The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Your spot on, I actually think they would be better off ditching the A Mount and focusing on mirrorless but that would upset some people, their line-up DSLR wise has been hit and miss since they entered the market, some crackers like the A700 and A900 but too many confusing low and mid market bodies.
I could almost see a scenario where Sony actually sell off the camera manufacture part of the business and just focus on sensors... its clearly where the money is for them....

Yup, always been their problem, to many cameras, fast releases, depreciation, not enough 3rd party support, no real worldwide pro/repair network and lenses. I hope they turn that all around with FE mount.

Last edited:
Yea..

I wish they don't release another camera for 2 years at least and just keep releasing new lenses

Yup. I think 2 years is decent between releases. Its good to push tech but its bad to not support the system as a whole. The A7rii can easily have a 2yr lifespan imo.

Yup, always been their problem, to many cameras, fast releases, depreciation, not enough 3rd party support, no real worldwide pro/repair network and lenses. I hope they turn that all around with FE mount.
Sony will get it done this time around imo otherwise the will have another A-mount scenario. Their Pro Support network is active in certain countries and the UK is high up the list also to get it next.
I agree though, they need to slow down on a year new body release schedule :)

AF needs improving though so I wouldve thought 2 years is a good number.
Yep, but from what Sony has said, 2016 is going to be a even bigger year than 2015, makes me think a new wave of bodies will be announced before the year is out with better speed etc.
Probably a A7III, A7RIII and A7SIII all in one release?
Or perhaps a new A9 series?
I think Sony have hit the sweet spot in having 3 bodies, each catering for a different customer base.
Sony could just keep to 3 bodies per generation, that's what I would do and bypass building a new model range like the A9.
The A7RII is no slouch, I know somebody who uses a A7II for weddings and he's got on fine.

Yep, but from what Sony has said, 2016 is going to be a even bigger year than 2015, makes me think a new wave of bodies will be announced before the year is out with better speed etc.
Probably a A7III, A7RIII and A7SIII all in one release?
Or perhaps a new A9 series?
I think Sony have hit the sweet spot in having 3 bodies, each catering for a different customer base.
Sony could just keep to 3 bodies per generation, that's what I would do and bypass building a new model range like the A9.
The A7RII is no slouch, I know somebody who uses a A7II for weddings and he's got on fine.

A7iii more likely, no way an A7riii or siii. A9, like I said, doubt it, maybe a mirrorless mid range DSLR size camera. A77 sans mirror. New compacts and bridges, perhaps.

lets be honest steve huff was never going to say anything bad about them gm was he... I have an open mind will have to go some to beat the canon 24-70 mk2 usm imho
I think it has to beat Canon & Nikon rivals otherwise Sony will have egg on their faces following their high PR marketing of the new G Master range etc.
I'm holding back at the moment to see what real-life reviews and tests say, hopefully my GAS will have died by then. ;) lol

Extreme corner, Sony GM 24-70/f2.8 on the right, Canon 24-70/f2.8L in the middle, Sony 24-70/f4 on the left, all shot at f8
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1457094982.888647.jpg

Found here http://www.pf.nl/hands-on-met-sony-g-master-objectieven-en-a6300/

Last edited:
be interesting to see the centre of the image compared lol.................

I think it has to beat Canon & Nikon rivals otherwise Sony will have egg on their faces following their high PR marketing of the new G Master range etc.
I'm holding back at the moment to see what real-life reviews and tests say, hopefully my GAS will have died by then. ;) lol

Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM (Right) Vs Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L (Left)
View attachment 58550

Found here http://www.pf.nl/hands-on-met-sony-g-master-objectieven-en-a6300/
Impressive. Not only does the Sony look a lot better, it also seems to have some algorithm for removing stray feet from photos. Hopefully it doesn't malfunction and turn everyone into mermaids.

Used the GM 24-70 & 85 for literally a couple of snaps each at a Sony event earlier this week. Big but easy enough to get on terms with and not imbalanced, which is a little surprising given the diminutive size of the A7x bodies. 85 snapped to focus in -4 EV (according to subsequent exif) but I didn't get to challenge the zoom with a low light AF test.

Also sat through a bit of a G Master presentation, much of which was the same stuff the press was briefed with previously. Of interest: Sony [rightfully] very pleased with corner sharpness full stop, but esp when compared to Canon & Nikon 'equivalents'. Same goes for CA and bokeh rendering. All the examples we saw and had the opportunity to try seemed to back up the claims, which leaves the 24-70 standing alone for quality vs Canon & Nikon. Similar situation for the 85. However, it has some acknowledged tough competition in the Batis, albeit their image profile is intentionally different. In the shared samples (at the presentation; I'm not prepared to share my images because they feature people) the Batis offers visibly stronger contrast whilst the GM has smoother fall-off and more consistent bokeh.

If I had to choose one of the two GM lenses it'd be tough. Obviously they're for different purposes and the zoom suits my needs much more clearly but I have a lot of lust for the 85.

It was also alluded to that there'll be a couple more E-Mount lenses announced/ released this year. No word on what, though.

Well the sigma MC11 has my attention, i also do hope Metabones step up and make there own adaptor do face and eye....
First things first though, MC11 and 600mm Sports is needed....

Until I can see a proper test of the gm lenses I'm not convinced tbh too many of these reviewers these days aren't as impartial as what they should be......
The gm does look promising no doubt but the posts and pics posted so far aren't a scientific test of the lenses.... it almost looks as though the nikon and canon were deliberately misfocused..........

How often do we want sharpness across the frame that stands up to pixel peeping or close viewing of very large prints?

It may be that I have relatively low standards (I do) but I do keep thinking that we're nit picking kit that's perfectly good enough for the vast majority or people in the vast majority of situations.

It's good to keep pushing the boundaries though :D

How often do we want sharpness across the frame that stands up to pixel peeping or close viewing of very large prints?

It may be that I have relatively low standards (I do) but I do keep thinking that we're nit picking kit that's perfectly good enough for the vast majority or people in the vast majority of situations.

It's good to keep pushing the boundaries though :D

At these prices every nit has to be picked IMO :angelic:

Used the GM 24-70 & 85 for literally a couple of snaps each at a Sony event earlier this week. Big but easy enough to get on terms with and not imbalanced, which is a little surprising given the diminutive size of the A7x bodies. 85 snapped to focus in -4 EV (according to subsequent exif) but I didn't get to challenge the zoom with a low light AF test.

Also sat through a bit of a G Master presentation, much of which was the same stuff the press was briefed with previously. Of interest: Sony [rightfully] very pleased with corner sharpness full stop, but esp when compared to Canon & Nikon 'equivalents'. Same goes for CA and bokeh rendering. All the examples we saw and had the opportunity to try seemed to back up the claims, which leaves the 24-70 standing alone for quality vs Canon & Nikon. Similar situation for the 85. However, it has some acknowledged tough competition in the Batis, albeit their image profile is intentionally different. In the shared samples (at the presentation; I'm not prepared to share my images because they feature people) the Batis offers visibly stronger contrast whilst the GM has smoother fall-off and more consistent bokeh.

If I had to choose one of the two GM lenses it'd be tough. Obviously they're for different purposes and the zoom suits my needs much more clearly but I have a lot of lust for the 85.

It was also alluded to that there'll be a couple more E-Mount lenses announced/ released this year. No word on what, though.
I've got the Batis 85mm f1.8 and initial impressions are great, it will serve me well.
I'm watching the Sony 24-70mm, 70-200mm f2.8 GM's along with the Teleconverters ;)

I've got the Batis 85mm f1.8 and initial impressions are great, it will serve me well.
I'm watching the Sony 24-70mm, 70-200mm f2.8 GM's along with the Teleconverters ;)
what are you taking pics of mate?

It's a real shame 3rd party lens manufactures like Sigma don't make native FE mount lenses.

It's a real shame 3rd party lens manufactures like Sigma don't make native FE mount lenses.

I may be a few k in the red but have a really nice line up of native glass now.
Just need a macro and something for wildlife. That may have to be on Nikon though for obvious reasons.

I may be a few k in the red but have a really nice line up of native glass now.
Just need a macro and something for wildlife. That may have to be on Nikon though for obvious reasons.
Mmmm Sony 90mm f2.8 G Macro isn't too bad?
For telephoto if you already have a Nikon body it'll be the awesome 70-200mm f2.8 VRII plus TC? ;)

Mmmm Sony 90mm f2.8 G Macro isn't too bad?
For telephoto if you already have a Nikon body it'll be the awesome 70-200mm f2.8 VRII plus TC? ;)

90 looks lovely although highly priced compared what is available for dslr.
70-200 is a good shout. Although may want something in the region of 150-600.

Just having a bit of an out loud think, as the photography show is coming up there is a possibility of some good deals on some of a models.
How is the af performance on the a7 and how has it improved through the ranges? Also focus to shot time. I currently use a 7dmk2 and an eos m and also we have a Panasonic g7. I fancy something smaller and higher quality.

Oh and also these adapters that allow canon lenses to be used with af, anyone got experience of these?

Just having a bit of an out loud think, as the photography show is coming up there is a possibility of some good deals on some of a models.
How is the af performance on the a7 and how has it improved through the ranges? Also focus to shot time. I currently use a 7dmk2 and an eos m and also we have a Panasonic g7. I fancy something smaller and higher quality.

Oh and also these adapters that allow canon lenses to be used with af, anyone got experience of these?

I use canon Metabones iv .... As long as you aren't expecting 7dmk2 levels of af with the adpter it's perfect.... For portraits etc spot on not for sports or wildlife imho though.... Love my a7r2 etc the dr compared to canon is remarkable I can only speak for the mk2 bodies though

All the photos in my Airshow Flickr collection were shot on the Sony A7 with 70-200mm f4. No problems at all focusing & tracking.

https://flickr.com/photos/39891775@N05/sets/72157645949808315

Kind regards,

Rizvan

Back