The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They have already.

the rx something something that has the a7r2 sensor

But is the saving in bulk worthwhile and worth losing the ability to change lenses? Maybe to some but I'd probably still end up carrying it in a small bag so I might as well tale my A7. Popping the EVF up and down would annoy me, I'd prefer it to be always available.

Actually speaking I don't want any more than 10fps at any focal length. PP at 10fps is a PIA already :D

But that was not my point, Sony sensor designs and R&D would have started when these lenses were being developed. They should really support all the lenses since they are so new. Especially lenses like 70-200/4 and 70-300
Yeah in a ideal world Sony should have used the best AF motors from day one..... perhaps it was a Zeiss designed lens which had limitations on how the motors fit inside etc. Its still a stellar lens.

Yeah in a ideal world Sony should have used the best AF motors from day one..... perhaps it was a Zeiss designed lens which had limitations on how the motors fit inside etc. Its still a stellar lens.
Lenses are designed by Sony even Zeiss branded ones.

You quoted my previous post before I added a few more edits to my last post....

Harrisons too..... £2999 is a lot of Wonga for a fixed lens camera. :eek:

One thing that I worry about is getting contamination on the sensor. This may be much less likely than with my A7 but at least my A7 is a doddle to clean. I'd worry about spending that much on a fixed lens digital camera and in fact I worry about my relatively cheap TZ100.

Speaking of sensor cleaning. The A7 series are dust magnet. I had to wet clean my sensors after I came back from holiday. Shocking. May stop using primes and use zooms to stop changing lenses!

Seems like that lens has problems......LINK

User error @ f/1.4 is more pronounced. I think this is one of the issues behind most complaints about this lens. Mirrorless has one massive advantage here that there is no need for lens / body calibration. Have spent so much time calibrating using focal and the USB hub and I am confident I could aim and shoot without chimping to check focus.

When I used this combo it was a cracker for portraits/posed Shots. Like seriously impressive. Wouldn't use it for tracking though. Although some guys here will swear by it.

I have used the Sigma / D750 for close-up go-cart photography with a good hit rate at f/2. At f/1.4 just a slight miss and photo was out.

Harrisons too..... £2999 is a lot of Wonga for a fixed lens camera. :eek:

lol you just gassed £12k - this is nothing :D

i appreciate its a lot of money. but if for those who like to shoot at 35mm - this must be appealing. quality optics to match a quality sensor in a lightweight package.

lol you just gassed £12k - this is nothing :D

i appreciate its a lot of money. but if for those who like to shoot at 35mm - this must be appealing. quality optics to match a quality sensor in a lightweight package.

I suppose you have a point :D they are built like tanks too.

Speaking of sensor cleaning. The A7 series are dust magnet. I had to wet clean my sensors after I came back from holiday. Shocking. May stop using primes and use zooms to stop changing lenses!

:D

I've been quite happy with dust bunny resistance and I do change lenses and these cameras are much better than the DSLR's I had. Back then you didn't even have to change lenses to get crud on your sensor.

User error @ f/1.4 is more pronounced. I think this is one of the issues behind most complaints about this lens. Mirrorless has one massive advantage here that there is no need for lens / body calibration. Have spent so much time calibrating using focal and the USB hub and I am confident I could aim and shoot without chimping to check focus.

I have used the Sigma / D750 for close-up go-cart photography with a good hit rate at f/2. At f/1.4 just a slight miss and photo was out.

I remember when I sold my Sigma 30mm f1.4 and the buyer immediately posted out of focus pictures. I offered him his money back but he kept the lens that I honestly never had a gripe with. And on the same subject, someone once dismissed my Sigma 50mm f1.4 as a pile of doggie doo but I could see him nodding backwards and forwards while taking pictures so it's no wonder his pictures were out of focus but try telling someone their technique is crap... you might as well say they've got a teeny tiny peepee.

Voigtlander 65mm f2 review...

https://sonyalpha.blog/2017/08/29/voigtlander-65mm-f2-macro-apo-lanthar/

"Exceptional sharpness across the whole frame wide open at F2
  • Excellent color rendition
  • Reasonable price for the performance (900 euros)
  • nice sunstars effects
  • build like a tank
Some CA
  • Odd focal length : 65mm
  • Bokeh good in close distance , less good at longer distance
  • Only 1:2 magnification
  • Focusing ring precise in macro but less precise for portrait, street photography"

That's nice :D but I'm not sure I understand "Focusing ring precise in macro but less precise for portrait, street photography"

If the 35mm f1.4 is nice I might be interested.

Last edited:
I remember when I sold my Sigma 30mm f1.4 and the buyer immediately posted out of focus pictures. I offered him his money back but he kept the lens that I honestly never had a gripe with. And on the same subject, someone once dismissed my Sigma 50mm f1.4 as a pile of doggie doo but I could see him nodding backwards and forwards while taking pictures so it's no wonder his pictures were out of focus but try telling someone their technique is crap... you might as well say they've got a teeny tiny peepee.

With fast lenses it could be either user error or calibration issues. Not every camera will match every lens due to tolerances during manufacturing.

It doesn't matter if someone sways slightly when using AF AND correct focus settings.

Fairy Snuff the thread does say "anything else" <lol>

Well, not anything else.

I think we should keep our clothes on as there may be children or people of a nervous disposition looking at this thread.

The rumor site says that Sony may announce something of interest today...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-hints-today-sony-will-announce-something-cine-alta/#disqus_thread

and a Chinese company announce 35 and 85mm f2 manual lenses...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zhong-yi-announces-new-85mm-35mm-f2-0-e-mount-lenses/

Dunno what mount they were originally but they look like some other mount lenses with an adapter on the end so that they'll fit a Sony. Cheapish though.

A new ground breaking CineAlta movie camera.... will we see 6/8k? :D

Last edited:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-hints-today-sony-will-announce-something-cine-alta/#disqus_thread

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zhong-yi-announces-new-85mm-35mm-f2-0-e-mount-lenses/

Dunno what mount they were originally but they look like some other mount lenses with an adapter on the end so that they'll fit a Sony. Cheapish though.

They look like Leica knockoffs to be honest. I saw similar lenses on Amazon last week so they could be rebranded non-names.

Like you say, they've just added EF-FE adaptors (or Nikon AI) to their existing lenses to 'convert' their mount.

As I keep saying, I wish someone would start making nicely built lenses of adequate image quality in Sony mount so that we wouldn't need an adapter. Rokkor / Zuiko / FD image quality would be perfectly acceptable for me. Put simple by todays standards optics with decent enough coatings in a nice metal body just like my old Rokkors etc and I buy a set.

As I keep saying, I wish someone would start making nicely built lenses of adequate image quality in Sony mount so that we wouldn't need an adapter. Rokkor / Zuiko / FD image quality would be perfectly acceptable for me. Put simple by todays standards optics with decent enough coatings in a nice metal body just like my old Rokkors etc and I buy a set.

Cost to much to manufacture so you have lenses like Loxia.

Like you say, they've just added EF-FE adaptors (or Nikon AI) to their existing lenses to 'convert' their mount.
Yeah comparing the Nikon mount amazon image you posted there definitely is an extra chunk added I guess to make the existing lens adjust to the flange distance so it looks like they are just milking their existing lens.

Yeah comparing the Nikon mount amazon image you posted there definitely is an extra chunk added I guess to make the existing lens adjust to the flange distance so it looks like they are just milking their existing lens.

To be fair, it's exactly what Samyang do too. There's no point in them manufacturing multiple lenses with different mounts so they make a generic lens then add the relevant spacer/mount for each option. I've just bought the Samyang 14/2.8 on Sony A mount and added an E mount adaptor because that was cheaper than buying a lens from Samyang that has the E mount adaptor already fitted.

It's exactly what Tamron did with their Adaptall lenses.

Last edited:
Cost to much to manufacture so you have lenses like Loxia.

I don't think the need to be Leica or Loxia money at all. We're getting a number of these Chinese/Asian manual designs at reasonable money and a while ago there was a British company taking apart Russian lenses and putting them in new bodies for not a lot of money. The actual metal work would be pennies to a low number of £ to machine, the "glass" could be moulded and finished for not a lot... coating I don't know but I'd imagine it's pennies and I suppose you only have to look at the cost of an ok filter to get an idea of the costs involved or look at a vid on youtube of it being done. This shouldn't cost Loxia money if you're not aiming for Loxia quality and a premium image, quality and price. It may not be economic to do in the UK as the numbers would no doubt be relatively small but in asia the costs would be much different.

Bit of documentary snap. A6500 with the lovely small Zeiss 35mm C-Biogon. Played with it abit in Capture One express for Sony - free for 30days download. Rather like it. Anyone here using it, does it compare well to lightroom/etc?
Runs well in a VM with one of Microsofts developer snapshots, as I only have linux boxes here.

Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine
by Elizabeth Oldham, on Flickr

Bit of documentary snap. A6500 with the lovely small Zeiss 35mm C-Biogon. Played with it abit in Capture One express for Sony - free for 30days download. Rather like it. Anyone here using it, does it compare well to lightroom/etc?
Runs well in a VM with one of Microsofts developer snapshots, as I only have linux boxes here.

Beth ,Express for Sony is free forever just not the pro version which I don't think is necessary unless you want to tether.

> Express for Sony is free forever just not the pro version which I don't think is necessary unless you want to tether.

Ah. So it is.

Used LR for a number of years [still have the standalone V6] but no use for it now. I never got on with ACR even in my Canon days. Then DXO optics and that's now not used. Started with C1 Sony Express like you. 30 days is only enough to get a flavour so went to The full C1 for Sony. Started getting acquainted [I'm still learning] then couldn't live with LR for Canon RAWs and C1 for Sony so I went the whole hog with C1
HTHs

So... just picked up a little bit of Sony gear, with a view to switch full time from Nikon to mirrorless. Main shooting is Motorsport/fast action, but with a lot of travel and Timelapse stuck in for good measure.

My kit bag is now as follows;

A9
A7SII
12-24 f/4
16-35 2.8 GM
85 1.4 GM
70-200 2.8 GM
100-400 OSS

Waiting for them to finally release a fast telephoto prime to complete the line up and be able to fully compare to my Nikon kit.

Can anyone shed any light on tips and tricks for Sony in general? I've read quite a bit, spent the weekend shooting pretty much static subjects to familiarise myself with it. One point that's arisen - how do I turn off the display completely and then have the viewfinder turn off after a minute, say, for Timelapse?

Back