The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyone any experience of the A6500?

GAS is biting after a long period of remission. I fancy something smallish with an EVF and fast focusing so I'm thinking of an A6500 + 55/1.8 + 24/1.8 combo as a flexible outdoors supplement to my D810+58/1.4 which has kept GAS at bay since I sold the A7R and lenses. I had an A6000 a while ago and like it.

Any alternative lens suggestions?

I was thinking about the a6500 but thought F It, just buy the a7r2. Bit more money but worth it imo. You could get the 28, 50 and 85 fe for not that much money these days and iq will be more of what you're used to.

Last edited:
Good thought but if I started thinking that way it would just end up with F it, A9 it is then. Is the A7Rii really that much better than the D810?

Good thought but if I started thinking that way it would just end up with F it, A9 it is then. Is the A7Rii really that much better than the D810?

A9 and A7RII are very different cameras. Even if I had the money to buy A9 it wouldn't really replace my A7RII.

A7RII is once again different to D810. I wouldn't say either is better than the other, just different beasts. ;)

A9 and A7RII are very different cameras. Even if I had the money to buy A9 it wouldn't really replace my A7RII.

A7RII is once again different to D810. I wouldn't say either is better than the other, just different beasts. ;)

Had the d810 and A7rii and pretty similar in output and speed

I think the a9 is in a different ballpark money wise but yeah if you wanted to sell up Nikon I guess that's an option. The a7rii is half the price of the a9.

I wouldn't say it's better, no. I think the d810 is the better camera but if you don't need the d810 speed or battery life then the a7rii is a great choice. It took me a while to replace my d750 setup and there's pluses and minuses but we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Had the d810 and A7rii and pretty similar in output and speed

To sum up quickly,

A7RII can shoot 4K video, with better live view and videos AF. It also has silent shooting, better high ISO performance. Plus it has EVF with all the aids that come with it.

D810 has more dynamic range at base ISO and also ISO invariant. Also has more battery life and better build. It has an OVF.

Last edited:
A7RII can shoot 4K video, with better live view and videos AF. It also has silent shooting, better high ISO performance.

D810 has more dynamic range at base ISO and also ISO invariant. Also has more battery life and better build.

D810 bigger buffer / faster af.

To sum up quickly,

A7RII can shoot 4K video, with better live view and videos AF. It also has silent shooting, better high ISO performance. Plus it has EVF with all the aids that come with it.

D810 has more dynamic range at base ISO and also ISO invariant. Also has more battery life and better build. It has an OVF.

yeah one has a mirror. not far apart on dr and image quality.

TBH, I love my D810 - constantly amazed at the images it produces - and don't tend to replace it any time soon. It's a fantastic workhorse and the battery life and speed are a big plus for some of the stuff I do.

So, back to the A6500 are there other lens options that I could choose instead of the 24/1.8 and 55/1.8?

TBH, I love my D810 - constantly amazed at the images it produces - and don't tend to replace it any time soon. It's a fantastic workhorse and the battery life and speed are a big plus for some of the stuff I do.

So, back to the A6500 are there other lens options that I could choose instead of the 24/1.8 and 55/1.8?

I'd personally rather get the 50 1.8 oss. 35 1.8 oss and 24 1.8 if you want 35 equiv.

Anyone any experience of the A6500?

GAS is biting after a long period of remission. I fancy something smallish with an EVF and fast focusing so I'm thinking of an A6500 + 55/1.8 + 24/1.8 combo as a flexible outdoors supplement to my D810+58/1.4 which has kept GAS at bay since I sold the A7R and lenses. I had an A6000 a while ago and like it.

For the cost of the Sony A6500 you could get a Sony A7II? :D

Anyone any experience of the A6500?...

You'll like the A6500. Essentially same size as the 6000, the grip is a little bigger and noticeably heavier but not excessive. I really wanted to go full frame but size and weight of the A7 family put me off when I actually fondled an A7ii. I've no-idea how fast it focuses as I use manual focus lenses. IBIS is the feature that swung me onto it. It also handles high ISO noticeably better - at least in jpg.

Am I right in thinking for off camera flash for a A7R II I can go for:

Godox AD-360
Godox X1T-S
Godox XTR-16

Anyone have experience of this combo?

Ssssnake. I've got some days off next week during the week. I'm sure I'll be passing one day

Muscle memory was a concern for me after almost exclusively shooting Nikon

I went to a kids party last week and gave one of my A9's a blast. It was a good test seeing as I have shot only Nikon for 10+ years. Muscle memory isn't a concern any more! I'm not saying I won't reach for buttons which are not there but I did adjust reasonably well considering. That was my very first try of my own A9's.

I messed up a few shots and had a quite a few of my first shots oof. However, I know that's 100% user error as I'm just not used to the Sony System and I'm still not sure of their AF system. I was better by the end of the night

First impressions are excellent and I'm glad I switched. I'm planning on going to Cambridge for a day out on Sunday/Mondayand giving the other A9 a run out!
yes i need to have the time to get used to it, the front dial i would of liked to be a big bigger mind you, but i am sure i will get used to it

Performance is really close, you're buying an apsc you don't need ff lens coverage, it's much cheaper and has oss.

Shows how my mind has gone to mush, I had that lens with an early Nex and forgotten all about it. I don't remember it being that good and the 55/1.8 is cracking. I'll look out some photos I took with it and check why I didn't keep it.

*** Edit *** You're right twisty. the E-mount 50 checks out pretty well. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Shows how my mind has gone to mush, I had that lens with an early Nex and forgotten all about it. I don't remember it being that good and the 55/1.8 is cracking. I'll look out some photos I took with it and check why I didn't keep it.

*** Edit *** You're right twisty. the E-mount 50 checks out pretty well. Food for thought.

Yeah, it's such a great little lens. A used 55 is around 500, a used 50 and 35 oss are 400 so you can save another 100 off the 24.

Last edited:

This is an album of shots I took using my A6000 with the 50/1.8. I always found it to be an excellent lens and a good match for the APS-C bodies. As per Twist's post, you won't gain anything from having the 55/1.8 other than higher cost, bigger lens and heavier weight.

https://flickr.com/photos/8476499@N02/sets/72157663279825909

Day off for me today but popped into town after dropping my daughter off a nursery. There's a camera shop that sell very old slrs, glass etc and in the window (it's not open yet) there's a canon fd 24mm f2.8 for £90 and the 28mm f2.8 for £29. Are these decent prices for fd glass - assuming condition is good? @woof woof

They are decent prices but not bargain prices by any means.

But camera shops are always open to haggling. So may be you can get few quid knocked off :)

Last edited:
@woof woof
How do you rate the Rokkor f.17?
I'm fancying some legacy glass to bolt onto my A5100. I've been down the Helios 58mm and Jupitar 11A 135mm in my fuji days so would like to try something different.
Your shots you posted recently look pretty decent for sharpness at least.

Day off for me today but popped into town after dropping my daughter off a nursery. There's a camera shop that sell very old slrs, glass etc and in the window (it's not open yet) there's a canon fd 24mm f2.8 for £90 and the 28mm f2.8 for £29. Are these decent prices for fd glass - assuming condition is good? @woof woof

As per Steve, I think the 24mm is verging on being a better bargain than the 28mm as the 28mm looks about market rate. If I was looking for a 24mm I'd expect to pay about or over £100, Ffordes have unused 24mm's for £149 and London Camera Exchange have a 28mm f2.8 for £29.99.

Just for balance you can get a 3rd party 24mm f2.8 for much less, there's a Sigma in FD fit on evil bay for £20, Sigma and other 3rd party ones seem to crop up at this sort of price, much less than £90 anyway.

Last edited:
@woof woof
How do you rate the Rokkor f.17?
I'm fancying some legacy glass to bolt onto my A5100. I've been down the Helios 58mm and Jupitar 11A 135mm in my fuji days so would like to try something different.
Your shots you posted recently look pretty decent for sharpness at least.

Hi,

At the moment I have the following 50's to play with... Minolta 55mm f1.7 MC, 50mm f1.4 MD, 50mm f1.2 MD, Olympus 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, Canon FD 50mm f1.4, Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

Of these I'd say that the Minolta f1.4 MD is the best, it's pretty sharp and has less optical nasties at wide apertures and it has a touch more contrast but some people like the lower contrast look. Next is probably the Oly f1.8 with the FD next and then the Oly f1.4. I'd say that the Minolta f1.2 is optically the poorest 50mm I have but I just like the look :D The Sigma macro BTW is IMO quite excellent.

I'm still playing with the 55mm f1.7 MC but so far I do like the look it gives. Sharpness wise, I post stuff here from my pc at quality 9 or 10 so I'm not too sure how that affects the quality and sharpness but sharpness doesn't seem to be an issue when viewing full images at full quality and 100% on my screen. Even at f1.7 I'd say it's acceptable. I think these MC's have less good coatings and probably a different optical make up to the later MD's, I'd say that the MD f1.7 I had a few years ago and sold and the f1.4 I still have both have a more modern look than the MC, if you can follow what I mean :D but the 55mm f1.7 does seem to have a different look so I suppose what you go for depends on what you want. If you want a more modern clinical look I'd say go for an MD and if you want more character go for an earlier MC :D

Oh, and for my recent postings here I haven't done any vignetting or distortion corrections.

I'd say they're deffo worth looking at :D

Alan, fancy buying my FD 50mm/1.2 to complete your collection :D

What I like about FD version of the 50mm f1.2 lens is it has half-stop aperture stops. So you can stop down at f/1.4, f/1.7, f/2 so on... with most other f/1.2 lenses the aperture stop goes from f/1.2-f/2 which annoys me :p

Probably :D but I should stop buying old lenses and actually I should sell some as it's daft to have three versions of the same lens from different makers.

Another big thing in the FD's favour is that there seem to be lots about unused or in as new condition. I only have three, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 and to me they look like they could have been made last year.

Probably :D but I should stop buying old lenses and actually I should sell some as it's daft to have three versions of the same lens from different makers.

Another big thing in the FD's favour is that there seem to be lots about unused or in as new condition. I only have three, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 and to me they look like they could have been made last year.

yes true. May be canon people just kept their lenses nice and clean :D

my FD lens is a good example too, its in near-mint condition.

Last edited:
Hi,

At the moment I have the following 50's to play with... Minolta 55mm f1.7 MC, 50mm f1.4 MD, 50mm f1.2 MD, Olympus 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, Canon FD 50mm f1.4, Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

Of these I'd say that the Minolta f1.4 MD is the best, it's pretty sharp and has less optical nasties at wide apertures and it has a touch more contrast but some people like the lower contrast look. Next is probably the Oly f1.8 with the FD next and then the Oly f1.4. I'd say that the Minolta f1.2 is optically the poorest 50mm I have but I just like the look :D The Sigma macro BTW is IMO quite excellent.

I'm still playing with the 55mm f1.7 MC but so far I do like the look it gives. Sharpness wise, I post stuff here from my pc at quality 9 or 10 so I'm not too sure how that affects the quality and sharpness but sharpness doesn't seem to be an issue when viewing full images at full quality and 100% on my screen. Even at f1.7 I'd say it's acceptable. I think these MC's have less good coatings and probably a different optical make up to the later MD's, I'd say that the MD f1.7 I had a few years ago and sold and the f1.4 I still have both have a more modern look than the MC, if you can follow what I mean :D but the 55mm f1.7 does seem to have a different look so I suppose what you go for depends on what you want. If you want a more modern clinical look I'd say go for an MD and if you want more character go for an earlier MC :D

Oh, and for my recent postings here I haven't done any vignetting or distortion corrections.

I'd say they're deffo worth looking at :D
Thanks for the detailed breakdown.
I shall now go away and spend some money :D

Apparently you can buy the Sony A9 from Castle Camera's with a whopping £450 discount using voucher code: SOAC10

That's a great saving :D

Back