The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I bought my 35mm f2.8 used, can't remember how much it was.

Sony 50mm macro review...

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-fe-50mm-f-2-8-1-1-macro-lens-review-30040

"The 50mm lens is a universally useful optic and the ability to continue to focus right down to life size is very appealing indeed. The Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 macro lens is an excellent performer and a pleasure to use, at a realistic price."

Looks like the focus speed is not going to be exactly electrifying but to be honest this is what I expected. I could well be interested in this lens as a walk about lens capable of scenery and close up flower shots.

Last edited:
I may have another Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4 OSS coming soon, I sold my first one before the GM came out. :)
Sony need to make a version 2 of the 24-70mm f4 to give it better IQ.

Don't you have the gmaster 24-70?
Oh yes, i've got the GM and what a beast it is.
I might be getting the 24-70mm f4 from a friend (cheap), if its better than my last copy I may keep it or sell it on for him. Personally now that I have the GM the f4 doesn't interest me anymore.... but if its too good a bargain to pass up I will see.

I looked at one once in a shop (XT) in Newcastle but I don't think it could match the quality I get from my A7+35mm and of course you can't change the lens on the Fuji and there are all the other Fuji v the rest advantages/disadvantages depending on how you see them.

Price wise aren't the Sony 35mm f2.8 and Fuji 23mm f1.4 in the same ballpark? Just looked on Wex and I think the Fuji is £30 cheaper.

In the end though none of this matters, you want what you want :D

PS.
Just on the no one can tell the difference point. I've been saying this for years :D
I did a loooooooaaaad of MFT v Canon DSLR comparisons and they proved next to nothing for ordinary people. The last side by side I did the person I'd roped in excitedly shouted "I want that picture" (it was an A4 print) but I can't remember which one they said it about but the point was that it was the first one :D I've never really bothered too much since and I now accept that I only have the Sony for ME :D because I like the files and pictures :D No one else cares.

The 23mm was giving me a couple of stops low light advantage. I'm not keen on primes over f2 personally.

Oh yes, i've got the GM and what a beast it is.
I might be getting the 24-70mm f4 from a friend (cheap), if its better than my last copy I may keep it or sell it on for him. Personally now that I have the GM the f4 doesn't interest me anymore.... but if its too good a bargain to pass up I will see.

The problem is the f4 is quite famous for being a bit of a dog. Lovely and compact though and probably great for a travel lens.

The problem is the f4 is quite famous for being a bit of a dog. Lovely and compact though and probably great for a travel lens.
Yeah my copy wasn't that great to be honest, it was better than the kit lens but not worth the RRP money.... I am hoping I can get it off him for a few hundred at the most lol :D

Guys anyone able to give me a quick link for a good sensor cleaning kit please can't believe how many types available

Cheers

Do you have to have a kit?

I use Pec pads and Eclipse fluid and I make my own swab with a slice cut from an old credit card.

In my whole history of DSLR and CSC ownership I'm only on my 2nd bottle of fluid and 2nd pack of pads.

Do you have to have a kit?

I use Pec pads and Eclipse fluid and I make my own swab with a slice cut from an old credit card.

In my whole history of DSLR and CSC ownership I'm only on my 2nd bottle of fluid and 2nd pack of pads.
No I have never before now needed a kit

Pec pads and eclipse fliuid

Just need an out of date card next

Thanks Alan

No I have never before now needed a kit

Pec pads and eclipse fliuid

Just need an out of date card next

Thanks Alan

The reason I use a card is you can cut it to the size you want and it's flexible and you can't therefore exert any real pressure on the sensor. It doesn't have to be a credit card, anything will do, a slice of a greetings card maybe? This is what I do...

- Wrap a Pec pad around the slice of credit card.
- Tape it in place.
- Put a drop of fluid on the tip.
- Wait a second or two to allow any excess to dissipate.
- Clean the sensor.
- Do a test by shooting a white door at minimum aperture, review and then either pack up or repeat the clean.

Bought Dust Patrol fluid and swabs, some reviews claim eclipse is not suitable for Sony no idea if true but first ever wet clean feels risky lol

The reason I asked for links is last Tuesday I had a fall on pavement ended up with ambulance ride and 3 lots of dissolving stitches near my right eye so struggling a bit seeing reviews and on Saturday I hope I go Scotland for a week with luck I can use my left eye or LCD if out of focus then tough luck

Thanks Alan for your help call me a coward :(

You're not a coward, just more willing to spend... a thought that terrifies me :D

Okay so GAS got me again ;) I bought a wired interval timer shutter release my question relates too back button focus simples really using my new purchase am I correct in saying I can not use the first half push for activating focus and can only do this from the camera button I have assigned

Cheers

No idea. Have you got one on sport?

More Nik timewasting... Step Away From The Keyboard Woof Woof!

A7 and an old manual lens of some description.

PS.
Looking at shots taken with these old lenses I'm amazed and very pleased how sharp they can be. Sharpness isn't everything... but still :D

PPS.

High Force taken with A7 and Minolta 50mm f1.4...

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the A5100 on sale anywhere recently? Looking to get one to use when I don't want to carry my A7ii with me, but it's out of stock everywhere I've look :thinking:

Has anyone seen the A5100 on sale anywhere recently? Looking to get one to use when I don't want to carry my A7ii with me, but it's out of stock everywhere I've look :thinking:

I think it's been discontinued :(

Ahh balls. Looks like you're right. Might have to look for a second hand one.

Thanks - was going crazy trying to find it!
I think John Lewis might have some in and/or Amazon but they are only with the kit lens and prices more than the Sony A6000 which is currently on for £419.
Maybe consider the A6000 if you can't find a good second hand A5100?

I think John Lewis might have some in and/or Amazon but they are only with the kit lens and prices more than the Sony A6000 which is currently on for £419.
Maybe consider the A6000 if you can't find a good second hand A5100?

Yeah i may consider A6000. Only reason for wanting the A5100 was it looked a bit more 'fun' (read:family friendly) with the touch/flip screen whilst retaining the IQ. May hold out until after Christmas to see whether Sony announce anything else in the A5xxx range.

Yeah i may consider A6000. Only reason for wanting the A5100 was it looked a bit more 'fun' (read:family friendly) with the touch/flip screen whilst retaining the IQ. May hold out until after Christmas to see whether Sony announce anything else in the A5xxx range.
That's what I would do.... wait it out..... :)

Just seen the new Sony RX100 V price..... its £999 What!!! :eek: That's A6300 money.... :eek:
I do love the appeal of a real high quality pocket camera but surely at £999 you'd be better off with the A6000 and Zeiss 16-70mm bundle for £1099?
I was looking at something for travelling hence the RX100 V, but at these crazy prices its madness...... probably going to stick with my A7RII (without grip), 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 setup for which nicely fits in my Kata DC-433 bag.
Surprisingly the A7RII body and both lenses, cleaning stuff, memory cards and batteries fit in a bag measuring a tiny.......

External Height(H) 15 cm 5.91 in
External Length(L) 20 cm 7.87 in
External Width(W) 12.5 cm 4.92 in

Who says the Sony system can't be compact! :D

Just seen the new Sony RX100 V price..... its £999 What!!! :eek: That's A6300 money.... :eek:
I do love the appeal of a real high quality pocket camera but surely at £999 you'd be better off with the A6000 and Zeiss 16-70mm bundle for £1099?
I was looking at something for travelling hence the RX100 V, but at these crazy prices its madness...... probably going to stick with my A7RII (without grip), 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 setup for which nicely fits in my Kata DC-433 bag.
Surprisingly the A7RII body and both lenses, cleaning stuff, memory cards and batteries fit in a bag measuring a tiny.......

May be the continued drop of sterling think most tech is going higher soon hope not

Mine fits in my woolly hat!

Back