Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's are good though.

PS I'd say that the FD's I have are rather average. I'd rate the Rokkors above them.

Last edited:
Are they? I thought the only questionable FE lens was the 24-70mm f4 and even that has had some good to very good reviews on line. Anyway, I'm mostly a prime guy and there don't seem to be too many question marks if any over the primes and to be honest I'd rather have the compact and very good 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 than a Canon AF lens via adapter. Actually I don't think there's a Canon 50mm I'd want to own. The Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's are good though.

PS I'd say that the FD's I have are rather average. I'd rate the Rokkors above them.

The 24-70 is the main one, not sure if I'm too happy with the copy I have it might have to go back, the £1200+ 35 f1.4 also seems to suffer from a lot of QC issues

Ive played with Nikon G lenses and Canon L lenses and the FE5518 Prime I have is very impressive build quality wise (as well as performance).

Anyway ... I love the articulating screen, its proving useful with candid shots.

Dad your so boring by Chris McDonald, on Flickr
Nice one and the look of indignation too. Seems Talkphotography strips out the EXIF, so was this with a Nikon, Canon or Sony lens?
Met a Bulldog last month who was very aptly named "Winston" what is Her/His name?

Nice one and the look of indignation too. Seems Talkphotography strips out the EXIF, so was this with a Nikon, Canon or Sony lens?
Met a Bulldog last month who was very aptly named "Winston" what is Her/His name?

Thanks. The exif is available if you click through to Flickr. It was taken with the Sony Zeiss Sonnar FE5518.

Funnily enough he is also called Winston. Seems apt even if it is not original!

Thanks. The exif is available if you click through to Flickr. It was taken with the Sony Zeiss Sonnar FE5518.

Funnily enough he is also called Winston. Seems apt even if it is not original!
Thanks Chris for the Flickr tip.

Well he is a Winston - not the Winston we met on Ham Hill in Somerset I guess, but a definite Winston indeed!
:)

Well I liked using the 17-40 that I borrowed from my friend, seems to work as well as the native glass does and the IQ seems to be quite a bit better than the Sony 24-70 f4 that I also have.. I think I'm going to send back the 24-70 and maybe look to pickup another Canon zoom (24-70 / 24-105) as I'm only planning to use the zooms really for landscapes or on a tripod.

This would let me pickup a couple of primes to use when I'm more "mobile"

Wee one from me with the 17-40

20151227 - Shore 2 by Chris Mitchell, on Flickr

Happy with all my l lenses and canon glass so much so that santa bought me a7r ii to go alongside my a7 ii oh and must of been a good boy as got a 2nd metabones too :) the af us perfect on both I'm over the moon
Not sure that I've read that the 35mm f1.4 has quality issues as such but I'm sure I read about set up issues, I'm sure I read somewhere that it's full of shims and I think I also read that they're doing a new one? Maybe to get away from what sounds like a messy long winded set up process with pockets full of shims. Maybe with ever increasing resolution and customers expecting across the frame excellence messy and long winded set up processes with shims are actually the way forward :confused:

Just sat and done my first prints in quite some time, a calendar... and I'm very disappointed with the print quality from my Epson R2880. I've just fitted a new set of inks and the colours are a bit off and there's banding in the blues. I thought it might work itself through but after 12 prints it's just the same. Guess I'll have to buy a new set of inks, so much for Epson ink being so much better than the third party inks.

Print quality is ok for normal viewing if you don't spot that the colours are slightly off but under a magnifying glass the banding is painfully obvious.

Epson... after all I've been through with this printer I will never ever buy another. My HP was much better at producing pictures that looked like they do on my screen but it suffered from paper jams. This Epson can feed paper beautifully and has never jammed but suffers from the dreaded Epson dark print issue, occasional off colours and now banding... I've seen all before and they may disappear with new inks but GRRRRRRR!!!!!! Where's you consistency and QC Epson?

Just sat and done my first prints in quite some time, a calendar... and I'm very disappointed with the print quality from my Epson R2880. I've just fitted a new set of inks and the colours are a bit off and there's banding in the blues. I thought it might work itself through but after 12 prints it's just the same. Guess I'll have to buy a new set of inks, so much for Epson ink being so much better than the third party inks.

Print quality is ok for normal viewing if you don't spot that the colours are slightly off but under a magnifying glass the banding is painfully obvious.

Epson... after all I've been through with this printer I will never ever buy another. My HP was much better at producing pictures that looked like they do on my screen but it suffered from paper jams. This Epson can feed paper beautifully and has never jammed but suffers from the dreaded Epson dark print issue, occasional off colours and now banding... I've seen all before and they may disappear with new inks but GRRRRRRR!!!!!! Where's you consistency and QC Epson?
Not sure if you tried but run print head cleaner a few times Epson don't like being off for a long time

With doing the 12 prints it's had a jolly good work out which should have given it time to clear any issues (12 prints at max quality takes quite some time) but I'll give it a good workout and try again.

If the ink is dry in the head it won't matter. You could do 100 prints. You need to remove and clean the head.

I haven't see your results but if you can genuinely only see the banding under a magnifying glass I'd assume the calendar recipients should be ok unless they're pretty anal about images!

I am being anal but as well as the calendar which will be posted off as is I've also been asked for some prints and I'm just not happy to supply what's coming out of the printer today. Previous prints don't have banding even under a magnifying glass so it'll just be a matter of running through several cleaning cycles and / or replacing a few inks. Shame as the banding seems to have appeared with the new inks.

The printer is capable of excellent prints but it's hard work and always has been.

Last edited:
If the ink is dry in the head it won't matter. You could do 100 prints. You need to remove and clean the head.
Hmm would you care to expand on the head removal bit on an Epson R2880 and in my case an R3000. Also having removed it how you clean it?
I'm just being facetious here, as my R2880 went to the tip this summer and my R3000 is possibly going to Epson heaven too if I cant sort out all 20 missing nozzle check bars across 6 colours, which DOES impact printing quality AFAIAC.
On the lighter side I recommend this guy's solution.
Persevere to the end, don't jump ahead ;-)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6kOEtgQqE

Jamie

I am being anal but as well as the calendar which will be posted off as is I've also been asked for some prints and I'm just not happy to supply what's coming out of the printer today. Previous prints don't have banding even under a magnifying glass so it'll just be a matter of running through several cleaning cycles and / or replacing a few inks. Shame as the banding seems to have appeared with the new inks.

The printer is capable of excellent prints but it's hard work and always has been.

Alan
As you have an Epson R2880, you are in a better position than me... At least you can inject head cleaning solution straight into your offending head(s) and leave it overnight to try to unclog it (there are a variety of agents you can inject such as Clever Clogs from Permajet and Magic Bullet from Marruttusa). I have the Epson R3000 (and the latest Epson SCP 600 is the same), the cartridges are quite removed from the head location (don't move with the head) and are fed by FIXED Epson tubing to the head from the cartridges so you can't inject directly into the head which makes my life quite a challenge. Should I get this head producing a reasonably good nozzle check I will look into employing a plug which will automatically turn the printer on every couple of days - let it do a clean and set the power off timer to say 4 hours, because I know I'm guilty of going for many weeks without printing and expect it to work first time every time :-(

Hmm would you care to expand on the head removal bit on an Epson R2880 and in my case an R3000. Also having removed it how you clean it?
I'm just being facetious here, as my R2880 went to the tip this summer and my R3000 is possibly going to Epson heaven too if I cant sort out all 20 missing nozzle check bars across 6 colours, which DOES impact printing quality AFAIAC.
On the lighter side I recommend this guy's solution.
Persevere to the end, don't jump ahead ;-)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6kOEtgQqE

Jamie

View: https://youtu.be/4GPNmUIQR6k

Not sure how to remove a head on your model but its usually a case of removing a few screws and pulling it out. Once you've done that you soak it in IPA. Nothing to lose if its going to the tip.

When did this become the broken Epson forum?
This info would be useful to a lot more people in the printing thread.

View: https://youtu.be/4GPNmUIQR6k

Not sure how to remove a head on your model but its usually a case of removing a few screws and pulling it out. Once you've done that you soak it in IPA. Nothing to lose if its going to the tip.

Forgive me but I've been through that video many times, AND did what he suggested BUT IT ISN'T ABOUT REMOVING THE HEAD

"A few screws" indeed - methinks you belittle the task. I have watched an Epson head removal video (on a higher end printer which was much more accessible to panels and head removal maybe because it was higher end) and it is nevertheless quite a task.
Not just a simple flippant "You need to remove and clean the head"

I think I tried to give Alan a bit of advice which was much more easily doable rather than "You need to remove and clean the head" and "Nothing to lose if its going to the tip" (the latter quote was to me - Thanks)

Forgive me but I've been through that video many times, AND did what he suggested BUT IT ISN'T ABOUT REMOVING THE HEAD

"A few screws" indeed - methinks you belittle the task. I have watched an Epson head removal video (on a higher end printer which was much more accessible to panels and head removal maybe because it was higher end) and it is nevertheless quite a task.
Not just a simple flippant "You need to remove and clean the head"

I think I tried to give Alan a bit of advice which was much more easily doable rather than "You need to remove and clean the head" and "Nothing to lose if its going to the tip" (the latter quote was to me - Thanks)

I didn't say it was, it's another thing to try before removing the head. I've removed the head on an Epson large format and canon pros. Yes, you said yours was going to the tip so that's what I said. If you're going to bitch don't ask.

When did this become the broken Epson forum?
This info would be useful to a lot more people in the printing thread.
Well this thread has been through many incarnations to date which had no bearing on Sony a7x etc. trawl back through it if you like.
If someone has a problem printing from whatever camera, why not try to help?

Yes, but you will get more help in the dedicated printing thread, and members will find the info quicker using the search facility.

I didn't say it was, it's another thing to try before removing the head. I've removed the head on an Epson large format and canon pros. Yes, you said yours was going to the tip so that's what I said. If you're going to bitch don't ask.
Frankly, I didn't ASK and given your attitude, I wouldn't ask you for a light buddy!
You have been pretty quick to "bitch" yourself so don't start telling other forum members "If you're going to bitch don't ask" why reply if that's all you can come up with.

Last edited:
How do you stop our printers ink from drying up?

Do a print. Every 1-2 weeks, even if it's a smaller print, or a clean and test. The heads easy to clean on the canon pros. Mine got completely gunked up when I never used it for a couple months. Printed loads of test's and nothing happened, few cleans but still nothing. Cleaned the head, changed the ink and it was sorted.

Yes, but you will get more help in the dedicated printing thread, and members will find the info quicker using the search facility.
BUT, I didn't ask for help, I only responded to Alan essentially, my apologies for stealing your bandwidth with stuff of no interest to you, had I wanted help I'd have for sure posted in such alternate fora.

Frankly, I didn't ASK and given your attitude, I would ask you for a light buddy!
You have been pretty quick to "bitch" yourself so don't start telling other forum members "If you're going to bitch don't ask" why reply if that's all you can come up with.

Quick to bitch about what? Trying to offer advice when you replied to my post and being offered a sarcastic comment in return.

Last edited:
Do a print. Every 1-2 weeks, even if it's a smaller print, or a clean and test. The heads easy to clean on the canon pros. Mine got completely gunked up when I never used it for a couple months. Printed loads of test's and nothing happened, few cleans but still nothing. Cleaned the head, changed the ink and it was sorted.
Quality thanks

Ah, sorry to take the thread off topic, twas wrong of me and I'll hang my head is shame...

And just one last note on the Epson and being married to it... It is capable of very good quality prints and I wouldn't want to denigrate it too much but it's just that getting the very best out of it seems to take time and effort and ever since I retired I've deliberately tried to spend less time with my head in a piece of technology (as for years I used to fix stuff including Epson printers...) and these days I tend to like things that just work rather than things that need their hands holding... like the R2880 seems to.

And back on thread with A7 related stuff...

Last edited:
Last night, very late, I took the 35mm f2.8 which has been on my camera since I got it off and replaced it with my Novoflex adapter and Minolta Rokkor 85mm f2 (I nearly went for the Minolta 50mm f1.2) for a late night ramble. All the shots were at f2 and 25,600 until we got home and it dropped to a less extreme 3200/6400. I'm not going to post any as it's only family stuff but I thought I would share the following...

- Peaking gave good accuracy at f2 in a situation in which I don't believe that any camera I've had before would auto focus.
- After processing the results are good enough for screen viewing and would no doubt make good small prints too.
- This is the best camera I've ever had.
:D

Last night, very late, I took the 35mm f2.8 which has been on my camera since I got it off and replaced it with my Novoflex adapter and Minolta Rokkor 85mm f2 (I nearly went for the Minolta 50mm f1.2) for a late night ramble. All the shots were at f2 and 25,600 until we got home and it dropped to a less extreme 3200/6400. I'm not going to post any as it's only family stuff but I thought I would share the following...

- Peaking gave good accuracy at f2 in a situation in which I don't believe that any camera I've had before would auto focus.
- After processing the results are good enough for screen viewing and would no doubt make good small prints too.
- This is the best camera I've ever had.
:D

I had a Minolta 50mm 1.7 on an A6000 I had a year or so ago. I had loads of fun and some interesting images with unique bokeh. Shame I sold it because as you say the peaking tool is very effective. Why not post some test images of the 85?

Back