The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Cost one factor and he thinks the A7iii will be good enough. Sent me a link to his galleries etc so all been quite helpful.
Care to share?

I guess another visit to Park ?

Just notice that with the MC-11, you get all the focusing (points) selection with Sigma lenses, but not with Canon lenses.

Is the Metabone the same?

MC-11 does two things:
- With supported sigma lenses you basically get full native emulation i.e. camera will see the lens as a native lens. So this includes hybrid AF and all focussing modes.
- With "unsupported lens" lenses you basically get the same utility as Sony provides with LA-EA3 adapter for a-mount. This is basically only PDAF (i.e. not hybrid AF) and only basic AF-S and AF-C modes. I hear with latest m3 bodies and A9 you also get eye-AF but previously you didn't get this also.

Metabones adapter on the other hand has two modes:
- Green mode: This basically behaves like LA-EA3 adapter sony provides for a-mount. So this is basically only PDAF (i.e. not hybrid AF) and only basic AF-S and AF-C modes. With latest A7RIII, A7III and A9 bodies you also get eye-AF but previously you didn't get this also.
- Advanced mode: The is basically metabones attempt at native emulation so your camera will see the lens as a native lens and hence all AF features inc. hybrid AF is available. But in this mode the AF is bit hit and miss and performance depends heavily on which lens you use.

TL;DR: For supported Sigma lenses get MC-11, for everything else get metabones.

Last edited:
MC-11 does two things:
- With supported sigma lenses you basically get full native emulation i.e. camera will see the lens as a native lens. So this includes hybrid AF and all focussing modes.
- With "unsupported lens" lenses you basically get the same utility as Sony provides with LA-EA3 adapter for a-mount. This is basically on PDAF (i.e. not hybrid AF) and only basic AF-S and AF-C modes. I hear with latest m3 bodies and A9 you also get eye-AF but previously you didn't get this also.

- Green mode: This basically behaves like LA-EA3 adapter sony provides for a-mount. So this is basically on PDAF (i.e. not hybrid AF) and only basic AF-S and AF-C modes. With latest A7RIII, A7III and A9 bodies you also get eye-AF but previously you didn't get this also.
- Advanced mode: The is basically metabones attempt at native emulation so your camera will see the lens as a native lens and hence all AF features inc. hybrid AF is available. But in this mode the AF is bit hit and miss and performance depends heavily on which lens you use.

I can get Eye-AF with the Canon lenses through MC-11. I just get more modes with the Sigma lenses.

I can get Eye-AF with the Canon lenses through MC-11. I just get more modes with the Sigma lenses.

yes with latest mk3 bodies and A9 you get eye-AF also, but with previous bodies you didn't get that either.
I am still shooting with A7RII, so no eye-AF for me :(

Last edited:
MC-11 does two things:
- With "unsupported lens" lenses you basically get the same utility as Sony provides with LA-EA3 adapter for a-mount. This is basically on PDAF (i.e. not hybrid AF) and only basic AF-S and AF-C modes. I hear with latest m3 bodies and A9 you also get eye-AF but previously you didn't get this also.

- Green mode: This basically behaves like LA-EA3 adapter sony provides for a-mount. So this is basically PDAF (i.e. not hybrid AF) and only basic AF-S and AF-C modes. With latest A7RIII, A7III and A9 bodies you also get eye-AF but previously you didn't get this also.

Thanks. I'll be using mainly Canon L series lenses so will plump for the Metabones.

MC-11 does two things:
- With "unsupported lens" lenses you basically get the same utility as Sony provides with LA-EA3 adapter for a-mount. This is basically only PDAF (i.e. not hybrid AF) and only basic AF-S and AF-C modes. I hear with latest m3 bodies and A9 you also get eye-AF but previously you didn't get this also.

- Green mode: This basically behaves like LA-EA3 adapter sony provides for a-mount. So this is basically only PDAF (i.e. not hybrid AF) and only basic AF-S and AF-C modes. With latest A7RIII, A7III and A9 bodies you also get eye-AF but previously you didn't get this also.

With the MC-11 when you say unsupported lenses do you mean some sigma aren’t supported, or by unsupported are you referring to using Canon lenses?

With the MC-11 when you say unsupported lenses do you mean some sigma aren’t supported, or by unsupported are you referring to using Canon lenses?

by unsupported I mean basically any EF lens (this includes all first party and third party lenses) that is not on the supported list.

Also forgot to mention... mc-11 only works with EF lenses and not EF-S lenses. Metabones works with both EF and EF-S lenses :)

Last edited:
I have one for sale in the sales section of this forum if you are interested :)
Despite being a member of the forum for a few years I lapsed for a bit and am a few posts short of being able to view the sales section at this time.

Care to share?

http://www.pdg-photography.co.uk/pa...n-club-2018/dressage-17.03.18.php?gall_id=510

This is the link to the low res shots and they are very low res I think. These were with the A9 + 70-200 G master. The first page is all of my Wife and Brendan.

My D750 pics of exactly same venue from different view are in the D750 thread.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d750.557831/page-837

It’s quite hard to to a direct comparison when the ones on the website are low res and as soon as you make them bigger then go to f***.

Last edited:
yes with latest mk3 bodies and A9 you get eye-AF also, but with previous bodies you didn't get that either.
I am still shooting with A7RII, so no eye-AF for me :(

I think the question is how much better the Metabones are in real world use. Jason Lanier did a few of these videos but all his subjects and very static, well lit so different to what i do.

http://www.pdg-photography.co.uk/pa...n-club-2018/dressage-17.03.18.php?gall_id=510

This is the link to the low res shots and they are very low res I think. These were with the A9 + 70-200 G master. The first page is all of my Wife and Brendan.

My D750 pics of exactly same venue from different view are in the D750 thread.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d750.557831/page-837

It’s quite hard to to a direct comparison when the ones on the website are low res and as soon as you make them bigger then go to f***.
Difficult to tell viewing on the iPhone, but my initial impression is that I prefer yours

I think the question is how much better the Metabones are in real world use. Jason Lanier did a few of these videos but all his subjects and very static, well lit so different to what i do.

Its generally better for canon lenses and also some sigma lenses that don't perform particularly well on mc-11 (mainly zooms, most supported sigma primes play nicely with MC-11). But if your set of sigma and canon lenses are working well with mc-11 then there is no real need to buy metabones until you happen to come across a lens that's particularly better with metabones. My opinion anyways.... I am sure you will find people who will claim metabones is faster and better than MC-11 but having owned and used both I didn't notice any real world difference.

Difficult to tell viewing on the iPhone, but my initial impression is that I prefer yours

Yes I prefer his too as they are more close up and i think it the processing I like too..

The other guys they seem bit too far away and prob not process as good. But as you say Low Res image too doesn't help

He also had a better position than me. Hard to explain but the light in that school is different from one end to the other.

I was at side, he was inside the arena itself facing up towards the best light.

I was sometimes pushing 10,000 iso but mainly 7500. Not sure on his settings though.

He also had a better position than me. Hard to explain but the light in that school is different from one end to the other.

I was at side, he was inside the arena itself facing up towards the best light.

I was sometimes pushing 10,000 iso but mainly 7500. Not sure on his settings though.

Why didnt he zoom in as much s you did.. that what I like about yours

by unsupported I mean basically any EF lens (this includes all first party and third party lenses) that is not on the supported list.

Also forgot to mention... mc-11 only works with EF lenses and not EF-S lenses. Metabones works with both EF and EF-S lenses :)

Might be a daft question with this Sigma adaptor for the sony camera can it take Any sigma fit like canon and nikon

Why didnt he zoom in as much s you did.. that what I like about yours

I think maybe he just uploaded straight from camera as the files went up pretty quick. I won’t usually upload anything before cropping and processing.

I find that at shows most photographers don’t do anything. Upload and sell. A lot of it is because they sell them on site.

Of course you can buy them and crop them yourself but one of the businesses that cover a lot of events my way charge £25 for 1 high res jpeg or £60 for copyright free version!!

I think maybe he just uploaded straight from camera as the files went up pretty quick. I won’t usually upload anything before cropping and processing.

I find that at shows most photographers don’t do anything. Upload and sell. A lot of it is because they sell them on site.

Of course you can buy them and crop them yourself but one of the businesses that cover a lot of events my way charge £25 for 1 high res jpeg or £60 for copyright free version!!

Ah with you there pal.. Hmm interesting..

How much crop did you do on yours?

Ah with you there pal.. Hmm interesting..

How much crop did you do on yours?

Not much really. Some of them didn’t need anyway. Nothing cropped drastically though!

I mean it’s hard to tell but I don’t think his A9 did anything spectacular compared to the D750. But the light in that place is do bad I think most cameras struggle a bit.

I tried the d850. What a brick!

It was BIG, it makes the 5D4 like a DSLR on a diet.

I am looking at the Sony now and think….how do they make it so small…it's smaller than the X-T1. The amount of tech in it is amazing in this Sony. I can't wait to try out the Eye-AF.

But it seems all the lenses work as they should, except the 100L. Not sure how the metabones will work with that but MC-11 is certainly a no go for AF purposes. When it works, its okay, but half the time it doesn't. Turning on or off the IS can make the whole lens unresponsive. I keep having to check whether i left the lens in Manual focus or not when it isn't responding. Ah well, you can't win them all.

There is also a weird thing, when mounting a lens onto the Sony, not sure what signal it sends to the lens because it turns all lenses' aperture ring to close up. Whereas when you mount a lens on a Canon, it opens it wide when you take it off.

I am looking at the Sony now and think….how do they make it so small…it's smaller than the X-T1. The amount of tech in it is amazing in this Sony. I can't wait to try out the Eye-AF.

But it seems all the lenses work as they should, except the 100L. Not sure how the metabones will work with that but MC-11 is certainly a no go for AF purposes. When it works, its okay, but half the time it doesn't. Turning on or off the IS can make the whole lens unresponsive. I keep having to check whether i left the lens in Manual focus or not when it isn't responding. Ah well, you can't win them all.

There is also a weird thing, when mounting a lens onto the Sony, not sure what signal it sends to the lens because it turns all lenses' aperture ring to close up. Whereas when you mount a lens on a Canon, it opens it wide when you take it off.

Ime Metabones will be the same. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Not to be relied upon for anything important.

Got a couple of high res jpegs coming so can post them up next to my jpegs to get an idea of how they compare.
Cool. Tbh, I was just interested to see what ‘pros’ shoot, not overly fussed about about directly comparing IQ but I guess would be interesting.

Actually the metabones was the only adapter with which 100L used to work properly (but it's a macro lens after all so AF won't be fast!).

You are welcome to try mine, as long as you are happy to bear postage both ways if you want to return it :)

Cool. Tbh, I was just interested to see what ‘pros’ shoot, not overly fussed about about directly comparing IQ but I guess would be interesting.

Be interesting too see what you think. I know people talk about action in low light, but this venue was worse than a dim church. I should have taken pic on iPhone for reference!

Back